Game-Labs Forum

Patch 14: Part 3 experimental patch increasing realism in ship behavior

admin

12 minutes ago, Eleven said:

And still you see how weak that point is. My job is done here. 

We play NA on Earth, Caribbean, early 19th century. Many players expect a fight between Spaniards, British, French and other nations and not between fictional alliances. The historical context is important for many players and also a reason to buy.

If you want to sell a game about the American Civil War, some players expect to find Yankees and rebels there, not orcs and elves. I think a game with Yankees and rebels would sell better.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, rediii said:

This game should fit everyone.

@redii

Den Satz lasse ich mir einrahmen. Ich denke/hoffe in Zukunft wirst du dich auch so ins Zeug legen für Händler, Städteverwalter, Wirtschaftsmogule und Missionrunner. Es freut mich, das bei dir ein Umdenken stattgefunden hat.

Edited by Dominique Youx

42 minutes ago, Eleven said:

And I wouldn't mind Orcs crewing my ship, what was the argument again?

Warhammer games are selling pretty well too and it's all fiction. 

That would make no sense if this game was Warhammer themed. How many more people are attracted to the naval aspect of the Warhammer series as are attracted to....actual naval history. Not many I'd think. It' be very confusing.

Like if there were 0 historic nation, yet we still had all these historic ships build by these nations that don't appear in game. Like whats even the point of NA at that point? Might as well build a full fantasy MMO and put sailing in it like Arch Age.

I paused the game after Patch 9 and returned with 14.  I went to the PVE Server, because PvP annoyed me (not because I don't like PvP at all, but I always tend to pick the "wong" side). It was that simple. I enjoy the game on PvE much more now.

So I invite everyone, who is annoyed by greedy pirates too, to come to the friendly side of the world:)

The main annoyances on PvE Server for you will be the wind and much less players that are not compensated by more NPCs (fleets or traders). So you may end up in sailing an hour against the wind without seeing anything but the weather. But nothing and nobody else bothers you.

4 hours ago, rediii said:

I always thought like that. From recent discussions with you I know though that you are too extreme against pvp players.

I will not realy propose much for traders, Crafters and pve players because its not my field

A trader puts a "like" on this... :P

5 hours ago, Eleven said:

And I wouldn't mind Orcs crewing my ship, what was the argument again?

Warhammer games are selling pretty well too and it's all fiction. 

The draw of Warhammer, Star Trek, Star Wars, is again, they have established "nations" or factions.  And all of them are sci-fi or fantasy.   But any game based in realism or history needs defined nations, fictitious or real.   WWII Online, has Germany, US, France, UK...  Aces High had Bishops, Rooks and Knights, in an arena based flight sim, but in the historical arena, they divided them up by nationality for scenarios. 

And there is a game where Orcs can crew your ship, I think it is called Warhulk or something like that.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, rediii said:

eve has nations aswell but also corps. You say it doesnt work?

Its just a better concept than what we have in current NA in my oppinion. In the end NA could and already attracts a lot of eve interested people that dont want as many tables etc but want to control thenship and shoot themselve.

Giving people the possibility to found a own nation would create more content and more competition around ports on the map while still keeping nation interrsted people that can fight for gb, sweden or whatever.

However you also need a proper alliancesystem between clans and a working OW system with these new, playerfounded "nations" (pirate clans, companys, however you want to call them)

Well, In EVE the four lore nations have a minor impact. They now are there just to determine some reputations (that allow you to access some part of high sec space and/or to get some higher level quest).

99% of the gameplay is clan based in EVE. But in EVE you have very sophisticated in game tools and mechanics to manage your clan and alliances or war declarations and so on.

Here do not have either a log for the clan warehouse.

NA is a nice (and niche) game with an incredibly active and dedicated playerbase, but the content - being objective - is not a lot compared to other MMO games.

Edited by victor

1 hour ago, rediii said:

Its just a better concept than what we have in current NA in my oppinion. In the end NA could and already attracts a lot of eve interested people that dont want as many tables etc but want to control thenship and shoot themselve.

Giving people the possibility to found a own nation would create more content and more competition around ports on the map while still keeping nation interrsted people that can fight for gb, sweden or whatever.

However you also need a proper alliancesystem between clans and a working OW system with these new, playerfounded "nations" (pirate clans, companys, however you want to call them)

Why not just add more historical minor nations? Portugal for example. Prussia has what, 20 players? These nations can fit any clan you want and it doesn't taint the OW with a bunch of random made up country names.

As always I believe pirates should be a status you get from doing something unlawful like sink one of your own nation members. Not a self governing nation-like.

Edited by Slim Jimmerson
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Slim Jimmerson said:

As always I believe pirates should be a status you get from doing something unlawful like sink one of your own nation members. Not a self governing nation-like.

Problem is you cant control who joins this nation as it is not "your" nation.

Would be nice if you could form your own little pirate nation. Like a Clan, just with a minimum amount of players.

Historical Pirate Flags

VHnejSb.gif

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jon Snow lets go said:

Would be nice if you could form your own little pirate nation. Like a Clan, just with a minimum amount of players.

Those are nice flags. I'm not against this but I'd rather see small elite clans settle in a real minor nation and not all have their own mini pirate coalition. Unless they were exempt from nation RVR, I'd imagine the map soon filled up with pirate clan ports.

Because lets face it, who wouldn't want to sail under one those many dope flags, having a nation all to your own clan.

Edited by Slim Jimmerson

1 hour ago, rediii said:

playerfounded "nations" (pirate clans, companys, however you want to call them)

@rediiicall it "faction". A nation is then also just one of many factions, with some special properties. 

I also think that more content to the game is needed. Factions would be great! Adding to this: every player should have relations with each faction depending on your actions. Sinking a player or AI ship of a faction let's your relation drop up to the point where that faction is hostile to you. 

Nations should only be a backdrop in this game.  I personally like the idea of 3 major nations be kind of the starting area and if you want to branch out to more advanced stuff you need to leave the kiddie pool and jump into the deep end in a war company/clan/alliance type of situation.  I kinda feel like admin made a step in this direction with BR ports and clan owned ports, but just didn't go far enough.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rediii said:

Eve falls under the same area as Star Trek, it is a sci-fi game.  And as others pointed out, the "nations" in that game are just a jumping off point for the real gameplay.   Corps in that game are the core of the "faction" design.   And again as others pointed out, the controls on those corps is amazingly deep.   Even with that said, some of the oldest corps in that game have more history than Poland does in the Caribbean... Like TEST and Goonswarm come to mind.   For every TEST or Goonswarm type corp, there are honestly probably thousands of failed corps along the way.

2 hours ago, Jon Snow lets go said:

Reveal hidden contents

Historical Pirate Flags

VHnejSb.gif

I am slightly upset by that list, there isnt a flag for Teach, or Rackham. 

3 hours ago, rediii said:

So instead of working towards a better clangameplay with more conteng we should stick to current stuff?

Rome wasnt build in 1 day, so wasnt eve

frankly speaking I would like devs implement tools that allows clans to be a real thing and not just a chat and a warehouse open to officers. 

EVE was not built in a day for sure, but has 100x times the content of naval action.

Try not to dream too much about this game. If you fly too high with dreams, the awakening could be very disappointing.

I like naval action and still spend almost all my game time in this game, but I recognize also the limits of the project.  

2 hours ago, Navalus Magnus said:

@admin

Could you please update the BR!?

Or is there anything that needs to be done before this - seemingly rather simple - adjustment?

-> serious question and no offense intended!

It’s just that quite some players are waiting for it for months now!

Please make the Prince de Neufchatel 75 BR so I can tag Endymion :)

• Like 1

On 11.1.2018 at 2:40 PM, Hethwill said:

OT: LaLaLand !!!

Hah! It may be OT but it's more on point than you might think. The fastest low-level fighter; la7 is called "lala" (with the optional post-fix "dweeb", slightly derogatory due to extreme usage). Then there's the high-alt "runstang". 😉

• Like 3

3 hours ago, jodgi said:

Hah! It may be OT but it's more on point than you might think. The fastest low-level fighter; la7 is called "lala" (with the optional post-fix "dweeb", slightly derogatory due to extreme usage). Then there's the high-alt "runstang". 😉

http://www.virtualpilots.fi/feature/articles/bookofdweeb/

• Like 1

You make "critical" hit locations that get you killed and are relatively easy to hit, you force people to use specific mods.  Masts we all know.

Leaks is another thing.  If with a good broadside I shoot 30 leaks and my enemy sinks if he does not have upgraded pump.  Why to sink?  You could make repairing longer and take more men.  Slow down the ship with leaks.

The "base" game without any critical hit locations is very good in NA.  You simplify/remove tactical part of NA with these critical locations.   The game turns so fast that you don't any more develop your victory, you simply sail next to and shoot a mast off.