Game-Labs Forum

Discussion - Player ship selection 1st Half 2016

jodgi

"Real Carlos" Spanish Ship of Line (112 guns). The "primitive" version of the Santisima Trinidad

Image4.jpg

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/7363-real-carlos-spanish-ship-of-line-112-guns-the-primitive-version-of-the-santisima-trinidad/

Do we really need another First Rate in the game?  Especially one that is so similar to Santissima?  I'd like to see a broader selection of 4-6th rates myself.

• Like 1

Eventually, we'll need more 1st Rates. Three just isn't going to be enough; we'll need more variety. For now, though, no, I don't think we need another 1st Rate. I'm in favor of ship-rigged corvettes and light frigates, and 3rd rates, myself. I wouldn't be against a modern (aka Napoleonic Era) 4th rate SoL, though. Ingermanland's a little old for me.  

I may as well also say that I don't think we're in dire need of more light ships, either: We've got a bunch of them already. I don't mind the thought of getting more of them later, but the truth is that I'm kinda expecting to just grind though anything smaller than the Niagara or a corvette, so I'd rather see some of the other size ranges get fleshed out more first. 

Edited by Arvenski

If you don´t want ships which have never been built, then you´d need to remove the yacht and the Cherubim, too ;)

Submitting fictionnal ships, as long as they have a credible design, should be possible, in my opinion.

Edited by Malachi
  • Like 4

Eventually, we'll need more 1st Rates. Three just isn't going to be enough; we'll need more variety. For now, though, no, I don't think we need another 1st Rate. I'm in favor of ship-rigged corvettes and light frigates, and 3rd rates, myself. I wouldn't be against a modern (aka Napoleonic Era) 4th rate SoL, though. Ingermanland's a little old for me.  

I may as well also say that I don't think we're in dire need of more light ships, either: We've got a bunch of them already. I don't mind the thought of getting more of them later, but the truth is that I'm kinda expecting to just grind though anything smaller than the Niagara or a corvette, so I'd rather see some of the other size ranges get fleshed out more first. 

Eventually, we will have more of (most of) everything. And I like it : we need everything...

From  Development plans until Early Access release : http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/7231-development-plans-until-early-access-release/

Current ship line up

·      Unarmed and armed traders: (2 new ships planned, 2 possible)

·      Unrated 8-16 guns: Lynx, Cutter, Pickle, Yacht, Privateer

·      6th rates 16-26 guns: Brig, Navy Brig, Snow, Mercury, Cerberus (3 new ships planned)

·      5th rates 26-50 guns: Renomee, Surprise, Frigate and Variants, Belle Poule, Trincomalee (3 new ships planned)

·      4th rates 50-64 guns: Constitution (2 new ships planned)

·      3rd rates 64-80 guns: 74, Bellona (2 new ships planned)

·      2nd rates 80-100 guns: St. Paul (3 new ships planned)

·      1st rates 100-140 guns: Victory, Santisima (1 new ship planned)

I guess Player ship selection is an opportunity to vote for a "coup de coeur", that is a couple of favorite ships.

Till now one of mine is the spanish corvette Descubierta : http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/6819-spanish-corvette-descubierta/

PS : See above : we won't have any new unrated 8-16 gun ship. If we want one, we'll have to choose her during Player ship selection...

Edited by LeBoiteux

I agree with this, however, we need more small ships to make the new player experience easier.  They aren't necessarily for players, but mostly npcs that new players can get to know the game against.

Does anyone else think that the Melampus looks similar to the Trincomalee?

Like Trincomalee after being deliberately distorted to be as ugly as possible. :P

Look at the proportions of the topsides bulwarks. They extend for ages over those enormous carronade gunports. And the beakhead too is not a very pleasing shape, with the same sort of unfortunate bulkhead at the bows that Connie and Merc. I'd bet that she underwent a considerable refit sometime after 1800.

But other than those details, most 18-pounder frigates look very similar.

am i the only one who is wondering why there is a non-existing ship, Real Carlos Spanish Ship of Line (112 guns), in the player selection thread?

I mean, she was never build as she is presented there, so why present her in the first place?

our ST is a ghost ship now? 

Unknown

Russian small frigate / corvette

ca. 1805-1809 (?), 104 ft

large.jpg

http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/83719.html

Plan description

"The ship is pierced for 20 guns on the upper deck. However, the number of guns mounted on the quarterdeck has been altered on the plan. It looks to have had six guns each side, but the alterations now show four each side." (RMG)

Please no more russians ships!!!!