Game-Labs Forum

Fresh Start – Wipe information for War and Peace servers.

Well, full wipe is really the only way to go about this. My only question is this: Why bother?

After the game “releases” you won’t see any difference. You might get 1532 new purchases of the game (some will be alts), you will get 1 out of 10 new players retention( being optimistic here) and you’ll get some players coming back to check out the “finished product”. Those will also quit because if the game wasn’t good enough before it sure isn’t any better now.

So basically will be back to where we are now but with less players than now because who the hell wants to grind again for stuff they already had before??

The game will consist of streamers, hardcore players ( crazy might be the correct description at this point) and the poor noob that bought the game because he just watched Master & Commander with Russel Crowe.

What number of active logins is required to keep the servers on is really the only thing I don’t know and i’m Curious about

• Like 5

There will still be very "strong" players whose strength only depends on many poor souls which are harvesting all the mats and books and rare upgrades for the few power streamers who shine in full bright light destroying all those poor people's ships who simply can't get all these goods because they could not spend as much time on the game.

So I pretty guess this is the same as in real life, but unless real life - where you simply had to accept this - this should be a game and this should be fun for every single player who spends some time on it. Turns out this is a thing the devs simply didn't realize despite all the thousands of posts of people who did really care for this game.

Once all the new players who put a foot in this trap would realize the whole truth they will quit - or end as pitiful individuals who just never go out of this spiral. What a pity. There is no single word to add any more.

• Like 1

Some fellows have several hobbies, so they split the time. Others simply have pc gaming, and many dedicate themselves to one single game. What part of "hobby time is a personal choice" is hard to understand ? Is not a race, is not a competition, and if anyone wants to make a game, any game, their lifestyle, who cares anyway. Don't judge "everyone will be left behind because this and that individual spends a lot of time in a game". Is a bit ridiculous.

Enjoy your hobbies and enjoy NA if it is one of them.

And if you set yourself to compete against them, then it is on you. Not everyone else. Play to win.

Talk about measureing others by our own self :) ... 

• Like 7

Regardless of how it turns out or what anyone else thinks or does, Capt. Ed and Seadog Wade are going to have a great time just going down to the sea in pixel ships and doing business on the great waters.

I will probably be mostly on the Peace server because it best fits all the other things going on in my life. Not as much thrill but I can't have everything.

Congratulations and best sailing all.

• Like 4

Well, I'm done.

I play on the PvE server, and crafting and collecting ships was my main thing. If they are going, I'm going as well.

I guess I should've expected this reversal of decision....again. First we were gonna get ships wiped, then Admin said they wouldn't wipe PvE at all because it didn't make sense, and now it's a wipe again...

Whatever...bye.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Kartaugh said:

Well, I'm done.

I play on the PvE server, and crafting and collecting ships was my main thing. If they are going, I'm going as well.

I guess I should've expected this reversal of decision....again. First we were gonna get ships wiped, then Admin said they wouldn't wipe PvE at all because it didn't make sense, and now it's a wipe again...

Whatever...bye.

I don't know....in light of the fact that early access means a game might not even be launched at all, I think this partial wipe of PVE server is a pretty good compromise.

I enjoyed playing the game, yes I believed them when they said your XP is safe.  As time went on I  thought they will surely wipe everything.   I could not really understand why they said your XP will be safe (I do now) so I went along with it.  No regrets I had a good time (4000+ hours)  

When the DLC ships were introduced, I thought to myself, if the wipe takes out everything I will just DLC a couple of ships and play occasionally.   That's what I intend to do, no more grinding for me.  Nope been there done it, got the badge.

On the topic of,  'you will keep your name, your name will not be reset' ... seems an obvious move to me, what better way to sell the DLC forger ;)  (good business idea, It has to give them some return).

On reflection of the whole situation, I can safely say I had my money's worth.  For new players the game will be ok, however, I think they missed the boat, the fun was had in its development in my opinion.

Looking forward to summer outside now. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ruuster_IV said:

Do not increase the price. At least not a lot.        

They launch with steam summer sales … so I doubt price will increase, rather it will decrease.

Else they will not sell much, given the status of steam reviews.

What they are really counting on to get some money (besides some new casual that may be lured by the launch during a sale) are discounted DLCs bought by testers because of the wipe. And that's basically one of the main reasons for the full wipe (and for the asset wipe on PVE server).

Edited by toblerone
  • Like 2

Will Items be included in the wipe for PvE server? I.E If i pull all the items we have in my clan's Warehouse, will we loose all of that? If so then i guess its Sinking our own shit Bonanzaa!!! 

I find it odd by "buildings get wiped" but nothing specific is being mentioned about Clan Warehouse, would this be included inn "All Buildings/structures will be wiped as well" for the PVE server?

Only wondering :P Also i'm kinda over PvP due to the full wipe, and hundreds of hours spent on lvling up, and grinding reals/dubs/books/slots and now the wipe is merely 2 weeks away. My god time passes by!

• Like 1

I did not buy the dlc, I wanted to wait for the official launch.

Two things, not only would I buy none but I'm not ready to start all over again.

I will come take a curious look sometimes, and not even sure.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sea Fox said:

This may be dumb question but, after release will there ever be another full wipe? Also will there ever be port resets?

If no or only partial wipe is being promised to you: don't trust them. Never again. PvP had their disappointment in february and we on PvE have ours now. No room left for illusions, as there is no other server community left unharmed.

Edited by Cetric de Cornusiac
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, adriancairns said:

we are not testers

WHAT THE DEVELOPERS HAVE TO SAY:

Why Early Access?

“Sea Trials is a long age of sail tradition. Captains of that time had a chance to test their vessel and provide feedback to the Admiralty on what needs to be changed to make the ship perform better. Extensive sea trials are required by the Admiralty to fully test if the ships in the game are seaworthy and ready for fighting.”

Who cares?  You can either play the game and have as much fun as possible or stare down from your high tower of righteousness and watch as other people do.  

If you get this indignant over some foreign game developers changing their minds in a game that hasn’t even been released yet, then perhaps this leisure-time activity is not for you?

i really question how some people must react to actual setbacks in their REAL life if they get this pissy regarding pixels and fake characters.  

• Like 6

Merril,

Because of time invested versus past assurances by developers.  A large number of people stuck around believing the developers statements they would retain their hard earned XP, rank, ship slot XP and learned books.  Then some were taken away several months ago, and the rest were taken last week.  I personally was fine starting over rank and XP, losing ship slot XP and book knowledge stung a bit more, given that clanmates and I have gone to great lengths to obtain books, spending countless hours doing so only to have it wiped away.  In the end we start over, that's the way it is, people group up and work together.

Real life?  ok, here is an analogy for you.  You work a full time job for several years with the assurances you keep your benefits, pension and nice office that you have earned.  Then you and everyone else is back in tiny cubicles (basic cutters)... "Ok, time to regrind back into my old office"  Then it is announced benefits (ship slot XP) are cancelled and your pension amount (learned book knowledge) is reset and you start over at -0-  At this point IRL bad press, protests, and ultimately, legal action takes place ie: class action lawsuits.  This isn't real life, but for many that are retired or disabled this IS a big part of their life.

The last total wipe happened before book knowledge grind, ship slot grind, 1 dura ships etc, This wipe hurts a lot more for a large amount of players.  THESE ARE THE REASONS PEOPLE ARE ANGRY, STOP ATTACKING THEM FOR THIS, THEY ARE LEGITIMATE COMPLAINTS.  This sort of behaviour would have serious repercussions IRL, similar in spirit to the repercussions the developers are experiencing.

I love this game, and want it to flourish, but the repeated decisions based on "hardcore badasses" and "trusted friends" input have taken this game far from the unfinished diamond in the rough it once was, to an unfinished "pander to the few at the expense of the many" not ready for prime time mess.

• Like 12

22 hours ago, - inactive sailor - said:

So even books gonna be wiped too after all, although you clearly stated they wouldn't be when you rolled back on the xp promise? Wow. I know I should have seen that one coming, I guess...

Guess I had a lot of fun after all! Good luck with your game my dude, hope it becomes a success after all. Also big kudos to the cucks who keep sucking it up.

inb4

ByeFelicia.jpg

I raise a cup for you 🍾
  • Like 1

So ..... now I feel like I need to quit my job just to get to a decent level to play NA again or I might just buy three kingdoms and play that...

point is while the new UI is great, PB is unbalance but good implementation, NA consists of me killing AI ( something I now need to do more after release) carrying some barrels from point A to B while watching YouTube and Mayb chase a ship that didn’t want to get sunk..

if this is release I don’t see any great system that has been introduced to make people go Wow!! The only thing NA has is that the last decent age of sailing game without the kraken is sea dogs - and that looks like I’m playing on a sega drive now!

point is wipe books, wipe slots wipe Xp the game does not have mechanics which would keep the casual gamer interested and we will see that upon release with the population numbers. 

• Like 3

On 5/31/2019 at 8:14 AM, Jan van Santen said:

So happy bookpileing is all we can do till release....

Unless you actually meant book knowledge and not knowledge books ???

Rank, Crafting rank, Knoweldge slots and knowledge books will remain

2 minutes ago, Wraith said:

I would wager $200 of DLC content that if Admin reverses his decision to wipe xp/knowledge on the War server and go back to not wiping the.......... 

IMO the problem in itself isnt the wipe, but its far beyond it. As i see it people dont want to yet again GRIND stuff to gain max rank and where they were, so the problem is that the grind and the levelig in itself isnt rewarding, its just rinse and repeat, nothing new. 

"its not the destination, its the Journey" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Maybe  my post will be deleted, and after that, I´ll be banned 🙂

14 pages full of post from people crying and complaining: I´m sure the dev-team will consider all us complaints like always: sending them to /dev/null

I think after wipe, a increasing peak near 800 players, decreasing to september to and average per day of 350, and after that a new message for our dear and charismatic admin telling us "servers will be close". So, I also have bought many DLCs which will be useless after wipe; I´m not lawer, but I can remeber a video in youtube talking about this commercial practices before final release against steam rules...anyway, forget it, I´m not a lawer.Oh my god... can you see most of us are naval action junkies?? Some days saying the game and mechanics are a shit, other days remembering ancestral families from devteam, later promising to leave and not coming back , but we came back here again.

Are gamelabs dev team focused in other games? Sure, and they have no money & no time to spent here.

I´m not going to engange again a game from gamelabs before final release, cause owners of this bussiness got honour in their words same like my ex girlfriends 🙂

So thanks for the experiment, after wipe I´m gona check if I want to spend 400 hours to reach enough XP to sail a Surprise :D

Edited by deltonos
  • Like 6

After months of knowing a wipe was coming, are people honestly still complaining about how their lives have been completely ruined and how empty their life is losing XP? Just curious. I mean, do you plan on playing this game forever? If you ever planned on quitting the game sometime in the future, then the quote "all this time I've played has been wasted time" is the exact same situation as the devs wiping everything. Devs wipe the game = lose xp and all that time was a waste; you quit playing the game now or in 2040 = you lose xp (in a sense because you're not using it anyway by not playing) and all that time was wasted.

If you don't like the game, just stop playing and go find another game that's not EA and will never change. If you like the game, then just play. Frankly, all of us who plan to keep playing are rather tired of hearing the same complaint for the last 2 months. Deal with it, or don't and move on. You should not be trying to influence those who plan to continue playing to instead be in a rage like you are. We are comfortable with our lives and are comfortable with no game ever influencing our lives so much that we would consider it a wasted life. I personally loved the grind of ranking up and welcome it again.

• Like 6