Game-Labs Forum

Forthcoming Patch 23. Hercules, Tutorial and Map teaser

23 minutes ago, Niagara said:

Most changes done lately tends to cater to the hunters and make it harder as prey. 

Mission cancellation has nothing to do with hunters. its a war-game and declining orders 20 times per day never went well for any career officers.
Our position on missions is/was clear. We prefer players to find hunting spots which will GREATLY increase the experience because many NPC routes provide the option to hunt without any time spent on long journeys, such places exist. It seems that many players would just prefer - PVE battle button in the lobby. 

Reinforcements will still be strong (and everyone would agree that no sane lord of the admiralty will send 2 first rates to protect against a frigate attack)

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, admin said:

Mission cancellation has nothing to do with hunters. its a war-game and declining orders 20 times per day never went well for any career officers.
Our position on missions is/was clear. We prefer players to find hunting spots which will GREATLY increase the experience because many NPC routes provide the option to hunt without any time spent on long journeys, such places exist. It seems that many players would just prefer - PVE battle button in the lobby. 

Reinforcements will still be strong (and everyone would agree that no sane lord of the admiralty will send 2 first rates to protect against a frigate attack)

Would have been a rather short career if Admiral Lord Nelson would have had to buy his ships on his own...

Greatly increased experience would be the proper tools for navigation and the use of them, for example, and not sailing into one direction for a certain time and maybe we get to where we want.

2 minutes ago, admin said:

Our position on missions is/was clear. We prefer players to find hunting spots which will GREATLY increase the experience because many NPC routes provide the option to hunt without any time spent on long journeys. It seems that many players would just prefer - PVE battle button in the lobby. 

If you pull a mission and it is put outside a safezone then you can get jumped by an enemy who will have AI on his side which is unbalanced.

If you hunt AI in your reinforcement zone your battle stays open, so new players can't do that without getting jumped.

With lack of ow pvp directives, free market pvp still leads the vast majority of fights to in or around capitals where all the new players are trying to learn the game.

Ironically the safezone is one of the most dangerous places a newbro can be.

It's worse than giving no security to new players, it's giving them false sense of security.

How do you plan to revert this?

• Like 8

48 minutes ago, Slim McSauce said:

If you pull a mission and it is put outside a safezone then you can get jumped by an enemy who will have AI on his side which is unbalanced.

If you hunt AI in your reinforcement zone your battle stays open, so new players can't do that without getting jumped.

With lack of ow pvp directives, free market pvp still leads the vast majority of fights to in or around capitals where all the new players are trying to learn the game.

Ironically the safezone is one of the most dangerous places a newbro can be.

It's worse than giving no security to new players, it's giving them false sense of security.

How do you plan to revert this?

This game has a huge open world. There are places that never get hunted. If you see players cry in chat about mission jumping tell them to sail until he didn‘t saw a player for atleast an hour and make an outpost at next port. There you have it 99% safety. It‘s like you said, capitals are the worst places. One of the reasons I never used them as outposts.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, vazco said:

Patrol Zones worked for some time until some teams started ganking them. Fights turned from meaningful to random and frustrating, not based on skill level but on your gank count

Yah, Patrol zone fights would be great with one simple tweak.  You cannot join a fight on the side of the highest BR and you must join as an individual.  Recently, my clan were out in force in the patrol zone and we couldn't find a fight.  What did we do?  Joined both sides of a 1 v 1 in equal numbers.  Great battle...loads of fun....I died...so what.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, admin said:

by the way. 
this is how 260m ship looks from 12-14km, it is sailing in line with a 225m ship.
Can you tell me which one is prince of wales and which one is hms hood?

After 38 years in the navy I can tell you this.  As you close your target, all is revealed.  Ship class, ship name, armament, radars (okay we can skip that one), speed, etc.  Difficulty in ID at long range is a great idea, but if you want to stick with your realism model, before you engage you should know most of the details.  Having said that, sometimes closing to get the details is suicide.....that's a shame...

• Like 4

Ummm. Isn’t that what the spyglass is for?  It’s certainly not hard to get a quick estimate of gunports....  It’s strange, I play IL-2 as well as this, and one of the hardest things about that game is learning to identify friend from foe when two objects are converging at 700 mph.  Yet, when I went into the forums for tips on how to more effectively achieve this,’I didn’t see people complaining about how bad the game was and that it was “too hard for noobs”.  Instead, people gave some tips and insight and agreed that it was part of the “experience” of a authentic game and that quick identification gave advantages as well as risk.  

I think people at this point are trying to find a solution to a non-existent problem.  

If so many people wanted instant pew pew with no risk, then Legends would have been far more popular that it was...

New player safety is NOT a main factor in player retention, in my opinion.  I would suggest that pace of play, time commitment and content are far bigger contributors.  

• Like 4

I have a question about the tutorial reward ship Hercules, will it be craftable? it says its a rare ship, but if its only available upon completing the tutorial we will probably have a problem with alts just completing tutorial and selling it, rinse and repeat to get rich or arm their entire clan with these ships. If its a strong ship this could be very unfair.

Thanks

Do seams like the devs want to turn the game to a more hard core game. Is it better ore worse. Think it all depends on how ppl want to play it. They have tryed to balance it between PvP and PvE an lets be honnest, numbers have showen that haven’t gone well. 

Will this cost players, maybe. There is a lot of players that only play for a bit of trading and a bit missions. Think we might loose those. But the more hardcore may want to play. In the end it is up to devs to deside what game they want. So we don’t like play something Els.

But lets all just wait and se. Anyway the summer is comming, so anyway better things to do.

3 hours ago, admin said:

Let's assume we will figure out these mission spawn locations for each Nation, what happens then? 

We will know there are 10 spawn combinations at coordinates : 00000 0000 0000 000 etc.. 

Does it mean we can camp them? )) did you at least add 100 combinations for each port? if not it can be easily cracked and publicly spread to farm marks. 

Edited by Project Pluto

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

And the fact that you can't open a chat with a ship within hailing distance on the OW, regardless of nation, is not only ahistorical but bad game mechanics for a multiplayer game where multi-nation operations should be possible.

I completely do NOT agree. Removing chat from OW is a huge improvement. You can still have multi-nation operations if you agree on them in global or with particular people in chat. Knowing that I know a guy sailing in front of me shouldn't influence my decision if he's in a hostile nation. Once names and chat was removed from OW, amount of PvP among skilled players increased drastically. That's good. It's a naval warfare game, not a COOP PvE game with meta being avoiding any PvP fights you can't win.

Let the guns be our diplomats.

• Like 1

Seems like a lot of people are worried about new players losing their only ship then just leaving the game. Maybe the tutorial can provide a number of ship notes like 7th-5th rates. That way if they do die/get ganked its not such a big deal. Also having a tutorial on how to capture ships could help that way newer players know how to easily replace their ships. Anyway everyone is never going to be happy with how safe/unsafe protection is in the green zone.

Regardless thoughs that accept that pvp happens on the pvp server and sometimes in ways they do not like will continue to play. Thoughs that get killed because they didn't pay enough attention and rage quit will stop no matter how "safe" it is.

The new ship is still ugly. (Not bad programmed). Nice to be reminded of the difference in design. Can we soon have some Danish ships in the game? They where almost all beauties instead of this sailing mistake. It's like a mix between a German pub and a Brazilian carnival. It looks like it would sail sideways instead of forwards.

Also I would like to assure everyone that as far as I know there is no underground pact of "PVP" players to not attack each other in the safe zones. I have attacked and been attacked plenty of times in other nations safe zones.

15 minutes ago, vazco said:

I completely do NOT agree. Removing chat from OW is a huge improvement. You can still have multi-nation operations if you agree on them in global or with particular people in chat. Knowing that I know a guy sailing in front of me shouldn't influence my decision if he's in a hostile nation. Once names and chat was removed from OW, amount of PvP among skilled players increased drastically. That's good. It's a naval warfare game, not a COOP PvE game with meta being avoiding any PvP fights you can't win.

Let the guns be our diplomats.

Actually it's not a PvP only game either.....immersing comes with hailing ships before you fire upon them.  Why would I fire upon a merchant ship when I'm out to hunt naval ships?  Maybe my government has sent me on a mission to hunt down the great Vazco Privateer of his nation and not to fight any other war ships unless engaged by them first and to ignore all trade ships.  That is immersion.  This is a Sandbox first, that means you can let your guns be your diplomat and others can let there tongues.   If this game was so realistic, guess what Prussia wouldn't be in game, Russian or Poland.  To me immersing sandbox means this is more a RP/PvP/PvE game (I won't say server cause lets face it PvE server is just a waste).   A sand box that offers crafting, trading, conquest and multiplayers, which wouldn't this mean this is not a PvP only game than?  

Naval Action is a hardcore, realistic, and beautifully detailed naval combat sandbox immersing players into the experience of the most beautiful period of naval history - when sailing ships ruled the seas.

What is the current state of the Early Access version?

“Excellent age of sail combat representation
Basic crafting
Basic trading
Basic conquest
Multiple playable nations
Large variety of age of sail vessels

Now lets look more at the game. Show me where this is suppose to be a PvP only game?  I see a lot of great things here but being an open world sand box that means we can PvE, PvP, RP, do what every we want in game within limits of course.

Features:

Exciting bugs – Because its still alpha we have an interesting selection of annoying, strange, and sometimes wonderful bugs. We are squashing them one by one, but it's Caribbean - they will keep coming for quite some time.

Enormous open world – Large open world, recreated based on 18th Century maps, historical harbors, positions, and town names. We do not believe in the various modern hand-holding markers, thus player position is not shown on the map: you will have to navigate yourself using compass, sun or landmarks. PS. battles are instanced to allow extremely complex sailing and fighting calculations for 50 ship battles. 

Freedom – Build ships, trade, sink enemies of your nation. You can attack anyone almost everywhere. Remember that every action could have consequences. So don't attack everyone - or you will become a pirate. Conquer almost every port in the Caribbean, but remember! other adventurous captains will try to ruin your plans.

Beautiful ships – Accurate hull models, sail plans, guns, internal upgrades, historical speed, turning and heel performance. Ships from small cutters to large 100+ gun 1st rates will allow the player to experience every possible role of the Age of Sail period. 

Realistic sailing – Advanced wind and physics model provides for realistic portrayal of ship’s performance in the age of sail. Yard angles, ship angle to wind, fittings and ship condition affects speeds and turning rates. Correct tacking, boxhauling, clubhauling and other elements of the age of sail sailing are possible. Hidden ship characteristics will allow to gradually uncover potential of the vessel – every ship in game will be unique. 

Historical gunnery - Realistic ballistics and cannon performance of the period. Every cannonball is tracked in the air and after it hits the target. One shot can hit the stern, damage the rudder, then hit the cannon carriage, injure crew, ricochet from the floor and hit the opposite side. Listing and wind affects the shooting distance and will require change of tactics. 

Weapons - All major types of naval artillery are implemented: from long guns to carronades. Fort and land batteries will provide support during port battles. Mortars are coming soon.

Damage model - Leaks, structural damage, torn sails, demasting, raking, fires and all other hazards that were possible in that era. Damage is positional: hit the gun and you might destroy it. Gunnery crews are placed deck by deck. Shot can pass through the balcony, ricochet of the gun, hit a crew member and then fly out of the gunport splashing into the water. Armor thickness and wood type is implemented and at extreme angles cannonballs will ricochet from the hulls. 

Community driven development - Players actively participate in development and many elements of the game have already been implemented based on the player feedback. Content is immediately given out to players for testing and improvement. Share your thoughts in comments or on the forums.

What I think is funny only the PvP only guys are the ones that keep thinking we are wanting PvE only, no we want the open world sand box that has both PvP and PvE we are promised.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, admin said:

by the way. 
this is how 260m ship looks from 12-14km, it is sailing in line with a 225m ship.

5YOyIQY.jpg

No, I can't tell which is which. But our cannons do not have a 12-14km range. And on OW, how much time does it take two forces to close 12-14km? VERY quickly. We don't have a helmsman to steer the ship while the captain and first officer looks through their spyglasses and discuss fleet composition and strategy. And a navigator to look at the map and plot course.

I get your point about what it was like in real life but by hiding all the details you are removing or hindering strategy and battle planning. I predict the result will be more runners. (Which along with removing names in OW was supposed to reduce.) Hopefully I'm wrong and this won't be a big deal. But please take a look at this after we've tested it and consider making details reveal as distance gap narrows. The ship cards from Legends that showed the line drawings would also be helpful for learning target identification.

7 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

Actually it's not a PvP only game either.....immersing comes with hailing ships before you fire upon them.  Why would I fire upon a merchant ship when I'm out to hunt naval ships?  Maybe my government has sent me on a mission to hunt down the great Vazco Privateer of his nation and not to fight any other war ships unless engaged by them first and to ignore all trade ships.  That is immersion.  This is a Sandbox first, that means you can let your guns be your diplomat and others can let there tongues.   If this game was so realistic, guess what Prussia wouldn't be in game, Russian or Poland.  To me immersing sandbox means this is more a RP/PvP/PvE game (I won't say server cause lets face it PvE server is just a waste).   A sand box that offers crafting, trading, conquest and multiplayers, which wouldn't this mean this is not a PvP only game than?  

Naval Action is a hardcore, realistic, and beautifully detailed naval combat sandbox immersing players into the experience of the most beautiful period of naval history - when sailing ships ruled the seas.

What is the current state of the Early Access version?

“Excellent age of sail combat representation
Basic crafting
Basic trading
Basic conquest
Multiple playable nations
Large variety of age of sail vessels

Now lets look more at the game. Show me where this is suppose to be a PvP only game?  I see a lot of great things here but being an open world sand box that means we can PvE, PvP, RP, do what every we want in game within limits of course.

Features:

Exciting bugs – Because its still alpha we have an interesting selection of annoying, strange, and sometimes wonderful bugs. We are squashing them one by one, but it's Caribbean - they will keep coming for quite some time.

Enormous open world – Large open world, recreated based on 18th Century maps, historical harbors, positions, and town names. We do not believe in the various modern hand-holding markers, thus player position is not shown on the map: you will have to navigate yourself using compass, sun or landmarks. PS. battles are instanced to allow extremely complex sailing and fighting calculations for 50 ship battles. 

Freedom – Build ships, trade, sink enemies of your nation. You can attack anyone almost everywhere. Remember that every action could have consequences. So don't attack everyone - or you will become a pirate. Conquer almost every port in the Caribbean, but remember! other adventurous captains will try to ruin your plans.

Beautiful ships – Accurate hull models, sail plans, guns, internal upgrades, historical speed, turning and heel performance. Ships from small cutters to large 100+ gun 1st rates will allow the player to experience every possible role of the Age of Sail period. 

Realistic sailing – Advanced wind and physics model provides for realistic portrayal of ship’s performance in the age of sail. Yard angles, ship angle to wind, fittings and ship condition affects speeds and turning rates. Correct tacking, boxhauling, clubhauling and other elements of the age of sail sailing are possible. Hidden ship characteristics will allow to gradually uncover potential of the vessel – every ship in game will be unique. 

Historical gunnery - Realistic ballistics and cannon performance of the period. Every cannonball is tracked in the air and after it hits the target. One shot can hit the stern, damage the rudder, then hit the cannon carriage, injure crew, ricochet from the floor and hit the opposite side. Listing and wind affects the shooting distance and will require change of tactics. 

Weapons - All major types of naval artillery are implemented: from long guns to carronades. Fort and land batteries will provide support during port battles. Mortars are coming soon.

Damage model - Leaks, structural damage, torn sails, demasting, raking, fires and all other hazards that were possible in that era. Damage is positional: hit the gun and you might destroy it. Gunnery crews are placed deck by deck. Shot can pass through the balcony, ricochet of the gun, hit a crew member and then fly out of the gunport splashing into the water. Armor thickness and wood type is implemented and at extreme angles cannonballs will ricochet from the hulls. 

Community driven development - Players actively participate in development and many elements of the game have already been implemented based on the player feedback. Content is immediately given out to players for testing and improvement. Share your thoughts in comments or on the forums.

What I think is funny only the PvP only guys are the ones that keep thinking we are wanting PvE only, no we want the open world sand box that has both PvP and PvE we are promised.

I guess they made a PvP server for a reason? 

I like to battle versus humans more as they are harder and more fun to play with. Also more cruel. But this is well known.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, admin said:

by the way. 

5YOyIQY.jpg

By the way, Prince of Wales is the one on the left (not blowing up)

2 hours ago, fox2run said:

The new ship is still ugly. (Not bad programmed). Nice to be reminded of the difference in design. Can we soon have some Danish ships in the game? They where almost all beauties instead of this sailing mistake. It's like a mix between a German pub and a Brazilian carnival. It looks like it would sail sideways instead of forwards.

There is no need for warriors to be beautiful

Edited by Red Dragon 13
misspell

2 hours ago, Louis Garneray said:

By the way, I was wondering why the reward for completing the tutorial has changed?

Before it was " M&C Exam. Complex and hard Master and Commander if completed will grant the Captain M&C rank and will give a unique permanent redeemable ship. "

source:

And now it's a ship note.

that's why I asked it right before the announcement. A permanent reedemable would have been nice.

Edited by victor
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, jodgi said:

ye

and it would have helped OS PVP as well, since it would have been an expendable 5th rate to throw at the enemies with basic upgrades while learning to fight properly (at least I would have used it that way).

Edited by victor
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, victor said:

that's why I asked it right before the announcement. A permanent reedemable would have been nice.

9 minutes ago, victor said:

and it would have helped OS PVP as well, since it would have been an expendable 5th rate to throw at the enemies with basic upgrades while learning to fight properly (at least I would have used it that way).

Has @admin actually answered that it will not be a permanent redeemable? He said "use them wisely" not "use them wisely because you only get it once". I haven't seen any clarification but there's alot of pages in this thread.