Game-Labs Forum

Exciting times ahead - pre-release wipes information

49 minutes ago, Slim McSauce said:

Patch 10 wipes we did not see veterans overtake noobs in the early weeks everyone struggled forward at roughly the same pace. Don't be so sure you'll take off running faster than everyone else just because you've played a little longer, the game you're use to isn't the same game you'll play at release.

I will be sailing Hercules and Le Requin in a few hours. Am I missing something, am I correct? 

There were no dlc and final exam shortcut to M&C rank, after patch 10, correct? 

New players who can not pass exam or who does not own dlc, will sail maximum 6th rates in first few hours, correct? 

What will happen? When a team of veterans blockade mortimer/kpr etc. with Hercules and Le Requin? 

This is my point, trying to see worst possible option. 

I am fine with resetting everything (I have all books) , but grinding ship slots , a nightmare for sure, I do not know the reason to grind for every single ship. 

Edited by AeRoTR
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, Slim McSauce said:

Patch 10 wipes we did not see veterans overtake noobs in the early weeks everyone struggled forward at roughly the same pace. Don't be so sure you'll take off running faster than everyone else just because you've played a little longer, the game you're use to isn't the same game you'll play at release.

That's a bit of an assumption, first off there are no vets up at the US seaboard only noobs. And secondly - the reason why vets pulled ahead is exactly because they moved at a much faster pace than everyone else, a pace that will be exponentially faster with the tutorial and herc DLC.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Howell Davis said:

18 mins for the final exam, 40 for the rest.

Think we all know the real PvP players no matter what we doo will have the upper hand from day 1. My guess they right after exame will go hunt, just hope combat news don’t break Down.

• Like 1

To be fair, I have always argued for a full wipe.  The thing is, you cannot wipe the vet's ability.  So realistically, taking away the knowledge would just be punitive.  "We all start on an even playing field" is false, because some of you have 4 years experience with this game.  Might as well let the vets keep something and not be completely inconvenienced.  The balancer is to make acquiring these books (and the mods, woods, resources for that matter) much easier.  Why shouldn't everyone have them?  Then the game is skill focused, not gear focused.

• Like 3

On 2/27/2019 at 12:29 AM, admin said:

Everyone will sail a cutter on day one 

As it should be! Gonna sink all my 1,2,3,4,5th rates this week with well deserved honour, they served me well!!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Angus MacDuff said:

Why shouldn't everyone have them?  Then the game is skill focused, not gear focused.

I've been intensely occupied with this question or problem almost since the release of OW. From reading posters opinions it seems to me that chasing gear carrots is a thing, some call it a reason to play or grind, some call it content, some seem to hate the idea of (skill based) "cookie cutter" ships and place enormous value on the ability to "customize" ships. I use quotation marks because that word makes it sound almost harmless.

For a game with NA's core combat to be so gear based isn't sexy at all. It breaks my heart.

• Like 2

The game will always be unfair towards new players already after 1 hour post wipe. Imagine how unfair the game will be for new players coming into the game 1 week after release, or even after 1 month. The "level playground" for everyone is an illusion.  

Unless... you wipe it all again! Full wipes every week! :D 

• Like 2

On 2/26/2019 at 10:54 PM, admin said:

Hello Captains

This is an advance warning on the turbulent 1-2 months ahead of us.

In the next patch we will introduce significant changes to trading, damage model, mission distribution, port importance to clans, and ROE. As we are getting closer and closer to the release candidate the game will require several wipes (acc resets) during this pre-release preparation in areas most affected by the changes.

First wipe will happen next week (from 4th to 8th March) 

The following things will be completely reset/wiped in the first wipe

• Victory marks: all victory marks will be removed, spend them on ships
  • Ship permits:  all ship permits will be removed, spend them on ships
  • Reals: all reals above 50,000 will be removed
  • Crafting resources: All crafting resources will be removed (like iron ore, oak etc.)
  • Trading resources – all trading resources will be removed (like Sevilla Muskets)
  • Tutorial rewards will most likely be reset: you will be able to pass the tutorial and get the rewards again

What remains unaffected

• All seaworthy assets: ships, cannons, upgrades, books, or unopened chests will NOT be affected or removed.
  • All investments in buildings, dock space and warehousing upgrades or outposts will NOT be affected or removed
  • Ship crafting XP and Combat XP will NOT be affected.

The main goal of the wipe is to test the new economy, trading and updated resource prices and labor hours (lh for crafting ships will be lowered).

Additional pre-release resets/wipes if needed will be announced in the future in news on Steam and on game forums.

We understand that it causes a lot of inconvenience to a lot of you. We arranging with valve to add the Early Access bonus ship Pandora to all early access buyers as Free DLC that will be redeemable once every 24 hours. It will take time but will definitely happen in March.

What about ship knowledge books?

I have an Art of Ship Handling lying around that I can give to someone to learn.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Flinch said:

RIP newbs

Don't worry about them, they know old hands will beat them.

I feel the pain of the upcoming wipe in the stomach of my stomach, but I realize non-wipe release could unleash a torrent of autistic screeching and end up a PR (internet) nightmare.

• Like 2

I'm quite indifferent to the whole "broken promise" drama. We knew this would end up in a total wipe. Then some of us begged and batted our eyelashes to get to keep the xp (yup, I'm weak) and admin said we could keep it since we're so adorable. Then they realized the risk, slammed the brakes, and we're back to where we started on the question of wipes.

I don't disagree with you, @Wraith. I also appreciate that they had to make a choice between bad and worse, or "choose the lesser of two weevils" as we're obligated to say around here. I can't say I know which weevil is the optimal choice at this point.

• Like 6

I thought this was a place for people to leave their opinions or possibly ask sensible questions.  I am fed up of seeing people repeatedly giving their opinion on other peoples feelings on the subject.  Yes a forum is a place for debate but can everyone please respect the opinions of the individuals one way or another.  there are strong feelings out there but trying to impose your thoughts on someone who has strong feelings about it isn't going to change much.  Let the developers and admin know how you feel, leave them to decide and give those people wishing to leave an honest opinion a break.

• Like 1

@admin I apologise if it as already been said before (it's hard to find stuff amongst all the whining about XP wipes) but can you confirm, if the rare woods (teak.white/live etc) are being wiped with this first patch or is it just the basic resources?

Edited by Neads O'Tune

10 minutes ago, Ahoy H.R. Matey said:

Oh... hell no.

Grinding slots was and is awful, but it can't hold a candle to grinding rank. Especially in the very beginning. I'm not doing that crap ever again. Not worth my nerves or my time.

Shhhhhh! I'm low-key trying to suppress that very voice inside my own head.