Game-Labs Forum

Endurance and Final exams - How to pass them (in new damage model)

admin

Hello Captains

This little text guide will help you pass the endurance and finals with relative ease (its hard but doable).
Remember that you do not have to pass exams on your first day and can come back to them any time. You can practice in kill missions and in the OW and once you learn the basics it will be much easier to pass the finals.

Endurance exam.
You have to sink 2 brigs that appear one by one. 
This exam is relatively easy if you pick up repairs from the first kill. 

Damage 

1. Stay close. 
    1. By staying close you have better penetration and can damage the target from angles (of course it works both ways). You will increase your DPS 2x if you turn using yards. Practice tacking in kill missions or in the easier exams (boarding or demasting). When one of your broadsides is damaged, change the side by turning.
  2. Change broadsides. 
    1. Changing broadsides will help you to spread damage between broadsides so you do not lose too much structure
  3. Focus fire
    1. Try to focus fire on one of the enemy side. Pick one side and stay on it no matter what. You will start damaging structure faster as a result. Sometimes it is better to not shoot, and get to the damaged side. Rake depending on the situation, you can practice raking in the open world or in the previous easier exams (for example in boarding challenge). 

Once you destroyed the target pick up repairs (remember that you had to stay close). And disengage from the first one. Do not demast, do not shoot sails it is not going to be really helpful in this exam in the first method.

Alternative method (harder but faster) - board the first Brig. 

• Focus purely on raking through stern and bow, destroy stern armor, kill most of the crew by grapeshot and then board.
  • Dont be afraid to get damaged you will not need your ship after you boarded and switched
  • Ignore structure and hull because you will need this ship intact after you boarded.
    • you can shoot one broadside into sails, to help you board faster - but do not damage a lot of sails
  • Push the the target into wind and board. 
  • After you captured the ship switch to the new intact vessel and pop repairs depending on the situation
  • You can disengage temporarily to finish repairing and then come back.
    • Then just kill the second brig with ease (its just a brig). Repair again if needed (you picked up enough of repairs from the dead target).

Final exam

The ultimate test for the future Master and Commander. requiring precision, damage control and ability to use all types of ammunition in combat.
Some players pass this exam using rage boarding - its possible but relies on luck. This guide will help you to pass this exam without boarding.

The close range DPS from 2 cerberus is immense and will sink you quickly. The best distance for this fight is medium range and you must separate targets from each other. It is only possible to pass the final if you manage to separate the targets. 

Combat situation
2 enemy Cerberus 5th rates start in front of you turned against you
Wind is behind

What to do

• Separate the targets
    • Switch to chain during red timer or once battle starts
    • Use ALL chain reserves focusing on one of the ships (lets call it Target B ) destroying its sails as much as you can preferably to 60-50% or below. 
    • You can do this way
      • see which direction your target b started turning and turn into opposite direction from the enemy right from the start of the battle, just enough to get the shot in, stabilize the ship and shoot 
      • then turn into opposite direction from your first turn to use another broadside.
    • 2 proper broadsides will be enough to remove 40-50% of sails from one of the ships. If you did not get much damage you turn once more and shoot sails once more. But if your first shots were good it is not needed.
  • Kite
    • Sail straight and ignore damage - it does not matter right now if you get hit - just try to not get all damage from close range into one side. 
    • Pop repairs and disengage by sailing along the wind which will separate the enemy ships.
    • Use your stern guns to shoot front hull of the target A chasing you
    • And turn sometimes to shoot cannonballs into side of the enemy
    • This stage is needed to separate the enemies. 
  • Destroy first Cerberus (target A)
    • Once the targets are separated (target b is more than 1km away) turn around and destroy the target A (with intact sails)
    • Focus on one broadside
    • Stay at range if you have received a lot of damage and have not yet repaired shooting from far
      • if you have enough HP get closer to finish the target faster
    • Get closer when the target is heavily damaged to pick up repairs
    • Now target A is dead and you can focus on Target B
  • Repair
    • Repair your ship using your or picked up repairs
    • Shoot top mast sections of Target B
    • Most likely you will demast while you are repairing
    • Once you repaired enough you can start the final stage
  • Destroy target B
    • Return to target B and sink it by focusing on one of the broadside and raking. Because the target has low sails it wont turn well allowing you to rake often
    • Alternatively (safer but longer) just destroy the target from 500m as they are only very accurate only at close range. 
  • Like 7

5 minutes ago, PG Monkey said:

any video of this method?

Just did it after people reported that no-one can do it on live. (devs must pass all exams or events otherwise they must change them )
Took 40 mins and had to repair 4 times (picking up repairs from the first ship). Second target was fully demasted at mid sections at stage during final repair cycle. 
Once i have more time we can make the video.

• Like 4

I know at least two people have finished tutorial in the most recent patch with no major difficulties. Final exam is more tricky than it used to. but demast grape board works as usual.

Boarding is more difficult because you are the defender in most cases though. (AI is more aggressive as attacker).

endurance can be done in less than 10 min, final is about 15-30 min if you know what you are doing and have a little bit of luck.

• Like 1

Official guide to pass in game tutorial?! That's something really new in the whole game industry. Seriously  :) 

Until now I thought that tutorial is the thing which suppose to introduce game mechanics and stuff to new people. And is shouldn't require 2K hours experience and guide to pass it.

Come on. It's really fcuk logic :)

Edited by BloodyRaven
  • Like 6

16 minutes ago, BloodyRaven said:

Official guide to pass in game tutorial?! That's something really new in the whole game industry. Seriously  :) 

Until now I thought that tutorial is the thing which suppose to introduce game mechanics and stuff to new people. And is shouldn't require 2K hours experience and guide to pass it.

Come on. It's really fcuk logic :)

maybe learn the difference between the words "tutorial" and "exam" mate....

Edited by Tom Farseer
  • Like 1

sigh... not a "pro" in my eyes but I guess I'll take a look at how to get ReLive to work.... Will get back to you in 2-3 days. Too much RL work to do it today.

I am actually really curious on how I will manage. haven't tried on the new dmg model...

@rediii you wann give it a shot as well? and no cheesy rageboarding :P

Edited by Tom Farseer
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, HachiRoku said:

That would not be good for beginners. Try do it as simple as possible. 

then you just have to hug the shit out of the first one and then second one since AI still don't shoot when you are too close...

3 minutes ago, RKY said:

then you just have to hug the shit out of the first one and then second one since AI still don't shoot when you are too close...

That is only the case for larger ships. Doesn't work that well with small ones. 

44 minutes ago, Tom Farseer said:

maybe learn the difference between the words "tutorial" and "exam" mate....

Exam is the part of the tutorial mate... 

So I kinda know what I'm talking about. So devs should put a guy who has never seen this game and after 3-4 days playing it force him to pass whole tutorial, with exam. If he manage to do it, than tutorial is good.   

9 minutes ago, BloodyRaven said:

Exam is the part of the tutorial mate... 

So I kinda know what I'm talking about. So devs should put a guy who has never seen this game and after 3-4 days playing it force him to pass whole tutorial, with exam. If he manage to do it, than tutorial is good.   

Exam is not a tutorial, mate. Its called exam for a reason. So you dont know what you are talking about. You are talking about the tutorial and exam is not part of the tutorial. 

Many hard games put a hard boss in the first 15 mins of the game that player must pass but 30% of players cannot do not pass (dark souls 3 or 1 for example), they also put optional hard npcs that you an skip. A lot more ignore them
If you do not like it fine. its ok that you dont like it. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, admin said:

Exam is not a tutorial, mate. Its called exam for a reason. So you dont know what you are talking about. You are talking about the tutorial and exam is not part of the tutorial. 

Many hard games put a hard boss in the first 15 mins of the game that player must pass but 30% of players cannot do not pass (dark souls 3 or 1 for example), they also put optional hard npcs that you an skip. A lot more ignore them
If you do not like it fine. its ok that you dont like it. 

Hmmm in my game Exam in under tutorial button, so.... 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BloodyRaven said:

Hmmm in my game Exam in under tutorial button, so.... 

8 minutes ago, admin said:

Exam is not a tutorial, mate. Its called exam for a reason. So you dont know what you are talking about.

Player assumption. Maybe the structure of tutorial and Exam (book) can be improved.

Exam and Tutorial can both be accessed by pressing "ESC" in port and clicking "Tutorial"

• Like 6