Game-Labs Forum

Profanity usage in game.

admin

There is a difference between swearing

.. and swwearing at someone.

You are allowed to swear in this game.  You are not allowed to insult other players.

As long as you follow this simple rule you are kinda fine.

We believe that our players are kind persons which know the difference between colouring their statements and flaming/ spamming curses in their writing.

After all its a game with sailors.. and sailors swear. a lot. it would be pathetic to punish roleplaying.

• Like 1

Me personally I have no issue with it... it's insults are humourous and shows great creativity. ;)

I've never liked however the use of Thou, Thine and Art, too biblical in my mind.

English not being my native language i didn't knew about the possible biblical connotation of those words too, good to know.

I'll have to finish this sig one of those days when I'll have more free time ^^  

Thanks

English not being my native language i didn't knew about the possible biblical connotation of those words too, good to know.

I'll have to finish this sig one of those days when I'll have more free time ^^  

Thanks

'Thou' corresponds to 'I/you/he/she'. 
'Thee' corresponds to 'me/you/him/her'. 
'Thy' corresponds to 'my/your/his/her'.
'Thine' -- 'mine/yours/his/hers'. 

No problem I think the biblical reference is to the creation of the Early Modern Protestant Bible of the roughly the same period... hence the constant use of the above

"Thou shalt not kill" for example

"Thine is the Kingdom, the Power and Glory" etc etc...

'Thou' corresponds to 'I/you/he/she'. 
'Thee' corresponds to 'me/you/him/her'. 
'Thy' corresponds to 'my/your/his/her'.
'Thine' -- 'mine/yours/his/hers'. 

No problem I think the biblical reference is to the creation of the Early Modern Protestant Bible of the roughly the same period... hence the constant use of the above

"Thou shalt not kill" for example

"Thine is the Kingdom, the Power and Glory" etc etc...

It comes from Anglo-Saxon and Germanic influence, back when thorns were still used regularly.

The issue I have with all of this is that the list of time appropriate profanity was just that back in that time period....PROFANITY. You know mouth like a sailor and all that right? Well our modern profanity is just as profane as the old stuff so I don't understand the difference truth be told. This is more like asking me to roleplay in which I truly have no desire to do so. Definitely put a profanity filter in chat for the Quakers out there I guess.

In the fighting instruction cursing sailor could be subject to flogging. Captains could also be punished.

THE ARTICLES OF WAR 1757

1. All flag officers, and all persons in or belonging to His Majesty's ships or vessels of war, being guilty of profane oaths, cursings, execrations, drunkenness, uncleanness, or other scandalous actions, in derogation of God's honour, and corruption of good manners, shall incur such punishment as a court martial shall think fit to impose, and as the nature and degree of their offence shall deserve.
  • Like 3

In fairness, swearing is forbidden in the American military boot camp and has been for years, and is strongly discouraged outside of that - officially. However, swearing still happens quite frequently and forcefully.

That being said, you'd occasionally get the senior NCO who wanted to be a model for the rules and would actually use replacement words for swearing, except they were habituated to using swear words as a mental pause (instead of saying "Uhhh"). This would lead to humorous incidents of getting chewed out by someone who, still arraging their thoughts would start yelling " Friggin' daggone daggone friggin' friggin' what is your daggone friggin' problem, devil?!"

Just as an example of how rules are often passed to create a polite fiction, and are not necessarily representative of the actual situation.

(This, not to be taken as disagreement of the general premise - We should all strive to be good stewards of the game and community. This need not be "preschool redux")

• Like 2

In fairness, swearing is forbidden in the American military boot camp and has been for years, and is strongly discouraged outside of that - officially. However, swearing still happens quite frequently and forcefully.

Not just in basic training, our church going Lt. Col., of my scout unit would give the most colorful post training exercise speeches you ever heard. Then when there were officers from other units and/or civilians around it was all proper English. There is a difference between what is in the regulations and what happens in real life.

When a private was being 'corrected' (dropped to do pushups) -during everyday life after basic- 'what the f*ck' and 'are you f*cking stupid?' was generally present in every one of those one way conversations, even though technically forbidden in the regs. I know I cursed a lot when correcting, didn't care who heard. That was known as 'NCOs business', no one got in the middle of it, not officers, no one, you stood off and ignored it.

Back to the point of the thread, there is cursing tactfully, cursing excessively and cursing at someone, the 1st one should not offend any but the most sensitive and most likely perpetually offended types.

Install a profanity filter. 2 problems solved. Those with sensitive dispositions don't have to read it and the free speech champions don't have to start countless threads about free speech infringement.

• Like 3

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Rolling on the deck laughing my Darby off. A wonderful light hearted way to deal with a subject that could get way out of hand.

I love the generator Captain Darby, good job. For those who may not understand the English language that well, do not worry to understand the means for there are none. Just funny sounding gibberish.

• Like 1

Install a profanity filter. 2 problems solved. Those with sensitive dispositions don't have to read it and the free speech champions don't have to start countless threads about free speech infringement.

Given people who frequently use insults are also pretty much incapable of spelling them properly, so a profanity filter would have to be very, very broad to actually work. I have never seen one that actually works :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In the fighting instruction cursing sailor could be subject to flogging. Captains could also be punished.

THE ARTICLES OF WAR 1757

1. All flag officers, and all persons in or belonging to His Majesty's ships or vessels of war, being guilty of profane oaths, cursings, execrations, drunkenness, uncleanness, or other scandalous actions, in derogation of God's honour, and corruption of good manners, shall incur such punishment as a court martial shall think fit to impose, and as the nature and degree of their offence shall deserve.

That article like many others were rarely enforced, and then..... common sense was introduced and it was scrapped.

But in game..... just have a filter..... common sense.

Edited by Pulsey
  • Like 1

Amazing...

I just had a guy in the Steam Forums rip me a new one.  Not Sure why ...  He called me every name in the book, threatened me, and just would not let me go.  All because I couldn't understand his request.  When your ADMIN came in, it was apparent that that guy could say those things to me ... The Admin, then deleted all the relevant posts and locked the thread.

That guy, violated several Steam rules, but then your ADMIN just allowed it.  YES!  I have all the conversation, before it was deleted recorded ...  But nice to see you have a BE NICE TO PEOPLE thread ...

Just to remind those free speech champions that 'free speech' is an American thing. Other countries have have anti hate speech laws, anti profanity laws and just plain common sense. Besides, 'free speech' does not and never has applied to private websites.

I just put them on 'ignore' - and I suggest others do the same.

It amuses me to think of these foul-mouthed individuals gradually closing down their coms with every ***** they put in chat

One day no-one will be listening

Edited by mouse of war
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

On occasions I've said whore, whores, and whoring, shall I replace that with "wenches" and "wenching" instead?

I do not appreciate your scant three collumns of words, when I pirate I insult them and say they fight like Dairy Farmers!

That they're wretched gut crawling curs! Their repulsiveness is akin to a monkey in a negligee!

And when all insult eludes me, I simply say "I am rubber you are glue!"

Some lilly livered deusch boy even went so far as to say

"bist du behindert"

"Are you disabled"

So I replied   "Ja, ich habe ein Holzbein!"
                   "Yes I have a peg leg!"

• Like 1

today I was chasing a trader snow and whle I was doing it a mercury-lynx fleet attacked to a player passing near to me. eventually he pulled me to battle and look what he says.

you can clearly see I am at second to top of list so he is the one who pulled me.

vPbUNZr.jpg

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I agree those are not insults hell i know more insults in other languages that work better than that nonsense and a profanity filter not a bad idea but then instead of saying fuck which would be caught you would say probably say f.u.c.k. or some other form of the word like my fave Fu-cK more looks like an element on the periodic table than a swear easy.

Edited by Captain Pickle