Game-Labs Forum

Sealed Bottles?

Jack Spencer

Question

What happened to Sealed Bottles. I started sailing PvP right after the "Final Release." I have reached the rank of Master Commander. During that time I have sailed about 90% of my time in cargo/passenger missions in TLynx and TBrigs, fishing the entire journey. In all that time I have never received a sealed bottle. Am I just unlucky or is the game broken?

• Like 3

22 answers to this question

Fish are caught on average every 160 seconds.

Thus, in one hour, you get 22 messages about fishing.

Now let's look at the loot table that applies to fishing. For example Atlantic Bays Fishing Loot Table (id= 580 )

Item Chance
Catfish 1
Bull Shark 0.05
Barracuda 0.2
Drum 0.3
Eel 0.05
Needlefish 1
Smooth Hammerhead Shark 0.05
Sealed Bottle 0.013
Salt 1

P.S.

My record is about 40 hours without sealed bottles (AFK fishing).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, qw569 said:

Fish are caught on average every 160 seconds.

Thus, in one hour, you get 22 messages about fishing.

Now let's look at the loot table that applies to fishing. For example Atlantic Bays Fishing Loot Table (id= 580 )

Item Chance
Catfish 1
Bull Shark 0.05
Barracuda 0.2
Drum 0.3
Eel 0.05
Needlefish 1
Smooth Hammerhead Shark 0.05
Sealed Bottle 0.013
Salt 1

P.S.

My record is about 40 hours without sealed bottles (AFK fishing).

To simulate this, roll two D10 ( one is dozens, the other units ) 22 times, every time you roll a 100 ( fairly close to 0.013 / 1.000 ) you score a bottle.

There's no guarantees of ever rolling a 100 but it might happen.

Ive found (no idea if its factual) that if you sail close to shore you get crap fish and very very very rarely a bottle. When sailing far from shore where you get fish worth 5 or 10 or 20 provisions when broken down i seem to get bottles more frequently but idk if that has any correlation with bottle drop chance.

Edited by Potemkin

Jack,

You will eventually get a bottle.  We recently received an answer that the Fisher perk increases the chance of a Sealed Bottle drop. (Can't find the post).

You will catch different fish depending on your location, but bottles can be found anywhere.  Deep water holds bigger fish, and the shallows has smaller fish.   There are spots where you can catch the same fish each time.  I've caught bottles near ports, beside forts, on remote islands shores, in open deep water, in shallows.

I recently found 4 bottles in two days, but have waited months with none.

1 hour ago, Jack Spencer said:

Thanks for the observations and comments. Guess I keep on sailing with a line in the water and an eye on the horizon.

I got 150 hours or so sailed in the last few weeks since I came back, I have yet to see a bottle... Yet some other guy was bragging earlier this week in chat about getting his 3rd bottle in a week.

Shit luck I guess..

19 hours ago, Hethwill said:

To simulate this, roll two D10 ( one is dozens, the other units ) 22 times, every time you roll a 100 ( fairly close to 0.013 / 1.000 ) you score a bottle.

There's no guarantees of ever rolling a 100 but it might happen.

There has to be another factor too because f.e. you dont get a Catfish every times ... catfish chance is 1.0 ...

4 hours ago, Gilles de Rais said:

There has to be another factor too because f.e. you dont get a Catfish every times ... catfish chance is 1.0 ...

Conditional ( like many roll games ); either get one of the less than 1.0 and if roll fails, get guaranteed 1.0 results.

Roll.... no dice on the chance items. Roll again to see how many catfish and jacks and salt you get.

That's a possibility. And it is used in many games, whatever media used ( board, pc, etc )

When i first started playing after release i used the Fishing perk for over a month. I only found 2 bottles the whole time. I stopped using the perk and i started finding bottles all the time. Couple of weeks ago i found 4 bottles in one day. But i played damn near 20 hours that day. (Ive played over 1,300 hours since release) Shallow waters around islands seem to yield the most bottles. Based on my experience i would say the Fishing perk does not help with finding bottles. Its all about getting lucky and doing a lot of sailing.