Game-Labs Forum

Pre-Release Server Status Information

1 hour ago, vazco said:

Yes, there are :) Forced alliances don't work, we tested it in the past.

It's fun to throw those ideas out, without thinking through all details. The funny thing is, details usually break them :P One introduced succesful idea is more worth than 100 ideas which were not tested yet :)

Uh we never tested forced alliances, we had a voted system that got very stale on both servers with the East vs West on EU and than GB/US/DUTCH vs PIrates and every one else.   The new alliance system would only make it 5 factions you can play and fight against instead of 11.  We have way to many nations right now and way to little players so doing a smaller number of factions would mean more players per team to fight against each other.

We also didn't have forge papers back than, the only way to switch nations was to delete your char and start over for the most part.   Now if you don't like the alliance you can just change nations.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

Uh we never tested forced alliances, we had a voted system that got very stale on both servers with the East vs West on EU and than GB/US/DUTCH vs PIrates and every one else.   The new alliance system would only make it 5 factions you can play and fight against instead of 11.  We have way to many nations right now and way to little players so doing a smaller number of factions would mean more players per team to fight against each other.

We also didn't have forge papers back than, the only way to switch nations was to delete your char and start over for the most part.   Now if you don't like the alliance you can just change nations.

I think it's worth trying out honestly.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Doh said:

If alliance system could make if nation own over 50% of port on map that alliances change (grand coalition) against nation until back to lower amount.

Still no post from dev about this if coming or not.

The problem with a set goal is a nation doesn't have to win that goal, they can just sit at 49% and keep the map the same.  That is why POTBS had a timer too.  Map was reset when you won the map or after a certain time (3-4 months).  You keep all resources and buildings, you just had to recapture your port to use them again if they where your nations ports in the first place.  The ports reset back to historical map, so we could actually do this on PVE and only fight AI to test it and than reset the map every 4 months.  You keep all your resources so getting the port back and the port bonus aren't that hard most of us did it in a week or two on PvP with stock piled resources.   

4 hours ago, Severus Snape said:

I think it's worth trying out honestly.  

With factions weak nations can be supported by a stranger nation in there faction and help each other out.  Now that we have forge papers if you don't like the faction your in just go to something else.  Since it's historically set factions the history nuts should be happy.  I honestly think it would do better for the game than what we have now with 11 nations and hardly any one fighting each other other than back and forth one or two nations in each main time zones.

40 minutes ago, Routan said:

But why would bigger Numbers make ppl fight? If I look on how the game has been in the years I played, it has not been numbers that matter, but that there is somebody willing to organize it in the nation.

If nation a has only 10 active players, Nation b has 5 and Nation C has 15 of a faction you now have 30 players that can work together and help each other out in port battles.  before Nation C would maybe be able to do small ports, but Nation b would of been screwed out of RvR.  More players to work together means bigger team and more chance to get folks to organize things and means more battles.

Your always going to have an issue with folks wanting to work together and get organize, but with more players on the same team (several nations in one faction) you get a better chance of getting a team built up to go fight.

Maybe that guy that can get them more organized might be in one of those other nations in that faction.

Edited by Sir Texas Sir

16 hours ago, Angus MacDuff said:

I can see many pros to what you say.  The major con for me though, is the enormous amount of investment that goes into making a "crafting" base now.  A periodic map wipe would destroy all of that. 

If "periodic" means every 6 months, I'd say it's fine. 

13 hours ago, vazco said:

Yes, there are :) Forced alliances don't work, we tested it in the past.

It's fun to throw those ideas out, without thinking through all details. The funny thing is, details usually break them :P One introduced succesful idea is more worth than 100 ideas which were not tested yet :)

BS! 

We never tested forced alliances. There were player voted alliances which eventually became locked alliances. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Routan said:

But if we only end up with a game where Nations only can field 5-10 playes. Lets be honnest, then the biggest problem isent alliances.

Right now if we look at those clans recruting post, only Poland will have a problem, it is mostlikly going to be a dead nation.

We can have Alliances ore not. We can cut down to 2 Nations and so on. But why ppl dont fight have imo little to do with Numbers, and more to do with ppls mentality.

Using the Poland issue of lack of players.  The alliance system Admin posted would have them in a faction with Prussian.   So those 10 players could work with the Prussians and maybe get something done.  Yah the problem with nations having small pop is more a problem of to many nations.  Again it's taking 11 nations and turning them into 5 factions.  That means a lot of those small nations would be combined with bigger ones that can join each others fights and PB's.  So folks can still fly there fav flags and not have to join one of those nations.  The other options has been to drop all but Spain, France, GB, Pirates, Dutch (thats 5 nations) sicne those are the 5 top nations that actually had navies and an influence during this time period.  US kinda could be added but they where mainly added cause of 50% of the sales was to the North American area.  POTBS only had Spain, France, GB and Pirates for a reason.  To many nations is bad.   

1 hour ago, rediii said:

Sounds like a pretty realistic polish navy :D 

They had troops in cuba though, so they must have a Nation.   

1 hour ago, van Veen said:

If "periodic" means every 6 months, I'd say it's fine. 

After 6 months play we would have so much resources stocked up a map reset wouldn't be an issue, it would just remove dead clans with lots of money from owning ports or allow for new ownership of some regions as new folks can get them first.

8 hours ago, van Veen said:

BS! 

We never tested forced alliances. There were player voted alliances which eventually became locked alliances. 

Oh, I'm sorry, you're right. We never tested forced alliance. We only tested voted alliances, which were not respected, as people considered them forced. Of course I'm sure that actual forced alliances won't have this issue. It's a strong logical conclusion, thus I withdraw my argument.