Game-Labs Forum

Fresh Start – Wipe information for War and Peace servers.

1 minute ago, van Veen said:

Since it is not possible to conquer a port on PVE server, there is no owning clan.

May I remind you of the (some day, but announced) upcoming introduction of port conquest by means of "sabotage" on PvE peace server? After that, the next logical step is to start building improvements like on war server. Voila: port boni.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, van Veen said:

The reason is that it's simply impossible with current game mechanics. Port upgrades are available to a clan owning a port. Since it is not possible to conquer a port on PVE server, there is no owning clan. And since there is no owning clan, there is no one to build the port upgrades. 

Call it poor game design, but that's how it is at the moment. 

I'm not sure that I believe that its necessary to have an "owning" clan.  Seems like a minor programming issue to me.  It's important on PVP for sure, as there are politics involved and the effort of RVR demands a return.

• Like 1

4 out of 15 of my clan has indicated they will attempt NA again after release. Im super worried the player count is going to be too low on the server.  We lost over half of our active guys.

21 minutes ago, rediii said:

No problem, most of my guys said they get fully active again at release. (Almost noone active atm)

Ignore people that say they stop playing with release. They are addicted, they will play again. There is no compareable game on the market in my oppinion.

maybee no problem for u but a lot of guys which where just short able to drive first rds will also leafe. And if compareble game or not makes just a diffrents if you just want to play this gamejongre. 

in my opinion the biggest "mistake" was lieing about the Reset of XPs. That make a ton of guys realy upset (me included)

I find it funny how people acting, cause of the Wipe. From bad Steam-Reviews to i will not Grind again. All thinks i coud understand. But what i can not understand are the people that make bad Reviews how bad all is and what a bad Game it is with over 2 to 6k hours in the Game and play all day long.

I got 3.5k hours ingame. Startet over a few Times and i will do it again. But what i can say i will not run throug the Ranks i will do it with all the Time i need.

Yeah it is disapointing that the XP get wiped after 3years of promises that the XP will be untouched. But as long i get my fun in the Game i will not make bad Reviews.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Flinch said:

4 out of 15 of my clan has indicated they will attempt NA again after release. Im super worried the player count is going to be too low on the server.  We lost over half of our active guys.

on the other hand, people I haven't talked to, nor that they played NA for 1+ year(s) have said they will come played again. most of the folks I know who stopped playing, stopped because they were tired of waiting for release and just took a long break until the game finally "starts."

Of the players I know who have stated they won't play anymore for whatever reason, I won't be surprised in the least  if I see their name pop up in global 1-2 weeks after release.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Teutonic said:

Of the players I know who have stated they won't play anymore for whatever reason, I won't be surprised in the least  if I see their name pop up in global 1-2 weeks after release.

Undoubtedly.  And it will be hilarious to remind them.

Just as 'hilarious' as forgetting about the hundreds which did not make it back in the last months, nor will after release...

Who cares. Close your eyes and believe all is fine.

--

I have experienced the party feeling at some other Early Access title I accompanied into release, what a contrast to the armageddon feel here.

• Like 5

There is the forum and there is the game.  The atmosphere in game is much different than the description of it in the forum.   I talk to lots of players in game that refuse to read the forum.  Others in game are not permitted to use the forum.

Most of the gamersI never knew that the devs made promises.  I know stopped playing NA years ago.  I think they didn't enjoy the overall strategy, but some saw no point in building personal assets that they would lose in a wipe.  A lot will try the game again at release.   

Don't care about XP wipe.  Disappointed to lose knowledge. 

I never knew that the devs made promises.  It's not okay to break your word, it shows the world that you lack integrity.  People without integrity don't value it.  If a game company lies it's not insurmountable, just an indication that there is no trusting them ... unless we are simple minded.

It's still a good game.  I never expected to keep anything after the wipe.   Be wary, don't expect so much.

I am prepared for more wipes after release.  I'd be a little stupid not to.

Edited by Macjimm
  • Like 4

On 5/31/2019 at 7:02 AM, Wraith said:

Sad that you walked back even the ship and book knowledge retention. I can't honestly think this is in any way a good idea as even those testers that have stuck with you after walking back the previous promise at Early Access release of rank and crafting xp being safe, are now hung out to dry.  😣

I expect that there will be plenty of new negative reviews and I know of at least a couple people that will be leaving the game after this from our clan. And what does it accomplish besides yet more negative publicity just before launch? 

What a bunch of Whiners about Testing Mechanics .Helping Development,I think you were Full of *^%#2

1 minute ago, Wraith said:

You, with what, 78 posts?  You really did your due diligence in providing feedback didn't you over the last 3.5 years didn't you?

If you paid any attention, or look back through my many posts sure, you'll find some shit posts responding to what I perceive as ignorance, but you'll more often than not find constructive feedback and suggestions for game mechanics and development.

So unless you have something more intelligent to discuss, please move on.

I have Something to day to you and your Knowledge edicts #2 man .You Guys WHHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIINED for 3 months of your superior Testing skills,Many Many Forums,Many Many negative Posts of your Concise lack of respect to other testers. Why,Intelligence is a 2 way street.

59 minutes ago, Macjimm said:

I never knew that the devs made promises.  It's not okay to break your word, it shows the world that you lack integrity.  People without integrity don't value it.  If a game company lies it's not insurmountable, just an indication that there is no trusting them ... unless we are simple minded.

The entire issue of promises has been blown out far of proportion. It‘s a company, not our spouse. They wrote for people to prepare for the worst. It‘s a game in development. In development anything can happen. I for my part am happy that the Devs have been trying out so much. 

• Like 4

I am comfortable with the wipe....not happy but I accept it.  A level playing field is never going to be possible but I get why.  What I am fed up with is people being criticised for having an opinion.  This is a forum and everybody should be able to give their opinion without be labelled, whether it be a 'whiner' or anything else.  I am in the centre ground on this but I respect the strong opinions on both sides but as soon as somebody starts name calling you forfeit the right in my opinion to have anybody take you seriously.  My only concern at the moment is the lack of information as we approach release.  I do think we need more info on what day 1 is going to look like.

• Like 3

Its no wonder Why it took so long to Develop A game With your 3k worthless views.last Not taken into Consideration.Fel Unloved yet.you should

that you thought you were going to Enjoy as supreme Leader of the COmmunist Oligarch Council,as an expression of mechanics that obviously you were totally wrong about..but ,you threaded any a ceasless case of

8 minutes ago, Wraith said:

You, with what, 78 posts?  You really did your due diligence in providing feedback didn't you over the last 3.5 years didn't you?

If you paid any attention, or look back through my many posts sure, you'll find some shit posts responding to what I perceive as ignorance, but you'll more often than not find constructive feedback and suggestions for game mechanics and development.

So unless you have something more intelligent to discuss, please move on.

12 minutes ago, Son of Surcouf said:

The entire issue of promises has been blown out far of proportion.

As I said.  I wasn't aware that the Devs had made promises.  I didn't expect anything less than a full wipe.

But there are some companies that can be relied on to fulfill their commitments.

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

I only have a lack of respect for people who don't apply their intellectual capacities to the fullest. If that's the best you're capable of then, I'll "respect" your opinion and move on... but it won't keep me from being sad for you and your education. 

Perhaps is language barrier that create illusion of lack of thought, also intelligence is relative to situation so for me avoid questioning intelligence of another. For example what use is rocket scientist when surviving in jungle or desert, local people may not know math but can survive and have knowledge critical for situation/survival. To be fair to yourself though he did start the negative slant with dismissing previous posts :) .

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

As will I.. I've long since lost hope that we'll get any substantial new content or game mechanics in place and even that we'd be launching with the semblance of ship balance that we had even a couple years ago, but that doesn't keep Naval Action from having the best Age of Sail combat available, and that's worthy of coming back to despite all its shortcomings.  For me, it's mostly the community and the people I play with regularly that drives me to keep involved.. it's certainly not the way the MMO-side of the game has (or hasn't in most cases) evolved that keeps me interested. EVE in the Age of Sail, as the vision was described to me on Early Access launch, is a far cry from what we got.

I also see very little reason to think that we won't be back at very much the same population levels a few months down the road, having picked up a few and lost a few more with the release/wipe(s). But from a sustainability standpoint it would be nice to hear what kind of time horizon and long-term vision the developers have for Naval Action... I mean, despite how much stock you'd place in that vision, given my previous statement about development and trust taken into account of course, it would still be interesting to hear.

Here i agree with what you say, should be more input from dev team and what future of game should/will be as move on past release. 

From player viewpoint appears perhaps dev team sick of time spent on Naval Action or out of resources to continue to advance game without income. Possible is reason for rushed release to gather more players and sell more DLC but devs i agree should be clear on position. Another possibility is that release and sales post release will seal fate and longevity of game overall, and so isn't mentioned due to this as people would not buy game that is on life support.

One thing i would suggest is that we all stop bickering on forum, is open window to future potential playerbase to view situation before buying (not pointed at wraith but everyone from polarized positions). Perhaps is part of issue of player retention and new sales of game, can be percieved as being toxic  as text lacks context and meant joke can be seen as much darker depending on readers position/perspective.

I to was sad to find promises broken, but makes sense for wipe especially on PvP server (I also 90% sure devs said once no DLC for example). If I thought was a "battle" worth fighting i would also post and question devs, but decision been made and perhaps reasons are financial based to try hold new players joining on release (if there are any i am realist).

Perhaps what all can agree on is Naval Action has something other games do not and is why we play whether Elite player/group or food for others.  We should maybe focus on great things about NA (combat mechanics for example) and put aside other issues until release done and results of all realised  by devs.

Would be great pity for current players to be part of downfall of game, and we should all think more before posting (myself also - everyone) :) .

Edited by Doh
  • Like 2

My last question / suggestion is that the game get promoted or advertised:  Otherwise there may NOT be any surge of new Players coming in upon "Release," and this game desperately NEEDS a surge of new Players to make it successful.

I also would hope that us veterans will see it to police ourselves and NOT engage in Capitol area "Seal-Clubbing" of the newbie Players as they do their initial AI missions and scurry aimlessly to and fro.  Otherwise, many of the new Players will be simply driven away in frustration, as they won't know the history or the fact that we were completely Wiped.  This will have to be an individual decision made by each and every one of us for it to work...

Here's to hoping the game will not be DOA.

• Like 4

A few points: 

- It seems like with this annoucement you pretty much made the game until the launch look like a wasteland... , if people would have keept at least xp and books on the war server then they had at least an incentive to play. Now I for example just wait for release and play something different until then...

- Ok you level the playing field at the start... how long will this last. The hard core games will quickly be able to man thier dlcs and the new player hunt will be on. Also you will always have the problem that new players will be thrown under the sharks. I mean in a month time new players will face pretty well prepared veterans again anyhow.

- I wonder if you create a legal problem. You sold DLC's to people, you need a certain XP to crew your DLC. You reset that, so at least for a limited time I got no usage of my paid for DLC. I wonder if this in some countries can cause issues.

- Not sure if you all ever said that but when I started the common thing people said in chat is that you keep books and ship xp at least. But ok this was only second hand information but would be nice because the book grinding is a pain :)

Just my few cents :)

• Like 4

Let me check my future telling orb.

After release:

- Game will be patched and corrected to certain extent.

- Miraculous sale numbers and big influx of new players won't happen. Little amount of recource will be allocated for future development.

- After initial farming, server population will stabilise around same numbers we have today.

- In a year the game will turn to free to play game, with cash shop & dlcs, as planned.

- Player population will increase, new content will keep coming mainly as dlcs.

- We will keep seeing same old names popping up in global channel from time to time.

• Like 3

I would be fine with a peace server like wipe.... but I really think the battle server be handled different is causing trouble. Again one big point being the DLCs. By wiping my XP and not letting me use stuff I paid for... I mean I am not mean and I will not do it... but people that paid like for all the DLCs about 100$ combined and not being able to use them for a while might get mad. You just can't sell a product and then say "haha" you can not use it anymore. Thats pretty bad!

• Like 1

I'm glad that NA is finally being officially released.  In a lot of ways the population has suffered a bit of EA fatigue which is why threads like this have posts all over the map.  That's expected.  I will probably be trying it out after release for a little bit as I am a fan of the type of warfare that NA has and its by far the best Age of Sail wargame out there.  However, I've got a bit of a tempered expectation and I'm not expecting to get wrapped back into it for longer than a month or two.

The reasons is that after 3+yrs not much has really changed and some of that stems from a bit of a chaotic path in EA.  Yes, ship stats, some econ stuff, new ship models, and the tutorial is all fine and good, however, why I stopped playing was problems a little bit deeper and ongoing over that 3yr+ timeframe.  RvR:  Lets face it, its still PotBS and it really limits new players, player styles, and ship diversity just as it did in PotBS.  I messed around with Elite Dangerous and its faction vs faction play and thought "wow, this would have been awesome for Naval Action and really not that hard to implement".  Each location is flipped by setting up in three periods with each period being a week of preparation, conflict, and control.  Its not a 2 hr slot, winner take all battle but a longer struggle allowing for multiple playstyles to get involved.  Dynamic open Sea engagements, smuggling/econ warfare, mission running and even keeping port battles could all be taken into consideration.  This is the core issue with NA.  It lacks tiered gameplay experiences.

Don't take this as a complete fail of a game and I still stand by my old favorable review of the game.  The combat is great, the addition of forts was great, and there has been meaningful changes for good.  However, reason it struggles is that it fails to engage multiple types of gamers into the "something greater" aspect of the open sea.  A newbie in a pickle has no measurable use in world much less in RvR.  A casual player with a job, wife, kids can't always spend hours at a time doing a port battle.  The need to grind away at earning money to achieve the material means to reach a meta ship, skill book, fighting style and find a large enough group to achieve meaningful change is a pretty narrow gameplay experience to have (and its a bit boring) and it doesn't include actual captain skill which is a huge component to the game.  Endgame is full fleets of X meta ship in port battles and that in of itself favors the higher population faction and/or most dedicated group of ~24 and leaves out everyone else.  Are there exceptions to this experience?  Sure, but its not enough to keep people of different playstyles engaged for long.  So, I expect that after a little bit of time after release I'll get bored as I've already done the ~24 people dot flip and found it got stale after a while and then find there really isn't a lot else to do.  Still, I'm happy to say that I've gotten my money's worth and that I've had some very good experiences.  I'm happy to try again.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, John Hood said:

I would be fine with a peace server like wipe.... but I really think the battle server be handled different is causing trouble. Again one big point being the DLCs. By wiping my XP and not letting me use stuff I paid for... I mean I am not mean and I will not do it... but people that paid like for all the DLCs about 100$ combined and not being able to use them for a while might get mad. You just can't sell a product and then say "haha" you can not use it anymore. Thats pretty bad!

????nobody said you cant use your dlc's