Game-Labs Forum

>>>Core Patch 1.0 Feedback<<<

Nick Thomadis

@Nick Thomadis

My immediate first impression is that your optimisation efforts have been extremely well-spent.  I haven't done any benchmarking yet, but the game instantly feels lighter, faster, and more responsive across the board.  Well done.

Edit:  I forgot to mention, certain late-tier technologies such as Diesels, Gas Turbines, and Anti-Torp V have become unavailable in 1940 Custom Battles, presumably due to the new campaign progression system.

Edited by Masonator
  • Like 3

I get atrociously long loading times for the campaign for some reason. About 20 minutes of loading when starting a new campaign, almost a minute of loading for each turn. Even though I have the game on an internal SSD and have never experienced performance issues with it before (battles and the ship designer load quickly as normal)

Edit: load time on Continue Campaign is normal (quick) as well

Edit2: the problem is not reproducable anymore now

Edited by Terka1917
  • Like 1

When moving the sliders, the tooltip completely blocks the percentage, making it harder to fine tune. Having the tooltip appear above, or below the slider would help.
Also we need slightly better fine tuning or the ability to type in numbers the the %. On transport capacity in particular I find it impossible to get some even numbers.

Selecting ports for every ship is very tedious. A way to auto-assign to a chosen port would be great, or even a way to assign more than one at a time. Things like this add to repetitive strain.

Selecting "View Ship" from the fleet screen, and then from there clicking on one of the ship designs, removed the ship I was viewing and replaced it with nothing. I was then stuck on a screen I had no way of getting out of and had to hard close the game to restart.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, DerRichtigeArzt said:

I didn't bother to do any naval and I can play normaly, its a bug. 

so far I have one problem, when designing your own legacy fleet, there should be an instant build time and a set budget for this fleet, I started the campaign, my budget is the same as if I had the legacy autogenerated fleet but I dont have it. Imo if the player chooses to build his own legacy fleet they should start at turn -1 and build as much as budget allows then end turn and the ships should be there next turn, or at least 80% of them while the remaining 20% should be in advanced stages of construction. Right now I have 0 ships and no way to contest the enemy even if they only have 1 ship in the battle(got lucky once tho and 2 tbs attacked an armed covoy and they got killed xD)

Wait? So It's a bug? Hope it gets fixed in that case. I'd really just like to play the campaign without being forced to complete 3 missions.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jorlaan said:

When moving the sliders, the tooltip completely blocks the percentage, making it harder to fine tune. Having the tooltip appear above, or below the slider would help.
Also we need slightly better fine tuning or the ability to type in numbers the the %. On transport capacity in particular I find it impossible to get some even numbers.

Selecting ports for every ship is very tedious. A way to auto-assign to a chosen port would be great, or even a way to assign more than one at a time. Things like this add to repetitive strain.

Selecting "View Ship" from the fleet screen, and then from there clicking on one of the ship designs, removed the ship I was viewing and replaced it with nothing. I was then stuck on a screen I had no way of getting out of and had to hard close the game to restart.

The way to get around this is to click on the slider and then move your mouse out of the way. Lets you adjust the sliders to a precise setting.

Though I agree this should be changed somehow in future versions.

Also, a general question: is it possible to name/rename ships while they're being built, or after? I can only seem to name the ship classes. I'm unsure if I'm just not looking hard enough, or if it hasn't been implemented yet.

49 minutes ago, DerRichtigeArzt said:

so far I have one problem, when designing your own legacy fleet, there should be an instant build time and a set budget for this fleet, I started the campaign, my budget is the same as if I had the legacy autogenerated fleet but I dont have it. Imo if the player chooses to build his own legacy fleet they should start at turn -1 and build as much as budget allows then end turn and the ships should be there next turn, or at least 80% of them while the remaining 20% should be in advanced stages of construction. Right now I have 0 ships and no way to contest the enemy even if they only have 1 ship in the battle(got lucky once tho and 2 tbs attacked an armed covoy and they got killed xD)

This is actually directly contrary to my own experience. I selected design my own fleet, designed them, built a whole bunch and then hit "start campaign" and they were all built and ready to go on turn 1. It seemed to work exactly as you're wanting it to. A bug of some sort?

Edited by Jorlaan

1 hour ago, DerRichtigeArzt said:

can I have this post deleted somehow? it only causes confusion and upon further testing ot must have been my error and not a fault of the game.

Several times when designing a ship, I cannot select advanced engines like Diesels or Gas Turbines, despite being 1940.
Also, the designs are not always saved, I have to design them anew.
Again, several main guns have no true firing arc, namely 17 inch or larger cannot be placed on standard german battleships.

Scroll speed on the map is far too slow. I also just got a crash while it was proccessing march 1891, it hung for awhile then screen was flickering I had to exit. I didn't see a save campaign button anywhere. Is there one?

Edit: ah it auto saves :)

Edited by Proteus

ok so an actual bug, I had a mission "important convoy" and I had 2 CA and 2 CL vs 3CA and 3 Tr. the goal was to kill the transports and protect 50% of my fleet, I got almost unscathed, I caused flooding in 3 compartments and an engine damage to one of the 3 enemy CA and I sank all Tr and I only got 1 VP and they got 3. strange that for completeing a mission objective and coming out with basicly paint scratched I get less VP than the enemy. Also 1 and 3 VP seems awfully low, like extreamly low even for a draw which it was not, it was a decisive victory on my part. 

Screenshot_1.png

Edited by DerRichtigeArzt
sauce

Given that I was one of the ones that had to play the Naval Academy (oh well, some bugs are bound to come up. We signed up for early access after all!), one thought came to mind. Currently, the way the Naval Academy is structured, you get "Target Practice" then the two Ironclad missions, followed by the Gun, Speed, and Torpedo Basic missions. Unfortunately, due to the design of the Ironclad missions (while extremely fun), you do learn some bad practices from them.

May I recommend pre-fixing/tagging each mission with a "type" of mission as a guide to new players?

For example, tag the Target Practice, Gun, Speed, and Torpedo basics missions as: "Basics: Target Practice" and so on.

Differentiate the ironclad missions as either "Historical: First Turrets: USS Monitor" or "Challenge: First Turrets: USS Monitor". That would guide a new player into knowing that these are not learning missions, but ones to challenge you. If you want to lump everything as "Challenge" that's fine. If you want to institute both categories, I'd say any mission with a semi-historical setup (like Jutland or the others) would be named Historical, with the rest being Challenges. 

Finally, introduce a third class of missions for some, which I'll name "Core:". These missions would be like Design a Dreadnought, Modern Battleship, or Rise of the Heavy Cruiser, where you get introduced to new design philosophies. This tells a new player, "Hey you're going to learn something important in this mission. Pay attention, buddy."

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tycondero said:

Just had the game freeze up when trying to proceed to the next turn. Had to force quit the game.

I had this issue as well, sort of, except the game didn't completely freeze. Turns go very smoothly for 1890 and January 1891, but after that turns take about 15-20 seconds to load after that.

I will echo what someone else said earlier, though: the game really does feel much better optimized than in previous versions, which is a really good sign.

Edited by Speglord

y0VMcM1.jpg

lo41XPj.jpg

2 hours ago, Nick Thomadis said:

This should not happen normally. There was no preference from our side to reset mission progress. None of our testers reported such an issue either. 

It happened when I went through all the missions before Bismarck&Hood patch and some of the missions that came with B&H. After that, at some point, all progress was reset, but by that time I stop playing, so I didn't care.