Game-Labs Forum

Sad news from Europe: Sixth coalition is kaput

Since we're all guessing, I'll take a shot...

They (and many of us) would like to try Clan Wars but it would prove very troublesome to implement without killing new players and solo players. So, poof, we have more nations to choose from. Rivals within nations can split off without having to join a former enemy. It seems like this would be easier to code and test.

Now whether this would be a good idea, I don't know. 25 on 25 Port Battles will certainly be more rare.

Anyway, just a theory.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sunleader said:

Prussia would Suit me well.

Also Prussian Navy is not that wrong Historically.

They did operate in the Carribean.

With 2 Ships or what ....

But more Nations could help the game also you always only see the bad sides of it but at the moment Sweden/Danemark are so big and strong most nations cant really fight them in a useful way, so if we have more player there is the possibility that player change from them to the new nations making them smaller. Wich would result in more balanced nations even if they are mostly just 40 player :/ ... also portugal should have been in the game from the beginning!

25 minutes ago, Lonar said:

With 2 Ships or what ....

But more Nations could help the game also you always only see the bad sides of it but at the moment Sweden/Danemark are so big and strong most nations cant really fight them in a useful way, so if we have more player there is the possibility that player change from them to the new nations making them smaller. Wich would result in more balanced nations even if they are mostly just 40 player :/ ... also portugal should have been in the game from the beginning!

Well you can laugh. Most Nations we got did not really have many Ships in the Carribean. Assumably the British and Spanish Navies are the only ones really being there with 2 digit numbers of Warships of 5th or higher Rating.

But this is a Game.

We dont only Run Pirates with Cutters and Brigs ;)

Nor do we limit the British Navy to like 80-100 Warships they had in the Carribean.

And the British effectively had as much Navy as the entire remaining World combined :P

10 minutes ago, Sunleader said:

Well you can laugh. Most Nations we got did not really have many Ships in the Carribean. Assumably the British and Spanish Navies are the only ones really being there with 2 digit numbers of Warships of 5th or higher Rating.

But this is a Game.

We dont only Run Pirates with Cutters and Brigs ;)

Nor do we limit the British Navy to like 80-100 Warships they had in the Carribean.

And the British effectively had as much Navy as the entire remaining World combined :P

are you reading a history book? 

"" And the British effectively had as much Navy as the entire remaining World combined :P "" 

i believe you read a misleading history book if you ask me

14 hours ago, admin said:

Newsflash

During negotiations on the Sixth Coalition one of the archdukes was hit by a candelabra. The resulting melee between royalties has ruined the chances for peace in Europe. Mobilization started in several countries on the continent.

Fake news

It wasn't a candelabra

It was a popping champagne cork

French champagne

That changes everything

But I will say no more here

Wasn't the largest the Prussian navy got during the period only about 16 small ships under 20 guns in total? I remember their navy was completely wiped out after one battle with the Swedish too...

Even Frederik the Great said "I'd rather have the best army in Europe than try to build the worst navy" when he was advised to start to pour more funding towards protection on the Baltic rather than relying on strong naval allies like the Dutch or British.

It's also worth noting that they toyed with the idea of adding other nations like Poland a few months ago, even though by the time the USA existed Poland was a landlocked country....

Edited by Fluffy Fishy

24 minutes ago, Thonys said:

are you reading a history book? 

"" And the British effectively had as much Navy as the entire remaining World combined :P "" 

i believe you read a misleading history book if you ask me

It's not far wrong, the clue is effectively, the British advances to coppering and minimising maintenance times added onto the fact British ships tended to be a fair bit sturdier than other nations at the expense of agility and sailing quality. These various attributes meant that the Royal navy could operate a much larger fleet with lower numbers of actual ships as was apparent during the American Revolutin. It's also somewhat present during the Napoleonic era which gets reinforced by an act of parliament to maintain a navy at least as large as the two nearest rivals combined.

It wasn't always the case though, generally until coppering started to become more important it was usually the French who had naval superiority in Europe with Spain, Britain and The Netherlands mostly competing for second third and fourth place.

So not really the book isn't misleading it's just probably sketchy on the why. Don't read into raw ship numbers too much, sortie rate, number of guns in total and maintenance time all have very important affects on who had the largest effective navy. :)

47 minutes ago, George Washington said:

My sources tell me that Russians are on their way to Caribbean. 

release-the-kraken-gif-1.gif

How could they? Since the Danes and Swedes are easily blockading them in Baltic, and the Ottomans are closing the Bosporus. ;)

16 hours ago, Mrgoldstein said:

i guess the adding of more nations...prussians, rusia portuguese..? wayt to divide the even small playerbase even more..

lets not even talk about history if its correct or not

No prussians.. They had no colonies.. More likely the portuguese..

EDIT: And yes let's talk history!!

Edited by Guest

5 minutes ago, Otto Kohl said:

Better focus on long promised pirate mechanics.

Or simply remove them untill the mechanics are done.. No SoL and only up to 5th.. But the ability to hois any flag and be "recognized" by any player in OW..

18 hours ago, admin said:

Is this the end of the world as we know it? Or is it a beginning of the new empires? 

More like second i bet. Otherwise game will be shout down;)

57 minutes ago, Slim Jimmerson said:

Please don't be more nations. The last thing we need is more nations that no one plays

Look in future mate - devs have task to do aswell their ideas in mind to make this game suitable for more than 400 hardcore testers in future. That`s how i see it now.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bart Smith said:

More like second i bet. Otherwise game will be shout down;)

Look in future mate - devs have task to do aswell their ideas in mind to make this game suitable for more than 400 hardcore testers in future. That`s how i see it now.

Is more nations it though? Most games have 2, 3, maybe 4 factions. But 8+? How do you keep those obscure nations populated and not just be a waste of space? New players are going to flock to the big names like Britain, France, US, Pirates and Spain. On Global we already have to take great care to step over the small unpopulated nations or we kill off what little players are on them.

There are much more prolific developments to advance the game than adding even more nations to the mix. Basic features that'd you expect from any MMO are still lacking.

Just now, victor said:

Also Here?

Hey mate ... again? No, I mean ... again? Did I say ... again? So ... just to summarize ... again?

uhm ... let's see ....

image.jpeg.8aadc14ab29ea4820274f0eb5c16794b.jpeg

so we all complain about population going down, but you continue to be stubborn about a server merge. ok.......

anyway -- I don't honestly think it's more nations, it seems our hysteria stemmed from someone saying it in the first 5 replies and from there we have really made a bang up job in creating some wild assumptions. now....it doesn't help that the Admin literally gave us no info on what's happening but I'm going to reserve any judgment until we get some real information.

• Like 2