Game-Labs Forum

Port changes next content patch - September

If they did that, I would probably stop playing this game. I am thinking of doing that, as it is.

This game will morph over the next few months before release, maybe a lot too.  I think I will keep playing till then if only just to see what happens.  You could take a break if you wanted till the port reset settles down?  Of course, the release of Civ 6 is gonna put a hurtin' on my NA gameplay I think.  ;) 

Admin said this:

So they've made the effort to save us most losses, but they can't cater to all your assets and complaints WT.  If you lose assets get over it and re-acquire them the same way you were able to do it the first time.  This is alpha, accept that you will lose things before this goes final release.  If you can't accept that, you should try a different game.

If you want to minimize your losses then you'll simply need to plan ahead like everyone else.  Move your ships where it's smart, craft your production building materials night before the reset, and relocate, sell, or use other assets which are at stake before the port reset.  Anything else, accept it and move on.

Oh, I'd LOVE to know where "smart" is.

Please do not move Key West.    There is no logic in this move at all.     Go look at history.  Go to the islands and you will see that this makes no sense at all.   If you make this move.  I am forced to quit this game forever as I do not see how SPAIN can survive let alone put up a duke fest with the British.  

This is a wrong and bad move both historically and game wise.    I have been a beta tester for many games but if this is what you do to games near release then I will have no part in this game.

Please do not move Key West.    There is no logic in this move at all.     Go look at history.  Go to the islands and you will see that this makes no sense at all.   If you make this move.  I am forced to quit this game forever as I do not see how SPAIN can survive let alone put up a duke fest with the British.  

This is a wrong and bad move both historically and game wise.    I have been a beta tester for many games but if this is what you do to games near release then I will have no part in this game.

The logic is to move freeports to the edges of regions, like with all other freeports. It is a likely possibility that a lot of free towns will be removed entirely in one of the next patches.

I doubt anyway that Spain's entire survival is reliant upon a single port. 

Also, the game is in Alpha. They are still adding, changing and testing content.

If they did that, I would probably stop playing this game. I am thinking of doing that, as it is.

Than ALPHA testing isn't for you man.  I done tons of testing and most games do complete wipes before live.  They are going to let us keep ur XP Ranka nd Crafting ranks.  That is way more than any other game I been on that might of gave you a title or a skin for your help testing.   

This game will morph over the next few months before release, maybe a lot too.  I think I will keep playing till then if only just to see what happens.  You could take a break if you wanted till the port reset settles down?  Of course, the release of Civ 6 is gonna put a hurtin' on my NA gameplay I think.  ;)

This is why I level up so slow  cause I would take break off until new content came out and only play like a week at a time between each patches until recently a month ago I gotten really active cause there is so much mroe to do and I'm into PvP and PB's now which I never did before.  I think the content is looking really good right now, but for some it might be just to pop in and see what is going on every patch until release.   People forget this is an EA ALPHA testing so we are testers here for them until the game comes out.  They don't have to give us anything right now or even on release/live.  All we did was pre-order a game they are letting us Test and help create better content for.  Every game I been on that had a good player test group turned out good on release compared to those that had little to no player feed back before release.  Even if they where closed testers.  Also remember this game is a very small dev team and we are helping them out big time by doing this testing for them for free (well actually WE paid to test instead of getting paid).

I would be just fine with a complete wipe at release to be honest and start on the same grounds as any other new player.  Though I understand this is there way paying us back.  Though I just hope we get more than just a basic cutter to start the grind at at Max rank.  I done that as a Lt Com when I switched from EU to US server and grinding with a Basic Cutter blows at that rank until you get the credits or capture a bigger ship.   And I did that switch back when you couldn't capture war ships.

• Like 2

Please do not move Key West..[snip]..If you make this move.  I am forced to quit this game forever as I do not see how SPAIN can survive...[etc].

Okay, I'll concede that I haven't been in/out of Key West and La Tortuga often enough to claim close familiarity with their advantages/disadvantages relative to La Habana and the northwest Cuba coast.

But come on, surely you're greatly exaggerating the negative impact (if any)?

What can possibly be so bad about this shift that it threatens the viability of a nation?  I'm not refuting or dismissing (yet); genuinely curious as to the rationale of your statement.  Right now I find your reaction rather mystifying...and, without speaking for anyone else, I doubt I'm the only one.  Please educate us.

well.   Since the devs are refusing to put protections zone in free ports ,   Entering and exiting Las Tortugas will be a nightmare and a huge bonus for those gankers sitting at port.

So..This will eliminate all trading outside of Habana as it will be too easy to tag a trader coming into Las Tortugas while sitting at port.

Either put a protection zone in free towns as they should be.   No Free town would allow ships to attack other ships and be able to return back to port.    Either eliminate warships from Free Towns , or put protection zones for free towns or ...eliminate them all.  

Besides, there wasn't even a town there in Las Tortugas back in 1812. 

What el loco says is basically correct: the conformation of the shallows around las Tortugas allows easy trade hunting with no effort at all (at least against deep water traders ships). While in key west you can take a indiaman/gros ventre, get in the OS, and go straight south for La Habana (or north if you are coming from La Habana), in las tortugas you have to take a long trip around the shallows just to get in the mouth of any trinco/reno/consti that exits from the port. And in this round - this is very important - except in the case in which you do not have winds from west you will get caught in irons at least once.

The only effective countermeasure will be using traders brig, but - yet - this will hinder the efficency of the trading to the spanish capital.

My idea is that La Tortugas would be ok if the conformation of the shallows allows easier access also from south (I mean: since las tortugas is supposed to be the free town that "serves" the spanish capital, it would be odd that it has easy access from north and no access from south).

Edited by victor
  • Like 1

well.   Since the devs are refusing to put protections zone in free ports ,   Entering and exiting Las Tortugas will be a nightmare and a huge bonus for those gankers sitting at port.

So..This will eliminate all trading outside of Habana as it will be too easy to tag a trader coming into Las Tortugas while sitting at port.  [etc]

What el loco says is basically correct: the conformation of the shallows around las Tortugas allows easy trade hunting with no effort at all  [etc]

Thanks guys for the responses.  I'm still skeptical that it threatens the very survival of Spain, but I understand the concern now.  And if I were Spanish and relied upon Key West as a trade node into La Habana, I probably wouldn't be very happy about the change either.

Hey Devs, ANY ETA plan for new patch????!  its sept. 20. already.... and my eco build in ally ports...i need a bit time to transport !

If you read carefully last Developers posts labeled as "Important" you will note it references  15-25 days to patch .... so 28Sept-8Oct

Nice ... any chance of moving the pirate capital ... its a bad location for our role.  Kidd's Harbour would be much better, that's just my opinion for many different reasons.  One of which would be, to get the port battle mentality out of pirate brains. 

The only way I would support a capital move would be Kidd's Harbour for pretty much that reason.  Get us out of the PB mentatlity and make it extra hard for them to take our last region.  I really hope the new Pirate mechanics are going to be more like a raiding system when we get them than what the Nationals have.  Than that way they can have little pockets that are allways pirates and are pretty much free for all danger zones to enter since they can't be captured.

• Like 3

So..This will eliminate all trading outside of Habana as it will be too easy to tag a trader coming into Las Tortugas while sitting at port.

Either put a protection zone in free towns as they should be.   No Free town would allow ships to attack other ships and be able to return back to port.    Either eliminate warships from Free Towns , or put protection zones for free towns or ...eliminate them all.  

Besides, there wasn't even a town there in Las Tortugas back in 1812. 

I agre free ports now are operation base, not neutral. I think need be enemy for all, only trader with smugler can enter, eventualy when supply be need for crew, in free port warship can buy food, but not dock. Now free ports enable attaking from inside of enemy space, this is not historicaly correct, and not logical. If France has base tor warships in port, is not free port, is french base, and first target for enemy. In war laws is term, from XVII century, in neutral ports warships from figghting sides can stay only short time, must annouce when sailing out, and this information is send to the enemy.

Edited by Gobur

A few historical freetowns will remain anyway. What will become of freetowns in general probably isn't decided. But reducing the number of freetowns significantly will work to concentrate more of the free town PvP in fewer places making PvP easier to find there. However most PvP, should be concentrated on borders between enemy regions to drive conquest. And it will mean both sides will have easy access to the PvP area as they both have ports with outposts at the front. While it also reduces the capital waters ganking.

• Like 3

With the coming regions model and the possibility of conquering the capitals, the smaller nations will most likely be the first victims and be pressed in an never-ending alliance. Don't know if that was the intention of the devs.

Maybe time for population to change nations and look forward to a new world :)

Bigger population doesn't mean they will be able to provoke enough hostility if all they do is grazing sheep and tending farms.