Game-Labs Forum

Pre-Release Server Status Information

7 minutes ago, Wraith said:

It's just a turn of phrase, don't read too much into it. :P I don't think Naval Action is a shit sandwich either, otherwise I wouldn't be putting time (and money) into updating the Wiki and providing feedback like I do.  But I don't think it's productive to go about stroking the developers egos either when there are poor decisions being made. We invested in the game and so we should take some pride in trying to make it better through honest critique.  That's my opinion.

Do you really think they are unaware of 90% of what you guys say they are? Honestly i agree with some of your critiques but the volume at which they are posted and verbal delivery of them on the forum clouds alot of the messages you try to get across. 

Edited by Potemkin
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, Wraith said:

"You guys..." Careful there, don't be stereotyping anyone, that wouldn't be fair. And I don't think anyone would criticize me for not speaking my mind, so why would I think they don't know exactly what I express? I express it here just as I express it anywhere.

Oh, my bad, im just an "apologist" eating my shit sandwich, dont mind me 😆

Edited by Potemkin

For me this is a bittersweet release.  I am glad for the release but this used to be a fun trading game on either server.  Unfortunately that [trading] game has been abandoned and I don't think we'll ever see it again.  It's disappointing for me; I will try to play for a while but doubt I will continue much.

Edited by Papillon
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Yeah, I long for the tobacco and compass wood baron days... Logging in just to keep and update contracts for tobacco was good times.  Capturing traders running compass wood in and out of Atwood at all hours was true privateering goodness.  Alas.

...and now you bring a tear to my eyes.  To have loved and lost...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Vernon Merrill said:

Where do you come up with this shite??…  It hasn't even launched yet and now it's "abandoned"?  

Is there a secret dev blog that I don't know about??  Because everyone seems to know exactly what the devs are planning or not planning...

Its fecking annoying.

No, I think you misinterpreted what I said.  Please read it again.  Try to read it without your sarcasm and argumentative glasses.

What I said was the "trading game" that once was, was abandoned.  If you were a trader for any length of time you would have understood my comment, instead of being too quick to criticize another player's opinion.

Wraith captured my comment exactly.  That's the feeling that was lost, whatever you think.

• Like 2

I don't know about you guys...

but I am ready for the first port battle where both sides are max port bonus (the max possible of whatever it is) with the best woods all kitted out with Blomfields for the best long guns . The "new" Golden Fleet.

But now that you've re-read my comment Vernon, do you agree with it?  Or disagree?  (Or maybe you never traded).  There really was a time when I would relish 20 minutes time before work to get just a tad of trading in.  That was a great time in the development.  There were a lot of traders in game back then.  Not really sure why that wasn't a good thing for the game.

• Like 1

Just now, Papillon said:

But now that you've re-read my comment Vernon, do you agree with it?  Or disagree?  (Or maybe you never traded).  There really was a time when I would relish 20 minutes time before work to get just a tad of trading in.  That was a great time in the development.  There were a lot of traders in game back then.  Not really sure why that wasn't a good thing for the game.

Totally agree.   I used to craft mid-tier ship components like knees and blocks....  

I loved when trading and crafting was more immersive and complex.

But I don't have the data that shows whether the majority of players did.  Certainly there were manyhere on these forums that absolutely detested the complexity of crafting and trading and the dreaded sailing part of a sailing game.

This community has always had a deep divide between the arena crowd and the MMO crowd.  In the end, NEITHER may be fully satisfied.

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, Teutonic said:

I don't know about you guys...

but I am ready for the first port battle where both sides are max port bonus (the max possible of whatever it is) with the best woods all kitted out with Blomfields for the best long guns . The "new" Golden Fleet.

You mean the first port battle when 1 nation has PB Bonus ships and the other is in redeemable Ratts only filling half the BR?

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Vernon Merrill said:

This community has always had a deep divide between the arena crowd and the MMO crowd.  In the end, NEITHER may be fully satisfied.

Trying to satisfy both has been this games biggest issue.  Attributes from both types of games don't really mix and the line should have been drawn somewhere 3-4 years ago when it was decided what time of game this was going to be.  It's a shame legends was kind of a half baked idea and didn't really work out.  It would of been nice to have the ability to please both types of game play without having to develop both into 1 game.

• Like 4

Also on the topic of the old ship crafting im glad its gone. I have ptsd of having to click like 50 ducking times to craft a ocean. It was literally more enjoyable to afk sail mats around. It was just annoying busy work that added nothing but maybe a bit of immersion for thoughs really into ship design. So many other meaningful things could be done to aid ship crafters like the ability to put up BUY contracts for a ship with specific specs. But dear god please do not send me back to the purgatory that was hey bro we need a fleet of gold oceans.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Severus Snape said:

You mean the first port battle when 1 nation has PB Bonus ships and the other is in redeemable Ratts only filling half the BR?

I'm more worried about the MOBA style PB setup. 25v25 with purple/gold ships and top spec'd PB bonuses leaves little room for variety. Looking at the battles these ships product is very much champion-style where it's not so much gunnery, good angling/sail management and crew allocation, but raw DPS tank battles with 50% heals every 10 minutes. I would be okay with this if I knew in a few months it wasn't going to turn out that the clans that get to that point first will dominate not only PB's, but wreck havoc on the general OW population with ships that greatly outclass anything mid-range by huge margins. This is not like other MMO's like E.V.E or Albion, those have places where you are safe from being farmed. NA has no such safety and fleets of organized super fleets tracking their way through straight to the heart of any enemies capitals. Emphasizing the battle limits, 25v25, so if 25 of these ships roam OW then it's not like mid range ships can tag them 50v25 and use their numbers advantage. The side with the best ships can and will 25v25, then 25v15, then go on to stop a whole nation's players from doing anything for however long their around. There should be found a way to circumvent the limit by adding instances which spread forces within a battle into a series of consecutive battles. Once a battle hits say 20v20 a new battle is opened where a 5v5 is opened, from there one can choose either the 5v5 or 20v20 but both battles should go towards the same result whether on OW or PB.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Vernon Merrill said:

Totally agree.   I used to craft mid-tier ship components like knees and blocks....  

I thought I was in a different plane of existence when I came back to the game, only to find out I no longer had to make carriages (shudder) to make a ship.

13 hours ago, RyebreadMike said:

Fair point, I think I reached my limit of negativity there and went off :)

The problem with the skins is that we have the same paints we had befroe the last wipe they took out of the game.  They said they would add more in 30 days or something and now here we are what 3 months later and they haven't been added.  We know they are in game cause they are in API files and the whole point of DLCs is to pay for more skins, flags and ships.  I put in over 500 dollars into this game between DLC/ALTs and every time we are told something it seems to change so a lot of folks tend to be real negative.  

Maybe they will do a release of more content after the release of the game.  Hope the money from new sales of game and DLC will keep them adding such things.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

The problem with the skins is that we have the same paints we had befroe the last wipe they took out of the game.  They said they would add more in 30 days or something and now here we are what 3 months later and they haven't been added.  We know they are in game cause they are in API files and the whole point of DLCs is to pay for more skins, flags and ships.  I put in over 500 dollars into this game between DLC/ALTs and every time we are told something it seems to change so a lot of folks tend to be real negative.  

Maybe they will do a release of more content after the release of the game.  Hope the money from new sales of game and DLC will keep them adding such things.

If not there's always F2P/subscription which is pretty much guaranteed customers.

10 minutes ago, Slim McSauce said:

If not there's always F2P/subscription which is pretty much guaranteed customers.

subscriptions are so out dated, they would loose players for sure with that.   Honestly it's going to turn F2P eventually with them doing more DLC to buy I bet.  Just like POTBS went that route.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

subscriptions are so out dated, they would loose players for sure with that.   Honestly it's going to turn F2P eventually with them doing more DLC to buy I bet.  Just like POTBS went that route.

Not sure if you noticed by most F2P games have Subscriptions on  the side. Yes subscription-locked is outdated but subscriptions are usually fine, especially in economies where you can buy the subscription time through in-game currency.

• Like 1

Honestly server need money to run at datacenter. It’s recurring cost. I understand and respect that: I’m 1 of those that wouldn’t mind paying the sub fees to maintain the services. Provided continued development is in place after launch. Dev need money to survive and get paid to put food on table. So do we all. 

So if the dev is watching this, I hope NA is not going to be an abandon project. Need money, put out a subscription model. But will be nice to leave the F2P option in there. Can try to learn from games like elder scrolls online, Eve & etc...

its not easy to find a good age of sail game that has the simulation and realistic factor in it. It’s the best out there now and this genre has its customer base.

will be a sad day to see project is drop since efforts has already being put in to make it here so far.

yes this game is far from finish but it’s unfair to ask the dev to work for free to continue developing this game. Yes we paid $50 for the games but given it’s based now. It’s easy to work on the sum that how much the dev is getting.

assuming 3000 copies. That’s only generate a $150k. Taking away the cost to run the server and percentage that steam took away, this really is very little money. 

No 1 in this world will want to work on a project that doesn’t get paid. 

All I ask for. Is continued development from the dev. I can’t speak for anybody other than myself. Some will gladly pay the sub, some won’t. But I believe this can serve the balance of both willing to pay and not willing to pay customer. 

Dev can learn from the business mode of other studio. 

Eve online has a bigger base but not all is paying. But the studio has been going on for so long and still maintaining the game. They have paid and free customer base. They are surviving. 

I like this game and until another that come in close to NA, I will hate to see this genre and game dies off. 

Edited by PhilipAce
Typo edit
  • Like 3