Game-Labs Forum

Fresh Start – Wipe information for War and Peace servers.

On 6/1/2019 at 8:28 PM, Papillon said:

I don't know....in light of the fact that early access means a game might not even be launched at all, I think this partial wipe of PVE server is a pretty good compromise.

You probably don't understand, because you never tried playing as a ship-collector on PvE.

1. Game-labs failed to implement Port Mechanics on the PvE server, people have no direct access to the port modifications. 

2. The crafting system is entirely RNG based, with very slim chances of "perfect" ships. 

3. The new ELITE Ship Note system is entirely RNG based, with very slim chances of "perfect" ships. 

4. Collectors like building and playing perfect ships (and do crazy things with them like solo group missions). 

Now, this may not be as exciting as sinking a [WO] Santisima fleet off the coast of Port-de-Paix, but it is what such people do for fun.

When this wipe is announced, without a corresponding solution to the RNG / luck based crafting mechanics, a lot of the progress these people have achieved will be removed for no reason other than Admin's whim. The fact that some player has a Golden or Purple Lo/Wo L'Ocean doesn't hurt anyone else on the server. These people on the PvE server tend to be the most helpful with new players, answering questions in Help, softening the blow when rookies lose their ships, and giving away or selling ships at discount. 

If you watch the Path of Exile GDC Post Mortem on youtube, you will notice that they advocate for wipes after releasing new content. The reason it works is because new content brings new and returning players, and the expected wipe allows both to plan a fresh start.

Naval Action has no new content. Players who quit have little reason to come back. There will be a small uptick in users after release, a few more DLC's will sell to those too foolish to understand servers are likely to close, and when that dries up, goodbye NA for everyone. If we are extra lucky, someday the server and game source will be released so the community can host and finish it. 

Edited by Tenet
First sentence is guess, and should have been phrased as such. Underlined the important claim.
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, Tenet said:

When this wipe is announced, without a corresponding solution to the RNG / luck based crafting mechanics, a lot of the progress these people have achieved will be removed for no reason other than Admin's whim.

Now you're just posting made-up crap.  It's not a whim.  If they're wiping something on the PVE server it's because they have to.  They're even compensating to some degree. 

7 minutes ago, Tenet said:

The crafting system is entirely RNG based, with very slim chances of "perfect" ships.

PVP has the same chance of your so-called perfect ships.  I agree that PVP does have the port bonus system over you and  I fail to see why PVE server cant have that, but c'mon, don't make shit up.

16 minutes ago, Tenet said:

You don't understand, because you never tried playing as a ship-collector on PvE.

I'm not sure why you continue to antagonize people with your poor and erroneous assumptions on this forum about what they do or do not do in the game, but take it elsewhere pal.

I do play on the PVE server and I do happen to think it's a good compromise.  That's my opinion or I wouldn't have stated it, take it or leave it, but don't presume to tell me what I am on any server.  If you don't agree with it keep your own opinion.  You neither play my character nor have a clue how I do.  Stick to your own playstyle and don't presume to tell me mine after a few thousand hours in the game.  And your toxicity lately on this forum is part of the problem with player base morale.  Don't continue to send me PM's either to harrass me off the official forums as you have, you are on my ignore list there.

Edited by Papillon
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Tenet said:

When this wipe is announced, without a corresponding solution to the RNG / luck based crafting mechanics, a lot of the progress these people have achieved will be removed for no reason other than Admin's whim. The fact that some player has a Golden or Purple Lo/Wo L'Ocean doesn't hurt anyone else on the server. These people on the PvE server tend to be the most helpful with new players, answering questions in Help, softening the blow when rookies lose their ships, and giving away or selling ships at discount.

This.

And still not even an attempt from dev's side to explain what exactly made them turn their backs towards PvE server community and kill off existing fanboyism by simply switching over from giving hope we keep everything to saying "You're gonna lose your ships" for no reason...

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Cetric de Cornusiac said:

This.

And still not even an attempt from dev's side to explain what exactly made them turn their backs towards PvE server community and kill off existing fanboyism by simply switching over from giving hope we keep everything to saying "You're gonna lose your ships" for no reason...

The move was prepared in advance by making prices for upgrading buildings (at least to highest tiers) horribly high. Hence, by wiping assets at launch, PVE veterans will be compelled to stay online a lot of hours to grind back their assets (mainly in order to re-build shipyards level 3), so game population will stay high for at least some days and newbies will tell "oooooh …. how many players there are here". And when the period for the refund is gone, well …. newbies will not be important anymore.

Now call me cynical, but this is the only logical explanation I could see for an asset wipe in peace server.

Edited by toblerone
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, toblerone said:

The move was prepared in advance by making prices for upgrading buildings (at least to highest tiers) horribly high. Hence, by wiping assets at launch, PVE veterans will be compelled to stay online a lot of hours to grind back their assets (mainly in order to re-build shipyards level 3), so game population will stay high for at least some days and newbies will tell "oooooh …. how many players there are here". And when the period for the refund is gone, well …. newbies will not be important anymore.

Now call me cynical, but this is the only logical explanation I could see for an asset wipe in peace server.

Are you sure it has nothing to do with the fact that they may be changing the stats on mods and/or ships?  Can't have the old with the new....so it would need a wipe....Then they give you redeemables to ease the burden....But I suppose it's easier to speculate about nefarious plans, lol.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Papillon said:

Remember the Pray button?

Nope, i'm a noob.  More communication would reduce it for sure, but I do in fact fault people for ridiculous speculation.  It accomplishes nothing on these forums. 

55 minutes ago, toblerone said:

If this guy honestly believes this, he's a...…..well, I won't speculate.

3 hours ago, Tenet said:

You don't understand, because you never tried playing as a ship-collector on PvE.

1. Game-labs failed to implement Port Mechanics on the PvE server, people have no direct access to the port modifications. 

2. The crafting system is entirely RNG based, with very slim chances of "perfect" ships. 

3. The new ELITE Ship Note system is entirely RNG based, with very slim chances of "perfect" ships. 

4. Collectors like building and playing perfect ships (and do crazy things with them like solo group missions). 

Now, this may not be as exciting as sinking a [WO] Santisima fleet off the coast of Port-de-Paix, but it is what such people do for fun.

If you watch the Path of Exile GDC Post Mortem on youtube, you will notice that they advocate for wipes after releasing new content. The reason it works is because new content brings new and returning players, and the expected wipe allows both to plan a fresh start.

Naval Action has no new content. Players who quit have little reason to come back. There will be a small uptick in users after release, a few more DLC's will sell to those too foolish to understand servers are likely to close, and when that dries up, goodbye NA for everyone. If we are extra lucky, someday the server and game source will be released so the community can host and finish it. 

Can you tell me what the winning lottery numbers will be for this Friday while you're at it, Nostradamus??

Kthanks!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Papillon said:

Looks like ship wipe may encourage more people to buy DLC ships, particularly those who wouldn't before.  Not saying that's intended, but sure seems like a logical result.

Not me. I am wondering if I will come back at all.

It would not be funny for devs either, if for every customer who buys a DLC ship after losing their crafted ships (and does DLC ship bring you a gold one? Let me doubt it), three other customers  would swear to themselves they won't buy any game-labs products in the future, because of their disappointment here with Naval Action, or rather, some ill decisions taken towards community. That means for devs three times no sold copies for "This Land is My Land" and three times no sold copies for "Ultimate Admiral" and ... and... and... whatever comes next. Just for forcing people into buying a DLC at NA release. Which is probably in many cases not resulting in a purchase either. Altogether, a high stake poker game and bad math.

And I even did not mention the influence of another shit storm wave of steam reviews to come with release. I know I argued strongly in favor of dev's case back then when we saw the "Banned Privateer Revenge Campaign" affair, but this was... before my own fanboyism started to get strangulated now with the "no ships and mats" decision for PvE peace server. And it is still no fun for me having to write this.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Angus MacDuff said:

Are you sure it has nothing to do with the fact that they may be changing the stats on mods and/or ships?

No trouble at all on PvE peace server. Never was. I was still sailing ships built months before which still could have upgrades of the same icon type (like two gunpowder upgrades or two hull improvements) next to each other. Did it bother anyone? No. They would not know it if I did not tell them.

In addition, we have minor patches all the time with maintenance which change stats of mods or ships and no big wipe is necessary. Is it possible you didn't notice yet?

35 minutes ago, Angus MacDuff said:

If this guy honestly believes this, he's a...…..well, I won't speculate.

Indeed. I won't speculate now.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Cetric de Cornusiac said:

No trouble at all on PvE peace server. Never was. I was still sailing ships built months before which still could have upgrades of the same icon type (like two gunpowder upgrades or two hull improvements) next to each other. Did it bother anyone? No. They would not know it if I did not tell them.

In addition, we have minor patches all the time with maintenance which change stats of mods or ships and no big wipe is necessary. Is it possible you didn't notice yet?

Indeed. I won't speculate now.

1 player has poods, the other doesn't....

As long as the AI can't use f11 or posts on forums, nobody on PvE server cares...how comes the PvP guys cant even imagine that we cooperate , not compete ?

As to poods and gifted ships: Taking a gift away is (selfcensored )

Edited by Jan van Santen
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Angus MacDuff said:

Are you sure it has nothing to do with the fact that they may be changing the stats on mods and/or ships?  Can't have the old with the new....so it would need a wipe....Then they give you redeemables to ease the burden....But I suppose it's easier to speculate about nefarious plans, lol.

No, since in this case a ship wipe and upgrade wipe would have been more than enough. No need for wiping doubloons, reals, ports, materials, permits and - what's more important - outposts and buildings (now that building upgrades are so expensive). 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, JoeForKyo said:

Really looking forward on the release, the 5 newcomers being ganked to shit in the war server, and the 2 coming to pve discovering there's not much to do at all.

He could do the "tutorial"..oh wait, the moment he reaches the first exam he will ask for STEAM refund :)

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, JoeForKyo said:

I've been trying to craft a golden L'Ocean since the beginning of the "new era" of RNG, For months I've flodded the market with blue ships, up to 155 or so of them. With just 4 purples, and 0 gold. I never ever gotten a single gold ship.  Granted, pre-elite this would not have made a big difference.

Now though crafted ships in the PVE server are just useless, elite notes would stomp them pretty easily. That makes a crafter like myself having to waste, well at this point millions and millions of doubloons, to try and get a ship by far inferior to one even the most casual "carebear" can attain by attacking a single L'Ocean. Also spending loads more on buildings, for stuff we don't even get in our server.

Early Access bullshit aside (" there is no reason whatsoever to wipe pve server", not that I believed that for a second) which comes out of someone's ass, the PVE partial wipe, which was of course expected to be something the devs would change their minds on , is a mere gimmick to buy themselves time to make people play the game more, by obtaining again the stuff they had before, a mere pathetic way to get some small player retention by re forcing grind. No new content, no new stuff, just dead trading, dead crafting, and some silly RNG. 

Really looking forward on the release, the 5 newcomers being ganked to shit in the war server, and the 2 coming to pve discovering there's not much to do at all.

nooooo … we are pathetic speculators. The PVP gods of war (a.k.a. as Misters know it all) have the right answers also for the PVE server where they did not even play.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JG14_Cuzn said:

Guys.. PVE accounts for what?  50 players?     Feel blessed they have a dedicated server for you few.     

There are more then 50 players. 50 is in the Moment more the difference between PvP and PvE Server.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, JG14_Cuzn said:

Guys.. PVE accounts for what?  50 players?     Feel blessed they have a dedicated server for you few.     

There it is. The disdain and condescence we usually associate with "PvP heroes", which drives people away from your favorite hunting grounds into our server and lets you drain your own swimming pool.

For a time, early this year, we had higher new player numbers added to server than you, for that reason. The peak was around february, early march when in the high 200's. Not that you ever noticed if someone wouldn't tell you.

Why numbers dropped again to now around 150's as peak? I don't know, but it certainly does not have to do with our community. It would be far worse if we had that social climate which shines through with this your statement.

Edited by Cetric de Cornusiac
  • Like 11

49 minutes ago, JG14_Cuzn said:

All MMOs need a sustainable spawn rate but NA pvp sustainability feeds on that very spawn rate, killing it.

^^ is a classic forum example! 🤣