Game-Labs Forum

Exciting times ahead - pre-release wipes information

48 minutes ago, Anolytic said:

Well. There's time to work on both balance and content. I'm anticipating a late spring release in October/November

lol, well the issues has only pertained for the past three years.. But for the record - I know it's cold in Norway, but a spring release in November??! When do you get to have a summer?

As I read it we're talking about a release in 3-4 months, i.e. June/July. 

52 minutes ago, Thonys said:

@admin can you speed up the wipe from 7 days to just one?

i am getting excited now ...

and a good thing to wipe the darn stuff and bring trading in first.

allt he vets must understand that having an advantage over new players is blow in the face before they even start playing, and is not fair to them.

so i wouldn't mind to wipe it entirely to the bone...

in EVE it took me 5 years to fly the big mogul, (and that is described) so what i s a month or two, its nothing ...

go ahead and stick to the process...

It's a sandbox. There is no "fair" beginners experience. What is it with sandbox that ppl don't understand?

Atm the biggest issue for new players is the learning curve, and their first experience with PvP is generally a decidedly poor one. How is a wipe going to change that a year from release? or two years (if the game lasts that long). Thinking that a wipe will change anything is basically ignoring all the problems and choosing the easy fix, kinda like pissing your pants to keep warm - 2 mins later it just feels all gross and your still cold as hell.

2 minutes ago, Suricato Rojo said:

NA post wipe situations have always been the one I had most fun.

But its dangerous to promise something and then do another thing. Based in previous promises many players have grinded hundred of hours that will be useless now, and this is not good. 

the last wipes were fun

but this is different

you have to rank up again to crew bigger ships ... you cant get bigger ships because you have  to rank  up your crafting  xp again

and the biggest change is with the new damage model you will be sunk  if you attempt to attack any ship bigger than the class of ship your sailing ... the grind will be far harder and longer than the first time around

4 hours ago, admin said:

Most guarantees are shorter than 3 years. This promise was made in 2015, we expected to release in the end of 2016. Sorry but promising veterans advantage on launch so close to release seems like a very bad idea.

i agree, we already have the advantage of knowing the game on beforehand and know how mechanics work

4 minutes ago, Rouleur said:

On reflection - I am furious - the dishonesty is unbelievable. It was stated over and over that xp (rank and crafting) were protected.

There is no dishonesty.
We truly believed in 2015 that XP should be safe and getting to high level ships should require up to 60 days. The leveling was sped up for EA and testing. That statement was repeated over and over because it was true. The XP was not affected for the last 3! years and we tried as hard as we can to not reset progress on anything - only one economy wipe was done over 3 years of early access testing.

But times change the decision was made yesterday that the 2015 promise is bad for the game, and as soon as this decision was made - we made an upfront announcement. 

We are honest and clear. XP was safe for 3 years - but it is absolutely necessary that on launch the game starts fresh FOR EVERYONE.

• Like 14

Most guarantees are shorter than 3 years. This promise was made in 2015, we expected to release in the end of 2016. Sorry but promising veterans advantage on launch so close to release seems like a very bad idea.

it may seem like a bad idea now

but you want to start going down how long a guarantee should last you need to start looking up a few facts

a guarantee is for the lifetime of a product unless stated otherwise ... i dont see when you said xp is guaranteed  to remain on release that you put an date  or timeline on that guarantee

my main bone of contention is you sold us DLC knowing that you were not going to honour that guarantee

• Like 1

I am fine with the XP wipe. Lets start on equal level.

@admin I recommend to change the grind for the ship knowledge slots. Why could we not have a system that allows to gain and use the knowledge for the ship rate and not for the ship type. E.g. you do not only gain knowledge for an Endymion but for all 5th rates. Grinding knowledge as it is atm is really no content but a vaste of time in my personal opinion.

The rank system atm is PvE based. Those PvE ranks are meaningless. They only allow you to crew bigger ships but they do not say anything about the skill of the player. In a wargame there should be PvP ranks that can be achieved by PvP. I hope your new ranks will include a relation to PvP. Otherwise they will be - in my personal opinion - meaningless and a waste of time.

• Like 8

Good morning @admin

With the combination of all wipes, I have two questions 

- Can we expect a reset/purge of all clan names list on the final wipe ?

- Will player account reset include the created character ? Start completely new character ( chose nation again, etc ) ?

• Like 6

It is dishonest - you did not say for "3 years" - it was clear to everyone it was  protected post general release. My purchases have been significant and  were done on the basis that the statements made by the developer were meaningful. So misrepresentation has occurred and money exchanged based on this - that is not a good place for any company to go and having run a few I know that reputation matters. 

Edited by Rouleur
typo
  • Like 3

Perfect news lets look ahead...

Most probably people with a lot of alt accounts are crying here, i dont care about them.

@admin just one thing which i observe can you more clearly announce the advantage of the tutorial to new players because many times i have seen they just skip it and dont know about the rewards of the tutorial.

Also will Clans remain after the wipe?

Edited by Petrel (GDL)
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, Lars Kjaer said:

It's a sandbox. There is no "fair" beginners experience. What is it with sandbox that ppl don't understand?

Atm the biggest issue for new players is the learning curve, and their first experience with PvP is generally a decidedly poor one. How is a wipe going to change that a year from release? or two years (if the game lasts that long). Thinking that a wipe will change anything is basically ignoring all the problems and choosing the easy fix, kinda like pissing your pants to keep warm - 2 mins later it just feels all gross and your still cold as hell.

all true you say

but in the case of NA and all the reviews, i think it is a good idea, just to ease the pain a bit of a lot of the cry babies.

@admin  I have almost 8K hours in game, been here since right after OW was released in 2015, just a two points:

1. Keeping book knowledge is good, would really prefer to keep ship knowledge slots because the tedious grind is a real turnoff.

2.  Please when the final wipe happens, wipe the clans, warehouses etc.  Just the GB clan list alone has HUNDREDS of defunct clans littering the list that can take AGES to scroll through to add a friendly clan, its not even in alphabetical order, WIPE IT CLEAN.

With that, I am looking forward to having the Pandora sit next to my Yacht in my redeemable slot for when I need it.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Wraith said:

Why, because they literally kept this little project alive funding-wise while you were getting 10s of thousands of play hours for $29.99?  Way to support your developers. 🙄

Let’s not forget any DLC they paid for them 

5 hours ago, ElegantWay said:

I am very worried about our clan will or not be retained as before.

If it can be retained, it can effectively protect the stability of our clanmembers.@admin

Upon release clan tags need to be wiped too.  Some folks are holding tags that don’t play any more.  Just have some one ready to make the ne clan upon relelad

4 hours ago, admin said:

HMS Pandora is the reimbursement. Its an amazing DLC that will be given for free to all accounts, and then will be maid paid and very expensive

This isn’t a fair gift if any one can buy it later.  This the same crap WOT did with the preorder packs for beta players.  Said they would be only for those player and tha. Later they started to put them on sale.  If your going to sale it later than give us a special paint/skin that can not be bought later so folks know it’s an EA ship.  Kinda like how the yatch is just a cutter with a diffrent skin.

4 hours ago, Velhelm Von Marrius said:

No. Just Rank xp. Ship xp is safe. Not sure about crafting though. I got your back bro.

Only the bookshelf lp

2 hours ago, Neads O'Tune said:

@admin

How will clan warehouses be affected? I imagine suddenly empyting the reals out of the warehouses will lead to a lot of dropped ports over night.

Can we get more details on these thresholds?

Maybe it’s good ports will drop.  Than you can’t gather up resources and keep the ones the wanted 

10 hours ago, admin said:

no. All steam developers can wipe everything with no consequences when in Early access. 

The most important thing is game knowledge, which can't be wiped bec its stored in the player and not on a server or hd.

All the rest is replacable pixels.

I'd rather have a fresh start in an interesting and new NA than search for ai in the empty seas we have now !

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Atreides said:

@admin  I have almost 8K hours in game, been here since right after OW was released in 2015, just a two points:

1. Keeping book knowledge is good, would really prefer to keep ship knowledge slots because the tedious grind is a real turnoff.

2.  Please when the final wipe happens, wipe the clans, warehouses etc.  Just the GB clan list alone has HUNDREDS of defunct clans littering the list that can take AGES to scroll through to add a friendly clan, its not even in alphabetical order, WIPE IT CLEAN.

With that, I am looking forward to having the Pandora sit next to my Yacht in my redeemable slot for when I need it.

The clan thing was one of the issues when the servers split and merged.  They need to be wiped along with every thing on release for reasons you mentioned.

6 minutes ago, admin said:

Price will be sufficiently high to keep it exclusive. Its just if the ship is provided as DLC it must be in store. 

perhaps an idea is that all dlc ships have a build in extra dock  space as well (DLC +1Dock space)

i am getting so much DLC ships now i am short on normal ship dock spaces :)

ps, dock spaces is really (my) the biggest struggle with the game

Edited by Thonys
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

give us a special paint/skin that can not be bought later

Free Santa Cecilia DLC for all EA testers please. Instead of Pandora :D

12 minutes ago, admin said:

Its just if the ship is provided as DLC it must be in store. 

Honestly, regardless of that it should definitely be available to everyone to keep it balanced and fair and with the high price maybe help funding the further development or at least keep the servers running as long as possible ( not sure if you plan on further updating and improving the game post release ).

The only thing exclusive to testers about pandora should be as special skin / paint that would not impact gameplay. Cosmetic and prestige rewards / upgrades is always the better choice over those that impact gameplay directly and mess with balance.

Entirely out of curiousity, do you already know what the price will be?

Edited by Sovereign

Hi devs,

As a student at high school there is not much time for me to play NA (not when playing other games too). I joined the game before the OW and I'm still in love with it. Currently I own a Bellona (Flag captain) and I would hate to see it go (obviously). 

The wipes were to be expected (coming from a WOT and WOWS background). That people will be heartbroken about this was too. However, wouldn't it be possible to give EA players enough XP to make it to the rank of Flag captain two or three weeks after the game launches. By this time the hardcore players will have reached the rank of captain or flag captain themselves and so the difference would be that big, or would it? EA players who have reached this rank after 2 or 3 weeks of playing could use the XP to get even higher up the rank ladder and less active EA players (such as myself) could get a substantial rank back soon after the definitive launch. 

Would this be possible? And what will happen to redeemables such as the Christian VII?

Keep up the good work and best of regards!

Edited by Emperorpiotr1

3 hours ago, admin said:

Now we think that giving veterans advantage over new players on launch is a horrible idea .

Very hard statement here, I'm sure you look for fairness, but you finaly decide to sacrifice the strongest capital NA project could rely on. (NA capital = veteran player base).

Books & knowledges keep was a legitimate dilema towards new players, but XP wipe can be taken as very shamefull from the few thousands of players who spent so many hours of their life time in this EA in order to "improve NA". Most of them are patiently waiting for the final release, let's hope they will agree to start from zero again.

Had the EA process lasted 1 year or 2, the shock would have been lighter, but after this neverending waiting, you go for the decision of thanking your followers with a simple free Pandora DLC compensation...

You should think about a more consensual alternative.

XP wipe is fine by me and seems fairer. EA players already have massive advantage with play experience and books anyway.

The most important thing is that we get an influx of new players upon release with decent player retention and if XP wipe helps with that then that's what should be done. Correct decision has been made imo. 

The only thing I am worried about from a purely selfish POV is the actual length of time from now until release. There will be little else to do but whelp ships and test the new mechanics/economy etc which is fine, but it will be a real limbo period waiting for release and for the game to finally start. If there are endless delays (and lets face it there has been some history in terms of over optimistic announcements of expected implementation dates) then that could be a long time not really playing.  Looking forward to release. I for one am excited, just hope it happens sooner rather than later. 

• Like 3