Game-Labs Forum

Port changes next content patch - September

If freeports are not free to be used as bases , pvp will be very limited. No one would sail hours to the enemy for one fight and sail hours back.

Freeports are necessary to keep pvp alive.

If PvP is as now ganking 5-6 veteran on 1 novice then hell with this PvP, only making ppl leave. Now many players live the game, becose cannot play. Most players cant even go from port, becose this great PvP in most cases is ganking solo players by big group. Most players cannot sail in group. To play in clan you need hve many times, and many clans are against casual play, And not recrut low level players. Look what hapens now on PvP1 near Willemstad. Most solo Duch players left the game or change nations. Why? Becose is no save space to sail. And when most of solo players left the game be no PvP at all. Ppl want PvP, but not be ganked all times, when even you cannot sail for moment, becose you attacked by 60 enemy ship. This is reason why PvP must be restricted litle. This game has big problem - ppl left, and most new players left too, becose is bulling by big group. And special zone for beginers is not solution. 1 - Veterans can still attack with beter ships and 2 - novice player in 1 moment must live the safe zone, and if in this moment is game over, he be ganked all time, and he leave. And as this game has no faction balance, in small faction this be biger problem, becose even he dont left, he change faction, and we have this - in small faction is no eugnuth players to defend any port. Faction is defited, and more players left. When on server be 2k-3k player all time, this be diferent, if big group hunt, has risk be defited. Now - 6-10 ship on hunt and you paralize 1 nation. Becose on server beyond rush is 350-400 ppl tom, and in small nation maybe 20. This "for PvP" thinking make this game fall, becose is nothing to solo players for stay, and most against. And in all online games 80% of players are solo players, becose not all have time, posibility or will for be part in big clan. Now in this game solo players are maybe 20%, most left, and this is bigest problem now.

• Like 3

If PvP is as now ganking 5-6 veteran on 1 novice then hell with this PvP, only making ppl leave. Now many players live the game, becose cannot play. Most players cant even go from port, becose this great PvP in most cases is ganking solo players by big group. Most players cannot sail in group. To play in clan you need hve many times, and many clans are against casual play, And not recrut low level players. Look what hapens now on PvP1 near Willemstad. Most solo Duch players left the game or change nations. Why? Becose is no save space to sail. And when most of solo players left the game be no PvP at all. Ppl want PvP, but not be ganked all times, when even you cannot sail for moment, becose you attacked by 60 enemy ship. This is reason why PvP must be restricted litle. This game has big problem - ppl left, and most new players left too, becose is bulling by big group. And special zone for beginers is not solution. 1 - Veterans can still attack with beter ships and 2 - novice player in 1 moment must live the safe zone, and if in this moment is game over, he be ganked all time, and he leave. And as this game has no faction balance, in small faction this be biger problem, becose even he dont left, he change faction, and we have this - in small faction is no eugnuth players to defend any port. Faction is defited, and more players left. When on server be 2k-3k player all time, this be diferent, if big group hunt, has risk be defited. Now - 6-10 ship on hunt and you paralize 1 nation. Becose on server beyond rush is 350-400 ppl tom, and in small nation maybe 20. This "for PvP" thinking make this game fall, becose is nothing to solo players for stay, and most against. And in all online games 80% of players are solo players, becose not all have time, posibility or will for be part in big clan. Now in this game solo players are maybe 20%, most left, and this is bigest problem now.

Your message is very clear. I have been supporting the solo player since I started here. The RvR group want only clan action and truly do not understand the solo players excitement in this game. The changes that have been made through the year has done much to make the game playable for everyone, even if they complain because the rules have made it less convenient for them.

Every change that has been made in the last half of the year has set the stage for the next patch. Each patch has brought on a new level of the game not seen prior to that patch.The game is much more solo friendly than it was in February and it continues to support both the soloist and clans. People need to change the tactics and strategies with this next patch. The way we have been playing so far will need to change to the new dynamics of the up coming patch. Too keep the game as it has been is not a progressive approach to make the game better for everyone. Gankers have had their way for a while and now PBs are becoming a bit more difficult compared to the way it has been done, but the mechanics change as well. The location and rules with the free towns do change the way we do business as traders and do business as warriors and I am glad for the changes as it will provide for a new and different approach to playing this great game.

IMHO

• Like 4

Ok so some of us are moving resources and ships ready for map reset.  This is meaning that a lot of things are getting moved into capital or to ports that we know will be safe.  Then sit on your hands and wait? One thing I would suggest is that they broadcast this in the login screen. I have spoken to lots of people who dont read the forums.  The only reason I suggest this is because it will reduce the amount of incoming messages of 'what the hell happened!'. 

Something like ' Map resets in 7 days ' ... message in login screen. 

Edited by Cpt Shadow
  • Like 5

Ok so some of us are moving resources and ships ready for map reset.  This is meaning that a lot of things are getting moved into capital or to ports that we know will be safe.  Then sit on your hands and wait? One thing I would suggest is that they broadcast this in the login screen. I have spoken to lots of people who dont read the forums.  The only reason I suggest this is because it will reduce the amount of incoming messages of 'what the hell happened!'. 

Something like ' Map resets in 7 days ' ... message in login screen. 

I agree that having a broadcast message for major upcoming events (such as a map reset, patch deployment, etc) would be useful, particularly to those players who don't read the forums on a regular basis or who don't log into game on a daily/regular basis.  They have done it in the past for the PvP 3EU server merger so doing so would appear to be feasible.

Maybe time for population to change nations and look forward to a new world :)

Bigger population doesn't mean they will be able to provoke enough hostility if all they do is grazing sheep and tending farms.

It wouldn't be a bad thing if they allowed transfer from a populated nation to a lower populated or even servers when the patch comes to kinda balance out the numbers.

• Like 2

It wouldn't be a bad thing if they allowed transfer from a populated nation to a lower populated or even servers when the patch comes to kinda balance out the numbers.

What is there to stop a person transferring from a lower populated nation to a larger populated nation when they have had just enough with surviving in a lower populated nation?

How do you handle a super-power based upon population?

Popularity of a nation is what drives some people's choice, and who are the ones to tell players, sorry you cannot be a part of nation "X" because too many people already choose that nation.

And if everyone choose the same nation then we have two PvE servers, LOL.

What is there to stop a person transferring from a lower populated nation to a larger populated nation when they have had just enough with surviving in a lower populated nation?

How do you handle a super-power based upon population?

Popularity of a nation is what drives some people's choice, and who are the ones to tell players, sorry you cannot be a part of nation "X" because too many people already choose that nation.

And if everyone choose the same nation then we have two PvE servers, LOL.

If the devs allow players to switch sides as easy as they can now you are right. Within a few months all the try hards and must win kiddies will have all joined the winning factions making it no fun for guys like me who are trying to have fun and roleplay the part of a faction through good and bad.

Then the game dies or is just pve.

• Like 4

If the devs allow players to switch sides as easy as they can now you are right. Within a few months all the try hards and must win kiddies will have all joined the winning factions making it no fun for guys like me who are trying to have fun and roleplay the part of a faction through good and bad.

Then the game dies or is just pve.

I really do not think you have anything to worry about. Crafting and trading will still flourish but the methods in doing so will be different than the current state of the game.

With the strategic placement of free ports at regional borders will, also, changes the current warrior strategy. I believe you will as much action as before but going about getting into this action will be different compared to how you are currently doing it.

As I mentioned in prior post, these are building blocks toward the final outcome. As hard as it may be to accomplish something of our goals, it may be the easiest aspect of the game and what is ahead may be even tougher to accomplish. Who knows. What is guaranteed is there will be changes and growing pains. It's time to open our minds to unforeseen opportunities.

• Like 2

Observations from a 1 month normal life newb.

Changing the ports is fine. It balances poorer performing nations a bit. Losing some free ports will I think focus the pvp a bit BUT:

I don't join clans, I prefer to be a bit more RPG and Solo it. Sure I join the larger battles (in a much smaller ship) and I will scout the enemy approaches etc but my vision of play is realistic rpg pvp.

In a reasonable sized ship,

And I want to be able to sail off and attack the enemies in their own waters like a swash buckling privateer.

I would have liked a pirate life but that does not exist in this game because I would attack other pirates and that means pirate clans would go out of their way to hunt me down and strangle the game ( by this I mean pirates are unrealisticly organised ) I would attack any shipping I fancied big or small and I would and do only one attack and live by a code of fair morales, IE: if I was evaded then we'll Done you escape

The pirates at present are a nation of clans which I think is a shame (and that's not an attack I actually applaud them for their organised aggression).

So a respectable, roguish privateer for me.

Now.....

I am British, but I would happily support another smaller nation by sailing in their waters and privateering for them against their worst enemies etc but the game has no mechanism for this as such so I use long distance freeports to facilitate this.

There is nothing so nerve tingling as sailing far from home with little or no support.

I like the idea of fighting for smaller nations, letters of Mark maybe?

More importantly the 20 + 1st rate mass attacks by clans on essentially other clans bores me stupid and will definitely put of new players.

One simple numpty who was scared yet again by the SORRY clan approaching KPR shouted (used capitals)

"If you have not got a fully crewed SOL stay off the nation Blog!"

At some poor newb who asked what was going on.

For this game to survive and thrive Clans need to be tempered a bit, solo play rewarded and players more adventurous after all it is the age of Sail!!

Freeports allow privateers to operate if restricted to much you may find clan camping at the fewer freeports.

Edited by Blue Tooth
  • Like 5

So as a new player what do you think of the Rookie player area coming in to the Bahamas?

I think it will suit those that need it.

Players have very different styles and speeds at which they learn.

Some will thrive with a slower learning curve against fellow rookies and will benefit from mistakes not being brutally punished and others will thrive on the harsh PVP which exists now.

I was the latter and sailed from KPR and Port Antonio so I learned very fast but it was confusing and daunting seeing all these mammoth ships engaged in mammoth battles.

But I think its a great idea for there to be a choice of whether you use the rookie area or not, which I think is what is proposed?

What I don't understand is why some people are against it. If you dont like it, don't use it, but don't deny it to those that do wish to use it.

Edited by Blue Tooth
  • Like 3

Clans are problem not only for new players. I try join 1 and lissen: "all crafting h for clan, crafting for himself is forbiden, half gold, minimum ... is for clan, you must sail with clan evry day. All resource, materials for clan". What? I'm player, not a slave. Devs give clans much to much power. And clans kills the game. Ganking new players, not helping ppl from nations, blocking PB for single players, making stupid politics for personal gain. And devs encurage for this making content for clans, and no contents for solo play. Stop this or this game be killed as many before. I understand "player based" idea, but this work only in teory. Reality is, if in game be oportunity to bully another player, head of big clans be using position for more power. This was history in real word, and this was end of many MMO games. Now many players join clans becose has no other option, want play, and for no clan members is no content. And from time when i start play is worse. Now we lissen about new PB mechanics, new economy and crafting - and all informations say - "more dificult, not single player can bulid, less bigest battle...", all for clans. This PB system is not optimal, but 10 person group can buy flag and try cap port, especialy shallow. In new system no one outside clans even can try. Big content for 10% players, and loss for 90%. Event - is for big group. New ships - only from event - for big group. All content added recently is for clans. Politics - same. And even majority not vote for war, clan may atack, and make war. Now this game is game of ganking. Ganking single players, ganking single nations. Is not balanced - and this help clans in bulling ppl to, you want sail, you need protection - is the mob rule. 

• Like 3

Clans are problem not only for new players. I try join 1 and lissen: "all crafting h for clan, crafting for himself is forbiden, half gold, minimum ... is for clan, you must sail with clan evry day. All resource, materials for clan". What? I'm player, not a slave. Devs give clans much to much power. And clans kills the game. Ganking new players, not helping ppl from nations, blocking PB for single players, making stupid politics for personal gain. And devs encurage for this making content for clans, and no contents for solo play. Stop this or this game be killed as many before. I understand "player based" idea, but this work only in teory. Reality is, if in game be oportunity to bully another player, head of big clans be using position for more power. This was history in real word, and this was end of many MMO games. Now many players join clans becose has no other option, want play, and for no clan members is no content. And from time when i start play is worse. Now we lissen about new PB mechanics, new economy and crafting - and all informations say - "more dificult, not single player can bulid, less bigest battle...", all for clans. This PB system is not optimal, but 10 person group can buy flag and try cap port, especialy shallow. In new system no one outside clans even can try. Big content for 10% players, and loss for 90%. Event - is for big group. New ships - only from event - for big group. All content added recently is for clans. Politics - same. And even majority not vote for war, clan may atack, and make war. Now this game is game of ganking. Ganking single players, ganking single nations. Is not balanced - and this help clans in bulling ppl to, you want sail, you need protection - is the mob rule.

There are nice clan you will like and there are others. You will have to find one that fits to your style.

I have never joint a clan, but there are quite often groups formed for certain tasks.

• Like 1

I'm not sure we're playing the same game.  NA is much less clan-focused than any other MMO I've played.  Yes, it encourages group play, but that's not the same as clan-exclusive play.  Perhaps it's your particular nation/server environment.  I can tell you that PvP1 Britain is nothing remotely like what you describe.  At all.  Sure, there's big clans, small clans, and many non-clan players.  But everyone just groups up and plays, not paying attention to clan tags in the least. 

"In new system no one outside clans even can try.  Big content for 10% players, and loss for 90%."  Nothing can be further from the truth.  I'd expect that the new regional hostility mechanics, plus the advance notice and fewer number of Port Battles will mean not only that everyone can contribute, but will be vitally needed to do so.   Yes, the fights will be bigger...big enough that no single clan could do it on their own, and it will require a national-level effort to get things done.

Recent politics changes are "for clans"?  So, before the last patch, diplomacy and national agreements were made by a small number of players largely outside the game, in forums and teamspeak.  Since the last patch, however, we have an in-game voting system whereby every player votes allies/enemies.   If anything, this has vastly decreased the influence of clans upon alliance agreements.

• Like 4

There are nice clan you will like and there are others. You will have to find one that fits to your style.

I have never joint a clan, but there are quite often groups formed for certain tasks.

Yah I did a lot of clan hunting before I pcked UNKN when I was US and it was mainly cause one of my clan mates i played with in WoT.    Since going pirtes UNKN kinda got inactive so I switchted to BLACK.    There are going to be good clans and bad clans.

Edit to shorten post 

Yah man that was a bad clan than.   Any clan I have been in we give ships pretty much free to clan mates and if we ask for anything it's just to help with the mats and nots.   I left EU server kinda cause there was some very rude clans in the US nation at the time and I didn't like that feel.   So you will all ways have those types around.  Just look for a better more laid back clan.

Very hard to follow what youre saying but looks like you chose a bad clan or clans. Seek a,small family style clan or make your own or play solo.

Yah nothing wrong with solo play.  I did it for a long time before I ever got into a clan and only did so cause I wanted to check out the PB mechanics and it was easier to get into the bigger ships and do so with a clan.

• Like 2

I too have had bad experiences with clans. I have gone totally solo in this game on all four/three servers (there were four at one time for testing). Amazing on how far you can go. It has taken months of play to raise to the highest craft level. I have crafted ships up to 2nd rate and finally last week got my last 1st rate BP. With rank attained to date, I have the last one still to attain. I have financially done well on PvE, PvP1 and just starting up on PvP2 a couple months ago and starting to make decent headway now.

Investing in time and not be in a rush you can accomplish anything a clan can without the political or dictatorship of a group. You will meet good people online, become friends and maintain a solo experience. You can experience what clan say they offer through your own network of friends online. No need to join anything.

Yes, there are some real crappie clans out there I wouldn't give the time of day to, but I don't have to play near the area they like to be. If they come into my area I can go on strike. I can sit in port so my number is added to the population but not in the water for them to gank. Imagine how frustrating it is for them to see numbers but not see any targets.

They will be here winning for ways to force more players on to their server of choice. LOL

Stay positive there is a lot of enjoyment in this game.

• Like 2

Investing in time and not be in a rush you can accomplish anything a clan can without the political or dictatorship of a group. You will meet good people online, become friends and maintain a solo experience. You can experience what clan say they offer through your own network of friends online. No need to join anything.

Well said.  This is one major aspect of NA that I really like.  I have a clan and was also in another one prior, but I like that it is an option not a necessity.

• Like 3

I can tell you what it was in my clan regarding LH:

We collected the LH but not forced. Why did we do that?

First: The goods used to craft the materials came from the Clanwarehouse. So the player were able to raise his crafting level without spending money. Yes you were able to trade those but we asked them to please try to keep them inside the clan. Money is nothing and LH are needed at any time.

Secondly: Cause we were able to not "buy" those LH we were able to offer small prices for almost any ship. There was no fee for the ship only the "producing" goods prices. We organised the whole clan so that we had every ressource at the amount we needed to build ships. Thus those players got only a bit money as compensation for their LH / Ressources.

But: These things made it possible to build ships extremely fast and cheap. The producing costs in the clan were only 100k for a Victory. The money for the ship went into the clan warehouse. Also we were able to craft the needed upgrades directly cause we worked hand to hand.

So every member was able to order his ship and as soon as it was build he paid the small amount to get his hands on it.  (Yeah we also made exeptions for those which needed their ship faster but it was fine the way it was).  This was way better as any other system ive seen in this game at that point.

Edit:

The more I read, the less I understand what you are talking about.

1) Why can no one else try?

2) You can also get those event ships - Last event I visited I was alone there but I was able to "sneak" one chest.

3) The diplomancy was in the hands of clans even before (Council) but now you can directly take part in it by vote. Sure, the council talks about it and mostly decides those even before you have to vote but now your vote counts! Not clan power, this is power for the player directly.

4) for 10% players and 90% loss? Most players are in clan so even if you talk about it, this should be directly the other way around so: 90% for the mayority 10% for the solo players.

5) Even if you got one terrible clan, that doesnt have to mean that every clan has the same conditions. To play not in a Clan is your decision but dont blame the others which decided otherwise!

Are you trying to troll around?

Edited by Twig
  • Like 1

Haven't been in a clan for several months now (or, well, not a functional one), and it's working out just fine even for endgame content.

If you read carefully last Developers posts labeled as "Important" you will note it references  15-25 days to patch .... so 28Sept-8Oct

Oct 4th ... no patch.

Still on track to release on or before the 8th?

Will we get a "mini-notice" the day before, on log-in screen, stating it will occur over the "next" maintenance action? - that would be very welcomed.

Thanks,

-Yank/BvW