Game-Labs Forum

2 New Items: Loki Rune, And Ship Logbook

7 hours ago, admin said:

Captains

2 new amazing items will come to the game in the next (treacherous waters) patch

Loki Rune 
Item Description: 
Bjarkan er laufgrønster líma;
Loki bar flærða tíma

• Purpose unknown
  • Origin unknown

Ah, just like the 'Pray' feature, then. Will we get chat bans for speculating about what it does?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Raekur said:

The sheep will remain clueless to threats around them while the wolves will get a radar to use to find either each other to join in or those that are hunting them.

Valid concern but, despite whatever i think about the radar, it only shows battles already happening and not ships sailing.

So it may well work for you, yes you, to help a buddy in distress, is he hasn't already alerted through chat or voice comms.

Honestly i'm not a fan of the idea.

Regarding the Loki's play... well... we can only speculate. Maybe it is something completely new we didn't see before. I'm hoping for that. 

But i expect both to be expendables, like 1 item 1 use and not a perk like thing that one can have at all times.

• Like 2

On a side note....  you should ALWAYS have to get within a certain distance to identify an enemy...  just my opinion.

It should only pop up using the spyglass within X distance on the OW.

Edited by Vernon Merrill
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Staunberg said:

Looking forward to see if we get radars in the Carribean, proberbly a bit ahead of oure timeframe. 

Can’t really see that a radar has a place in the Carribean in the age of sails.

You are being a little narrowminded. 

Currently NA uses Distance measuring equipment (DME) between each player's ship and a ground station at each port by timing the of radio signals in the frequency band  Distances are obtained by an exchange of radio wave pulse transmitions a pulse pair, on an assigned ‘channel’, to the transponder ground station. The channel assignment specifies the carrier frequency and the spacing between the pulses.  NA makes the necessary calculations and displayes distance from each port in the trader tool.

This equipment was introduced in the 1950s and widely adapted in the 1960s, but because the sextant (F11) was removed players are lucky to have the the use of VORs and NAV radios or we we would be forced to used dead reckoning only for navigation.

Just gotta be flexible and go with what we have.  Or you will be stuck with the mindless magic GPS icon.

Radar and NAV radios in the 1700s is much better than using the sextant perk.

• Like 2

guessing :

1. i think it has something to do with the jet stream 

2. and a option to see battles 

BUT: do we also get 2 extra slots in the ship knowledge.....?. or a  sigaar out of your own box !

the option is yours.?> 

is the admin a minmatar?

Edited by Thonys

12 hours ago, Liq said:

I remember being laughed at for suggesting a perk indicating close battles in Patrol zones only, but seems like people like it now :'D

I made quite the same proposal and was laughed too ...

Now I guess loki is a rare magical item which allows you to teleport to any position of the map you like once per year and the drop chance will be 0.000001 percent.

Edited by mikawa

2 hours ago, Macjimm said:

Currently NA uses Distance measuring equipment (DME) between each player's ship and a ground station at each port by timing the of radio signals in the frequency band  Distances are obtained by an exchange of radio wave pulse transmitions a pulse pair, on an assigned ‘channel’, to the transponder ground station. The channel assignment specifies the carrier frequency and the spacing between the pulses.  NA makes the necessary calculations and displayes distance from each port in the trader tool.

This equipment was introduced in the 1950s and widely adapted in the 1960s, but because the sextant (F11) was removed players are lucky to have the the use of VORs and NAV radios or we we would be forced to used dead reckoning only for navigation.

Just gotta be flexible and go with what we have.  Or you will be stuck with the mindless magic GPS icon.

Radar and NAV radios in the 1700s is much better than using the sextant perk.

It should be really easy, most people do not understand a sextant.
A simple button that you press, available once every 10 minutes or so would leave a dot on your map that fades over time.
You can have your normal sextant function, with the ability of tracking your position over time.
This is substitute for proper tools to let us map and chart our journeys.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Macjimm said:

Currently NA uses Distance measuring equipment (DME) between each player's

So does it make it rightful to introduce some kind of radar into the game? 

Why don't we remove ndb and dme from the game but use only dead reackoning and a realish sextant instead of GPS? 

We have from 40 to 1200 crew on our ships, some must be navigators I guess? Some must be on look out, many jobs open for hire on our ships, but where are these professional sailors/officers? 

It is already discussed that sextant should make position update on long intervals while you will have dead reckoning in between, plus when you are close to shore or even better a port, your accuracy will increase with identifying land with your maps and profile maps. 

So we will have a plotted route on your map, with th your estimated ship position as discussed above. Would'nt be both realistic and easier???????? 

@admin why the hell my man on look outs do not shout for enemy ship on horizon and ring some bells for God's sake? Also consider the realistic and easy navigation please and put some navigators on board. These make the game, but gps dot / sonar /radar, noooo. 

@admin please check the picture added o7

Real Sextant.jpg

Edited by AeRoTR
Picture added
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, AeRoTR said:

So does it make it rightful to introduce some kind of radar into the game? 

I'm suggesting that we should enjoy the trader tool features that are available, before they are removed.  I miss the F11 co-ordinates but have adopted the DME equipment.  We can track our path by dead reckoning but it can be a dangerous distraction, when our attention should be focused on spotting enemy. Dead reckoning can be surprisingly accurate, even out of sight of land, but it requires vigilant monitoring of the ship's speed.  The crew is never helpful enough to shout out when they spot anything.   DME equipment allows for quick position fixes by triangulation while we maintain lookout for the enemy.  Shrouded Recluse's map forms an excellent base for plotting and measuring: this allows for interesting content while sailing.

There is very little hope that navigational realism will be added to NA.  DME equipment may be a wee bit inappropriate for the age of sail but it is infinitely more interesting (fun) than the GPS sextant perk.   NA chose to remove co-ordinates and add the magic GPS icon.  I think any system that marks the ship's position on a map is arcade: even inaccurate or past positions.  But, lots of players prefer the GPS icon, and I'm okay with others using GPS if I don't have to.  Currently I can remove the GPS icon from the map by deleting the sextant perk, and I'm grateful.

Regarding the new radar feature.  I can choose to not use it.  I'm okay if others like it. I accept that players bask in light of playability: mixing text, phones, radio, GPS, teleporting, jet speed gunboats, time compression etc... and now some radar.

• Like 2

On 9/3/2019 at 10:43 AM, Snoopy said:

It'll be another 'pray' button and the devs will have a giggle at our expense :)

We all know Pray button was the Global/PvP2 server Pirate hack button.  That was at least what we keep telling the US and GB players since they always accused us of hacking.