Game-Labs Forum

Forthcoming patch information

admin

11 minutes ago, Cetric de Cornusiac said:

Now compare this to that whining about premium ships being "obsolete" because owner knows there is (s) wood now, or a new wood sort coming, or a port bonus possible which is better by one tier...

Equipment fetishism.

One on one fights between similarly skilled captains VERY frequently come down to small differences. I’ve lost very close duels due to having slightly slower reload, a little less pen, and 5 percent less repair. I sank Moscalb redoutable vs redoutable and that fight all came down to the fact that I had crew 4 and he didn’t, so I sank slightly after he did. The number of fights I’ve won that came down simply to having stronger masts and more penetration are enough to cement this disparity for me. But the biggest factors in any fight are speed, thickness of hull, and HP. Compare t/w bellona vs Ts/Ws and let me tell you, you FEEL the difference in thickness. 

Edited by John Cavanaugh
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, John Cavanaugh said:

One on one fights between similarly skilled captains VERY frequently come down to small differences. I’ve lost very close duels due to having slightly slower reload, a little less pen, and 5 percent less repair. I sank Moscalb redoutable vs redoutable and that fight all came down to the fact that I had crew 4 and he didn’t, so I sank slightly after he did. The number of fights I’ve won that came down simply to having stronger masts and more penetration are enough to cement this disparity for me. But the biggest factors in any fight are speed, thickness of hull, and HP. Compare t/w bellona vs Ts/Ws and let me tell you, you FEEL the difference in thickness. 

How often do those fights happen? Between two veteran warriors in same elite equipment where one notch difference is deciding about life or death?

Let's say it is not the standard situation. The standard situation is you or Moscalb sealclubbing people in inferior ships. There it does not matter if your wood is (s) or new or what port bonus of yours is higher.

Back to your elite duels: if the balance is so tenuous that one port bonus being 1 tier higher than your opponent proves to be decisive, the duel may as well be decided by one or two mistakes in maneuvers done by either side.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Conte D. Catellani said:

may i ask you  please to explain how that flag system worked? I just know that hostility system that we are using

-You paid for a flag for a targetted port (XX)  from one of your ports (or freetown maybe),

- targetted nation then had a notification

-you then had some time to plant it (~1h) by sailing with the flag in hold to the targetted port

-if achieved, a battle was set with maybe around 20-30 mn for each side to fill the battle

Lot of stuff were very different then, there was martello towers in middle of open sea as objectives, no land in battle instances. But we then had tons of pvp, small ship scouting & interceptions

counterpart was multiflips, fake flags, exhaustion, alts filling the pb, PB fleets hidden in port waiting instead of fighting = multiflip & fake/noshow pb are still a thing, exhaustion too it seems with Havoc taking a pause, clan friends list prevent alts griefing, PB fleets would go & fight or do something else if those were only to raise hostility, & if the port battle to control the town was an instanced fight without screening the day after.

Please add "Get rid of clan friends lists" to this patch and things will improve vastly.

Friends lists are just a way to snub rival clans in your nation at the least; a way for a giant nation armed with a threat to subvert a rival nation by manipulating a puppet clan at the worst.

It has to go. Port bonuses should either be for all in a nation or for none.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Cetric de Cornusiac said:

How often do those fights happen? Between two veteran warriors in same elite equipment where one notch difference is deciding about life or death?

I've lost 3 ships in the last month. 1 to Sekiro, 1 to Maculosa, 1 to a 4v1 gank, out of about 20 battles and somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 hours gametime over that month. Not as active as I have been. Of those 20 or so fights, I'd say that about half were good fights, and maybe 5 were close.

Let's say it is not the standard situation. The standard situation is you or Moscalb sealclubbing people in inferior ships. There it does not matter if your wood is (s) or new or what port bonus of yours is higher.

If you can post a screencap of me sinking a trader brig or a cerb, or any other such noob ship while sailing under the name Bought DLC Am I Good Yet, Hung Wei Lo, Victim of Circumstance, Vagrant, No Fixed Abode, Honouroboru SoloPlus PVP, or Demented But Determined, I will give you 500 CMs. Firstly you make the false assumption that anyone going out looking for PvP does so in a superior ship, when anyone can tell you that in the vast majority of cases an open world hunting ship is chosen with speed first and actual fighting stats second. If by superior you mean 1-2 kn faster, Certainly. On any other metric, you are likely to come away a bit miffed. Secondly you make the assumption that anyone being attacked in the open world is sailing an inferior ship. There are plenty of players who sail AI capped ships, I am sure. I'll admit that my sampling may be a bit biased since I dont hunt dutch and british waters much, but I've encountered relatively few such cases. Cedar/Cedar, Cedar/Teak, or Teak/Teak speed build vs teak/teak, teak/white ship with a crappy repair mod and british gunners. assuming all else is equal who has the edge here?

Back to your elite duels: if the balance is so tenuous that one port bonus being 1 tier higher than your opponent proves to be decisive, the duel may as well be decided by one or two mistakes in maneuvers done by either side.

Yes. And it is. The thing is that the statistics of ships give lee way and wiggle room. Suppose that I have a Christian and somebody else has a christian. Mine is 5/5 and I have Mast Bands and elite french. I can maneuver in such a way that I present stationary or relatively stationary targets of my masts at even very close range without worrying about them being cut as a result. Suppose that I have seasoned woods and my opponent does not, resulting in me being 15-20 centimeters thicker. This means that I can bounce his shots on a less harsh angle, and therefore mistakes I make in maneuvering may be entirely forgiven by my stats. Speed and acceleration are another problem, if I can, with a very high speed ship, stop myself very neatly, fire, and accelerate into a turn before you can take advantage of my position, I can give fire without taking it at any great risk. The longer a fight goes on the more those little differences add up. If that 2% difference in repairs between Crew 3 and Crew 4 gets 2, 3, even 4 different repair cycles to add up, that can be hundreds of HP difference. At the 45 minute mark, Crew 4 vs Crew 0 can mean the difference between having enough HP left in your sides, enough breathing room to repair Sail instead, and a little bit of speed, coming through a tack in 10 seconds vs 30, can mean the difference between win or lose all by itself.
Best I can do to prove the point is Pic Related. I had the gear advantage. French vs no mast mods (1 extra hit to cut my masts vs his). Marines and muskets vs Bo5R. I made 3 mistakes, Dron made 0, and the fight last 8 minutes. An obvious skill gap. One player who is competent, another whose name I imagine you recognize even from the PvE server. And yet If my Wasa had been LoS/WoS, with heavy rig and navy mast bands, I could have played every step exactly the same, made all the same mistakes, and won. That is why people give a damn about 5%. #MicDrop

BB8D16537B2B0F9C49F9AAC9C575B82E43E23FCE

6 hours ago, Baptiste Gallouédec said:

-You paid for a flag for a targetted port (XX)  from one of your ports (or freetown maybe),

- targetted nation then had a notification

-you then had some time to plant it (~1h) by sailing with the flag in hold to the targetted port

-if achieved, a battle was set with maybe around 20-30 mn for each side to fill the battle

Lot of stuff were very different then, there was martello towers in middle of open sea as objectives, no land in battle instances. But we then had tons of pvp, small ship scouting & interceptions

counterpart was multiflips, fake flags, exhaustion, alts filling the pb, PB fleets hidden in port waiting instead of fighting = multiflip & fake/noshow pb are still a thing, exhaustion too it seems with Havoc taking a pause, clan friends list prevent alts griefing, PB fleets would go & fight or do something else if those were only to raise hostility, & if the port battle to control the town was an instanced fight without screening the day after.

many thanks

2 hours ago, John Cavanaugh said:

IYes. And it is. The thing is that the statistics of ships give lee way and wiggle room. Suppose that I have a Christian and somebody else has a christian. Mine is 5/5 and I have Mast Bands and elite french. I can maneuver in such a way that I present stationary or relatively stationary targets of my masts at even very close range without worrying about them being cut as a result. Suppose that I have seasoned woods and my opponent does not, resulting in me being 15-20 centimeters thicker. This means that I can bounce his shots on a less harsh angle, and therefore mistakes I make in maneuvering may be entirely forgiven by my stats. Speed and acceleration are another problem, if I can, with a very high speed ship, stop myself very neatly, fire, and accelerate into a turn before you can take advantage of my position, I can give fire without taking it at any great risk. The longer a fight goes on the more those little differences add up. If that 2% difference in repairs between Crew 3 and Crew 4 gets 2, 3, even 4 different repair cycles to add up, that can be hundreds of HP difference. At the 45 minute mark, Crew 4 vs Crew 0 can mean the difference between having enough HP left in your sides, enough breathing room to repair Sail instead, and a little bit of speed, coming through a tack in 10 seconds vs 30, can mean the difference between win or lose all by itself.
Best I can do to prove the point is Pic Related. I had the gear advantage. French vs no mast mods (1 extra hit to cut my masts vs his). Marines and muskets vs Bo5R. I made 3 mistakes, Dron made 0, and the fight last 8 minutes. An obvious skill gap. One player who is competent, another whose name I imagine you recognize even from the PvE server. And yet If my Wasa had been LoS/WoS, with heavy rig and navy mast bands, I could have played every step exactly the same, made all the same mistakes, and won. That is why people give a damn about 5%. #MicDrop

Very good point, Sir. Skill decides a lot, but make no mistake this game is becoming increasingly gear driven since the gap in stats between a regular and fully equipped ships was gradually increasing. W/o skill you cannot win. W/o gear you cannot afford any mistake. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, rediii said:

The game relies too much on skill and gear tbh. Most engagements are clear before the battle even started because 95% of players dont understand mechanics

A small community and a heavily skillbased game dont go well with eachother in my oppinion. Might be because its in the past but I enjoyed battles more with 1 rep system. The battles of the past were less arcade like they feel now. (3D printer mods and a ship sinking after a few broadsides)

I hope NA 2 will have morale and better boarding and in general be less arcade but oh well. :)

Repairs, sailing model, fluff mods that serve only to confuse new players, sailing model, HP values and damage potential in shallow/frigate fights, sailing model, all of these things have gone off the deep end in the last couple of years.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rediii said:

The game relies too much on skill and gear tbh. Most engagements are clear before the battle even started because 95% of players dont understand mechanics

A small community and a heavily skillbased game dont go well with eachother in my oppinion. Might be because its in the past but I enjoyed battles more with 1 rep system. The battles of the past were less arcade like they feel now. (3D printer mods and a ship sinking after a few broadsides)

I hope NA 2 will have morale and better boarding and in general be less arcade but oh well. :)

We discussed this too a couple of days ago, but we all agreed that the Game was much more skillbased in the past ... the days when you could kill 5 Times your BR without Problems are gone with the "new" damage Modell ...

Numbers never counted more than now imho ...

Edited by Earl of Grey

1 hour ago, rediii said:

You are correct. This game in my opinion has always been skewed towards a handful of elite players to enable them to slaughter entire fleets of lesser players, utterly ridiculous repair rates so ships go from from very low health to near full. The only thing that offered a a level playing field was chain, so of course  to help the elites they limited the chain and kept unlimited repairs, i mean it wouldnt be naval action if people like reverse could be killed by a fleet of noobs. . No he has to be able t fix sails while running from the revenge fleet. For elites there is of course the demasting meta and the ability to take off peoples mast with a single broadside

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Fletch said:

so of course  to help the elites they limited the chain

The devs did it to help You. Because you would continue to fire chain at ships with 45% sails. Our lord and savior Admin saw a way to enlighten you to the wonders of actually firing ball at enemy ships' hulls in an effort to sink them.

qQ86aL0.jpg

• Like 2

Removing the screening is a very good idea !!!
So port battles in the future will be an event for a small group of high end players and all other normal ones without top 1st rates could watch the show on youtube.

Gone the fleets of 100 ships in which all payers could feel that they are a part of the defending or attacking nation even in a smalller ship and with smaller skills.

Obviously the devs are not interested to bind such normal players for long. Occasionally players who had already bought the game and will not buy  the DLCs have no further value for the publisher.  The question is, will the wolves be hungry if all the sheep are gone ?

Most of the features of the last year have only one purpose, to preserve the position of the top clans and the top players.
The development team must be members of this exclusive community, which will be glad that this annoying screening, where even newbies could disturb the way of the naval gods to their holy port battle, is removed.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Schwabbel said:

Removing the screening is a very good idea !!!
So port battles in the future will be an event for a small group of high end players and all other normal ones without top 1st rates could watch the show on youtube.

Gone the fleets of 100 ships in which all payers could feel that they are a part of the defending or attacking nation even in a smalller ship and with smaller skills.

Obviously the devs are not interested to bind such normal players for long. Occasionally players who had already bought the game and will not buy  the DLCs have no further value for the publisher.  The question is, will the wolves be hungry if all the sheep are gone ?

Most of the features of the last year have only one purpose, to preserve the position of the top clans and the top players.
The development team must be members of this exclusive community, which will be glad that this annoying screening, where even newbies could disturb the way of the naval gods to their holy port battle, is removed.

You absolutely hit the nail on the head ! Perfect strike... +1.000

And one more thing:

PBs were announced days before and everyone who didnt made it in the PB fleet could try to use some freetime and being online when the big event happened and help his nation with screening or counter-screening! It was plannable

Now, only people being online 24/7 can take part in RVR (without being one the choosen few PB veterans) with watching the map all the time whether at any point there will be hostility raising to counter it immediately...

And the devs tries to tell us it would be the same, having a fix event which you know long time before...and on the other hand, a hostility which can be raised anywhere and anytime... 

Edited by Sir Max Magic
  • Like 1

On 4/10/2020 at 2:50 AM, admin said:

Naval Bases (tentative). Map control points generating area home defense fleets for the owners. 

• not all ports - we will use historical large bases for this feature. 

looking forward to Naval Bases  and the New Woods

should be interesting

Edited by Henry d'Esterre Darby
Removed unnecessary spammy image.

12 hours ago, DDZ_Vasduten said:

Please add "Get rid of clan friends lists" to this patch and things will improve vastly.

Friends lists are just a way to snub rival clans in your nation at the least; a way for a giant nation armed with a threat to subvert a rival nation by manipulating a puppet clan at the worst.

It has to go. Port bonuses should either be for all in a nation or for none.

Oh give it a rest, already.

• Like 3

On 4/10/2020 at 3:02 PM, admin said:

the difference is that you open ship expertise by fighting in a ship and somewhat risky which is deep, beautiful and interesting. If you make mistakes you will sink. 

You cant screw up making 10 logs or 100 logs. 

Why do we have to grind crafting levels then? I don't know how many ships, 5th rates in the main, since there were no doubloons needed, I have crafted to reach the maximum crafting level, although I had no use for them. Just for levelling up.

5 hours ago, Sir Max Magic said:

You absolutely hit the nail on the head ! Perfect strike... +1.000

And one more thing:

PBs were announced days before and everyone who didnt made it in the PB fleet could try to use some freetime and being online when the big event happened and help his nation with screening or counter-screening! It was plannable

Now, only people being online 24/7 can take part in RVR (without being one the choosen few PB veterans) with watching the map all the time whether at any point there will be hostility raising to counter it immediately...

And the devs tries to tell us it would be the same, having a fix event which you know long time before...and on the other hand, a hostility which can be raised anywhere and anytime... 

If the hostility has to be done over several days, the defence can be planned similar to a PB. (can only be done in the timer window?)

Still I think, these long hostility missions favour the larger nations more than the small ones.

9 hours ago, Fletch said:

You are correct. This game in my opinion has always been skewed towards a handful of elite players to enable them to slaughter entire fleets of lesser players, utterly ridiculous repair rates so ships go from from very low health to near full. The only thing that offered a a level playing field was chain, so of course  to help the elites they limited the chain and kept unlimited repairs, i mean it wouldnt be naval action if people like reverse could be killed by a fleet of noobs. . No he has to be able t fix sails while running from the revenge fleet. For elites there is of course the demasting meta and the ability to take off peoples mast with a single broadside

All this mods, repairs and chain limits do widen the gap between the players.

Some elite player, who is doing twice the damage he recieves, can repair as much as the noob. The not so skilled players always think that the possibility of many repairs or mods helps them, but it doesn't. 

The battle results would be much closer without repairs and mods.

• Like 3

On 4/14/2020 at 6:38 AM, Cetric de Cornusiac said:

I don't see why a fleet is suddenly "obsolete" because there appears a new ingredient which enables a few percent more of this or that in stats. You can still fight splendidly in your "obsolete" ships. You just have to trust in their and your capabilities, as before.

Simple. Seasoned woods are faster, stronger, and can only be afforded by clans and veteran players. I just saw Teak for sale in a capitol port for 150 per. Same port, seasoned Teak is 7000 per. That's the value players put on it. Wonder why? Take 2 captains anywhere close in capability & my bet is on the one with a 'buffed' ship

• Like 3

I took the time to read these 11 pages... 

As a consequence of this information, I'll uninstall the game. Cheers to all and thanks for these 5000 hours of playing.

But this is over.

• Like 13

On 14.4.2020 at 11:45, Earl of Grey said:

Ich weiß nicht, wie viel Einfluss Dänisch in Russland hat. Ich wollte nur sagen, dass es ein bisschen seltsam klingt, uns zu beschuldigen, nach einem Bündnis russischer und dänischer Streitkräfte versucht zu haben, einen neuen Handwerkshafen zu bekommen. Nehmen Sie ALLES von uns.

Was wir tun sollten? Einfach ruhig sterben?

There are people who have actually tried to fight a war they have declared. The result could have been that KRAKE would have lost a lot. I have my doubts whether owning a craft harbor is worth becoming a server pariah. And the calculation can only work if no large Russian clan changes the nation, conquers its possessions, and then switches back. Maybe it is enough if 1-2 non-Russian nations target them and the big Russian clans just don't do anything.

Regarding new trees. Some players have inquired about their availability and effect on admiralty notes or admiralty made ships (for example imported ships)
Those new trees will not have a significant effect and will be rare and very expensive. They are not going to be widely available (but by their composition any professional crafter can judge what they will be as they are mostly variations of rare teak and rare strong oaks). They will be salted/seasoned from the start.

• Like 2