Game-Labs Forum

Starting Ships after wipe...

What's the unlocking sequence? It's probably best if the low level ship is one players want to sail for XP anyway.

I'm inclined to say forget about the trader - unless it's an LGV. We'll have nothing to haul to start with and small traders (except TCutters unless they have now been fixed) are cheap enough from shops.

• Like 1

What do we even need ships for? I vote no ships; just give the equivalent money and folks can buy what ships they want off of the NPC seller. Giving out player craft only ships is detrimental to your changes anyway.

1 hour ago, Remus said:

What's the unlocking sequence? It's probably best if the low level ship is one players want to sail for XP anyway.

I'm inclined to say forget about the trader - unless it's an LGV. We'll have nothing to haul to start with and small traders (except TCutters unless they have now been fixed) are cheap enough from shops.

I think if they don't give a Trader from start they will all be sold out instantly in the shops for the first weeks, and people will be complaining. After all we'll probably be doing allot more trade runs etc.

For low level ships I personaly still believe the most profitable is using a basic cutter till you can crew a snow/merc. Its cheapest and realy good compared to other 7th rates.

5 hours ago, admin said:

4 ships 
lets decide right here

we are thinking, privateer, suprise, indefatigable and a trader snow. 

Good. Make your decision and stick to it. Do not let the ones who want a different set of ships confuse you.

1 hour ago, Davos Seasworth said:

Trader brig carries more 

Trader Snow is better all round ship: better armed; seems to sail faster and is more maneuverable. If I'm going to be chased I want something quick. The Brig is a tank by comparison and sails like one imo.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Challenge said:

Trader Snow is better all round ship: better armed; seems to sail faster and is more maneuverable. If I'm going to be chased I want something quick. The Brig is a tank by comparison and sails like one imo.

If you are arming your trade ships then you are slowing them down and taking up cargo space. Also the Brig is faster.

Edited by Davos Seasworth
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, admin said:

4 ships 
lets decide right here

we are thinking, privateer, suprise, indefatigable and a trader snow. 

fine with me (maybe Tbrig intstead of Tsnow since it has a better load)

41 minutes ago, Davos Seasworth said:

If you are arming your trade ships then you are slowing them down and taking up cargo space. Also the Brig is faster.

Your right on the speed for according to the chart -- I was thinking of the regular Snow.

The build I made using the old crafting system made it much faster. Still adjusting.

5 minutes ago, jnovotny6 said:

I thought we are all getting that new light frigate  (Pandora?)

Pandora will be given at game release only, not during EA.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Remus said:

I was actually thinking about this.   Maybe make sure the ships are in line with one of the paths you want to go on if you want to work on those ships.  Even better how about this.   Devs give us a redeemable of the mats to make those ships along with the mats to get a level 1 shipyard.  That way if we want to have one ship or another we can make that one or we can just skip it.  Than the folks that have no plan to make ships don't have to make a shipyard and if they want to use only a basic cutter they can.  Remember folks you don't have to redeem your redeemables after all.  You can play from scratch or you can redeem them and be where you where level and rank and than with a small fleet to start with.   I think the Trader Snow is a good start for a trader so not every one is in the biggest ship doing big trade runs from the start.  Makes us work up a bit,  Though if they go to small with the ships a lot of folks will be pissed being maxed level and in shallow only ships so needs a good mix.

13 hours ago, Ned Low said:

Give us Frigate instead of Indefatigable.  indefatigable is a slow turning log and is not good for solo pvp. Frigate on the other hand is more fun. 

The Surprise is for solo player the Indefatigable is for tanky grind prob in a group play and gives us one permitted ship off the bat.

13 hours ago, Davos Seasworth said:

Trader brig carries more 

I think the point is we aren't suppose to have the biggest and best at first of they would give us an LVG.   You can always upgrade by crafting a Trader Brig or if you can find one for sale in shop.  The point is to give us a little trader to start with.

13 hours ago, The Spud said:

I think if they don't give a Trader from start they will all be sold out instantly in the shops for the first weeks, and people will be complaining. After all we'll probably be doing allot more trade runs etc.

For low level ships I personaly still believe the most profitable is using a basic cutter till you can crew a snow/merc. Its cheapest and realy good compared to other 7th rates.

But you are forgetting and why it shouldn't be all shallow ships.  

MOST OF US AREN'T NEWBIES AND AREN'T GOING TO WANT TO BE STUCK IN A BASIC CUTTER.  

Edited by Sir Texas Sir

I like @admin list, smaller ships of different types, except I am not sure the Indy fits that list as a starter redeemable, but the cost of the cannons will force a delay in her use anyway!

Personally I would prefer the TBrig over the Snow. An LGV is a bit much for a starter redeemable and is almost 2 ships a trader and warship!  I know everyone wants a Rattlesnake but that's like getting the top of the line for shallow ships free!