Game-Labs Forum

Exciting times ahead - pre-release wipes information

1 minute ago, Barents said:

I do agree with you on most part. On release i even think everything including ship knowledge and skill books should be wiped.

But i don´t see the (on my opinion) core problems of this game even adressed. There will be higher player numbers after release but why should i expect them to stay? And why should i do the grind again if don´t expect them to stay?

Depends what the players do and how they run.

If they join the War server and get into action like it is meant to, they gonna stay a long time just like the veterans right now. i wouldnt have played this game so long without getting active in RVR.

Besides RVR and PVP i agree that they gonna leave in the longer or shorter run. But content can still be added after release. A lot of developers and publishers make it like that nowadays.

8 minutes ago, admin said:

This is how your message reads to me: keep the stupid promise that stopped making sense, even if it is not good for the game. 

Never ever mentionned about stupid promises.

Indeed what makes (or would make) sense are decisions that will increase war server population.

So your reflexion about wiping XP does not quite make sense to me if it is going to reduce the motivation of the large population of "waiting players" to come back after the release.

This population is your capital on which you have relied to build the NA project.

So i'm just hoping to be wrong, or that you could find a compromise that would please both "newcomers" as well as "old waiting players".

I fully understand that is a dilema for you and you want to take the fairest decision as well as the best businesswise decision.

All I dream for is to be playing in a final NA with a sustainable server population, same as you. 

• Like 1

Can I please ask you to review the wiping of ship slots or if not at least change the way ship slots are unlocked. One of the biggest gripes with the game is the amount of PvE you have to do in a game that is supposed to be hardcore PvP, yet there is a requirement to unlock ship slots, which for most people means they head out to do PvE. I understand that the slots can be opened by doing PvP but the simple fact is that most people feel noncompetitive if they do not have majority of the slots open on a ship and thus are reluctant to engage in PvP with such ship.

People are always complaining that max rank players can be seen PvE'ing in the reinforcement zones, but they never consider that these players may be grinding slots on their ships. I was one of those people who spent a lot of time in the reinforcement zone or some relatively safe corner of the map fighting OW AI fleets to get rare books and unlock slots, but since getting the rare books and unlocking the slots on most of my ships I have turned more to PvP. I'm not a good PvP'er by any means and I could not say for sure that having the slots unlocked makes much difference to the battle results, but if given a choice to engage in PvP with a ship with slots unlocked or without I know which one I would choose.

In short, PLEASE change the way ship slots are unlocked as it is the most tedious part of the game that turns people off and I would say majority of the negative reaction to the wipe announcement is down to this. People may be able to get back to max rank in 2 to 3 weeks, but to unlock all the ship slots takes a lot longer.  

• Like 2

Until people know about the game. It is difficult to fill the PvP / PVE servers. Advertising is what the game lacks. Wipe XP is not a solution, it really is not and it badly happens. Remember the last Wipe, I and many guys have stopped playing for a long time. I apologize for my English

gl At any rate, it's a good game

https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/naval-action

1 hour ago, Neads O'Tune said:

They are not wiping XP as part of the Eco patch you fool! They are wiping XP at LAUNCH.

You don't even know what you are complaining about!

Oh I do and so do most. Ppl dont complaint about this wipe, but about xp wiped at realase. 

But you are right. You said I know nothing, you know all.

Just for the record. I complain abouth @admin broken promise. I give a shit about materiale wipe. We all know that would happend.

23 minutes ago, Hači_CZ said:

Until people know about the game. It is difficult to fill the PvP / PVE servers. Advertising is what the game lacks. Wipe XP is not a solution, it really is not and it badly happens. Remember the last Wipe, I and many guys have stopped playing for a long time. I apologize for my English

gl At any rate, it's a good game

https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/naval-action

No, CONTENT is what this game lacks. You can bring in 1000 people, but chances are, only 100 of those people will stay due to an extreme lack of content, coupled with an extremely repetitive grind. You can advertise all you want, but if those players dont stay, its all for naught.

Releasing the game and advertising it isn't going to magically make everything better. Age of Sail games aren't as niche as a flight sim, but they still dont have a large following over all. You burn those few people who are willing to give the game a try, and you'll most likely never get them back.

2 hours ago, Sir Max Magic said:

Finally someone of our Uber-Pros connection makes a statement, which sounds reasonable...and not selfish about losing stuff +1

@rediii you have my outmost respect !!! 👍👍

...all the other Pros should think and act alike !!!

Its a shame what some other Pros are doing right now (here in forums and on discord)

So we just all should be yes ppl. No not stay true to what er belive?

2 hours ago, admin said:

We declared that statement in 2015. We repeated the promise multiple times every year, planning to keep it because it made sense then. And even defended it when many loyal supporters we asking for the wipe, making many of them angry. 

And many loyal supporters is for keeping it. So not going back on your word, you just make them happy.

But it indeed stopped making sense. And we are upfront saying this in advance - this promise no longer make sense thus it will be retracted for the pvp server. This is how your message reads to me: keep the stupid promise that stopped making sense, even if it is not good for the game. 

Thats an opinion. Others disagree with you. You dont find any that is asking for something they think is bad for the game. Both pro and con players are dedicated and love this game and want it to succed. Lots just think you are going on the wrong part. Lots think you are right. Guess time will show us who was right.

Reset does not make sense on the PVE server - thus PVE server won't be reset
Reset makes a lot of sense on the War server - … lets do what makes sense.

Make sense to some ppl.

But even you should be able to understand why ppl get upset. Large part of Oure game play have been based on your repeted promise.

Now i know I just wasted time. And yes some of the grind was not all fun. Still love NA. But after this I will have a hard time to ser my self take part EA game from GL in the future.

Personally I feel like that promise just was made to keep ppl playing untill release. I have no fact to back it up, but thats how I feel.

Edited by staun
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Sovereign said:

If I had any say in this, I would want "Sea Lord" to be the max rank. It just sounds more distinct and powerful than "Lord of the Admiralty". Also, because I think there would be too many ranks with no purpose other than a bit more crew that you only need for fleet ships ( which are somewhat useless anyways outside of trading where you dont need the crew ).

Lord of the Admiralty could be a clan rank for clan leaders of large clans but can only get it if you all ready ranked up to Sea Lord.  It really doesn't do anything other than let folks know that is a clan leader of the clan.  Hell that could even be the name of the diplomatic (2-3 commands of a clan) could be listed as Sea Lords.   Thus the last two aren't really ranks other than if your in a clan but they get the same crew as maxed out solo players just a different title upon being put in such positions in a clan.

2 hours ago, s2bu said:

on the issue of ranks:

the Board of Admiralty consisted of the first lord of the admiralty (civilian), a bunch of sealords (selection of serving admirals) and a couple of other personell (depending on the time you are looking at)...

I think having these top ranks as achieveable player ranks that everyone will eventually get to in the long run is gonna have a weird feeling to it...   keeping in mind that there only ever was ONE first lord of the admiralty and a few sealords at any given moment in time.

Imho the player ranks should end before the "top notch pencil pusher level"  ;o)

See above....

2 hours ago, Angus MacDuff said:

If you do adjust the ranks, I hope you will adjust the crew distribution also.  It's a bit off for crew size around the 5th rates.  You could even squeeze in a Post Captain (lower).  These gentlemen had a single epaulette on only one shoulder and were of less than 3 years seniority.  And please (please) get rid of those awful Pirate ranks and maybe just  use a mixture of the other nation's ranks.  It's probably the thing that I like the least about this great game!

The problem with squeezing in new ranks is not all military/Navys had the same ranks as each other.  Some skipped ranks and others added.  Some didn't have as many ranks until much later.

I kinda agree with the Pirate Names, they could of been changed to be something more Privateer/generic like.

4 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

The problem with squeezing in new ranks is not all military/Navys had the same ranks as each other.  Some skipped ranks and others added.  Some didn't have as many ranks until much later.

This isn't really a problem. Ranks don't have to carefully follow real-life naval structures.

For example, the real-life pirate nation's real-life pirate navy didn't even have Marauders and Demons. 🙄

Why is so much nonsensical then done?
With these measures you get the number of players upwards.
I think that if a complete wipe the player number is halved again.
With these updates you ring the end.

Myself and many others I talk to will stop playing.
I'm not being forced to do PvP to level up.
And the current missions are too intense. It takes 10 times as long.

Edited by jacques de molay
further consideration
  • Like 2

I must be missing something here.

At what point did people not realise this game is not yet full release? 

All this anguish over stuff and things.

Take my advice and start drinking heavily....that will deaden the turbulent effects of the wipe and cause a welcoming stupor while getting back in to the groove of this outstanding game.

Its either that or start the laborious grind of World of Tanks again which will cost you a damn sight more cash.

All together now...… 

Come cheer up, my lads! 'tis to glory we steer,
To add something more to this wonderful year;
To honour we call you, not press you like slaves,
For who are so free as the sons of the waves?

Chorus:
Heart of oak are our ships, heart of oak are our men;
We always are ready, steady, boys, steady!
We'll fight and we'll conquer again and again.

Edited by saltysplash
speeling
  • Like 1

On 2/27/2019 at 6:20 PM, Graf Bernadotte said:

Remove all the time sinks you implemented into the game the last years and the game will shine.

I have no prob to regrind my rank. But I have a terrible problem to regrind all the ships we need to play proper pvp and rvr. And I have a terrible problem with sailing all those resources again, we need to craft all those ships we will lose. I have a big problem to produce them, since you blocked our buildings slots with silly buildings. I 'm sick to spend hours for trading only to pay for the repairs I need to do some pvp or rvr, which are never abailable in the ports where I need them. I have an immense problem to do months of pve for getting all those books by accident instead of effort we need to equip our ships best. 20 hours of work for half an hour of fun is not acceptable. And I will definetely not sail in mahogany or caguarian ships in future, since you made access for teak and white oak so difficult and time consuming. I'm born in a capitalist system. I'm not used to stand in a line for hours to buy some rare stuff, which is available only once a year and only in one store in the whole country due to a superstupid political system. That's communist bullshit and we are all over it, as long as we don''t live in North Corea, Venezuela or Cuba. Nobody pays money to play communism.

By the way. I crafted less than 10 ships since the last big patch. And I used all the rescources I collected before, since I was awaiting that it will waste much more time after the wipe.

Make all ships available with doublons and I'm fine. Sell enough rare logs in freeports, that everybody gets access to them and I'm fine. I regrind all ships if five proper pvp battles are enough to open all slots. What do you think a decent officer of any navy in the world has as rank, after he fought five battles successfully?  I don't mind about my book knowledges if I can buy any book I need with doublons and nobody can steal the doublons I got rewarded with anymore. And of course I don't mind if I don't get rewarded with doublons or anything else anymore while I'm sinking an AI ship.

Start to make this game shining and stop tyrannizing us with stuff we don't wanna do. It's a game. We spend our free time for. It's no prison, we have to suffer in and get rewarded a little bit for good behaviour.

+1

45 minutes ago, Draymoor said:

No, books already learned are staying.

You don't know that. @admin said that. But as we know now. It only goes until he changes his mind. So until the day the game is released we don't know anything. Until yesterday I thought xp would stay.

Edited by staun
  • Like 5