Game-Labs Forum

Exciting times ahead - pre-release wipes information

22 minutes ago, admin said:

First of all calm down. This is a developer announcement and toxic language and forum rule breaking is looked upon more negatively here.

Second.
What happens to the new players after 1 month depends on what happens to new players on day 1. Happy players on day 1 = more players for longer.
Veterans should not have better ships and crafting ranks on day 1. Giving veterans advantage over new players at launch was a bad idea. 

5 minutes ago, Velhelm Von Marrius said:

No. Just Rank xp. Ship xp is safe. Not sure about crafting though. I got your back bro.

To me it reads as everything will be wiped. I foresee a server pop of less than 300 in primetime after the patch..

2 hours ago, Powderhorn said:

Everyone keeps saying that admin lied.  English is not everyone's first language on here, but, let me clear something up real quick:

Emphasis added.

There was no lie.  There was no intent to deceive.  You cannot lie about there not being an XP wipe if you did not know about it yourself.  There was a reevaluation, and some people will be upset about that.  However, now that I've cleared that up, any post going forward accusing admin of lying about the wipe will be dismissed out of hand.  Talk about why it frustrates you.  Talk about what you think the impact of the decision will be.  However, accusing him of lying is simply false and non-productive.

Would you mind explaining why you believe that grinding xp, craft xp, and ship knowledge all over again will be content?

Are there MAJOR changes to the way xp is achieved?

Are there MAJOR changes to the crafting system?

Are there MAJOR changes to the way shipknowledge is achieved?

If the answer to any of the above is no, then I say this news will not frustrates anyone. It will just kill off what remains of the game, no one can look at the server pop and not think "this will not be going for long", and this won't increase server pop one bit. Thinking that new players will experience a different game simply by "levelling" the playingfield from the start is downright naive. Vets didn't become vets by unlocking the ships, they became vets by their experiences in game. Newbs will still be slaughtered at the capitals.

28 minutes ago, Velhelm Von Marrius said:

No. Just Rank xp. Ship xp is safe. Not sure about crafting though. I got your back bro.

"Rank xp, crafting xp is safe and guaranteed" - Admin

You should probably rethink that statement.  To be honest with a track record like this where a company makes a guarantee and then within a few short months does not follow through with that guarantee you cannot say with any certainty whatsoever that anything is "safe."   

• Like 3

Just now, JDAM said:

Never believed that in the first place. Spam it all you want. 

1 minute ago, JDAM said:

You should probably rethink that statement.  To be honest with a track record like this where a company makes a guarantee and then within a few short months does not follow through with that guarantee you cannot say with any certainty whatsoever that anything is "safe."   

I wont. I am going off of information stated here. If they change it they change it. I wont complain. I knew what I was getting into with early access. The winds change over time and you must adjust accordingly. 

3 minutes ago, Ganking Simulator said:

I would hope that everything gets wiped, including books and knowledge for more fairness. But looking at the outrage here the chances for that are probably small :lol:

What would a full wipe accomplish? Vets will get everything in a matter of days, there's no change in that. The game is skill based, books, xp, crafting xp, trading routes. The vets will get everything in a matter of weeks and ppl that don't spend 1000+ hours in the game won't be on a level playing field anyway.

1 minute ago, JDAM said:

"Rank xp, crafting xp is safe and guaranteed" - Admin

if you expected the worst you would not be upset. It is also in that post. 
There was no "few short months" - you are making up things.
This promise was made in 2015. And repeated because we believed it was true and good.
But based on what we know on how valve promotes and features games on steam - it wont be good any more.
Now we think that giving veterans advantage over new players on launch is a horrible idea . 

• Like 10

Just now, Velhelm Von Marrius said:

Never believed that in the first place. Spam it all you want. 

I wont. I am going off of information stated here. If they change it they change it. I wont complain. I knew what I was getting into with early access. The winds change over time and you must adjust accordingly. 

True but putting out a statement and then back peddling is absolutely ridiculous from the standpoint of a professional developer. Just admit you made a mistake and be done with it. At least then we could at least respect you for principles.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Lars Kjaer said:

What would a full wipe accomplish? Vets will get everything in a matter of days, there's no change in that. The game is skill based, books, xp, crafting xp, trading routes. The vets will get everything in a matter of weeks and ppl that don't spend 1000+ hours in the game won't be on a level playing field anyway.

its a matter of principle. Fresh new game fresh new water starting at clean slate or a used evening swimming pool with first rate spam and screenings.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Artagnu Pedrugn said:

True but putting out a statement and then back peddling is absolutely ridiculous from the standpoint of a professional developer. Just admit you made a mistake and be done with it. At least then we could at least respect you for principles.

Mistakes yes.
The promise to keep XP was a mistake - as when it was made the game was clean and fresh and not even launched (end of 2015), and we were young and unprofessional then.
So when the developer makes a mistake he corrects it - so we corrected it. Stupid promise to give veterans an unfair advantage over new players retracted: Everyone starts at the same position on release (with the exception of skillbooks)

• Like 15

2 minutes ago, admin said:

if you expected the worst you would not be upset. It is also in that post. 
There was no "few short months" - you are making up things.
This promise was made in 2015. And repeated because we believed it was true and good.
But based on what we know on how valve promotes and features games on steam - it wont be good any more.
Now we think that giving veterans advantage over new players on launch is a horrible idea . 

And yet vets will have a tangible advantage over others. Just read the statements, someone actually thinks you can only kill a snow in a basic cutter! Vets knows that you can kill a third rate in a BC.. Vets knows about the trading system - is that really going to change or are you just working along the same lines just with new names? If it's the latter it won't change a thing. Vets knows about the crafting system and how to max the level asap, I just levelled one of my alts from lvl 1 to lvl 50 in 2 days. How is that knowledge going to change upon release? And what about the hercs, the le requins - isn't those tangible advantages over others?

7 hours ago, Vernon Merrill said:

It's bad enough how condescending your other posts are, but do I have to read crap like this while viewing a news and announcements thread? Mods? Anyone? I see a lot of fuss being made of whether someone chooses to say "lie" or "unintentionally misled," but it would be nice if moderation could be used to improve the forum experience for other users, and not just as a means of managing criticism, deserved or not.

@admin As someone else already asked, how does this affect testbed rewards? Kind of takes the wind out of the paint and Santa Cecilia sails if we only get them for a few months/weeks.

I have more to say regarding the wipes, and the way they are being announced, but you have a tendency to only reply to the parts of my post you take exception with, while ignoring the rest, and I'd really appreciate it if you could answer the question.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, admin said:

There is no information on the final release wipe yet. But when this decision will be made based on what is going to make the game better on release. What is certain is that books and skill books will remain safe + pandora will be provided as free DLC for all early access testers.

Wait a seconed, they promised us we can keep the Crew  Rank at least years ago. I came back to push my Rank before release again. Damn, dont let me Restart.

Also ! NEW PLAYERS! HUSA!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Lars Kjaer said:

You are right, it wont be equal at all.

But everyone will have to start leveling again which means its much more easy to integrate new and returning players.

Also everyone will start sailing on whatever ships they get (except if you are French, in that case you only leave capital if you are maxed out again) so its easier to get fights since losing some random trash ships isnt that bad.

Also economy will be different probably, so everyone will need to figure it out again.

1 hour ago, admin said:

Pandora will be a DLC like Hercules - usable every 24h. We will post more information shortly. Valve has kindly agreed to add it to all Early access accounts (thank you Gabe) and then add to store on launch

So not only will non early access people be able to buy it, but I'll also look like a DLC using noob when sailing it? I'd rather get the yacht tbh.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, admin said:

People also thought asbestos was good for your house. 
Yes we said it, but the previous proposal was thought to be great (and we defended it to the end) but we now realised that it will make things worse. 
Thus = Full wipe
People on release are buying a new game. They dont give a **** about early access. The game will receive 1000x more impressions from steam on release (because they don't even rotate EA games on main page unless it is is featured). And we cannot send those new users to have non-consensual sex with veterans. Everyone will sail a cutter on day one  (to get to pandora or dlc ships players will have to level up)

Wihle im hate to lose my ranks, i do unterstand it. So, one last, final Grind then?

1 minute ago, Meraun said:

Wihle im hate to lose my ranks, i do unterstand it. So, one last, final Grind then?

Oh how wonderfully naive.

@admin there's still no reply to my questions - how will crafting, lvl'ing, trading, combat models be changed to justify this wipe?

How will the wipe really level the playing field for ppl?

7 hours ago, adriancairns said:

well I have stuck with this game have over 8000 hrs as have a lot of other people . In the hope you will change direction 

tbf howlong doe you need to lvl up agaion? 300h? Its nothing compared to you Playtime. You will be up there in Juli again.