Game-Labs Forum

Pre-Release Server Status Information

15 minutes ago, Routan said:

Well you actually got it all.

Plenty of guys stream the game and also put up videos.

They have made post about game will be released, on stream.

So you actually got it all. 

On top of that lot of players thar been inactive, will come back. Plus they have poked other inactive players. It will be a blast. Dont worry.

Hope ur right, I guess we will find out in 36hrs how well release goes 

23 minutes ago, Routan said:

Well you actually got it all.

Plenty of guys stream the game and also put up videos.

They have made post about game will be released, on stream.

So you actually got it all. 

On top of that lot of players thar been inactive, will come back. Plus they have poked other inactive players. It will be a blast. Dont worry.

LOL, the only people who watch Naval Action streams are Naval Action players. Let’s get real, Naval Action is literally the worst game to stream. No one wants to watch someone AFK sail and watch Netflix. ;) 

I mean, MightyMo sat there and played with his Cozmo robot while he wasn’t getting sunk like a noob. Not exactly enthralling.

No, advertising and promotion has to start with Steam, flower through traditional gaming media sites and be rooted in good community and word of mouth in the corners of the internet where this type of niche game appeals (Age of Sail, piratey interest groups and MMO specific fora). And unfortunately, Naval Action doesn’t have a very good reputation in those corners so a serious investment in the other areas would be needed in my opinion.

Edited by Capitalism
  • Like 4

52 minutes ago, Black veil said:

With respect u think that's a good idea for releasing a game?, just that and nothing else? No adverts, no YouTube streamers announcing it etc... nothing on steam saying hey 2 days and this amazing game releases, none of this worries u?

No does not worry me,  isn't my game and money made. :D

Free play weekend though would fill server at release, show game with good population. 

Perhaps even some would buy game as result.

Edited by Doh

32 minutes ago, Capitalism said:

LOL, the only people who watch Naval Action streams are Naval Action players. Let’s get real, Naval Action is literally the worst game to stream. No one wants to watch someone AFK sail and watch Netflix. ;) 

That's how I got into the game - I watched a stream first (and read a news about it before that). You can't state "noone". From now on, you can only state "almost noone, apart from this one strange dude who's into those things".

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Doh said:

Free play weekend though would fill server at release, show game with good population. 

Perhaps even some would buy game as result.

You're probably right. I think that promoting a free play weekend may be not free on Steam though - in fact I suppose it costs quite a lot, especially this week :)

Maybe I'm wrong though.

Edited by vazco
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Audacious said:

0 promotion or preparation. 

It comes across as if they don’t care or they're just overworked, in any case it's sloppy marketing.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Capsize More said:

This thread is slowly devolving into yet another salt storm.  If you're thinking of writing yet another negative post, I humbly beg of you to go find another game instead.  Its all been said already.  

"I hate the game, it sucks" (continues playing) ;). It comes down to the fact that there is nothing else quite like NA at the moment. 

I like the game, but I'll be the first to join some others when they say the game does not seem "ready." I think it boils down that "clear communication" has not been a forte for the past 3-6 months. We are left with questions that have some people worried will be left unanswered. 

I look forward to the release, but I agree with others in the hope that it doesn't mean the game is "done with development" if you know what I mean. With so many games and game companies that work to continue development of the game way past it's release date, it's hard to swallow the thought that the game may be unfinished, and yet there is no plans to continue.

In the end, I think the hyperbole of the doom and gloom of the game is a bit much. Those of us who play now, will be playing 3 months later - we all just hope more players come back and stay to also enjoy the show.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, RyebreadMike said:

While I do agree the information flow from the devs (at least lately) has been 'sparse';

not only lately it has benn sparse since 2016. But the difference is that 2016 we had a game without OW and the mechanics were quite self-explanatory. But now it's a complex mess and nobody really knows anything important about it except he goes trial & error mode. I think this won't change anymore ... maybe it's paid to the fact that this game was completely  turned over and over by the devs.

3 hours ago, vazco said:

That's how I got into the game - I watched a stream first (and read a news about it before that). You can't state "noone". From now on, you can only state "almost noone, apart from this one strange dude who's into those things".

I won’t bother repeating Wraith’s point, but yeah, I’d suggest re-reading my post for comprehension. But I’ll concede that “all” is a bit strong as maybe there are people out there who enjoy watching someone else watch Netflix... Mystery Science Theater 3000 was basically that and hugely popular. ;) 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Capitalism said:

But I’ll concede that “all” is a bit strong

You got my point :)

Some NA streams (but more often, videos) are surprisingly interesting, even when you didn't play the game yet.

If you think the game is not promoted enough, start recording tutorials, stream yourself, and promote the game - like eg. Bart, or Banished did...

...oh, wait :P

Let's maybe wait for release, and see what happens :)

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, GhastlyGhost said:

Faith some of you in this game is amazing. Don`t be disappointed after the release. Even if this game hit 1000 - 1100 players it will be still same unbalanced Naval with lot of unrealised ideas.

... and still a lot of fun

• Like 5

The discouragement that some of you bring with your distaste towards the game is disturbing. No one is keeping you here or demanding you return to play something that obviously frustrates or find no enjoyment in. People that still enjoy the game are fully aware there are issues. However, they are not beating the monotone drum attempting to deter others and create displeasure.

Edited by Davos Seasworth
  • Like 13

If only every game we play could have everything we demand in it to suit only ourselves or friends and no one else. Considering all the bitching from some people, I would absolutely expect them to never play another game in their lives.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, GhastlyGhost said:

Faith some of you in this game is amazing. Don`t be disappointed after the release. Even if this game hit 1000 - 1100 players it will be still same unbalanced Naval with lot of unrealised ideas.

Maybe.  The odd development decisions have caused years of hair-pulling.  However, we're getting what we're getting and I'm going to make the best go of it that I can. We're all frustrated about this and that and a few other things, but there's no excuse for disgruntled people peeing in the pool trying to spoil things for everyone. 

• Like 3

Now I haven't done an extensive search, but from what I saw this afternoon there is absolutely nothing like NA for sailing (i.e. having control over) and fighting (i.e. shooting frigging cannons at your command .. and an 'ok' boarding action) schooners all the way up to ships o' the line.  Can it be better, would we all like to see some improvements in some areas .. hell yes; and the devs very recently mentioned after-release additions.  Now either that will happen or it won't.  But you don't know if it will or not, either do I; nobody does except the devs.  

I went off a bit earlier today and got (as someone pointed out) a little snarky ;) ... but I'll re-iterate, constructive criticism is desired, continuous bashing with no contribution is whining ... and boring.

• Like 4

AMEN, AMEN, AMEN!!!

Is everything perfect...No. Do I love messing around in ships?.....Yes. Does this game, above all others get me as close to what I want as I can get?.....Yes. Do I enjoy it?....Yes. Can I find/do better?....NO.

Captain Ed and Seadog 2nd Class Wade are going to continue to sail the High Seas with joy and vigor for as long as the servers are up and have a hell of a great time doing so, come hell or high water.

Sorry to be short but I have to get back to work.

See you all on the High Seas, fair sailing and a great game launch.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Wraith said:

If you're happy with your sandwich that's fine.. express your opinions as to why. But we're all entitled to our opinions as long as you're making them from an informed standpoint and not from one of utter ignorance.

That's all I was trying to put forward.  Constructive criticism sure .. but over time a lot of it (not even TRYING to put a % on it) just became a continuous flow of negativity.  And that is what annoys me, and possibly others.  I got snarky earlier, and admitted it after looking back on it.  "In My Opinion" ... some people, and seriously have no one in mind here, just need to lighten up.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RyebreadMike said:

That's all I was trying to put forward.  Constructive criticism sure .. but over time a lot of it (not even TRYING to put a % on it) just became a continuous flow of negativity

That happens all the time, leads people to be… ah…hmm... start posting on Steam! 😉

47 minutes ago, Wraith said:

What I find disturbing is how some people on the forum take a critique of the game or its development trajectory as a personal affront, or license to berate the people giving the feedback.  Very few of us are saying to any of you as players, "Hey buddy, you're eating a shit sandwich, you're disgusting!"  Instead, we're saying, "Hey guys, we're eating a shit sandwich here, maybe we should expect some meat and cheese?!"  

If you're happy with your sandwich that's fine.. express your opinions as to why. But we're all entitled to our opinions as long as you're making them from an informed standpoint and not from one of utter ignorance.

Not everyone likens playing this game to eating a shit sandwich. The game isn't perfect, there's stuff id like to see added or removed, but at the end of the day constant bitching, accusations, and finger pointing wont get anything done. Spamming your opinions and "critiques" non stop on the forums and then accusing other people of trying to suppress your own opinion when they tell you to stfu doesn't mean your opinions are worth more or less than anyone else's, it just means you are annoying as hell. We get it, you're disgruntled and you think things should have been handled differently, just don't pretend like you're under attack all the time when you essentially shit on a product that many people still enjoy. 

Edited by Potemkin
  • Like 3