Game-Labs Forum

Seasonal Patch: The Missing Links Part 1

admin

А эти параметры (бонусы) применяются у неписи, в том числе у компаньонов?

И что будет, если на неписевый корабль сядет локи?

Edited by Rolando

38 minutes ago, admin said:

There are no illusions. People who buy the game read the reviews. They know what they are getting into. Everyone even the pure traders are hardcore mother*****rs. There are no casuals in the game. Nor that we want them.

Some games are niche and not for everyone. We are the second largest full loot mmo after eve and have no plans to cater to the so called mass market casual crowd. Thanks

This sounds like you’re conflating being interested in a somewhat-realistic sailing game (what makes it niche) with having the time and desire to exclusively dedicate to this game, grinding, and clan membership.

But that’s not the case.  You can be a “casual” and still be interested in this niche game.

Some of us have to work for our living and can’t sit in front of NA for 12 hours a day, every day.  Some of us just don’t care to, but that doesn’t mean we aren’t interested in the niche the game fills.

Some of us go on a ‘kick’ for a game for a little while, then get tired of it and go on a kick for something else, then something else after that.  Might be a month or two before we feel like playing NA again.  That doesn’t mean we don’t like NA and aren’t interested in the niche it fills.  (It does however mean we’re likely to get kicked out of a clan though.)

I think most people would consider that to classify a player as a “casual,” no?  But it sounds like your idea of a “casual” is the 12-year-old “lololol fuk u n00b i DiD uR mOm” CoD troll but that’s not necessarily the case.

Saying you don’t want players who don’t dedicate 20 hours a day, every day to your game is a pretty shitty business tactic.  Saying you don’t want players who have exactly zero interest in being in some huge clan is a pretty shitty business tactic.

And that’s why the player base is constantly dwindling.

When you are trying to sell a product, and get your consumers to recommend your product to their friends, it behooves you to make them happy.  Especially when that product is an online game that lives or dies by its player base.

Just some food for thought.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, admin said:

There are no illusions. People who buy the game read the reviews. They know what they are getting into. Everyone even the pure traders are hardcore mother*****rs. There are no casuals in the game. Nor that we want them.

Some games are niche and not for everyone. We are the second largest full loot mmo after eve and have no plans to cater to the so called mass market casual crowd. Thanks

I fully respect you vision for this game, and I agree, that this game would never attract a large number of casual players due to its theme, long learning curve, and required time investment.  My biggest concern is, with the current profit model, how to generate sustained income to support further development of the game with such a small player base? 

Also, I would also say that this game is not only unfriendly to casual players, but also to all new players, which include many who are willing to sustain a hardcore gameplay. Many new players quit this game after play it for several hours because of (1) a lack of tutorials to guide them until they pass the final exam, which is challenging even for many experienced players (2) a lack of information and explanations on many matters. I see questions like “why I can’t enter enemy ports to complete delivery missions with a basic cutter” on National Chat on almost a daily basis. It’s a legit question— when I was a new player myself I did the exact same thing!  It was frustrating.

Indeed, There are many players who quietly quit the game before they realise the beauty of it. A lack of basic infrastructure to guide through new players, in many ways, is way more frustrating than than heavy grindings and losing good ships.

Of course, many clans like ours are always more than willing to help new players. But we always feel that those efforts are like pulling a cup of water in a giant sink. 

So, yes, Naval Action is and will always be a small niche game. But you could still do more to increase the overall new player sustention rate, so that they will but dlcs to generate income for you guys. And we will have a larger and healthier player base as well. 

Edited by amosblanco
  • Like 1

@admin

This is about Peace but it's also about an NPC mechanic.

As we'll be using battle sails now, can NPC ships not have incredibly buffed boarders now?

I ask this because fighting at lower speeds against elite/HDF AI ships, where they're buffed and sail and turn very fast, boarding is the primary reason why we players don't sail in battle sails. Even if we try to stay upwind and maintain a safe distance, the ships are so fast and so aggressive that collisions by NPC ships are expected. The NPCs, if they have more crew than us, instantly board us and are all prepared for a massacre (last night one guy lost 600 crew in a single attack).

I do not request the removal of boarding on a whole but the removal of the massive boarding buffs on NPC ships. Perhaps, and I suggest this as a much simpler way of dealing with this, a crew penalty to NPC ships (such as -25%), as I've never seen an NPC ship reload slower with less crew, that would only make instaboarding (as we call it because we're instantly boarded) something that would only happen after bringing down a player's crew.

Edited by Eduard L'Aquila

1 hour ago, admin said:

Logic

• Turning bonus - You get better rudder performance due to less heel and water pressure at keel at certain sail positions 
  • Yard torque bonus - same as above - due to less resistance at keel you get better yard side torque
  • Crew on sail reduction = 85%. - self explanatory - less sails = less crew to operate
  • Sail damage resistance = less sail open, less damage to rig and entanglement from chain
  • Mast thickness bonus= 45% = less sail open results in less wind pressure on masts ,thus they are harder to take down.
  • Mast damage reduction= -80% = less sail open results in less wind pressure on masts, thus they are harder to break if rig is damaged or mast is hit.

We are thinking of also adding accuracy bonuses to lower sails as you have a lot better visibility on deck for gun crews if you dont have lower main sails opened. 

It was too hard to post this back when you announced Test Server to avoid confusion and negativity? 

2 hours ago, admin said:

Battle sails hotfix has been deployed

Warning - DONT FIGHT AT FULL SAIL at close/medium range. 

*Words about changes with ACTUAL stats*

I'll admit, while at first it seems frustrating, this is exactly what I was hoping for when we originally tried to get battle sails to be the standard for fighting.

I dislike a lot of the current aspects of the game, but I'll give credit to adding some good additions to the battle mechanics in instances. I still feel like you could tone down penetration cannons and thickness on ships by 30-40% though, I don't know why we have kept increasing the numbers.

Perfecting your sailing in battle may be important, but I still honestly think the core aspects of the "MMO" part of NA are lacking, it still feels like a skeleton. I wish we would go back to the 2016 economy and resource trading lifestyle, then adjust it with some QoL improvements.

• Like 3

Overall it seems like a good patch, liking the windshadow feature, though it may be overdone (perhaps not reality wise but for gameplay sake) a little bit.

Now that it's basically impossible to determine whether or not you can penetrate a mast due to so many variables (woods (seasoned, regular, super rare woods), upgrades (mast thickness / penetration upgrades), sail settings (slow / half / full), ...), I think the hit counter "mast" when you hit the mast should only occur when you actually penetrate the mast.

+ I still think the rare woods buffs are OP, a fleet of ships consisting of +35% HP and similar other stats, result should in most cases be obvious, which is not ideal IMO.

Also, as said before in this thread, it should be impossible to disable survival if your ship is not equipped with the fireship upgrade

• Like 5

6 hours ago, admin said:

Battle sails hotfix has been deployed

Warning - DONT FIGHT AT FULL SAIL at close/medium range. 

Sail combinations bonuses have been updated.

Logic

• Turning bonus - You get better rudder performance due to less heel and water pressure at keel at certain sail positions 
  • Yard torque bonus - same as above - due to less resistance at keel you get better yard side torque
  • Crew on sail reduction = 85%. - self explanatory - less sails = less crew to operate
  • Sail damage resistance = less sail open, less damage to rig and entanglement from chain
  • Mast thickness bonus= 45% = less sail open results in less wind pressure on masts ,thus they are harder to take down.
  • Mast damage reduction= -80% = less sail open results in less wind pressure on masts, thus they are harder to break if rig is damaged or mast is hit.

We are thinking of also adding accuracy bonuses to lower sails as you have a lot better visibility on deck for gun crews if you dont have lower main sails opened. 

Here is the current state of bonuses after maintenance.

Stop

• Turning bonus
  • Yard torque bonus
  • Crew on sail reduction = 85%.
  • Sail damage resistance
  • Mast thickness bonus= 45%
  • Mast damage reduction= -80%

Slow

• Turning bonus = 5% 
  • Yard torque bonus
  • Crew on sail reduction = -85%
  • Sail damage resistance = -75%
  • Mast thickness bonus = 35%
  • Mast damage reduction= -65%

Half

• Turning bonus = 10%
  • Yard torque bonus = 10%
  • Crew on sail reduction = -75%
  • Sail damage resistance = -60%
  • Mast thickness bonus = 25%
  • Mast damage reduction = -50%

Battle

• Turning bonus  = 15% 
  • Yard torque bonus = 10%
  • Crew on sail reduction = -50%
  • Sail damage resistance = 40%
  • Mast thickness bonus = 25%
  • Mast damage reduction = -30%

Full

• Turning bonus = 
  • Yard torque bonus = 
  • Crew on sail reduction = 
  • Sail damage resistance = 10% more damage - due to full wind pressure
  • Mast thickness bonus = -20% less thickness - due to full wind pressure
  • Mast damage reduction = 20% more damage - due to full excessive wind pressure on sails

Several players asked us (thanks for questions @Koltes)
Battle sails - why you get a lot of speed at half sail?

Sails work the following way.

Every additional square ft (meter) of sails give less and less power when added (lower utility). First 10% of sails give approximately 30% of speed. Last 10% of sails give almost no speed bonus and could even slow you down (by increasing heel, screwing your rudder position and keel position creating additional leeway that need to be corrected constantly). The specific relationship was described in several seamanship treatises and shipbuilding books. We have implemented this relationship.

As a result like in real life you don't need full sails to sail fast. Extra sails are needed if you need to squeeze extra half knot during chase, but during battle you can get everything at battle sails. Just like in real historical battles.  

Pls create a new topic and patch it to be always in front , that kind of stats are importante and can easily fall into the forum

6 hours ago, admin said:

front qe
back zc 

which button. the only concern is the button. In sea legends we have worked around this very creatively but here we are not sure which buttons to use for central mast

Leave it like it is for ease of manual sailing through turns and such, but add the feature when you press a button, it "uncouples" your mainmast from your mizzenmast.

Example:

When you toggle the button "J", it uncouples the mizzenmast from the mainmast, and you take over control of it with "K" and "L" (I don't remember if these keys are used already or not).

Any chances we'll ever get independent sail control? If I'm sailing battle sails and my topsails get shredded, I might like to set one of the courses or a topgallant (you get the idea, one or two sails to add a bit more area for wind to compensate for the shredded topsails). It obviously wouldn't be a balanced rig, but it'd at least keep me moving until time for a sail repair, and prevent me from going to full sails and weakening my mast (I like that part of the new update btw, its a nice stand-in for proper rigging damage)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, admin said:

front qe
back zc 

which button. the only concern is the button. In sea legends we have worked around this very creatively but here we are not sure which buttons to use for central mast

When is sea legends available? I would really love to try it.

19 hours ago, admin said:

Cost changes are deliberate and calculated. There is no weird logic.

All elements that give power will eventually have exponential cost growth. This is a right way and initial pain and outcry is understandable but will be ignored. 2x power should cost 20x more money. 2300 for long guns is just groshen compared to what navy guns will cost when they will be added to crafting. This is how all mmos work. 

Comparisons with WOT or COD are completely out of place Freddy. This is not wot and cod. And free guns at 100 real never gave any retention anyway. We know why.

While I don't mind changes, but the problem I have seen is when you removed doubloons from crafting and bumped up Reals cost and now the cost of cannons are bumped up.  DId you raise the rewards to match them?   I think this is the issue a lot of folks have.  Grinding ships does not give you hardly any rewards unless you do it way above you ships level, which is pretty much suicide specially with newer changes to the game.    You need to do things on a balance scale across the board. You raise cost of one part of the game you need to raise the rewards on another.  Currently I mainly get all my reals from trading cause rewards for combat still hardly pays the bills for repairs at times.

Weren't we having this same convo like a year or so ago?

Also ships still sink way to fast.  I love the loot at the end of battle option cause a lot of times when I'm grinding out an AI fleet I just don't have time to turn and loot ships that went off and sunk, the problem is just about all them except the last two ship have fully sunk by time the battle ended so you can't even get the loot than.   

Oh and like the hotfix for today, it finally gets battle sails to be used like it should be and one of the things I been wanting for ages in game.  I always hated that some one can go full sails, repair and act like nothing when that should be the easiet time to demast/foul rig some ship cause they are going full sail/rig and there is major stress on all the rigging cause of it. 

Thanks.

Edited by Sir Texas Sir