Game-Labs Forum

Discussion - Player ship selection 1st Half 2016

jodgi

Dutch 40-gun Eastindiamen is coming, that good enough?

Yes, that should do nicely :)

Brb buying port near dutch capital ;)

The Dutch indiaman Amsterdam is indeed listed as 42 guns. However, this number gives a false impression. The actual armament is: 42 8 x 12pdr, 16 x 8pdr, 8 x 4pdr, 10 swivel guns. So maybe calling her a 24 gun indiaman would give a better impression of her capabilities.

Cheers,

Brigand

The Dutch indiaman Amsterdam is indeed listed as 42 guns. However, this number gives a false impression. The actual armament is: 42 8 x 12pdr, 16 x 8pdr, 8 x 4pdr, 10 swivel guns. So maybe calling her a 24 gun indiaman would give a better impression of her capabilities.

Cheers,

Brigand

It might be the lack of my knowledge, but inst she a true 42 gunner?

She was pierced for 21 guns aside, besides the swivels.

It might be the lack of my knowledge, but inst she a true 42 gunner?

She was pierced for 21 guns aside, besides the swivels.

She was made to look like a 42 gun ship, yes. In reality, most gun ports were mere ventilation holes ('windows') which did not have room behind them to accommodate a gun.

Researching the Amsterdam is somewhat difficult because there is a 'replica' floating around (literally) which was build to be A 'visitor friendly' B match 'visitor expectations'.

However, the indiaman named Amsterdam in Naval Action is actually not the Amsterdam at all (not the original, nor the 'replica') but the Chapman generic indiamen instead.

~Brigand

• 2 weeks later...

maybe we can find something that sticks out of the rest. i wonder if there are plans for that 4masted french Barg with 24x 6lb or 12x12lb +4x9lb from 1801.

Demerliac, Nomenclature des navires français de 1800 à 1815, p.285, N°2274., says:

"Son plan a été publié dans "Les Clippers Français" de Claude et Jacqueline Briot page 18."

I don't have the book but it's easy to find, e.g. here:

http://www.amazon.fr/Clippers-fran%C3%A7ais-histoire-voiliers-commerce/dp/2353570518/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447180923&sr=8-1&keywords=les+clippers+francais

• Like 2

L'Invention is a privater ship, the first modern with four masts in 1799.

One deck with 28-guns: 26-guns of 6-pdr and 2 carronade of 12-pdr.

133´ of lenght and lean frame. Simple decor style of frigates of the late eighteenth century.

post-5241-0-52068400-1447189354_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

133´ of lenght and lean frame. Simple decor style of frigates of the late eighteenth century.

You saved me a lot of work finding those plans, I was planning on doing some research to find them later for the post http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/7607-four-masted-ships/as we were discussing L'Invention over there as well. Hairy Fishnuts posted this painting of it over there yesterday.I would love to see this beautiful ship added to the game

06-01.jpg

• Like 1

Excellent Surcouf!  Love it!

On another note, I've been doing some research into American ships of the line other than the USS Pennsylvania, and I've come very close to obtaining plans for certain ships such as the America, Ohio, Franklin, and Columbus (best progress so far is written dimensions and sketched draughts).  I've given what progress I've made to other members of the forums here, and we're putting our heads together to see what we can accomplish to get the American ships of the line into the playing field.

Note: While American ships of the line never actually engaged in combat with another ship, they did play an integral part in the historic "show of force".  Several such ships did serve American interests in the Pacific, as well as intimidation of the Barbary Pirates in the Mediterranean.  Hope that's enough evidence that there should be at least one American two decker in the game.

I all rady posted this ship, so i will just link to the post

Dannebroge - Danish LineShip, 1710

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/4185-dannebroge-danish-lineship-1710/?hl=dannebroge

plz add  :)

Ships have to be posted in that Selection thread, not here : http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/7306-player-ship-selection-1st-half-2016/page-7

Do you mean that you want someone to do it for you ?

Edited by LeBoiteux

pennsylvania yes but we are talking about the 74's launched before the hardlimit wich had not the added gun decks like santisima.

i allways thinking ohio was an 104gun first rate at launch, only to find out she was an 74 with added decks like the Trinidad and another SPanish 80gun converted to an 100g first rate.

Dannebroge - Danish LineShip, 1710

I all ready made a very detailed post about this ship so i will juust link to that :=)

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/4185-dannebroge-danish-lineship-1710/?hl=dannebroge

Plz add :)

Please copy paste most of your original thread to the Player Selection Thread.

Your ship is interesting but right now, your post isn't enhanced.

You have to post the plans (and at least a pic) of your ship in the player ship selection. No link, please !!! It just takes 2 minutes of easy work. As soon as you do that, I'll add a like to your post because your ship is interesting. :)

Proposals could include:

•  
  • Wooden (old or new) models of the ship or ships of the same class (sister ships)
  • Drawings (old or new) of the ship or the ship of the similar class (sister ships) 
  • Tech drawings if any

Something like :

Ship Name

Characteristics

xxxxxxxx Copy / Paste xxxxx

Untitled-Scanned-02-716959.jpg

HS44Pvp.jpg

Link to your original thread

Edited by LeBoiteux