Game-Labs Forum

What is your favorite frigate? (5th rates)

HMS Cerberus, 26 guns, because small is beautiful. My favorite ship.

HMS Surprise because she's a killer.

La Renommée because of her looks.

(subliminal message : light frigates... light frigates... light frigates... light frigates... light frigates... light frigates... light frigates... light frigates...) :)

Edited by LeBoiteux
  • Like 1

Regular frigate and pirate frigate. Handled properly nothing can touch them in small actions for combat ability and maneuverability. The Constitution is also an awesome frigate. The game classes her as a 4th but in reality she was a 5th. Probably one of the heaviest 5ths out there and that's how i use her.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2017 at 3:20 AM, Malachy said:

Regular frigate and pirate frigate. Handled properly nothing can touch them in small actions for combat ability and maneuverability. The Constitution is also an awesome frigate. The game classes her as a 4th but in reality she was a 5th. Probably one of the heaviest 5ths out there and that's how i use her.

The Constitution was rated as a 4th rate.  The crew compliment is what caused this rating.  It had more than 400men thus was a 4th rate by common naval standards of the time.   While it was built like a 5th rate, single gun deck and a weather deck, it had the crew of a 4th rate.  

It was listed as a frigate by the US navy. And didn't carry enough guns to be a 4th rate. 4ths usually have 60 plus guns, third 70 plus etc etc. it depends on whose standards you go by. Even the British considered the Connie a super frigate. They razeed several 4th rates to try to duplicate the idea. Pretty much only the northmen and ruskies rated ships by crew count. Honestly, by the end of the napoleonic wars only the British and us navy mattered, and now only the us navy lol.

Edited by Malachy

10 hours ago, Malachy said:

It was listed as a frigate by the US navy. And didn't carry enough guns to be a 4th rate. 4ths usually have 60 plus guns, third 70 plus etc etc. it depends on whose standards you go by. Even the British considered the Connie a super frigate. They razeed several 4th rates to try to duplicate the idea. Pretty much only the northmen and ruskies rated ships by crew count. Honestly, by the end of the napoleonic wars only the British and us navy mattered, and now only the us navy lol.

The number of guns wasnt the complete rating system.  It was number of dedicated gun decks + crew + gun total weight.   Was the factor for Royal Navy rating sytem.

The USS Constitution, was a frigate by design but a 4th rate by class. 

7 hours ago, Hodo said:

The number of guns wasnt the complete rating system.  It was number of dedicated gun decks + crew + gun total weight.   Was the factor for Royal Navy rating sytem.

The USS Constitution, was a frigate by design but a 4th rate by class. 

Neither the brits or the us considered her a 4th. Those were the only two navies that mattered at the time. The only people who consider her a 4th is game labs and they admitted they did it for balance reasons.

Edited by Malachy

I'm with Liquicity on this one. Santa Cecilia is definitely my all time favorite in Naval Action. 

Before Santa Cecilia my all time favorite was Trinc. 

For me it's about looks, character and combat prowess. 
The Trinc has those smooth curves and looks very streamlined. I dig the black/white but the Trinc with Sangree paintjob is just amazing; (Pic for reference at end of comment).
Furthermore the Trinc has character. The 4 Bow Chasers, lack of stern chasers, her extreme heel and punishing sailing profile. She is tough to master, compared to most other ships in NA, she requires a tough and disciplined captain to tame. Once tamed she is a real beast though. 

The Santa Cecilia is a whole different kind of beast. She is the gentlest of ships, the sailing profile and maneuvrability is so forgiving that i dare say even a child could sail her efficiently. 
Not only that but she has a more balanced distribution of chasers (2 Bow, 2 Stern) making escaping opponents much easier. 
She looks terrifying though, sexy but terrifying. Smooth curves, lovely paint-job and stunning sail plan. 
You easily forget that she is just a 12 pound frigate once you face her in combat. 

Honorable mentions;
Belle Poule - Beautiful ship, feels nothing interesting besides her looks though. Disappointing experience all around. (Sure, she is a tough nut to crack and it could/can be abused when using Carronades. However that is easily countered by demasting/chaining. 
Pirate Frigate - I hate her looks, but man she packs a punch. Her sail plan is great and she is much more forgiving than other 18pound frigates in my experience. 
Surprise - I dislike her looks as well, i find her armament disappointing and the ship too frail. Most probably i just find her to be a slightly too small ship for my liking. That said she is, when sailed by the right captains, a fearsome enemy. Many a famous captain have become famous for their accomplishments in the Surprise. 

(Just looking at the 5th rates here).

Picture of Trincomalee, Sangree Paintjob.
KREydeE.jpg

Edited by TommyShelby
  • Like 3