Game-Labs Forum

Questions to developers

11 minutes ago, Sovereign said:

I would like to humbly request information about the final wipe. I have played NA through many wipes and don't mind them but since we are close to release and the final wipe I want to consider what is worth putting time into and what isn't. I played the new patch and tested it extensively but I think it can only be fully enjoyable with a wipe since many people hoarded ridiculous amounts of currency, resources and good ships with stacked mods.  I play the game first and foremost for the fun and entertainment of PvP but I don't think anyone can deny that NA is grindy and time consuming AF. With the latest patch and teleport fees etc. it only got worse in this regard. 

So this is my reason for asking this. I am willing to put the time into NA, because I love the game but only for my progress to remain - I am not Sysiphus after all. I thus need to know what progress will remain after the wipe since we do not know the exact date yet. In my opinion with the last patch the game got a bit too grindy and time consuming for testing only. 

So please let me know this, so I can consider accordingly:

What will definitely be wiped?

What will maybe be wiped?

What will definitely not be wiped?

I would greatly appreciate an honest answer. Thank you.

@admin  

+ What will happen with the Tutorial rewards after wipe. Do we get them in Reedemebles or do we have to do it again? 

1 hour ago, Sovereign said:

I would like to humbly request information about the final wipe. I have played NA through many wipes and don't mind them but since we are close to release and the final wipe I want to consider what is worth putting time into and what isn't. I played the new patch and tested it extensively but I think it can only be fully enjoyable with a wipe since many people hoarded ridiculous amounts of currency, resources and good ships with stacked mods.  I play the game first and foremost for the fun and entertainment of PvP but I don't think anyone can deny that NA is grindy and time consuming AF. With the latest patch and teleport fees etc. it only got worse in this regard. 

So this is my reason for asking this. I am willing to put the time into NA, because I love the game but only for my progress to remain - I am not Sysiphus after all. I thus need to know what progress will remain after the wipe since we do not know the exact date yet. In my opinion with the last patch the game got a bit too grindy and time consuming for testing only. 

So please let me know this, so I can consider accordingly:

What will definitely be wiped?

What will maybe be wiped?

What will definitely not be wiped?

I would greatly appreciate an honest answer. Thank you.

@admin  

there will be a post on wipes soon

• Like 3

If we're aiming at getting new players in the game, the wipe should be 100% full, with no exceptions.

Just think about all this reactions when someone new buys the game on a release day, convinced everyone is starting the same, but then gets attacked with someone on a Endymion/Trincomalee straight away, only because he kept his exp for crew numbers...

Not good.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, OjK said:

If we're aiming at getting new players in the game, the wipe should be 100% full, with no exceptions.

Just think about all this reactions when someone new buys the game on a release day, convinced everyone is starting the same, but then gets attacked with someone on a Endymion/Trincomalee straight away, only because he kept his exp for crew numbers...

Not good.

First of all they promised we could keep exp, crafting, ship knowledge and books. But they could ofc go back on there words. 

A new player comming in after a month will stil be set back. Ore you suggest we every 3 month just wipe all? Ore is it just for the release?

My guess is it would kill even more of the player base. But hey that proberbly will be a minor problem, with all the new comming in.

We get that  advantage because we earned it during testing, how many of the new players can claim that?

Edited by staun

48 minutes ago, OjK said:

Not good.

Full wipe will only even out the situation for a week or two. After a month it will be the same again and new players will come to a living diverse world with variety of enemies. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, admin said:

Full wipe will only even out the situation for a week or two. After a month it will be the same again and new players will come to a living diverse world with variety of enemies. 

I think only ships, resources and the real currency need a wipe. Some ships still have stacked mods or 2x trim and other advantages that are no longer possible to achieve and many spammed ships when they were cheap to get their clan a fleet of golden 5/5. Also many still sit on exploit reals from tow to port trading and other shenanigans coupled with months of regular afk trading with low server pop and no risk etc. ... 

I'd welcome unlocks and xp of any kind to not get wiped, including learned books. Even if you increase ship unlock xp, please keep the amount we gathered already and add it to the new progress.

8 minutes ago, Barbancourt said:

Haven't we learned this lesson yet?  The less people know the better. 

true.. but in terms of wipes its better to clear expectations early (even if it is causes trouble) - better to know in advance.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OjK said:

Not good.

And imagine those who have grinded XP and books for two years straight. Ships can be wiped, materials and currency can be wiped too. By the time new players learn what XP and Books do to performance, it will be too late for them to feel frustration 

Edit: Ok, maybe books can be an advantage as that could count as a material but definitely not ship knowledge. 

Edited by HMS Victory

5 hours ago, OjK said:

Not good.

Exactly.....

The wipe should completely level the playing field so new players and the Rear Admirals are closer to each other in ships and money....

Best way to wipe this is to wipe all 1-3rd rate ships from the game and give no compensation and wipe any reals above 25k!

Alternatively a 50% wipe to a players real bank should hit the wealthy players more! 

3 hours ago, HMS Victory said:

And imagine those who have grinded XP and books for two years straight. Ships can be wiped, materials and currency can be wiped too. By the time new players learn what XP and Books do to performance, it will be too late for them to feel frustration 

Edit: Ok, maybe books can be an advantage as that could count as a material but definitely not ship knowledge. 

I don’t have to imagine, personally I’d rather start with a level playing field for all , the experience I’ve learnt from playing the game should be my only reward.

@pewpewforall.

• Like 5

On 11/8/2018 at 2:10 PM, Tac said:

I don’t have to imagine, personally I’d rather start with a level playing field for all , the experience I’ve learnt from playing the game should be my only reward.

@pewpewforall.

Truth

• Like 1

On 11/8/2018 at 10:18 AM, admin said:

So why do it at all, if the effect is such short-timed and some feel sad their golden class ship, only one of its kind in a year of playing before, was taken away from them?

• Like 1

Will we see 7th-6th rate Ship DLC soon  ?

(not talking here about those (horrid) permit dlcs 🙂)

Actually quite a lot of 7th-6th Rates in game, but all too modern-looking (except for the Yacht). Need more ones with good-looking and older decoration. Lots of suggestions in NA shipyard.

(And now the trendy magic word : it would be some sort of 'cosmetics DLCs (older beautiful ships ≠ better)' 😀)

Would it ruin NA economy ?

Would it stimulate the Pavlovian conditioning : 'Ship DLC = OP, OP...' ?

Edited by LeBoiteux

1 hour ago, admin said:

I have NO PLANS WHATSOEVER to dumb down the game to the so called mass market appeal and casual crowd. This game is not for everyone. And some people will not like it.

Agreed, BUT most remaining active players have been playing/testing NA in low populated server(s) for years.

Most of those players have contributed to reach today's NA configuration, which is somehow an "expert" level that suits the existing limited player base.

"Expert" means : High amount of hours to climb the progress scale as well as high level of skill to sail ships at their best.

I got no idea about ideal solution to secure a post release "reasonable War server population", but I do know that without reaching a greater player population on a long run, a post release NA will be very disapointing. Unless you assume that NA has always been designed for a few hundreds of passionated players.

Thx for your possible further clarification

@admin Would you consider increasing the chance for bonus slots and trims for ship crafting in free ports to match the one of capturable ports? What is the reason for free ports having a lower chance? Seems like it should have the highest even...

1. There are some capturable ports that are actually in a reinforcement zone and thus are safer than free towns in every regard. Why should they be better for crafting than free towns?

2. Free towns have no resource production capabilities ( e.g. oak, fir or stone buildings ) - you have to ship everything there and the port is available to all, making it very dangerous. High risk should yield high reward.

3. Encouraging people to build shipyards and the corresponding forgery in free towns, promotes a healthy economy, piracy around free towns and Patrol Zone PvP, due to having more cheap ships available ( 3/5 standards that the crafters want to get rid of without tow cost ). Free towns have 10% tax, so turning them into economy and trading hubs adds more gold / real sinks.

Seems perfect to me. The reason I am asking is that I think it would be very nice to play as pirate out of free towns and increase PvP activity around free ports even further.

• Like 1

Have the developers considered hiring an extra developer or 2 temporarily to get more features added to the game? If so, what is preventing you from doing so? 

Many suggestions get shot down because this is an "indie" game with "only 2 developers working on the game". I'm sure something like a kickstarter campaign could raise a fair share of extra money to hire temporary help to help implement certain features that otherwise will never get developed. 

There are many players who have thousands of hours of game time and have already spent over $100 on the game already. Hell, some players play this game more hours per week than a full time job. I've even talked to multiple naval action players who have $1000+ in ships in Star Citizen and that game is barely playable. 

Just a thought. 

On 7/22/2013 at 10:34 AM, Cherry Ice Cream said:

That's what i liked to know! Thx for answer, can i add 1 more question? How You are going to promote game? 

Buy dropping the price to $15 starting today on Steam!

Although, it feels more like an act of desperation when the main game costs less than the DLC's!

Have a feeling the latest changes are'nt getting the new players to buy this anymore!

On 11/23/2018 at 8:40 AM, Porpoise said:

@admin How will you solve the Le Requin problem???

Well if I attempt to answer this question reasonably, perhaps they should "solve" it with a Requin/anti-Requin Tutorial.  You get to pilot a Requin against e.g. a Cerberus, and then you get to pilot the e.g. Cerberus against a Requin.  (obviously the AI is a limited opponent, but they 'd have to program it to do "Requin things")  Try it both ways, as many times as you want, and learn how to do something about it without any loss or complications.

Edited by Barbancourt