Game-Labs Forum

Explosions feedback

1 minute ago, vazco said:

Explosions as we had them before last changes were well balanced - a fireship could turn the battle around, however wasn't reliable enough to be used repeatedly, invalidating other tactics. Just changing timing of explosions, and leaving all other statistics as they were, would be an improvement good enough to make them fun, but not overpowered.

if you exploded pre patch with a lo wo full thickness and almost full bonuses you wouldnt even lose the top mast on your ship. I fought a l'ocean that exploded, it lost 400 crew and kept fighting for over 10 minutes even though it had fire aboard his whole ship. I wouldnt call that balanced

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, erelkivtuadrater said:

if you exploded pre patch with a lo wo full thickness and almost full bonuses you wouldnt even lose the top mast on your ship. I fought a l'ocean that exploded, it lost 400 crew and kept fighting for over 10 minutes even though it had fire aboard his whole ship. I wouldnt call that balanced

I was commenting only effect exploding ship had on other ships, not on itself. You're right.

Can we have bigger explosion effects? Explosions are so powerful but the visual effect is so small. it's a bit disappointing. 

Also please, the sounds of explosions are so weak, I would like some big BOOMS. Sometimes you can't even tell someone exploded other than by looking at the aftermath of the explosion. 

Thank you. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, admin said:

Talking about krupp cemented armor is not feedback. There is a tavern and national news sections like this. Comedy is welcome in those sections, and can ligthen up someone's day. 

Here is the link https://forum.game-labs.net/forum/53-national-news/ 

This topic is for feedback and analysis. All off topic will be removed.

Any comment about the rarity of explosions in battle?

6 minutes ago, Louis Garneray said:

Any comment about the rarity of explosions in battle?

No comments. Nelson saw 9-10 big battles over the course of 30 years.
You face 9-10 battles per week. Nelson would say thank you ;)
The total number of active ships with 30+ guns (Not under repair) for the East India Company were less than 50. 
I think you can see now why you see explosions more often.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Never said:

Just being unable to turn off survival on non-fireships would probably lessen the issue by a lot. 

Patch will be deployed tomorrow (it was delayed to recheck negative crew bonuses on fireships fitting)

• Damage to masts will be reduced from 80% to 55%
  • Damage to crew will be reduced from 50% to 25% even more (last week it was 90%)
  • Damage to sails will remain
  • Shockwave Distance will be reduced from 400m to 300m for non fire ships
  • Fireship bonus will remain +50% distance (meaning shockwave will go to 450m now instead of 600m)

Fireships 

• Upgrades will receive the debuff to crew and to reload (-60 and -50% respectively)
  • This will make them easily identifiable and their DPS will be 4-5x lower allowing players to just ignore them and reboard sending them back to enemy. 
  • Like 6

30 minutes ago, admin said:

Patch will be deployed tomorrow (it was delayed to recheck negative crew bonuses on fireships fitting)

• Damage to masts will be reduced from 80% to 55%
  • Damage to crew will be reduced from 50% to 25% even more (last week it was 90%)
  • Damage to sails will remain
  • Shockwave Distance will be reduced from 400m to 300m for non fire ships
  • Fireship bonus will remain +50% distance (meaning shockwave will go to 450m now instead of 600m)

With those stats (radius, guaranteed explosion and damage to sails) 100% fireship fleet, or a mix of 50% fireships will still probably be the most efficient screening strategy. If this keeps being the case, RvR will be blocked, as an AI 1st rate can be acquired within 20 minutes, while crafting PB-ready 1st rate requires much more time. I guess we'll test it...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, vazco said:

With those stats (radius, guaranteed explosion and damage to sails) 100% fireship fleet, or a mix of 50% fireships will still probably be the most efficient screening strategy. If this keeps being the case, RvR will be blocked, as an AI 1st rate can be acquired within 20 minutes, while crafting PB-ready 1st rate requires much more time. I guess we'll test it...

Its a combination of factors.  The explosion damage exists only for 8 days or slightly more but people already figured it out and actually found the strategy to use it. Strength of explosions and distance was much higher early december but did not have such results on batttles.!

All parameters now are almost at the old level now with the exception of masts and sails.

What affects the explosiosn is this

• Capturable first rates (will remain in game)
  • Much better understanding of how fireships can be used en masse

This opened a new layer of gameplay that could only be uncovered by shaking it up a little back and forth. This layer was always possible, but players only realised it now. If we see full fleets of fireships tomorrow after almost full reversal of stats this would means its not the stats.

And you are correct, no matter what stats are a chain of fireship explosions will sink a fleet. And 50% fireship composition could affect the outcome.  Lets give it one more day.  If this is true - fire ship upgrade should become crafteable and should cost as 2-3 lineships to manufacture.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, admin said:

we will also give all players on pvp server 5/5 ocean as a gift for participating in fire experiments

Can you make mine teak/white oak seasoned please? Thank you,i think i deserve it.

Edited by Tac
  • Like 1

On 12/4/2019 at 1:54 AM, Captain Reverse said:

The British fleet made excellent use of the mechanics and perfectly calculated the time and maneuver. But still there is nothing legendary. You need: wind won, explosive ship, wait for the enemy to make a turn against the wind, enter the enemy fleet = done, victory)

everyone will use it. And if you are with a lost wind, you can leave the battle)

Hey Reverse,

totally agree. It's now like when 2 Boxers are fighting in the ring. And one of them has a loaded shot-gun. So it dosn't matter how skilled the unarmed boxer is. He gets shot and loose...

Cheers Don

Edited by Donjuan Dimarco
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Donjuan Dimarco said:

Hey Reverse,

totally agree. It's now like when 2 Boxers are fighting in the ring. And one of them has a loaded shot-gun. So it dosn't matter how skilled the unarmed boxer is. He gets shot and loose...

Cheers Don

Not at all, fireships aren't exclusive to the british nation. 

Не играю сейчас (нет времени), иногда смотрю стримы. Смотреть, кто кого нае обманет с этим оружием судного дня и неинтересно, и быстро заканчивается все.

Играми правит баланс, настройка баланса адскими такими скачками вызывает раздражение и сожаление.

Так вот в части баланса - возможность сделать управляемую атомную боеголовку из нпц корабля это имхо не сбалансированно. Скрафтить - да, причем дороже, чем обычный корабль, одного пороха сколько надо. Брандер это как жертва в шахматах, должен иметь цену. Еще бы и доступ на сервер капитану брандера закрывать часика на 3. Жертва. Как вариант - после самоподрыва максимальный размер команды сокращается на сутки в разы, и очень медленно восстанавливается сам по себе, чуть быстрее за убийства.

Когда флот знает, что у противника есть брандер, но сделать с этим ничего не может это тоже не сбалансировано. Это же игра, не исторический морской симулятор. Должна быть какая-то возможность переиграть противника, если ты его вычислил. С 400 метров это сделать очень тяжело, не хватит фокуса. Тут надо искать контрмеры. Из вариантов - постоянный дебаф на прочность бортов, падение хп и толщины мачт при отключенной "восьмерке".

Удачи Вам в поиске брандер-балланса, чтобы это разнообразило геймплей, а не убивало его.

Ну и ключевой момент: брандер это неуправляемая штука... Принять решение, выбрать курс, зафиксировать руль, покинуть корабль.

• Like 1

Perhaps the answer is to make the fireship related mods only available to 6th and 7th rates which were the size of ship historically used in this role. And that role was generally to harass and create confusion, not destroy.

Non-fireship explosions could still happen but should not be battle winning.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, admin said:

This opened a new layer of gameplay that could only be uncovered by shaking it up a little back and forth. This layer was always possible, but players only realised it now. If we see full fleets of fireships tomorrow after almost full reversal of stats this would means its not the stats.

I may have just missed it on the thread, but will the use of the Fire Ship mod cause the mandatory reduction in crew?  I just don't like the idea of sacrificing crew in order to place a suicide ship amongst the enemy.  I can get behind this as a purely game play oriented mod that has no basis in reality (1st rate mission specific Fire Ships never happened), but I dislike throwing away hundreds of crew.  IMO, a Fire Ship should only carry a very minimal crew and a part of the process should be "Abandon Ship" which would cause a complete loss of control (of the Fire Ship).

I think fireships should be able to set other ships on fire (when close enough), which was theirs main purpose in real life.

When they explode they shall kill about 90% of the sailing crew, something like 50% of the crew working the guns on the weather deck, but only about 10% of the crew serving the big guns below.

So you can keep your losses low, without bracing, when you send your crew down in the hull.