Game-Labs Forum

>>>Core Patch 1.0 Feedback<<<

Nick Thomadis

My experience with the campaign so far:

1. Start new campaign
  2. Set research etc.
  3. Check the map for any missions.
  4. End first (second, third, fourth, ad nauseum) turn.
  5. Lose X transports.
  6. Tank your GDP.

Needless to say, this is neither fun nor engaging gameplay.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I have just completed my first campaign as the Germans, and going to start a British one sooh.

Tips for other players:

•  Make sure to be spending enough money to construct/purchase more transport ships, a lot of the players complaining about transport losses tanking their economy are not keeping their transports at 100%.  You can go higher but it's not clear if there's much of a benefit for doing so, I had 160% capacity at one point.
  • Try and put ships at ports closer to your enemy, mostly the North Sea ports for both sides, as ships in ports further away don't seem to help too much unless you're already losing in the North Sea anyways.
  • Always be building dock space, smaller increments are generally better because you gain no cost or time savings for making larger upgrades at once, so improving by 500 tons immediately gives you the benefit of 500 tons in 6 months while if you built 1,000 tons you won't get any benefit of it until 12 months elapse.
  • Have some of your non-BB ships be heavily focused on speed incase the ships are part of a convoy raid or defense.  Being able to zip into the convoys to protect/attack them before they get destroyed/reinforced, is great.
  • My German campaign lasted ~5 years (Manual resolving most battles), don't waste research priority on something that will take a stupidly long time, especially considering research priorities slow down all other researches, including other research priorities.
  • Auto resolving a battle is better than skipping it, as damage during auto resolve is *generally* not that critical and the victory point loss of skipping it can be very high.  It isn't uncommon to see a cruiser duel result in light damage for both sides and ~15 or so VPs per side.
  • Skipping convoy raids (but not convoy defenses) has no impact on VP.  Sometimes the enemy will have half their fleet protecting their convoys against a couple of your CLs, just skip it.
  • Crew training is currently bugged and lets you train crews to veteran, take advantage of it for now until it's fixed, the AI Will and you'll be sending Cadet crews against their veterans otherwise.

Hope this helps!

Edited by bwc153
Playing UK Campaign now and more things I have seen.
  • Like 5

I encountered several big gameplay issues while playing the campaign.

1. The Enemy AI is way to conservative.   a lot of the time i engaged in battle the enemy simply said  "nope" and decided to cruise  away from me. even when they had the advantage in tonnage.Many times i simply could not catch up with them leading to multiple engagements ending in a draw without  a single shot fired.  This happened to me 6 times in a row last night. Not fun at all.

2. A turn should take 3 or 4 months instead of the 1 month we have right now.  It takes way too long to get any new technology researched. Leading to the Pre-dreadnought period lasting  too long. making ship design in the campaign extremely boring. doing 3-4 month turns would significantly lessen the time the player needs to  spend to be  able to evolve his designs. Which is the point of the game.

Otherwise its pretty good for an Alpha campaign.

Edited by ReefKip
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Skeksis said:

Wars don't last that long, if you send the enemy to the bottom, maybe action a blockade, you can win a war/campaign in 3-4 years, and unlock the next decade. 

I.e. you don't actually have fight for the whole decade long. 

In the prior statements fomo the devs, they stated we can pick the time period we wish to start in. The game is forcing us to start in 1890. I would rather start in 1930-1940.  The slider on the main menu to pick your time frame is grayed out. Is this going to be fixed in a future patch?

Hello!
I have a bug where since the last patch, custom battles are completely non-functional. After clicking "custom battle" the game freezes on the starting page. The change to the next page occurs only after another click on the "custom battle" button. The game then goes to a familiar window, but in which it is not possible to press any of the buttons visible below or to change any options, or to even go back to game start page. Everything seems get stuck and only closing game from task manager is possible.

I have the latest game patch, also used the game repair option (from launcher) and it has not had any effect, I have also removed the two previously mentioned files with saved ship designs - also did not fix this issue.

bug1.jpg

bug2.jpg

Edited by UltimateShipAdmiral

Two other positive feedbacks, though not campaign related.

That tweak about damaged ships no longer slowing down the division? Godsend for my destroyers who now maintain full speed despite their propensity to get damaged. Really loving it.

Secondly, the steering components: Extremely meaningful, especially in the 1910s campaign. My first set of destroyers were economical models the eschewed steering for other stuff. They were awesome, with guns and armor galore. My third set of destroyers were very maneuver focused. The ability to turn on a dime (compared to the other destroyers) meant I could safely handle torpedoes (though it did come at weight penalties that made them just a slight downgrade from my first in terms of armor/armament). Love how different they felt, both in the designer and out in battle.

Awesome concept for the steering components. They are a very meaningful component and a very useful one as well. And, as of my personal feeling, they're fairly well-balanced in terms of what they do and how much they weigh/cost. It was enough to make it a conscious design choice, not just click and move on, but it also gives you a decisive result. Definitely like.

• Like 1

Jesus Christ... I don't know what to say here. The campaign is just too limited. Already a bunch of people complaining about the time frame because they can't get their WOWS dopamine fix. And I can't blame them. This campaign does not have peace time, so it's constant warfare. And the problem with that is... your starting fleet will probably be your final fleet, at least for 1890 campaign. You won't be designing anything new because technology advances too slow while every other turn, there's a small clash between a CL and... a CL.

The above piles upon that fact that the gunnery system and the damage system are busted leads to frustration. My advice to the dev is this: open up the campaign starting date so everyone can play whatever they wish, so they can stop complaining about the era that they hate, ruining that era combat even more for everyone. Ffs, I get it, you like 100 20'' guns on your 1 trillion tons floating hunk of fantasy metal. And then, since everyone can play whatever they wish, look at how the feedback is given for each era, 1890 - 1905, 1905- 1920, 1920-1930, 1930-1940. And then start fixing it from the ground up.

For my 1890 feedback, gunnery needs to be fixed. The way that ship movement affects gunnery is not historically accurate or is it even "fun" in terms of a "video game". Somehow, 11 inch guns misses a target 300m away that is as big as a typical shopping mall in U.S neighborhood is not ok. Targets turning in place after taking damage should not incur 50% movement penalty toward the shell firing at it. This also means that ships that are slow but turning should not incur 80% penalty... Small guns at close range needs to be way more accurate. We are talking 1890s not 1400s cannons. But we are talking about 1890 torpedoes... We desperately need torpedo failure in this game. They need to have chance to fail to launch, fail to reach the target, chance to veer off target which could lead to torpedo turning around at your own battle line, chances to not detonate even at 90 degree angle impact, and definitely chance to not detonate at weird angle. At of now, torpedo are too powerful with little downside. (This is for 1890-1905 only since torpedo defenses are not strong, later on torpedo defenses are just fantasy armor, please fix that as well).

About the range, let's talk about the spotting mechanic. Please, for the love of everything that is holy, If someone can't see a shopping mall floating in the middle of the ocean 10km away while on top of a battleship, they should be referred to the hospital for eye treatment, not ranking up in the imperial navy. Why is the spotting so atrocious in 1890 tech? I can't see a torpedo boat 2.8km away? I can't see a battleship 4-5km away? I can't see anything at all. And this is not new, everyone has given loads of feedback on this since 2 years ago. I think spotting should be removed like people have said. Instead, better tech towers should just allow faster and more accurate ranging for the guns. A battleship built in 1890 can still see a another ship at 10km or more, but firing with 1890 "fire control system" at that range would result in nothing more than a water show at Universal.

And then we have the damage system... I... really really hate it. A torpedo boat can survive 11inch hits left and right before sinking, but my CL takes 1 2'' hit to be 40% flooded. Need I say more? Ships can survive insane amount of damage from large caliber guns while small caliber guns are useless against torpedo boats in terms of damage dealt. Also damage to the hull needs way more damage type other than penetration, fire, partial pen, etc. Such as hits near turrets should have chances to disable them. Turrets damage state should not be either operating or disabled, it should have another state of being damaged and need time to be fixed.

What this game needs is a crew morale system like in UA:AoS. If a ship took enough damage, the crew should either abandon/scuttle the ship or surrender. Crews are way too hard to kill right now, crew should not be so good at doing their job when the ship is on fire all over, engine dead, and flooding heavily. So many times, a ship is 30% floating and still manage to hit multiple shots against my ships while my ship is perfectly fine misses at 39% accuracy. This needs to be addressed.

And campaign needs to have a refit option for built ships, allowing us to give built ship more tonnage to a limited degree and upgrade various ship system/weapons. But that's not as important as the problems I have above... and probably problems many people have too.

Edited by ColonelHenry
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 4

Just finished my first 1890s campaign playing as British, still needs a lot of work obviously, but it was enjoyable and has managed to completely turn round my opinion on torpedo boats, up until now, I've hated them and hated using them, because they just died too quickly, but in the campaign they quickly became the MVP of my fleet. By the end of the campaign, I was pretty much just using BB and CA to draw fire, while the torpedo boat swarms(I ended with about 35 torpedo boats in total)  got in close and dropped their deadly load.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Evil4Zerggin said:

Repair cost should be prorated for < 1 month worth of damage, spending 2 million to repair 0.5% damage is kind of bad.

An alternative would be to let you decide whether to repair less than 1 month worth of damage - if you are in wartime, and your ship is only slightly scratched, you probably won't dock it at all.

• Like 1

Sometimes my German ships return from missions or repairs into baltic ports and since I can't find a way to move ships they seem to be stuck there for the rest of the game. Is there anything I can do to get them back into the North Sea and the fight?

1 hour ago, Diesel said:

Sometimes my German ships return from missions or repairs into baltic ports and since I can't find a way to move ships they seem to be stuck there for the rest of the game. Is there anything I can do to get them back into the North Sea and the fight?

The option exists but its gray and non functional. The only way is to hope its gonna go back to a useful port. 

9 minutes ago, DerRichtigeArzt said:

The option exists but its gray and non functional. The only way is to hope its gonna go back to a useful port. 

I wonder why they don't just disable the baltic ports for now. They are useless in a conflict against britain and randomly make parts of your fleet useless.

Love it great first Core implementation!

Really enjoyed rule the waves 2.....if you can implement those features and with your amazing graphics and design features this will be a WINNER!! 

Appreciate your hard work!!

• Like 2

Enjoying the limited campaign but would really want to see if it's night night time without checking the icon.

Hopefully starshells and search lights will be a thing because on a cloudy moonless night you see nothing but blackness no matter what the range.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Nick Thomadis said:

Due to the nature of the limited campaign, it should not be possible to reach 1940 from 1890s with constant war. Wars should last on average not more than 10 years.

14 years is still fine? 

RcZt8Yp.jpg

First impressions:

- slow research + minimal choice of early hulls = starter ships will end company. Even if the company goes on 14 years.

Using all three Free Priority points for some reason is a noob trap: using one point gives + 50% acceleration to the selected research, but slows down all other (!!!) research by 50%. 

The second and third Free Priority points do the same, essentially slowing down all research in total by 150% (!!!). This modifier even affects selected research, as a result, they are have 25% acceleration. That's not bad, but certainly not at the cost of slowing down everything else by 150%. I find this a rather odd design.

• Thanks 1

Finally launched the battles on a tactical level. The first battle was port defense, I could not find the enemy. Second battle, protection of the convoy, the enemy could not find the convoy. Third battle - Battle, could not find the enemy. 

For me, this is one of the most frustrating experiences for last thirty years in PC games. I have no censorship word for your work.

Edited by TAKTCOM
WAR FOR IMPROVEMENT

1 hour ago, jimmytwohand said:

Would love to be able to accelerate time more when closer to enemy ships. 45+irl minute stern chases are tedious and the battles generally seem too long when there is no option to save them part way through.

Yes, I agree. The 1890 start made it quite clear that playing battles is painfully slow because everything is slow with these ships. Should be no problem for the devs to allow the increase of the accelerated time more.

• Like 1