Game-Labs Forum

Sad news from Europe: Sixth coalition is kaput

7 minutes ago, Sunleader said:

What we need is to get away from this ever more PvP thing and start getting PvE Content to attract Players.

This game needs everyone hardcore-,  causal- and hardcore causal-  players, rvr, pvp and pve because its a niche game. If this new nations get implemented right they could attract the hardcore players again. Changing existing nations to capturable Capitals one is wrong. Look at pirates most pirates dont welcome drastically changes that would make them real pirates and not just a nation with a black flag.

But you are right the game really needs intresting pve content as well like it needs pvp content beside clan/rvr.

• Like 3

I believe this is a wonderful chance to turn nations into seperate clans. (I can't believe i am saying this)

Instead of having clans allow them to represent a nation from Europe. Not strictly a historical choice like the ones we have now. New ones could appear like Prussia,Courland,Poland-Lithuania,Venice,Ottomans,Greeks etc.

They will need at least a clan to represent them. Other clans will be able to join existing Nations. If neccesary limits will be placed on the amount of clans that can join an existing nation but i believe that most people will create their own nation.

It's a great chance to make the game popular again.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, GhastlyGhost said:

What will happend with nation that lost all towns ? Players will able to hide in free towns or will forced to join other nation / nation that capture last town ?

This as well come to my mind...operating from free towns maybe bring a lot of fun - kind of privateering gameplay. For those who moaning again about low population. Stop moaning and change your reviews to positive so maybe more peeps will join. Keep going devs and give us something new.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sunleader said:

What we need is to get away from this ever more PvP thing and start getting PvE Content to attract Players.

Clan vs Clan might numb the effect if low playerbase by allowing people to kill each other. But the actual problems would get even worse because Wars inside the Faction would lead to more frustration abd even more people leaving....

Clan vs Clan in the current Situation would be a blood letting.

Sure for the moment you feel better but the actual Situation gets even worse.

War has the habit that it cannot be sustained by War.

For War to be sustained you need safe space in the rear and peace times to recover.

Everything worked fine when we had Limited Conscription for PvP as every port had Safezones.

We went from that to Every Adult Serves and now that we have Run out of Cannon Fodder you want to Scrsoe the Barrel to Send even Children and Old Geezers into the Grinder?

You guys need to realize that further steps towards PvP will only result in the Games Death.

@Sunleader

You’ve clearly not read the Three Steps to Heaven or my poorly worded script as failed in trying to deliver this authors message. I’ll assume the later of course. I am one of the few players that have a long PvE history and then moved to PvP.

I actually do understand what PvE needs and wants are. EPIC Port Battle scenarios will allow for Good Quality Co-Op game play. The “Smuggler Tag” in my opinion really hurt the PvE server and have commented on it many times… and so on and so forth…

You must agree with the dual function the only form of PvP interaction on the PvE server? Do you remember it? It was one of my main training aids of PvE epic fleet battles. You also MUST understand not all people know what PvP actually is right?

http://forum.game-labs.net/topic/21509-“being-prepared…”-and-norfolk’s-hard-lesson/

READ: EdWatchmaker’s comment further down the thread. The key words are dipping the toe in the water. You see were this is going, right? Don’t put up barriers where there are not needed with wrong assumptions made from my poorly worded script.  

Think, why is the idea called STEPs instead of servers?

One leads into the other if the player wants to try it. Am sure most main line PvE players couldn’t comprehend Step:3 and that’s fine they don’t need too…

They do however need to apricate other people have different ideas, wants and needs within this wonderful universe or multi-verses…  

So, I’ll finish here by apologizing to you again. My main point is to appreciate other people’s points of view and try to understand them even if not agreeing and…

Come on  @admin I double dare you. Take the step, and let the Tester’s… Test

Norfolk nChance [ELITE]

Edited by Norfolk nChance

4 hours ago, admin said:

We want to run a final test on the capturability of capitals for those who want it a bit more hardcore.
The best way to do it wihout screwing up existing game play is to add new nations. New nations will not have a capital (thus will not have admiralty initially) and will have to capture and build one somewhere on the map. It will also not have a protection zone forcing new nations to protect their rookies. It will be a superhard more for unrestricted pvp and rvr fans. 

New nations will also split current large nations and will actually balance the game more. New nations will be very populated and will actively fight each other (and existing nations). 

Fix world travel times first. Like I said it before you are adding wrong content here, unless you plan to have 150 players per server. Good idea, but not the one that would bring life and action to NA. ex. for the 1st month Nation fans will split already existing nations to crumbs killing pvp even more. It still takes whole day to do reasonable sailing around the world, full day son!

Edited by George Washington

2 hours ago, z4ys said:

This game needs everyone hardcore-,  causal- and hardcore causal-  players, rvr, pvp and pve because its a niche game. If this new nations get implemented right they could attract the hardcore players again. Changing existing nations to capturable Capitals one is wrong. Look at pirates most pirates dont welcome drastically changes that would make them real pirates and not just a nation with a black flag.

But you are right the game really needs intresting pve content as well like it needs pvp content beside clan/rvr.

Well, there is quite a force building up in the Pirate Nation that tries to make the change themselves by fighting all the Carebear and PVE Clans, as they try to make the "Pirates" either become real PvP Pirates or quit to another Nation.

7 minutes ago, DesAnderes said:

Well, there is quite a force building up in the Pirate Nation that tries to make the change themselves by fighting all the Carebear and PVE Clans, as they try to make the "Pirates" either become real PvP Pirates or quit to another Nation.

Let's be realistic, 150 players online = 90% empty oceans. Game is dead right now with some Vets still doing Econ, Fleets and some PvP. This reply would mean more sense 1 year ago when population was still at around 1k, but not now. This is how many players potbs has right now (01/22/2008-9/30/2017)

Edited by George Washington

It is probably a joke to argue with historical arguments against the introduction of new nations like Prussia. You find it historically plausible when the great powers of the time give up their colonial empire and retreat to a few cities in the Caribbean, but Prussia can not come into the game because it was no sea power at the time?

I think it's a chance to inspire new or old players for the game by giving them the chance to drive for the nation they belong to in real life.

I believe it is no coincidence that Spain and France are played by players of Spanish and French descent.

Edited by Dominique Youx

8 minutes ago, George Washington said:

Let's be realistic, 150 players online = 90% empty oceans. Game is dead right now with some Vets still doing Econ, Fleets and some PvP. This reply would mean more sense 1 year ago when population was still at around 1k, but not now. This is how many players potbs has right now (01/22/2008-9/30/2017)

Well we had 500 player online during peak hours in the last few weeks, that's far more than we had 2 months ago. But if you do PvP outside a Captial... Well there is always enough to be killed. And you can't spawn reinforcements in an outlaw battle.
And if all the Pirate PVE and Carebears leave the "Pirate Nation" there are enough to populate a new small nation! :D

BTT:
I think it would be a nice idea to bring in a Trading/PVE Nation that can't interact with other Nations. The can only trade with the shop and their own Nation(to reduce abusing with alts), but can enter any port with any ship. This would also allow it to reunite the servers again! As 100% PVE Players would than have the option to be safe on the PVP server.

Personally I think the last patch did two important things returning the ability to earn gold in missions and making it official this really is a clan game I really do not think it's necessary to add more factions just like @Jeheil said add a button to the clan management tool so you can set a clan inside your own Nation as enemy.

If you're not in a clan you are choosing to play hard mode.

@admin what needs testing (after your UI update) is the Pirates as just another faction needs addressing better people than me have made really good suggestions for this, personally I would like them taken out of RvR and ships of the line (all of them) but give them a raid mechanic unavailable to the Nations this would provide content.

3 minutes ago, Custard said:

@admin what needs testing (after your UI update) is the Pirates as just another faction needs addressing better people than me have made really good suggestions for this, personally I would like them taken out of RvR and ships of the line (all of them) but give them a raid mechanic unavailable to the Nations this would provide content.

I like what you're telling here :)
Do you have a link to your suggestions?

Edited by DesAnderes

5 hours ago, admin said:

We want to run a final test on the capturability of capitals for those who want it a bit more hardcore.
The best way to do it wihout screwing up existing game play is to add new nations. New nations will not have a capital (thus will not have admiralty initially) and will have to capture and build one somewhere on the map. It will also not have a protection zone forcing new nations to protect their rookies. It will be a superhard more for unrestricted pvp and rvr fans. 

New nations will also split current large nations and will actually balance the game more. New nations will be very populated and will actively fight each other (and existing nations). 

How is this different from Clan wars? How does this correlate to the historical pretext? And why are we keeping the map (1/3 of the map is the empty atlantic).

1 hour ago, Borch said:

If you would try to implement independent clans choosing their flags and allies it would have more sense that what youre thinking about.

Gl with testing captrable capitols. Your hardcore players will either, join victorious side or start leaving game as soon as they loose their main city. Then, you will have your large nations back again.

Btw nations protecting their rookies? Come on, we already know how it works in reality.

Indeed, this is a very strange dual-solution of clans getting semi-independence, but now adding new nations on top of that for whichever reason.

The only reason I can see for anyone to go through the sheer effort of switching to one of the new nations is probably language (e.g. Germans wanting to play as Prussia).

And yeah, players having the means to provide rookie protection is just a sad joke, and sadder still is that instead of fixing what caused it we got concord instead. You can bet that the unprotected nations will be hunted for sport for that reason.

3 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

If you really want to achieve balance between nations, get the alliances work. Clan alliances will solve most of the unbalances between nations. A clan could get this way the guys to fill a PB, or a experienced PB comander, or the numbers to make a good screening/blockade fleet...

The alliance system we tried "failed" because we could get up to 3 allies (4 nations ended allied) and a voting round of 3 weeks. It was just so much allies and so much time, which lead to stagnation. Also the removal of this RvR system was proposed/encouraged by the pirates and lonely hunters inside nations, just to have more targets in the ow. If you bring back alliances but in the form of clan alliances, all kind of hunters will be pleased.

I agree with this. Alliances are needed.

I was against it, but changed my mind, since only 1-2 nations(even allied clans) can not gather significant numbers to fill a portbattle, and it happens often.

I like the idea , no more forced care bear alliances I didn't sign up for. True enough I wanted clan wars or war companies being able to fight each other but I can understand how toxic that would have made it inside a nation. People thinking we could have had clan wars inside a nation are kidding themselves, look how toxic people can get in global when they lose a ship. Imagine how bad it could get when they get booted out of Carta ?

No more councils deciding who we are allowed to attack and at what time. 

I like it

I have had some time to think, and I see one way that this experiment could work out well. If all the current nations, that have historical footholds in the Caribbean are taken out of RvR. They have their safe-zones for PvE and econ. They have territories that cannot be lost, and they have safe areas. This is enough support for them to do PvE and PvP as they like. RvR however, should be reserved for only the new nations. If  you want to do RvR, you need to forge papers from one of the current starting nations and join one of the new nations. The price of RvR is the risk of loosing all territory down to the capital, and no safe-zones. Players start out in one of the current nations and can only join the new nations after they started playing.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Vizzini said:

I like the idea , no more forced care bear alliances I didn't sign up for. True enough I wanted clan wars or war companies being able to fight each other but I can understand how toxic that would have made it inside a nation. People thinking we could have had clan wars inside a nation are kidding themselves, look how toxic people can get in global when they lose a ship. Imagine how bad it could get when they get booted out of Carta ?

No more councils deciding who we are allowed to attack and at what time. 

I like it

As far as I know no one can force you to NOT attack anyone. Regardless of the councils - just have the balls to do what you want.

1 minute ago, Anolytic said:

I have had some time to think, and I see one way that this experiment could work out well. If all the current nations, that have historical footholds in the Caribbean are taken out of RvR. They have their safe-zones for PvE and econ. They have territories that cannot be lost, and they have safe areas. This is enough support for them to do PvE and PvP as they like. RvR however, should be reserved for only the new nations. If  you want to do RvR, you need to forge papers from one of the current starting nations and join one of the new nations. The price of RvR is the risk of loosing all territory down to the capital, and no safe-zones. Players start out in one of the current nations and can only join the new nations after they started playing.

Remove the PvP from the equation and I could agree.. The "old" nations should have a small safezone, PvE and crafting/trading. But no RvR and no PvP untill they join some of the "new" nations. It doesn't however explain (since we go away from the historical pretext) why we keep the map then. The current map is hardly suited for any gameplay and the main reason for using it is the historical pretext.