Game-Labs Forum

Exciting times ahead - pre-release wipes information

34 minutes ago, rediii said:

I will grind my slots again with PvP and hostility missions and I will have fun doing it. :) 

Then delete your character and start from scratch, no one can prevent you!
Others would prefer to avoid grinding again!
Does this seem an unsustainable claim for having happy customers? Or to "guarantee" this false start "from scratch" we must run the risk of having:
1. horrible reviews
2. few online players
3. closing the game after a few months
I only say it to know.
Thank you

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, MassimoSud said:

Then delete your character and start from scratch, no one can prevent you!
Others would prefer to avoid grinding again!
Does this seem an unsustainable claim for having happy customers? Or to "guarantee" this false start "from scratch" we must run the risk of having:
1. horrible reviews
2. few online players
3. closing the game after a few months
I only say it to know.
Thank you

Agree! 

This is a niche game that has been open for 3 years, I can't imagine there are thousands of people sitting on the sidelines thinking "I can't wait for this to go into final release, then I'll buy!" 18th century naval warfare is a lot smaller community than Sci-Fi, you have your audience, don't waste it.

• Like 3

I agree with Banished suggestion; give the XP back gradually to those who already have the maximum rank, no one should have to do the grind all over again for their ranks, ship xp and crafting xp. There will always be newbies, and they will always get slaughtered by experienced players sooner or later, and so full wipes would only serve to piss people off, and the majority I've already talked to are indeed pissed off over this decision. If you think this won't drive many players away from the game, or that the release will bring forth a renaissance of new players then you're just delusional.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Borch said:

You focused on the least important part of my feedback. My concerns still stand and you didnt provide any answer. The server post doesn't include information that xp and craft xp is not safe same as better structured main post. Wipe at release wont reach its goal. Any comments to main questions?

Release wipe announcements will be posted separately. Once there is full clarity on the issues. There is no point to deliberate this in here.
PVE/Peace server for example does not need reset on release and we might even keep ships on launch.

PVP/WAR server is hardcore and must be reset, the only question is what will remain and we will decide what's best for all players and will post the announcement once we are ready. All statements discussed in this thread for launch were only related to the PVP server.

• Like 12

I think we we're promised that XP would not be wiped.

Given that that is the case, please try to find a way to keep your promise. Other people have made suggestions and perhaps you could ask for others in case there is a better solution to the problem you percieve.

If you think that it will give us a unfair advantage, I understand, but I believe a consequence will be that some experienced players will prey on new players to recoup their "losses", real of imagined. This may lead to some very, very bad reviews.

One idea, if you sink a player several ranks below you, you lose XP and so possibly lose rank. This might deter old hands from sinking large numbers of new players. This may be unworkable, but breaking your promise about XP is unpalatable.

Kind regards.

2 hours ago, Percival Merewether said:

I feel like people in this topic has completely forgotten what they bought into... the game is unfinished and wipes WILL happen. You're basically here to test the game.. if you do not wish to test then I'd say the solution is fairly simple.. wait until the final release.

I have disagreed hundreds of times with moderators, developers and admin himself, but that has been in regards to game-changing decisions. The decision to wipe the server has zero impact on the gameplay and will force us TESTERS to go through things for a second time in order to TEST if things work properly.. Which is exactly what we're here to do.

For some of us, including me, this is my first EA game.  I was not warned at the purchase that things that I spent time earning would be taken away.  But just that the game was not finished and that the game was still in development.  I do understand the need to wipe some stuff in order to rework something which can not be gotten around via coding or compensated for in exchange for money (like giving a person money for tobacco he had if that is going to be taken from the game).

However, the decision to wipe XP, ships, materials, etc., is a decision and not something that is being done for the purposes of getting around coding.   All that is really happening is folks that have spent time building assets are going to loose those assets.  This is not different if in this December, we wipe everyone to zero assets as we anticipate more gamers coming in on a holiday sale.   And so the "even" playing field card can be used basically at any time in the future.   

Some games, like Battlefield 1942, which I played a lot, it does not matter how long you played as everyone has access to a gun, a tank, jeep, etc, and do it does not matter if one starts from scratch as that is all you have to begin with, these items, so nothing lost.

On the other hand are games like NA, where one has to spend several hours of human time to gain certain items, it is time spent.  To see that thrown away is frustrating.  We all have to go through the effort to gain these assets, why should we have to do it twice?

Also, there will always be new folks coming to the game and will be at a disadvantage what makes the release any different than new players buying the game in the middle of August?

As i have already stated a delay redeem on assets would be a perfect middle ground.  Folks who have worked hard keep their sweat equity and those noobs will have time to be up to speed before we get our assets back.  Seems like a perfect solution.  

• Like 3

Although I am disappointed that XP will be wiped, I can agree with the reasoning behind it. But what I am more disappointed about is the wipe of ship slots as they took a lot of time to grind up. With levelling XP it is not too bad as it gives you a chance to work up again through the ships and maybe revisit some you have not sailed in a while, but grinding slots is just painful especially now with the new AI spawn mechanics.

I think what we are going to find is how difficult it actually is now to grind up the ship slots and how difficult it will be for new players to unlock these slots. I did a lot of grinding on OW AI fleets during my hunt for the rare books and in doing this I worked through all the 1st to 3rd rate ships unlocking slots as well as some lower rates, but since getting all the books I needed I have been unable to face serious grinding of OW AI fleets and have tried to move more into PvP. When the Christian came out I was going to try and unlock slots on it but I just could not face the grind and any time I thought about where to go to find the OW AI fleets to grind on I just gave up and went to do something else. I am afraid that I will feel the same way for most ships after the wipe.

I do also think as a couple of others have pointed out that the game is not ready for release as there is not enough content to keep people occupied (Grinding again does not keep people occupied, just bored). From what I saw of the economy patch on the test server, I do not think it is in depth enough to keep the eco fans interested. Battles have always been the games greatest strength, but there are still too many issues with RoE. PvE that used to be readily available in many areas of the map is no longer available and instead we have friendly AI fleets sailing around just adding load on the servers and not much else (who has not been caught by a hunter with a large friendly fleet close by but just outside of the tag circle because the tag circle is so small now). Personally I think that unless there are some major additions to the game before release that we will be down to 500 players or less in a couple of months after launch.

Will I still play? Yes, because I love the genre and this is still the best looking Age of Sail game out there, but I guess we will see how many people will be lost because of these changes.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Archaos said:

Although I am disappointed that XP will be wiped, I can agree with the reasoning behind it. But what I am more disappointed about is the wipe of ship slots as they took a lot of time to grind up. With levelling XP it is not too bad as it gives you a chance to work up again through the ships and maybe revisit some you have not sailed in a while, but grinding slots is just painful especially now with the new AI spawn mechanics.

I think what we are going to find is how difficult it actually is now to grind up the ship slots and how difficult it will be for new players to unlock these slots. I did a lot of grinding on OW AI fleets during my hunt for the rare books and in doing this I worked through all the 1st to 3rd rate ships unlocking slots as well as some lower rates, but since getting all the books I needed I have been unable to face serious grinding of OW AI fleets and have tried to move more into PvP. When the Christian came out I was going to try and unlock slots on it but I just could not face the grind and any time I thought about where to go to find the OW AI fleets to grind on I just gave up and went to do something else. I am afraid that I will feel the same way for most ships after the wipe.

I do also think as a couple of others have pointed out that the game is not ready for release as there is not enough content to keep people occupied (Grinding again does not keep people occupied, just bored). From what I saw of the economy patch on the test server, I do not think it is in depth enough to keep the eco fans interested. Battles have always been the games greatest strength, but there are still too many issues with RoE. PvE that used to be readily available in many areas of the map is no longer available and instead we have friendly AI fleets sailing around just adding load on the servers and not much else (who has not been caught by a hunter with a large friendly fleet close by but just outside of the tag circle because the tag circle is so small now). Personally I think that unless there are some major additions to the game before release that we will be down to 500 players or less in a couple of months after launch.

Will I still play? Yes, because I love the genre and this is still the best looking Age of Sail game out there, but I guess we will see how many people will be lost because of these changes.

I am still going to play Naval Action...not detered by any wipes. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Yehoodi said:

For some of us, including me, this is my first EA game.  I was not warned at the purchase that things that I spent time earning would be taken away.  But just that the game was not finished and that the game was still in development.  I do understand the need to wipe some stuff in order to rework something which can not be gotten around via coding or compensated for in exchange for money (like giving a person money for tobacco he had if that is going to be taken from the game).

However, the decision to wipe XP, ships, materials, etc., is a decision and not something that is being done for the purposes of getting around coding.   All that is really happening is folks that have spent time building assets are going to loose those assets.  This is not different if in this December, we wipe everyone to zero assets as we anticipate more gamers coming in on a holiday sale.   And so the "even" playing field card can be used basically at any time in the future.   

Some games, like Battlefield 1942, which I played a lot, it does not matter how long you played as everyone has access to a gun, a tank, jeep, etc, and do it does not matter if one starts from scratch as that is all you have to begin with, these items, so nothing lost.

On the other hand are games like NA, where one has to spend several hours of human time to gain certain items, it is time spent.  To see that thrown away is frustrating.  We all have to go through the effort to gain these assets, why should we have to do it twice?

Also, there will always be new folks coming to the game and will be at a disadvantage what makes the release any different than new players buying the game in the middle of August?

As i have already stated a delay redeem on assets would be a perfect middle ground.  Folks who have worked hard keep their sweat equity and those noobs will have time to be up to speed before we get our assets back.  Seems like a perfect solution.  

I understand your problem, and I agree with you that an asset wipe is probably not the first thing to come to mind when buying into early access - with that said, it is a natural thing for a game that is in development to change and potential wipes do occur.

The reason for doing a complete wipe of certain materials, ships and other assets is to test changes quicker. eg.: trying to balance the economy will take months if people have assets worth millions - this is why a wipe is a great tool for developers because with a complete wipe of assets and cash you can test and balance the economy in only a couple of weeks. This drastically cuts down development time.

It is for the exact same reason that redeemable ships are given out for free when they are introduced to the game; to balance them quicker and not having to wait weeks for people to first find blueprints, get materials and then craft them.

Sometimes the developers give and sometimes they take away.. This is why I wholeheartedly support them every time we have a wipe and/or things are given away for free. I am however sometimes very vocal when I disagree with changes to the game, but wipes and free stuff are a necessary part of testing.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, angriff said:

ROFL The lifelong conspiracy of alt accounts.  Alt accounts are an enigma of the game that perverts its intent but as such we are unable to define their influence beyond conspiracies and a lie to rank and file players on player base and safety of cries for help.  Since Rank is not a factor in this wipe there is no need for alts to be used as a rank up cheat so their only use is a trading cheat. 

They are doing an economy wipe to test the new economy from scratch and following a question from players about how much Reals they would be left with in the clan warehouse to pay for port costs, the Admin answered 100k. So if people with multiple alts formed multiple 1 man clans they can effectively hide away a lot of money from the wipe thus negating most of the effect of the wipe as there will still be a lot of money in circulation and the new economy will not be tested properly.

Its not a conspiracy its a fact, I personally have 2 alts and have sufficient funds that need to be used or wiped that I can afford to create 1 man clans to lessen the effect of the Real's wipe and give myself a bit of an edge in the new economy. There are many players with a lot more alts than that and if you do not believe that they will do the same you are mistaken. It may not be as relevant for the release wipe, but for the economy wipe next week it is important.

If the worry is about clans losing ports because of lack of funds, they would be better removing port maintenance costs for a while and properly wiping majority of Reals from the economy to properly test it. 

All is ok for me, if IA ship are again capturable after the wipe and if traders ships drop resources again(hemp, wood et).

But yes, the knowledge are sacred!

And

What is the difference between "Yacht" and "Yacht Silver"? 

And maybe another gift sound very good:

yatch reedem are 100% gold ship + possibility too add the trim bonus, we want. ^^

@admin, did we every get confirmation as to whether the three hardcore nations (Prussia, Poland, Russia) are here to stay? Some people keep saying they are going away and the rest say they are here to stay. Can I get something from the horses mouth?