Game-Labs Forum

[PVP 1 EU] Change of the Swedish position with the alliance patch

sveno

Dear sailors,

I can imagine that a lot people seeing the Swedish alliance votes unfolding thinking - WTF are they doing?

First of, in my role as the Swedish council chair man, I need to take responsibility for the lack of information prior doing the step we did. The patch was two weeks earlier than expected and we had to rush with our decision finding and did not have time to clarify our decision to our partners prior its execution. That timing was my responsibility and for that please do accept my sincere apologies.

Before I start to explain why we decided like we did, let me reassure our current alliance partners and friends that we really enjoyed working with you. You earned a lot of friendship and respect, with all the help we got - we will never forget that.

-----------------

The Swedish nation always seen themselves to be an underdog nation, or being in an underdog alliance. When we started our alliance with the Dutch, we felt like going that way. Now, everything is evolving, we made new friends, the Dutch made new alliance partners with the Brits. First, this was no issue, as we ought to repay the Brits for their grand help we got in the Antilles war.

After a few weeks however, with Britain getting back to their former strength and by the addition of the US nation to the block, the situation tended into a hegemony in RvR regards. The Pirates and Spain were crippled, the French lost their footing on Hispaniola and the Danes pushed back behind Barahona. Swedish forces did start to have a real issue of finding targets worth warring for, our expectations that the situation would change by itself were low.

At this point, the Swedish council started to think how we could improve both our situation and what would be a more healthy situation for the RvR on PVP 1. We discussed it up and down from the council down to the individual members and back up to the council. That was started a week ago, and took a week to be executed.

The Danes, while being most of the NA history a sworn enemy of the Swedes, crystallized to be a well respected and geographical logical partner. Their alliance was in despair fighting the strong power-block of the Dutch, English and US nation. So also in the sense of joining the underdogs it made sense for us Swedes. On top of this, it is our believe, with that move that Sweden is doing, we can equalize and therefor improve the RvR playing field on this server for everyone.

To execute our decision, by game mechanic, we have to choose a primary enemy before we can select our ally. We could not select the Spanish, as their alliance situation was unclear to us. We just refused to select the Dutch, that would have felt like - oh well, just outright bad. So to be able to vote Danes as alliance partners, we had to select the Brits as enemy. Please don't be mad with us about that dear Brits.

Due to above mentioned timing hick-up, the Swedish nation was not sufficiently informed on what to vote, the voting was developing rather chaotic. Rest assured, this I am also addressing to my fellow Swedes, that we are trying to steer Sweden to a place we feel it should be. Our game is fight, not the win - because of the absence of fights after the win.

To the former ally, the Dutch and our friends, the Brits and the Americans, we hope that we can have good and fun fights with you in the future. Our respect and friendship will stay for you. We will do everything to be as a respectable enemy to you as we hope we were as an ally to you. May the winds be with you at all times.

The Swedes will continue to help their current ally and friends up to Monday, 22nd of August. After that we will start to act upon our decisions we made on the playing field. We are looking forward to banding together with the formidable forces of the Danish and the French nation. 

Yours respectfully,

sveno

In the name of the Swedish council.

• Like 22

As always the Swedish decisions ooze spirit, valour and a sensible lust for good fights.

I must confess I had more fun in battling at your side then against you guys, but one can only respect a decision taken by a great community.

With great respect and a proud feeling for mutual accomplishment we had against the pirates, I wish you to know that a table to talk will always be available; if not for businesses then for pleasure!

Good sailings northern Polar Bears, May your guns be as efficient as ever!

• Like 5

True to form.    Looks good but breaks down over time.  Fortunately you can return it for a full refund and then it is sold as is.   Typical Swedish.

Disclaimer:  I am a Proud Norwegian though respect Sweden for saving my Father From the Nazis.

I smell something fishy. Are you sure this wasn't done so they could easily swap ports?

Through all our differences in the past, this would not be in the character of the Swedes. We've had conflicts over misunderstandings, warmongering, politics and simple proximity, but never about how to play this game.

• Like 6

Im surprised that some guys choose the hard side because they want good fights. Usually most people do the opposite.

What do you think is going to be happen with Spain after the Coalition sign its alliance? Ill answer, three nations will utterly destroy Spain because it is the easy and fun thing to do.

A ) I don't think that's going to happen

B ) if it does: it won't be because it's "the easy thing to do" but because a very vocal part of the Spanish nation has pissed of a lot of people on the forums

I hope that alliance patch won't only change dynamics in alliances once but over again during the course of the game with alliances forming up and splitting up without the "oh this is betrayal, we can never trust you again bullshit"

• Like 1

A healthy decision, game vise, as it will help keeping the game balanced, meaning more fun for everybody.

Respect to the Swedes for the decision they made! It was fun fighting against you, and I bet it will equally fun fighting along side with you.

• Like 1

You did it so you wouldn't have to fight the Danes, we aint stupid, im just a bit pissed after the help you recived from the British, when the Danes and the French where reaming you and had you down to one port, who was it held out a hand ?, who was it who gave you ports to continue building ships to keep you in the fight ?, Oh yeah us. Can't help feeling a little betrayed. I hope your alliance with The Danes brings you all you deserve

I hope changing Alliances will become the norm, rather than the bi***fest it is now.

That way, we get to play with all players on the server, and it also reflects the dynamic nature of coalitions in the era.

Was fun while it lasted; until next time, Swedes o7 :)

• Like 13

well though obvously Britain isn't too happy about it we will probably see some new fights and foes and at least we now know there are some enemis on the other side that one can have a genuine diplomatic chat with and not the mad delusional ramblings of the Spanish ;)

Edited by JollyRoger1516
  • Like 1

I am a lone guy not implied in political and diplomacy stuff , just seeing what happens and taking note of it, 

I have a question tho, seeing the current " grid " for Swedish votes i see that one of your selected enemies with most votes is France. Why aren't your friendly with Spain, France and Denmark at the same time ? Right now votes put you at war with Spain, France and Britain, allied with all others.

870465Client2016081812500330cr.png

Shouldn't it be logical to create a block there so you can profit of Spain infrastructures and help them later if needed ? Following your own words that " would be a more healthy situation for the RvR on PVP 1 " while at the same time voting for your " geographical logical partner " when it comes to France too no ?.

Like i said i'm not into diplomacy stuff so maybe i am missing something obvious or more subtle in those votes here, so i just ask it here trying to understand.

Swedes in game always were good guys to fight along, always straight in them shoes, a bit surprised by those choices in grid.

Thanks

• Like 2

Amount of votes from both counts and the grid doesn't display the difference. For example, Dutch vs Spain. Despite the efforts of the green party of the Spanish Empire the red party of the United Provinces still has the lead which renders the outcome as war as opposite to peace, that's how I am reading all of that.

The same way, and looking to both ways, Sweden and Denmark are okay with each other and the green on green results in peace.

Amount of votes from both counts and the grid doesn't display the difference. For example, Dutch vs Spain. Despite the efforts of the green party of the Spanish Empire the red party of the United Provinces still has the lead which renders the outcome as war as opposite to peace, that's how I am reading all of that.

The same way, and looking to both ways, Sweden and Denmark are okay with each other and the green on green results in peace.

as far as i understand it, each nation will this voting round only choose one enemy and one ally. The fact that the runner up has red votes doesn't matter at all.

• Like 1

I am a lone guy not implied in political and diplomacy stuff , just seeing what happens and taking note of it, 

870465Client2016081812500330cr.png

I'm reading the alliance rules and looking those numbers. If these preferences do not change before the end of voting, does this mean that there will be two alliances after the first vote: Danes + French and Brits + Dutch? Spain, Sweden and United States will not be allied until the second vote. In that second vote Sweden (chosen top enemy Brits) can not vote alliance with Dutch, because the Dutch are allied with Brits. US can not vote alliance with Spain and Spain can not vote for US. Correct?

Edit: There will be other limitations also in the second vote. Dutch can not vote either Danes or French (top enemy Brits).

Edited by Blackbrook

The 'Lappsjuka' must have reached peaklevels since the Antilles treaty. A treaty which triggered a lot of boredom and unhappiness among many, except the French, because of the lack of (port) battles.

Great Britain and it's allies have now started to return shipments of cheap firwood back to the land of surströmming, köttbullar, folköl and blodpudding. Our IKEA catalogues are now serving as toiletpaper and we started to harvest domestic oak woodtypes and reconfiguring our vessels for an all out smörgåsbord fight.

Godspeed Swedish Captains, see you on Monday.

The 'Lappsjuka' must have reached peaklevels since the Antilles treaty. A treaty which triggered a lot of boredom and unhappiness among many, except the French, because of the lack of (port) battles.

Great Britain and it's allies have now started to return shipments of cheap firwood back to the land of surströmming, köttbullar, folköl and blodpudding. Our IKEA catalogues are now serving as toiletpaper and we started to harvest domestic oak woodtypes and reconfiguring our vessels for an all out smörgåsbord fight.

Godspeed Swedish Captains, see you on Monday.

Better keep them, I belive that you will have to use them sooner or later again^^

Edited by Twig
  • Like 1

I totally respect the desire to remain an underdog nation.

Good luck.

This needs to be tested, anyway. It'll be interesting to see how the alliances play out across all nations, if just 1 nation decides to make seemingly erratic choices with their voting.

I also like that you can somewhat gauge nation's strength by the vote tally. I've been asking for the developers to simply just list the number of active players on a server by nation, but now you can at least make rough estimates looking at the vote results. It's not 100% accurate, probably not even 50% accurate, but better than trying to sail all over the place getting a head count, lol.

Edited by ajffighter86