Game-Labs Forum

>>>Core Patch 1.0 Feedback<<<

Nick Thomadis

36 minutes ago, T_the_ferret said:

Cptbarney, those are supposed to be the 3 core patches in one. Only core patch left is nation expansion which i doubt will release before the new year.

Yeah, i know. Im wondering if they will still go with a few more core patches to allow for more mechanics like better gunnery, re-designs, mechanical overhauls, mod support etc.

• Like 1

Okay so I have played around 10h of the campaign and these are my thoughts:

1. the game generates bad missions too often and the speed up is not fast enaugh to deal with the more boring ones, eg. I have 4 CA and the enemy has 2 CA and 1CL, ofcourse I am winning, bu the auto resolve will either do nothing or go bonkers and loose me a ship in this scenario, so I have to battle.

Solution- allow me to speed up in more smaller increments, 1x 2x 3x 4x 5x 6x 7x etc. and allow higher speedup closer to the enemy, especialy if the only visible enemy are transports. 

2. progress is very very slow, as in, the game generates too many battles, as I established I have to fight 95% of battles manualy, but the game keep generates battles like 1CL vs 1CL, not only are they boring, they also last for ever bc early tech cant hit a broad side of a barn.

Solution- generate less missions, but more important ones

3. AI itslef, is very very not great. I started as germany and I had 3 BB 6CA 12CL and 18TB, and the ai had about double of what I had since, ya know, brittan. in one and a half year I managed to be winning in every category of ship. And since the war is neverending I basicly won. Also AI does not seem to be building new ships(maybe they just lack money i dunno)

Solution is pretty obvious but I understand that AI is probably the hardest thing to code in the game so just, good luck I guess. 

4. Bugs and bad implementations, I had a bug where I could not interact with my fleet at all, it was a loosing battle for me so I had to fight manualy but I could not issue orders at all, this is when I discovered another bug, if you neither fight nor auto battle and just ignore and next turn, nothing happens, so unfavorable battles can just be avoided. 

If a ship is critically damaged, cannot move and is surounded, and you end battle, it has a chance to survive, even tho it has 0 engines and like 5% flotation. Imo if a ship is in the red on flotation and/or structure, it should have a chance to sink. 40% for each and if both are in the red amplify to 95%(maybe also scale with distance to the nearest base, the farther away the less likely the ship is to survive and vice versa)

Winning some missions grants 0 VP, while those are not important, its cool to see who is winning, and the sooner you fix it the less you have to fix later so do with is as you will. Transport missions give almost no vp, if you need to kill transports, ignore them and go for the warships instead, and if the battle is not in ur favor just run away, the enemy will not get vp for succesfully geting an important convoy to its destination. the solution is simple, give a flat VP raward for completeing the task and scale it with the importance(5 tr=500VP 10tr+1000VP etc) 

killing transports in battle does not affect the transport capacity, if you want to damage the economy then you have to blocade and kill the via map screen. obv solution. 

For the limited funcionality of the campaign I had quite a bit of fun, from a loosing war I went to winning and it just felt good to manage rescourses and actualy care for your ships.

Mission generator while barebones and sometimes generation infiuriating battles is working and does its job(just as I said tone it down or noone ever will reach 1940s from 1890s) research is cool and free of bugs as far as I have seen, world map looks amazing, do not change the style of the map its beautiful.

Finance is cool to manage if convoluted at times. One time my tr capacity is 30% and I am 2mil behind bc of that, and in 5 turns it grew 15% but somehow I am 4mil behind.

Ship design and ship building are as they should be, we need more old hulls, playing with the same toys gets boring.

Fleet management itself is limited, and MOVE SHIP needs to be coded in ASAP, as if you forget to set where you want the ships to go they will be assigned at random and will be stuck there. this is how I had 4 BB in the baltic and only 1 in the north sea. 

I think that is all, overall we knew it will not be ideal but it is still pretty good for Core 1. hopefully we dont have to wait a year for Core 2. 

Edited by DerRichtigeArzt
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, DerRichtigeArzt said:

or noone ever will reach 1940s from 1890s

Due to the nature of the limited campaign, it should not be possible to reach 1940 from 1890s with constant war. Wars should last on average not more than 10 years. You can unlock initial years when you win campaigns.
The longevity of the campaign will be balanced out accordingly as we expand the campaign map and its features.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Friedrich Hardenberg said:

Heho
Just a small thing but it would be really nice if I could rename the ships and not just the class.

For example I'm used to name classes of smaller vessels of Germany for example 'Torpedoschnellboot 1890' or something like that. Not really a Name for a ship :D

I haven’t played the campaign yet, but we can’t name our individual ships?? That seems odd. That’s definitely something I would want.

• Like 1

I agree with the guys above, at close range all penalties should diminish, maneuvers, cloudy weather, all those things mean nothing when the shell travel time is <1sec and you could aim over open sights. For secondary guns <600m, it should be around 70% to hit, not 20%(at best). Torpedo boats are literally unstoppable in 1890, both my own and my enemy are always able to deliver their torpedoes, reload and come back again.  

I had a situation where a torpedo boat had 3x engine damage, rudder, etc... essentially dead in the water but was generating a -70% to hit (enemy maneuvers). Sinking it took twice as long as it did 2x enemy CA.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, davidt_man said:

I thought we could pick the time period we wished to start in. The game is forcing me to start in 1890.  I absolutely hate pre dreadnaughts.

Wars don't last that long, if you send the enemy to the bottom, maybe action a blockade, you can win a war/campaign in 3-4 years, and unlock the next decade. 

I.e. you don't actually have fight for the whole decade long. 

Edited by Skeksis

2 hours ago, DerRichtigeArzt said:

Okay so I have played around 10h of the campaign and these are my thoughts:

1. the game generates bad missions too often and the speed up is not fast enaugh to deal with the more boring ones, eg. I have 4 CA and the enemy has 2 CA and 1CL, ofcourse I am winning, bu the auto resolve will either do nothing or go bonkers and loose me a ship in this scenario, so I have to battle.

Solution- allow me to speed up in more smaller increments, 1x 2x 3x 4x 5x 6x 7x etc. and allow higher speedup closer to the enemy, especialy if the only visible enemy are transports. 

2. progress is very very slow, as in, the game generates too many battles, as I established I have to fight 95% of battles manualy, but the game keep generates battles like 1CL vs 1CL, not only are they boring, they also last for ever bc early tech cant hit a broad side of a barn.

Solution- generate less missions, but more important one

Hey, speak for yourself! 😁

I like small battles more then the big ones and find them more interesting. Plese do not remove 1 vs. 1 ship battles and small engagements. I absolutely hate big fleet slugfests.

I like how the campaign is realised, how external factors such as economy, finances, crew, ports and transport capacities influence what happens at sea. You can already see how much potential there is behind the idea. 

What disturbs me, however, is the current turn-based implementation. I had hoped that we would get some kind of "real-time" gameplay, so that my fleets would be on the move on the sea themselves and not just randomly decide who and where to meet for battle. 

Those who remember Jutland will know what I mean. 

Is the turn-based gameplay only for the test or will the campaign actually work like that in the future?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ehrler said:

...Is the turn-based gameplay only for the test or will the campaign actually work like that in the future?

It seems they're going with a Rule the Waves style game which makes sense.

I do want to add that having seen the framework of the campaign I think they're really onto something and I am very optimistic about the future of this game well beyond release, there's just a ton of potential. I just wish it was easier to mod unity, or I should say I have no experience. 

Is there a suite of tools, or perhaps we should make a sub heading for mod discussion.

7 minutes ago, T_the_ferret said:

For some reason after the latest patch i simply cannot do custom battles with my own models anymore. Every time i try it ends up being an auto-designed model instead

I had the same issue as posted above and they hotfixed it,  try restarting your game, might fix it

9 minutes ago, T_the_ferret said:

For some reason after the latest patch i simply cannot do custom battles with my own models anymore. Every time i try it ends up being an auto-designed model instead

Custom battles have been repaired, please restart your clients to update.

That's what this patch was for. 

1 minute ago, Commander Reed said:

Is it just me or is there something up with weight? Tried to build a custom battle ship and no matter how hard I try there is always like a 40-50% forward weight problem. I cant seem to reduce it to lower than 10 no matter how hard I try.

Does this come with pictures!

would help to debug.

My immediate impressions are as follows-
1- Yes, as I felt beforehand, I highly recommend the next 6 months are exclusively devoted to cleaning up and improving the Campaign. There's a lot of work to be done here, campaigners will be your core intended audience going forwards, and there's already some glaring issues that need to be addressed.

generally what I'm seeing from the community comment reactions on Youtube is the following-

-GUI needs work, some feel it is cartoon-y (This is near universal, no one has defended the UI, It definitely needs to be addressed)

-Historical setting was not historical enough (Britain had no battleships at 1890 start)

-Some were upset it was too similar to Rule The Waves (They wanted more campaign mechanics, or different ones)

-However, double that amount was happy for the same (so consider tweaking to be slightly more different but not too much)

-Too many tooltips, and yet not enough (needs polishing)

-One person recommended Nations getting specific mechanics (self addition- Government difference, politics difference?)

As for my personal experience, as it is Thanksgiving, I will not have time to test it until tomorrow at the soonest.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Faolind said:

1 minute ago, Faolind said:

-GUI needs work, some feel it is cartoon-y (This is near universal, no one has defended the UI, It definitely needs to be addressed

Please. The UI definitely needs work at some point. It should have a naval feel or something similar to that. It just feels quite bland, basic and boring as of now.

My overall impression of the campaign is that your income fluctuates WAY too much, and is almost entirely outside of your control. In my last campaign my GDP went negative, despite sinking every british battleship and a lot of their lighter craft, and there wasn't a damn thing I could do about it. randomly losing a bunch of transports each turn for no reason is incredibly frustrating.

My advice is that instead of the current system it is instead weighted so that transports are only lost during convoy battles, or when you choose to not do a convoy battle, and increase the frequency of convoy missions to compensate.

That way it feels like your loss of income from lost transports is due to your own actions and failures than RNG.