Game-Labs Forum

Forthcoming Patch 23. Hercules, Tutorial and Map teaser

15 minutes ago, victor said:

and it would have helped OS PVP as well, since it would have been an expendable 5th rate to throw at the enemies with basic upgrades while learning to fight properly (at least I would have used it that way).

I agree it would have.

Huh!?

A long time ago when I asked for premium ships for the exact reason you outline, I received so much flak for a suggestion that would "ruin the economy".

I'm pleasantly surprised you support redeemable fighting ships.

(It's neat to agree sometimes, isn't it? ;) )

6 minutes ago, jodgi said:

I agree it would have.

Huh!?

A long time ago when I asked for premium ships for the exact reason you outline, I received so much flak for a suggestion that would "ruin the economy".

I'm pleasantly surprised you support redeemable fighting ships.

(It's neat to agree sometimes, isn't it? ;) )

I'm not basically against premium ships (I would just limit them to 3rd rates max). And in the past we agreed on quite some things.

Edited by victor
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Wraith said:

No, it's not, it's not only a colossal waste of time not being able to chat in-game with a ship from another nation outside of a battle instance it's also ahistorical. Why should I tag in a trader I'm hunting just to find out it's a known alt of a friend? Why should I tag in a ship only to find out that it's a friendly clan of a nation that I'm working with, and not the rogue clan I'm hunting.

The reason is that every time you enter a battle with someone you know, you increase the chance for a fight to actually take place. I fought with multiple people I known after this change. Before we all avoided attacking each other. It's similar for all veteran players I talk to.

5 hours ago, Wraith said:

If you have statistics about the "drastic" increase in PvP among skilled players please provide it, otherwise it's just anecdote. 

That's true it's anecdotal. @admin probably has data which can prove it one way or the other. This data should decide about the feature, not us :)

Edited by vazco
  • Like 1

On 4/17/2018 at 5:29 AM, admin said:

Captains
Patch will be deployed within a week 

Here is what you can expect

• Combat Tutorial
    • Updated combat tutorial has been deployed.
    • All tutorials have been improved and updated based on feedback
    • Final Exam added
    • Important. Final exam grants 2 rare items on completion: Hercules Frigate (ship note) and Naval Clock permanent upgrade. Use them wisely. 

Hercules frigate. (also known as Fragata Hercules or Fragata Negra)

xYvunky.jpg
IFVJTey.jpg

• Patrols
    • Frigate ONLY patrols added to the rotation
  • Clan logs added
    • Money log – showing money and pvp/combat/victory mark deposits and withdrawals
    • Resource log – showing everything else
  • Reinforcement update
    • Reinforcement zones support is updated. Local waters will now provide support appropriate to the strength of the attacker (instead of 2 1strates per attacker).
  • Chain update. 
    • Chain shot are now limited by 2 shots per gun. This will not require a perk or acquisition of ammo. 
    • Chain damage greatly increased.
    • Chain damage drop from distance increased. 
  • OW enemy indications updated.
    • Ship rank indication removed, players will have to rely on the visual recognition.
      • Fleet composition now only shows size of the ship (S – small, M – medium, L – Large), as you can only see top sails from 20-30miles
  • PvE missions cancellations are now limited by 3 per day
  • Towns set Free for All by clans now provide teleport option for all nations
  • Standard hull and sail repair time has increased to 2 minutes 
  • Resource production bonuses in clan owned cities slightly increased 
  • Sinking ship will have less cargo damaged by salt water intake.
  • Minimal OW speed against the wind has slightly increased. It will still depend on ship but will be generally 1kn higher.
  • Сrew on sails numbers updated and generally reduced (based on final sail area recalculations)
  • Сrew per ranks updated on higher ranks (rear admiral rank can now support 1400 crew)
  • PVE missions enemy composition improved (especially on lower level missions which sometimes sent too many strong opponents)
  • Boarding upgrades informational panel slightly improved (it will be more obvious what bonuses do)
  • Contract cancellation texts slightly improved.
  • Max stack for bow figures has increased
  • Ports can now buy more books without dropping the price
  • Ship capsizing bug will now happen less. 
  • Fixed the bug that caused slower loading of port stores
  • Improved the visualization of heavy packetloss causing loss of ship control.
    • Player will now see the special message on the client if this happens;
    • After showing this message for some time client will automatically drop the player to login screen if game cannot reconnect to the server to speed up the reconnect chance.
  • Fix bug that did not show the repairs after reconnect to the battle
  • Fixed bug that some resources did not show in contract interface 
    • Contraband goods 
    • Madagascar Jewels 
    • Spanish gold coins 
    • French Gold Livres 
    • Stolen goods
  • Fixed bug that Trading NPCs cannot exit the battle after battle over message
  • Fixed bug caused incorrect item tooltips if antialiasing is on.
  • Fixed bug causing incorrect name of the ship in boarding interface
  • Fixed bug that still shown the instance entry button if the limit has already been reached
  • Fixed the bug that did not show the Sail to outpost button in some cases
  • Fixed the bug that sometimes gave you a message that «you can become a pirate» in rare cases

Teaser from the new UI.
This is work in progress and visuals might change during implementation
0IDPZjm.jpg

Too bad there is only 1 like button!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

But this is the argument I don't really understand, and maybe you or any of the other "hardcore PvP-only" crowd would like to respond: Why wouldn't you attack these people anyway, names or no?  @jodgi has always had it right in my mind: You want pew pew? Then it doesn't matter who's on the other end of the cannon, you set the match.

Why does removing the names making any difference to you, and if you acknowledge that it does, how can you not also acknowledge that for those players who are intimidated by PvP, newer and less experienced ones, that knowing they are not attacking one of these "elite" players might convince them to go ahead and give it a shot?

These are equivalent sides of the same coin and I'd argue that it's far more important to give the reticent player more knowledge, possibly convincing them to dabble in PvP than it is to give a psychological crutch of anonymity to the already PvP-hardened who should out of honor alone engage with the enemy regardless of the pennant or the name on the back of the ship? The anonymity just makes the "newbro" run from everyone, instead of only running from the "elites."

You've got in backwards, seeing names is the physiological crutch. People dont attack someone they percieve is better than them, and on the flip side they target people they know are weaker than them.

An option is always nice but should be voluntary. I for one very much appreciate my privacy, not being harrassed by people on ow or called out in global when realistically they would have no business knowing me or my personal location without engaging me or me offering up the info in a friendly manner.

Edited by Slim McSauce

why not just have OW hailing anonymous. "X hails you, respond?" Then you get a little window to type a short response or whatever, or just ignore it. You can say what you want but can't prove it, they still don't see your name. You could say "King of Crowns on bellona" when it's really stalememes on a yacht. If they don't look closely that's their problem, and if you think people are afraid of you just lie or don't respond

yeah you could talk in global chat for authentication but you could do that anyway

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jim Broadreach said:

I asked yesterday but no answer :(

I guess the fact that they added the word "note" in the brackets (the original OP did not include it) was the (of course stealth) answer.

This means that devs changed they mind in order to make the game experience less enjoyable for less experienced/skilled/wealthy (in game) players. Not that this amazes me, that's always been their way of dealing with this game and now they also - and finally - stated it clear.

A possible reason for this change of mind is that the premium hercules redeemable will be included in the ship pack that should come in the future with a DLC.

Edited by victor
  • Like 1

Devs did say that if you didn’t want to pay for forge papers you can delet your char and redo the exam to be rushed to mc rank.  I bet you do the exam you get the more each time so some can just do it over and over and get more than one note.  It all depends how they pay out. 

Edited by Sir Texas Sir

6 hours ago, Wraith said:

The anonymity just makes the "newbro" run from everyone, instead of only running from the "elites."

That's not even anecdotal, that's just your suspicion - since as I understand you don't run due to anonymity. Let the admin decide based on numbers, there's no point for us to discuss it further, without access to data. 

14 hours ago, Wraith said:

Why should I tag in a trader I'm hunting just to find out it's a known alt of a friend? Why should I tag in a ship only to find out that it's a friendly clan of a nation that I'm working with, and not the rogue clan I'm hunting.

Funny cause that is what alot of ships did back then. Approach a trader or warship and see if it is a enemy or a trader  carrying contraband or sailing under a false flag/papers. If you do a tag and discover that its a friendly just sail away.

Tbh smugglers should be seen on OW as normal and only when you tag or get close enough should you see thats a player sailing under the smuggler flag.

25 minutes ago, vazco said:

That's not even anecdotal, that's just your suspicion - since as I understand you don't run due to anonymity. Let the admin decide based on numbers, there's no point for us to discuss it further, without access to data. 

But Wraith actually is in a nation that has a lot of green players and we see this almost every day when we go out with these guys or how they act in ts.  Specially when they get tagged or into a fight and it’s a known elite player/s

16 minutes ago, CaptainSparckles said:

@admin  when will you introduce the new type of ships ?

What new ships types?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

Wraith actually is in a nation that has a lot of green players and we see this almost every day when we go out with these guys or how they act in ts.  Specially when they get tagged or into a fight and it’s a known elite player/s

So you claim you have less battles in your nation since names were hidden, as people are afraid that anyone can be an elite player. Ok, this is anecdotal, not suspicion. Now let's allow admin to decide based on hard data. No point for us to discuss it further. 

On 4/17/2018 at 2:54 AM, Eleazar de Damas said:

As explained elsewhere, I just have no doubt that chain limitation to 2 shots per gun gives another advantage to gankers (and though, another loss of new players, who are the main target of gankers)... But let's test and see.

I would disagree, the change would limit the amount of chaining gankers can do, so if the ganked player turns tail and runs, thats less ammo for bow chasers to use to catch the prey. 

1 hour ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

Devs did say that if you didn’t want to pay for forge papers you can delet your char and redo the exam to be rushed to mc rank.  I bet you do the exam you get the more each time so some can just do it over and over and get more than one note.  It all depends how they pay out. 

As I said: the game - instead of giving straight solutions to players - obliges customers to dig out workarounds to make simple things in a odd/difficult/strange way.

Edited by victor
  • Like 1

On 4/17/2018 at 5:51 AM, admin said:

Lets think this through together. 

• If a player does not know the difference between indefatigable or surprise he will have trouble with or without text support for the visuals
  • If the players does know the difference between indefatigable or surprise he can easily judge which ship is this by just looking at the ship model.

Ship models are rather beautiful and detailed - you can see if it is indefatigable or wasa, visually.

Your ship models are astounding in every way. That being said I would like to see damage models; sections of hull blown away, missing gun ports and blood running down the scuppers.

In relation to removing the ships identification in the OW, I do think it makes it more difficult for new players to find a foot-hold. However, an updated UI with pictures to go along with the ships will perfectly balance this out, and I know that is in the works.

A step further would be an encyclopedia of all the ships for reference while in port.

Edited by asuspiciousbear

3 cancellations per day for missions? Surely like said before this will hurt new players mostly. You'd think with the already detrimental lost to the games population/player base they'd think to make certain changes with caution idk...

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, victor said:

As I said: the game - instead of giving straight solutions to players - obliges customers to dig out workarounds to make simple things in a odd/difficult/strange way.

We ar already going to test to see if we can farm the ship note and mod.

39 minutes ago, TimeForged said:

3 cancellations per day for missions? Surely like said before this will hurt new players mostly. You'd think with the already detrimental lost to the games population/player base they'd think to make certain changes with caution idk...

All this "Think about new players" :) is in realty translates into - please think about rear admiral players.

New players don't cancel missions. Everything is cool and shiny for them. They take an order and sail. Also. new player missions spawn VERY CLOSE TO PORT. Its rear admiral missions that are far away. 

So its basically rear admirals like me (who know the tricks) want to cancel missions 30 times to find a better spot.
Orders cannot be declined. 3 declines of orders from the admiralty agents is already too much. Maybe Admiralty wants you to find a place where bots are sailing right near ports and you dont have to sail at all to sink them. 

• Like 12

9 minutes ago, Borch said:

Missions are unrealistc. Nelson never had a spawn of enemy 1st rate out of thin air.

I agree and i said it multiple times. I dont like missions effect on general game and experience.. Missions might not survive by release. Perhaps we should stop cutting the mission "tail" step by step.  

Here is a true story about missions 
Thats the sad truth. You think these are just boring under-designed pve missions - but they are not. It is just a testing feature generating battle for you to quickly test changes in the combat model. They were implemented as a fast way to find bots in testing (initially the button was supposed to be in the lobby - and STILL is in the dev version). (thats why they are in all the ports). Some players loved this testing feature too much. They are like sugar. They feel good but are horrible in the long term, hiding other parts of the game. 

The real pve is - hunting in the OW, seeing the world, random enemies and taking risk. Real PVE is finding amazing hunting spots with much better loot. Killing players on the way. 

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, admin said:

All this "Think about new players"

New players don't cancel missions. Everything is cool and shiny for them. They take an order and sail.
Its old grumpy experienced veterans (who know the tricks) cancel missions to find a better spot.

Orders cannot be declined. 3 declines of orders from the admiralty agents is already too much.

On the other hand the „Admirality“ won’t send me on a search and destroy mission on my own when there could be multiple threats on the way. 

That whole admirality thingy isn‘t the way it would have worked in real life, because I as captain wouldn’t have to pay my ship. 

And not everyone would be an enemy because not every nation was at war with everyone else all the time.