Game-Labs Forum

Seasonal Update: Treacherous Waters - Preliminary information

admin

This patch has to be the most tone deaf I have ever seen, and given I play games by EA and ActivisionBilz that's an actual accomplishment.  Not only did you not address any of the issues players have been requesting be addressed for awhile now, but you managed to change and or break things that were never a problem.  I don't know if the dev's code by mongoDB readout or if they actually play the game but this very much feels like the kind of patch I have seen in other projects I have worked on where the attitude becomes, we worked x amount of hours at x cost on this.. we're gonna deploy it broken or not.  Well congrats you deployed it.. and I know of at least 5-6 players who've quit already and myself I wont say I am quiting… but you can be sure I'll not be buying any more DLC and will be considering a shift to peace server, since I'll only be logging on to scratch to shoot a ship itch on occasion.

7 hours ago, Wraith said:

These changes don't deny you the opportunity. They just reward people that, I don't know, actually play a game instead of passively let it churn away in the background.  This is equivalent to anti-clicker code placed in other well known MMOs that discourages botting.

I think that's at the heart of a lot of the salt in this thread... basically people are bent out of shape because they can't passively sail their passenger missions around, collecting 1000s of doubs an hour across multiple alts, all while binge watching Lifetime shows with literally no risk. The horror of actually having to go out and participate in some PvE/PvP to attain doubs... Or the horror of having to risk some money to make money to instead buy those doubs from players who are risking the ships to PvE/PvP, etc. who are then buying the ships from the crafters who are buying the doubs, or doing the econ missions to support the crafting! 

IT"S MADNESS!!1! ;) 

Seriously: This is a multiplayer, sandbox game. If you're solo, I feel for you but adjust your expectations accordingly. If you're a PvPer, then get used to having to rely on PvE'ers to provide some things for you that you'll have to pay for (doubloons), e.g. in exchange for the things that you can provide more easily to them (combat medals). And if you're a crafter, then get used to making some reals doing real, trade-good based econ, so you can pay the PvE/PvP'ers for those marks and medals.

This is the foundation of a more sane economy.

Coming from the nation that runs 15 indainmen multibox fleets the hypocrisy is staggering...

Just now, Angus MacDuff said:

OW speed....

But they didn't not really, they put in a Mario kart esque power up that you run over if you see it... IF someone else doesn't first... otherwise its business as usual... you act like your doing those speeds all the time now... lets get real.

58 minutes ago, admin said:

This features exactly because we sailed an actual yacht seeing this in effect, 

there's a subtle difference: the gush propels you in the direction of the stream. it doesn't give you 85% more wind in every direction. that's a completely different thing so, no, reality doesn't work like that at all. 🤔 

this is just a 'booster spawn' and can give a pursuer a huge advantage. hunting and ganking will tend to happen around boost spawns, and camping is to be somewhat expected, right? well, not saying it can't be a lot of fun but it definitely is not a good sailing representation, in my humblest opinion. 

Edited by znôrt
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, admin said:

No.. They work exactly this way
In fact two yachts sailing at parallel course 500m away from each other - one сould have a benefit of the gust (small wind spot) and another wont - too far away.
Ask any cup sailor.
This features exactly because we sailed an actual yacht seeing this in effect, other things were moved in the roadmap to get it in. Other changes are also planned.

The problem I see is a problem of scale... you're talking about a super local and short term occurrence and apply it to a longer distance.

It well knows that modern sailing ships while racing take advantage of any wind. But applying that to the game is like... let me find an analogy.... putting a turbo engine on the brothers Wright plane.

Edited by Tortue Agile
spelling

1 hour ago, admin said:

We also do not plan to disengage when players come to sight. If you are faster other players cant slow you. Whats next? Magical debuffs like in wow, "turn into sheep for 1 min"

I'm worried that this makes it too easy to pounce on players who don't have the boost.  A player accepts a certain level of risk when he goes out in the world, but this may be driving the risk too high.  Don't get me wrong...I like the boost and I'm busy formulating plans.  But the first time an Indiaman goes flying past my Herc...I shall call down curses upon your house!

1 hour ago, Obi-Heed Kenobi said:

Another way to address this would be to have the speed bonus disengage automatically whenever another player comes into sight. I think that would fairly address the concerns everyone has expressed.

Or - as a compromise - have a perk that deboosts any enemy ship within range.   Would be useful both for the hunters and the hunted, would make it a trade-off players would have to weigh against their other priorities, and wouldn't interfere with the stated goal of getting people to actively sail through the open world faster.

1 hour ago, Gregory Rainsborough said:

I seem to be the one that actually enjoys the faster travel times and finding people quicker. Shock, horror, Naval Action has more action.

Tried it for first time tonight,did two long sails and a raid and it cut it all down by half,as long as it can't be exploited it'a great for ow sailing i would even consider no tagging whilst using though you would have to drop out or something then a cooldown so its just for travel,but i like it for ow sailing.

8 hours ago, Archaos said:

They should remove the ability to tag while under the effect of speed boost. Introduce a way so you can remove your speed boost before tagging so you are at normal OW speed for your ship before you can tag.

I like your idea. But believe that the speed boost should not just be able to be disengaged at will. It should be an uncontrollable ride that prevents any control that leads to exploitation. You ride it for as long as the game said you had to. 

You stop and wait for it to subside and expire before attacking. Just like leaving port an attack cool down would probably fix any possibility of exploitation.

p.s. I have not checked but can anybody confirm gusts appear for everybody in the same places?

• Like 2

This is a 'sandbox' MMO game. Here's how it was described in 2016;

Naval Action is an exciting, realistic, and beautifully detailed naval combat sandbox immersing players into the experience of the most beautiful period of naval history - when sailing ships ruled the seas.

what is this "who cares about solo players" attitude I see above? A sandbox game is supposed to let players craft their own play-style & experiences for their own enjoyment.

I have belonged to a clan. I have fought solo. I like aspects of both. I dislike some aspects of both. But I never had the 'attitude' of "Screw those players! It's my way or the highway."

IMO the game has drifted FAR from being "realistic...immersing players into the experience...when sailing ships ruled the seas."

Back then, there were nations, fleets (both national & pirate), but also single frigate actions, single merchant ships, and single pirates. 

It should be a both/and, not an either/or.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Wraith said:

What hypocrisy?  The new changes in fact directly hurt the players among us that run massive alt fleets the most since it makes sailing AFK and those relying solely on riskless passenger/cargo missions that much less efficient at amassing ludicrously large amounts of wealth.

Now, you might argue that ship has already sailed and those of us rolling in Scrooge McDuck-style oceans of doubloons and reals are basically un-catchable by new and casual players, but at least you can still be competitive amongst the non 1% crowd, right?

no actually it benefits you most since the massive nations are the only ones who will be able to run trade goods with any reliability since you can sail across the map and still dock in a friendly port... US, Pirates, Swedes, etc are going to be hard pressed to succeed as they will be ganked within moments of leaving port and even supposing they aren't, any possible target destination will invariably be hostile.

Feedback about Loki Rune

As fun as it seem and a good idea I find this is just a tool for trolling.
While it was a fun joke to take control of AI and just sail away from the player leaving him in "WTF is going on" state, but I think it's actually a trolling.
Player spends his time to find AI, fights him for half hour and then some player gets control and sails away wasting his time.

Can there be some mechanic that does not allow players to avoid combat when take control of an AI?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, koltes said:

Feedback about Loki Rune

As fun as it seem and a good idea I find this is just a tool for trolling.
While it was a fun joke to take control of AI and just sail away from the player leaving him in "WTF is going on" state, but I think it's actually a trolling.

If he kills you he gets xp, doubloons and credit for pvp hunt.  Its a win win.
Its a best pvp patch. 

(If ai runs he should chain - good practice)

1 minute ago, admin said:

If he kills you he gets xp, doubloons and credit for pvp hunt.  Its a win win.
Its a best pvp patch. 

(If ai runs he should chain - good practice)

WOAH! Hold up. He should not get PvP points when I got thrown into an already sinking AI. You might want to reconsider how the coding searches for battles. Now, do the Loki players get PvP kills, dbls and credits, too?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, van der Clam said:

WOAH! Hold up. He should not get PvP points when I got thrown into an already sinking AI. You might want to reconsider how the coding searches for battles. Now, do the Loki players get PvP kills, dbls and credits, too?

that's the dice your roll when using the loki rune.

Personally, it's absolutely fine, you enter a battle that the player never expected an enemy player.

If you act like AI until a very important part of the battle you can actually really hello kitty up the player and get the kill yourself.

Well... we just lost the entire clan in pirate nation.
I'm in contact with most clan leaders in pirates.
Very active clan who was constantly recruiting players.
They have very large US based gaming community with lots of potential to intro more players to NA.
And  now they are gone...

5 minutes ago, Teutonic said:

that's the dice your roll when using the loki rune.

Personally, it's absolutely fine, you enter a battle that the player never expected an enemy player.

If you act like AI until a very important part of the battle you can actually really hello kitty up the player and get the kill yourself.

One of our guys boarded some one right when they where expecting him to sink and loot.  He also found out that the forts/towers shoot at you as if your a player.  So watch out for that if they start shooting at an AI.....that is not an AI...lol.

how much of a change would it be if the Developers actually worked on content that brought new players into the game, rather than restrict the players that are already here, and lets go a step further for arguments sake, how hard would it be to get content that makes new players "want " to stay in the game, this should be one of the highest goals, and Seriously, I don"t think its anywhere on the future road map, 

Keep making the game harder for new players, take our material ability to make new ships if we sink them, just keep doing that, and watch the player base continue to shrink, 

you wanna know what makes a game fun, the ability to craft our own ships, the ability to go out and sink or swim, Jobs where we can acquire wealth, and spend that wealth on things to make our lives better in game, 

but, no.  Lets make the game wealth harder to get, lets make ships harder to craft, why? because a 1% of the player base wants this, and is afraid others will be able to gather this elusive wealth that they already have, heavens no, make the game harder, like i said, bringing new ppl into the game isn't even being thought about, nowhere on the future road map, and not anywhere in the developers plans

• Like 3

1 hour ago, koltes said:

Well... we just lost the entire clan in pirate nation.
I'm in contact with most clan leaders in pirates.
Very active clan who was constantly recruiting players.
They have very large US based gaming community with lots of potential to intro more players to NA.
And  now they are gone...

Maybe a good time to change pirate mechanics and make them pirates rather than a nation?

Hope those US players join he US faction.

• Like 2

@admin the wind gust seems nice addition to the game BUT, when under effect of wind gust, changing direction should cause you to lose the gust ! This way it will help the general complaint about this feature.

So, when you use wind gust, you have a timer 15 seconds ? to adjust a heading, after the timer if you change direction more than 15 ? degrees you will lose the gust.

• Like 4

@admin 

I do not like the way your wind gusts work, but I do not reject wind gusts in generell. They should not be activated by clicking, they should be a zone on the ocean, maybe indicated by clouds and/or a different looking surface of the waves. A ship in this zones can move faster, leaving this zone sets back the speed to normal. 

I cannot imagine that you clicked on your yachting trip any wind gust.

And wind gusts should be moving across the ocean. So you can stay in them for some time, when on the same course, if you sail a different direction it is a limited experience. 

So, please remove the choice to click a wind gust, it is there when you are in.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Sea Archer said:

A ship in this zones can move faster, leaving this zone sets back the speed to normal. 

So changing heading more than just a small amount, should cause you lose the gust. Seems basic, prevents tagging problems.

• Like 1