Game-Labs Forum

Patch 13: Variability in port battles, epic events, swivel guns

admin

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

The thing you're missing is the size of the circles and the numbers of ships vs. the BR limitations for getting in.  With current port configurations and the ship count winning/capping circles it basically boils down to whoever is fastest and can throw chain farthest will cap circles and win (or especially on defense, just keep the attacking team from winning).

Can you elaborate how this relates to BR advantage vs number advantage?

7 minutes ago, TrackTerror said:

Can you elaborate how this relates to BR advantage vs number advantage?

I can imagine 6-7 Wasa vs 25 Princes.

the 20 Princes Chain the enemy Wasa while they basically run "circles" around them capping the Circles do to number advantage. If the Wasa fleet splits up, well....the Princes now have and incredibly easy time chewing them up. I do believe that we can make the capture Circles smaller and maybe make it take longer to capture and that could solve the possible problem.

I personally feel that we should stick to Numbers for circle capture, but BR may be a way to go.

Overall though I definitely think we need to see how the Stat/Br balance for ship goes first.

Edited by Teutonic
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Liq said:

I dont think it will

ATM You can have 10 lynxes capping a zone vs 3 santis. 

When BR is the deciding factor at capping then you will just have to have your ships in the circle and it should work out fine

Yup and the santis will most likely trash the lynxes or chase them away from capping zone. However I think neither of those two setups will be the new meta, but lets see what the next week brings in term of PB's and reevaluate/ tune as the devs suggested. if only bringing lynxes is the new shit then obviously will will see that tactic in the next few days.

33 minutes ago, DerExcler said:

Skill Book output is to high.

2 Fleets beetween 1200 and 900 BR.... 10 Skill books.... sorry... too much

pls reduce this

Do you mean books your purchase via PVP marks or books in NPC hold?

Fantastic patch!

The BR limits for PBs look very interesting indeed. As many others have said, the ship BRs have to be looked at, but seems like that is already in the works.

I like this, and the direction the game is going. The ships that got turn speed buffs really needed it too!

9 hours ago, admin said:

Captains

Patch is being deployed today

• All % caps have been increased by 5% to provide more variability in fitouts
  • Turn rates have been improved for Endymion, Constitution, Agamemnon, Trincomalee, Indefatigable

What are the new turn rates for those ships?

Looks like a very good patch. I am particularity happy to see the boost to heavy frigates and the good old aggie.

Howver, I feel that Essex is left behind: It's turning rate advantage as compared to other heavy frigates has just been minimized. So, please consider a gentle boost to speed (0.25 kn or a bit more would be nice). Furthermore, Essex is a decent beam reach sailor, certainly as compared to trinco and other heavy frigates. I wonder if this characteristics can further be  improved. These two changes will help to differentiate Essex and should give a good reason to bring Essex back to OW.

The members of the Essex fun club eagerly await your decision.

• Like 2

@admin or anyone who has seen one...

How are Neutral AI port battle fleets being created under this patch? Is it still the same 6 shallow, 4th, or 1st rates or are they max number of ships under the allowed br or some other variation?

6 hours ago, admin said:

Calculating capture by BR will defeat the purpose of mixed fleets. Everyone will take biggest BR ships again (up to the limit) and we will see 13v13 first rates instead of 25v25 first rates like right now

Calculating capture by number of ships means you try to find a good mono fleet and fill the rest of the slots with low-BR-ships like Lynx. This is bad because you force players to use ships with no chance to kill anyone in the fight, just sailing from A to B to A to waste some1 elses time.

Either change cap by BR or limit the ship slots, so that for example a 5100 BR PB has a maximum of 18 ships. I would prefer a limit of the slots so that also smaller clans and nations get PBs. Cap by number means you have to fill as much slots as possible and just play around the circles and try to avoid fighting with a large part of your group. Its no good gameplay.

Also a increase of max BR would be nice, right now you cant even fill the biggest PB possible (8500 BR) with Bellonas.

Last point to eliminate boring mono fleets (which will still be used by most nations in this system): only allow a maximum 50% from one shiptype.

Edited by Jon Snow lets go
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

Sometimes is hard to fight with so many enemies (unless is IA)...

But ok, lets assume that the other side played bad. We still need more battles to see what can be done to improve it.

Any suggestions @rediii ?

Nope, it really isn't. Given equal BR; fewer and heavier ships should easily defeat a larger fleet of smaller ships. Simply because it is very easy for multiple heavy ships to demast a lighter ship completely  and then just sail close to it to sink it. I've seen this happen quite a few times when Pirates sailed small Bellona fleets to Gustavia and engaged large numbers of frigates there. Surprises were simply cannon fodder because the masts went down in single broadsides.

The smaller ships will on the other hand have a hard time bringing all their guns to bear effectively on the larger ships. 12 and 18pd cannon are completely useless against the broadside armor of 4th rates and up unless they get a really nice 90° hit, the masts will hold forever and unless you can get right behind them, you can't rake them either - and if you do get close enough to rake, you open yourself up to getting demasted.

The game mechanics right now massively favor heavier guns and heavier armor unless the lighter ship can deny the full strength of the broadside by outmaneuvering.

Edited by Quineloe
  • Like 2

1700 limit is probably there for smaller clans, which is a very good thing.

BR limit is definitely a good thing.  Maybe even consider some rate limits as well, after we see how this version works. Or limit number of ships.

May need to balance other ship values as well (than just BR).

Probably has to use BR instead of ship count when capping.

Decently played big ships are very devastating for big fleets of small ships.

Edited by Cmdr RideZ
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, George Washington said:

Here is how 25 Ship - 8500 BR PB setup Looks. I like it. 

BR used - 8495

5 - 1st

2 - 2nd

4 - 3rd

5 - 4th

9 - 5th

VLdKeG9.jpg

Toll Used - 

@admin Was thinking about this and battle groups gives you no info.  I mean nothing other than player name compared to normal groups.  Maybe you can add the ship and BR of the player to the battle group and maybe have a BR total listed next to the battle leader?   I think the battle leader should be one ship by it self above the group (you have the 25th player to the side by himself).  This would make organizing Port Battle fleets way easier cause if your off by one BR your going to have folks locked out side.

7 hours ago, admin said:

We will give it a week or less to test
Calculating capture by BR will defeat the purpose of mixed fleets. Everyone will take biggest BR ships again (up to the limit) and we will see 13v13 first rates instead of 25v25 first rates like right now

I think BR would work better now cause than you can't have 3 basic cutters out cap a 1st rate sitting in a circle.  Yes three 4th rates will win the BR and cap it, but 3 Renno's won't have the BR.  The Reno's can kite the edge of the circle and keep the cap, while the 4th rates can actually kill that solo 1st rate.  This way it forces you to put more ships in a circle to keep the cap if you have a bunch of light ships compared to a team with a small heavy fleet. The other thing is the bigger light fleet can just go cap the other circles if the heavy fleet has to few ships to control more than one circle.  I think circle capping points need to prob be slowed down some more with less ships in the Port Battle it will encourage folks to battle it out for the points.

34 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

1F49943EFC899491B10BB760EA2AD79DCE4F2CD7

An example of the new PBs.

It shows several things:

1. Numbers usually wins battles.

2. Wasa still very popular choice. Needs some stats balance among the fourth rates or give it the BR of a third rate.

3. Hermione in PBs. Is she so good or maybe is she very easy to get?

4. Frigate pirate with the same issues as wasa.

Some tweaks to ships and this feature could give us some really interesting battles.

@admin As per above the Battle Fleet group needs more info.  Just ship your in and BR would be enough info to help do your battle groups.  Maybe a total BR calculator of fleet.

@Intrepido Was the battle won off cap points?   Looks more from sinking them, but was wondering how the circles where played out with the numbers.   I'm thinking some ports will need higher BR numbers as limiting big port battles to only a few 1st rates is going to piss off a few players that want to play the TOP END ships. If you don't want to fight 25 1st rates than don't attack a port with bigger BR.   

18 minutes ago, rediii said:

battles back in the days were dominated by 3rd rates for a reason.

1. fix BR system and find true values so 25 ships can defeat 13 1st rates

2. make BR limit bigger. 1700 and 3000 br are jokes

3. i dont like the PB BR limitation because screening is broken now again. You just don't experience it because not many players care since successfull RvR has only a negative effect. (ports mostly cost money atm)

Yah I'm all ready expecting folks to just screen with a SOL fleet to keep the smaller fleet out of the battle and just win it out side.  Now you will have to bring your Port Battle fleet and hope you got the BR counted right.  Than every one else go in a screening fleet and they cover any BR that is missing from the PB fleet once they enter.

16 minutes ago, Teutonic said:

I think the screen fleet issue certain needs some addressing but the BR limits to port battles is the correct way to go.

No, screening is fine. It isn't complained about for shallow PB - RUS/RDNN screened our mercury fleet with 3rd rates back last year. It isn't complained about for 4th rate PBs, even though they are screened by heavy ships. When we attacked Atwood the first time, we had to join ships far outside the circle as they were being tagged to keep from pulling the fleet in to a battle. That is screening, it is and will always be a part of the game unless you want a lobby queue for PB? Maybe we can scrap whole of OW and just move map lines like For Honor after enough ships is killed :)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Cecil Selous said:

Hm, maybe it's just me but I have a 15 seconds invisible timer and 30 seconds for cannot attack and be attacked.

How long is your load time? This is something i've brought up before. Invisibility timer only matter if its 30 seconds in effect, not on paper. I have a pretty decent PC and it still takes me like 10-15 seconds to load in the OW, this cuts my invisibility timer by 10-15 seconds. 

• Like 1