Game-Labs Forum

Exciting times ahead - pre-release wipes information

8 minutes ago, Powderhorn said:

This is not "getting off on a technicality."  This is simply explaining how language works.  I don't mind that people are upset.  Most of those posts can stand.  However, I will not allow this propagandistic redefinition of a word to stand simply so players can abuse it and feel like they have some moral high ground.

People are upset about a wipe.  Fair enough.  They should explain why.  If that sways the developers, fair enough.  If it does not, fair enough.

Saying it is 100% sure to happen then going back on it, makes the first a lie. Maybe he did not mean to lie, but that doesn't make it not a lie. It isn't meant to be taken personal but simply a fact of what happened. Regardless, the issue is people still wasted their time on the game base on the information given, still devs don't seem to be considering that at all. 
You're focusing on the wrong aspect of the issue, upset people don't act like they aren't upset. You're basically saying it's okay to be mad but not okay to act like you're mad. It doesn't make sense. The issue is of the devs making, don't put the blame on players for the consequences. 

Edited by Draymoor

Devs already said that we will keep books knowledge, and that is already very good. Some people are angry because they have 10 or more accounts to grind again, and now come with threats of sabotaging the game and give negative reviews.

To those with 10 accounts, shame on you.

• Like 6

Just now, Draymoor said:

Saying it is 100% sure to happen then going back on it, makes the first a lie. Maybe he did not mean to lie, but that doesn't make it not a lie. 

Actually, it literally does.  Hence why I quoted you the definition.  If you pursue down this path, I will be showing you the door.

As for understanding that people are mad, but asking them not to act mad...  Isn't that how polite society works?

• Like 4

3 hours ago, admin said:

we indeed said it. But then we also added - expect the worst in the same post
Keeping books = the best of all evils. 

indeed, and very well put since keeping those is indeed an evil (imo they shouldn't even exist, but that's a different matter)

first i had trouble understanding why we get to keep books and ship knowledge, but i think i understand what's going on here: we reset xp because that way we will be all in cutters for 48h (max?), so hopefully all early reviews won't see a too evident unbalance. this is just pr. the unbalance of course will be there, veterans will steamroll over new players in any case and scenario (they would even with a total wipe from day 1). 

i support this decision if it helps to give the game some early notoriety, but i'm a bit skeptical that it will really work because it will unbalance quite fast. for that reason i recommend resetting everything including books and knowledge. if that miffes off the most recalcitrant players that are egoistic/infantile enough to value their past and precious pixel grind above everything else then ... no hard feelings but, honestly, good riddance!

(looking forward for the cutter festival though!! most fun in ages!)

11 minutes ago, Draymoor said:

I have the right to demand what I payed for, simple as that. 

Excellent point.  Let's review:

ABOUT THIS GAME
Naval action - open world multiplayer sandbox

Naval Action is a hardcore, realistic, and beautifully detailed naval combat game immersing players into the experience of the most beautiful period of naval history - when sailing ships ruled the seas.
Features:
Exciting bugs – Because its still alpha we have an interesting selection of annoying, strange, and sometimes wonderful bugs. We are squashing them one by one, but it's Caribbean - they will keep coming for quite some time.

Enormous open world – Large open world, recreated based on 18th Century maps, historical harbors, positions, and town names. We do not believe in the various modern hand-holding markers, thus player position is not shown on the map: you will have to navigate yourself using compass, sun or landmarks. PS. battles are instanced to allow extremely complex sailing and fighting calculations for 50 ship battles. 

Freedom – Build ships, trade, sink enemies of your nation. You can attack anyone almost everywhere. Remember that every action could have consequences. So don't attack everyone - or you will become a pirate. Conquer almost every port in the Caribbean, but remember! other adventurous captains will try to ruin your plans.

Beautiful ships – Accurate hull models, sail plans, guns, internal upgrades, historical speed, turning and heel performance. Ships from small cutters to large 100+ gun 1st rates will allow the player to experience every possible role of the Age of Sail period. 

Realistic sailing – Advanced wind and physics model provides for realistic portrayal of ship’s performance in the age of sail. Yard angles, ship angle to wind, fittings and ship condition affects speeds and turning rates. Correct tacking, boxhauling, clubhauling and other elements of the age of sail sailing are possible. Hidden ship characteristics will allow to gradually uncover potential of the vessel – every ship in game will be unique. 

Historical gunnery - Realistic ballistics and cannon performance of the period. Every cannonball is tracked in the air and after it hits the target. One shot can hit the stern, damage the rudder, then hit the cannon carriage, injure crew, ricochet from the floor and hit the opposite side. Listing and wind affects the shooting distance and will require change of tactics. 

Weapons - All major types of naval artillery are implemented: from long guns to carronades. Fort and land batteries will provide support during port battles. Mortars are coming soon.

Damage model - Leaks, structural damage, torn sails, demasting, raking, fires and all other hazards that were possible in that era. Damage is positional: hit the gun and you might destroy it. Gunnery crews are placed deck by deck. Shot can pass through the balcony, ricochet of the gun, hit a crew member and then fly out of the gunport splashing into the water. Armor thickness and wood type is implemented and at extreme angles cannonballs will ricochet from the hulls. 

Community driven development - Players actively participate in development and many elements of the game have already been implemented based on the player feedback. Content is immediately given out to players for testing and improvement. Share your thoughts in comments or on the forums.

• Like 1

For those of you who are just arriving to this thread, I shall make bold in summarizing.

4 hours ago, admin said:

You can expect at least 3 resets/wipes [...] One of them will include full XP reset

People are currently dismayed by this for the following reason:

Rank xp, crafting xp is safe and guaranteed

People would obviously like to have their XP reimbursed in the way that Banished Privateer suggested in the first few pages of this thread, or would at least like SUBSTANTIVE compensation because they (self included) feel lied to by the way the word "guaranteed" is currently being stretched into "possibly". 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Charles Edward Stuart said:

For those of you who are just arriving to this thread, I shall make bold in summarizing.

People are currently dismayed by this for the following reason:

People would obviously like to have their XP reimbursed in the way that Banished Privateer suggested in the first few pages of this thread, or would at least like SUBSTANTIVE compensation because they (self included) feel lied to by the way the word "guaranteed" is currently being stretched into "possibly". 

Crew size rank and crafting rank xp though are quite easy to reskill,  keeping skill books is  nice as they take the longest i think.

Re-skilling ship knowledge is a bind sure but will be same for all.

I opened that thread over 6 months ago, and yes i understand why some people feel kinda pissed, but things change i guess. 

No point everyone getting hyper about it yet we still a while off the big wipe from what i gathered.

Edited by Dibbler

1 hour ago, Charles Edward Stuart said:

HMS Pandora is the reimbursement. Its an amazing DLC that will be given for free to all accounts, and then will be maid paid and very expensive.

And lets get things straight. We did want to keep xp and crafting xp safe until we did not. We first wanted to give veterans and advantage against new players, but now we dont. we cant, keeping that promise is bad for the game, because all players must be equal on launch.

• Like 15

because all players must be equal on launch.

absolutely correct way DEV`s

I am also losing mega tons of resourses, ships and other stuff. Hey, friends it´s a game, and we start together brand new, with and released Game (not Alpha)

Edited by Kopelent
  • Like 5

Everyone's complaining about the wrong stuff, it was maybe implied that we'd be keeping our XP, but honestly if I had to choose between keeping learned books or XP, I would choose to keep my books. You don't even have to be max rank to fully crew a 1st rate anymore. One month after release and everyone will have line ships again.

What we should be concerned about is the game not feeling like it's anywhere close to being ready for released. Maybe this will change with the next updates, I hope it will. However, I have not seen any indication that the necessary changes will be made.

My main concern is there are still R zones, rear admirals still hang out in the R zones, pvpers will still camp the R zones, and new players will be sunk around the R zones and quit the game. A couple months after release, we'll probably be back to the same 500 people who play now. Again, I hope this changes, but I have seen no indication that it will. There needs to be something, some area or part of the map that draws people away from the R zones, call it a pvp zone for lack of better name but it needs to be more enticing than the current pvp zone.

• Like 3

HMS Pandora is the reimbursement. Its an amazing DLC that will be given for free to all accounts, and then will be maid paid and very expensive.

And lets get things straight. We did want to keep xp and crafting xp safe until we did not. We first wanted to give veterans and advantage against new players, but now we dont. we cant, keeping that promise is bad for the game, because all players must be equal on launch.

Could you clarify @admin, will the the HMS Pandora be given as a one time redeemable? Or will it function like the current Hercules and La Requin DLCs?

Edited by Vladimir Drago
forgot to quote

1 hour ago, John Sheppard said:

What happenes to the NEW players that join after 1 month or later? Why would they be any different and why it's fair for those players to see everyone else max rank in big ships killing them all the time? What's the difference between those players and the ones just after the release?

First of all calm down. This is a developer announcement and toxic language and forum rule breaking is looked upon more negatively here.

Second.
What happens to the new players after 1 month depends on what happens to new players on day 1. Happy players on day 1 = more players for longer.
Veterans should not have better ships and crafting ranks on day 1. Giving veterans advantage over new players at launch was a bad idea. 

• Like 12

So lets get this ball rolling shall I When there Econ is reset all of our  money will be gone how to do you expect clans that have ports that they pay for them. To be able to get the money to pay for the said ports if the Econ is going to be in a disaster after the wipe happens you wont have many happy people if all of there clans money is gone and then they lose all of there ports they worked hard for are gone

3 minutes ago, Vladimir Drago said:

Could you clarify @admin, will the the HMS Pandora be given as a one time redeemable? Or will it function like the current Hercules and La Requin DLCs?

Pandora will be a DLC like Hercules - usable every 24h. We will post more information shortly. Valve has kindly agreed to add it to all Early access accounts (thank you Gabe) and then add to store on launch

• Like 2

1 minute ago, admin said:

Pandora will be a DLC like Hercules - usable every 24h. We will post more information shortly. Valve has kindly agreed to add it to all Early access accounts (thank you Gabe) and then add to store on launch

What will be the fate of St. Cecilia? Onetime gift for testing to be wiped at some point, or will she remain available in some way?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Draymoor said:

Some people I think are missing the point. Full wipe isn't the issue, but the fact that it was guaranteed to not happen. If they said full wipe from the start, there would be no outrage or least they could've said they didn't know or could NOT guarantee it. I mean if you buy ANY product, imagine the manufacturer going back on the guarantee after they sold it to you?

Most guarantees are shorter than 3 years. This promise was made in 2015, we expected to release in the end of 2016. Sorry but promising veterans advantage on launch so close to release seems like a very bad idea.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, admin said:

Most guarantees are shorter than 3 years. This promise was made in 2015, we expected to release in the end of 2016. Sorry but promising veterans advantage on launch so close to release seems like a very bad idea.

That not the problem, you already guaranteed it. You made a mistake announcing wrong information which wasn't in 2015. It was LAST YEAR. People were asking months ago and you confirmed it was guaranteed. You could start by admitting you made an error and compensate players' time you wasted. 

Edited by Draymoor
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, admin said:

There is no information on the final release wipe yet. But when this decision will be made based on what is going to make the game better on release. What is certain is that books and skill books will remain safe + pandora will be provided as free DLC for all early access testers.

Are you really asking us to grind every single ship xp, every single rank xp and every single craft xp all over again??!