Game-Labs Forum

Explosions feedback

We did not like that explosions were just a nuisance and were not really dangerous.
We also did not like that explosions did not do anything with masts much and with sails.
As a result we doubled the damage to masts, hull and crew and increased the radius slightly. (It was in the patch notes)
Explosions became deadly and dangerous (which they should be) but we do not want the battles to be played solely in this direction.. 

What do you guys think?

PS
Meanwhile - a reminder - ships equipped with buckets are very hard to explode by focus fire as they drastically increase firefighting rate- other countermeasures are coming
AQr51Wp.jpg

• Like 5

It's good that explosions are very dangerous but normally in real life ships didn't explode in suicide just to sink enemy ships like people do in game. Fireships being very powerful seems right but non-fireships maybe are too damaging to crew. In today's battle at Les Cayes, even ships that were bracing lost 80% crew to an explosion by non-fireships while being at least 250 meters away or more. The higher damage to sails and masts seems good just the crew damage seems too much while in bracing, non braced crew maybe is fine. Just bracing should be more effective. 

• Like 3

Мне кажется нужно сократить урон по команде как было раньше, оставить урон по парусам как стало сейчас. На данный момент никакая тактика ведения боя не спасет тебя от внезапно взорвавшегося корабля. Даже на расстоянии 300 метров.

Игроки сейчас не боятся пожаров, они наоборот все перефитят в фаеры и будут друг другу вредить. Думаю стоит эту часть геймплея оставить в игре как она и была, редкой, неожиданной и неприятной. Фаершипный флот сегодня был у Сан-Хуана, не думаю что Шведы остались довольны, они не смогли ничего сделать, просто потеряли крафченые корабли и вышли из боя. Фаершипный флот не потерял ничего кроме 100к реалов на модули, 20 минут на захваченый НПС рейт.

Edited by Yettie

8 minutes ago, Never said:

It's good that explosions are very dangerous but normally in real life ships didn't explode in suicide just to sink enemy ships like people do in game. Fireships being very powerful seems right but non-fireships maybe are too damaging to crew. In today's battle at Les Cayes, even ships that were bracing lost 80% crew to an explosion by non-fireships while being at least 250 meters away or more. The higher damage to sails and masts seems good just the crew damage seems too much while in bracing, non braced crew maybe is fine. Just bracing should be more effective. 

well, she exploded in the middle of a group. perfectely delivered. this time we had that luck. next time somebody else.

Damage seems excessive at it's current distance. 

Personally I feel like fireships in 1st rate battles should not be the meta.  Having caputrable ships being used as such will be the new thing and battles will not benefit from them as a whole.  I would work some developer magic and make AI ships less potent relative to craftable ships.  If folks want to use the fireship tactic, cool....but they need to use real ships to get battle changing results.  Just an opinion.  

Edited by Mouth of Sauron

2 minutes ago, Genevieve Malfleurs said:

well, she exploded in the middle of a group. perfectely delivered. this time we had that luck. next time somebody else.

I wasn't talking about Bobzilla haha

Other ships like Anolytic and a couple of others also exploded and nearly killed ships that were bracing and at least 200-300 meters from it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mouth of Sauron said:

Damage seems excessive at it's current distance. 

Personally I feel like fireships in 1st rate battles should not be the meta.  Having caputrable ships being used as such will be the new thing and battles will not benefit from them as a whole.  I would work some developer magic and make AI ships less potent relative to craftable ships.  If folks want to use the fireship tactic, they need to use real ships.

personally i feel we have too much other meta to worry about. it´s funny to see that those players who just became victim to a "perfectly delivered!" fireship cry for game changes, while 15kts 3rd rates are ok for them.

• Like 2

Previously fire ships were quite hard to pull off and if you did the damage you would cause wasn’t really worth the exchange for a good fighting ship. 
I think tonight showed that the tweak has gone to far in the other direction, when a full fleet sails with all fire ships as a funny troll then that speaks volumes.

In the words of reverse” it’s funny, but nah”, it reminds me of when it was to easy to de-mast in 1st rates and pbs would end in about 20 ships sat still with no masts.

Either find the sweet spot between the damage or the range of explosion” which is massive atm” or make it damage just top masts or a lower % of crew because now it’s insta death.

PS no one wants to waste a slot on buckets, unless you can club with them in boarding also. :) 

• Like 8

Watch from minute 38, do not forget this ship had fireship mod on hit, and we kept shooting it to make it explode. Music on the stream perfectly fitting the scene :) 

"good jjob good jjob boy, dizz iz epic" :) 

Edited by AeRoTR
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tac said:

Previously fire ships were quite hard to pull off and if you did the damage you would cause wasn’t really worth the exchange for a good fighting ship. 
I think tonight showed that the tweak has gone to far in the other direction, when a full fleet sails with all fire ships as a funny troll then that speaks volumes.

In the words of reverse” it’s funny, but nah”, it reminds me of when it was to easy to de-mast in 1st rates and pbs would end in about 20 ships sat still with no masts.

Either find the sweet spot between the damage or the range of explosion” which is massive atm” or make it damage just top masts or a lower % of crew because now it’s insta death.

PS no one wants to waste a slot on buckets, unless you can club with them in boarding also. :) 

have you been in the battle?? it was one fireship. not a fleet of them. and it got the enemy fleet pants down. nothing else

3 minutes ago, Genevieve Malfleurs said:

have you been in the battle?? it was one fireship. not a fleet of them. and it got the enemy fleet pants down. nothing else

seen screen of several of them with fireship fitting, was not just 1 ship.. also loose 700 crew on 500+ meter but only 17 % sails??? thought the crew in brace hide below deck not standing waiving to the ships that explode

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, North said:

seen screen of several of them with fireship fitting, was not just 1 ship.. also loose 700 crew on 500+ meter but only 17 % sails??? thought the crew in brace hide below deck not standing waiving to the ships that explode

There was only 1 fireship at Les Cayes. But yeah the damage to crew seems very disproportionate. 

16 minutes ago, Genevieve Malfleurs said:

Ignorance can be bliss can’t it? I refer to the full fleet of 1st rate fire ships Reverse brought to San Juan for shits and giggles, If you think it’s ok as it is now then I have no words.

i understand the fireship you refer to was really exciting and looked wonderful and it helped to win a pb, but step back for a minute and understand how it would affect the big picture, would any serious commander want a pb settled by fireships 8-9 times out of 10?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Genevieve Malfleurs said:

personally i feel we have too much other meta to worry about. it´s funny to see that those players who just became victim to a "perfectly delivered!" fireship cry for game changes, while 15kts 3rd rates are ok for them.

36 minutes ago, Genevieve Malfleurs said:

No, we applaud the Brits for a perfectly timed fireship. 

The issue I have and a lot of people have is damage to crew over large distances even when braced. 

Rook29 has a video of 3 of their ships dying to an exploding Buc and he was easily 300-400 meters away.

In the same video, The Eagle in a Snow took 300 crew off a Bellona by exploding next to him. A ship that size should not do that much damage to a line ship.

The Eagle also has a video of him exploding in a Vic and killing every ship around him including him friendly who was a decent distance away who was also in a Vic. 

In that battle, I was in brace and around 400-500 meters away from Bobzilla and lost around 650 crew. 

How many explosions were in that battle, 4 I can recall and there were potential for more? There were 2 explosions that took out something like 8 ships in the initial 15 minutes of the brawl. 

The chances of a ship catching fire is high, and it is a common occurrence for someone to try and blow up and now you just do a lot more damage. Interesting, considering that there were only a few instances of ships blowing up in the French Revolutionary Wars and Napoleonic Wars; the L'Orient and Achilles are about the only ones that come to mind.

This has shown the server that fireships are a valid tactic again. And yes it involves luck but with ports like Salamanca, Georgetown, Belize, San Juan, Maracaibo, Carta, St Johns, Santo Tome; I can guarantee you the attacking fleet will have a fire ship or highly consider using one especially if the wind is going strait into the harbor. And hey, as long as it explodes within 300 meters of the enemy it has done it job because now there's quite a few 1st rates on half crew, whether they are bracing or not. 

I'm fine with the sail damage etc, even crew damage; but it's the amount of crew loss when at range and even in brace. And that is a game changer for every nation.

P.S.: I despise any lineship that goes over 12-13 knots other than the Connie.

Edited by Redman29
  • Like 4

The British fleet made excellent use of the mechanics and perfectly calculated the time and maneuver. But still there is nothing legendary. You need: wind won, explosive ship, wait for the enemy to make a turn against the wind, enter the enemy fleet = done, victory)

everyone will use it. And if you are with a lost wind, you can leave the battle)

• Like 6

yes crew nukes are too strong.. hulls were wooden and could protect people.

We will

• reduce the crew damage,
  • increase sail damage
  • keep mast and hull damage.
  • We will also try to increase the brace effectiveness.

you have 1 day left to enjoy the nuking fireworks

we will also add crew penalties to fire ship related fittings to simulate low crews required to operate them. it will take longer though.

• Like 11