Game-Labs Forum

Manage ports AND save time - coming soon

17 minutes ago, mikawa said:

Show me a video where a player on a ship with no upgrades wins against a player with best upgrades and I'll believe you. We recently fought 5 ships against 1 and had no chance. This was not because of skill but because he had legendary upgrades on it.

Besides, the chance to save time is best news since ages.

5 v 1 i mean i dont know the ship composition here but i would suggest you fought it wrong.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Gregory Rainsborough said:

Thank hello kitty

Really awesome change. I fully support this. 

29 minutes ago, Tac said:

What if forts didn't give points in Port battles? They are there to defend and give a defensive advantage and can still be destroyed but the PB should be decided by players and ships not by giving away free points. Just throwing it out there.

Hopefully if you can build a fort you will be able to place it freely could be quite strategical.

I think towers/forts should still give points, but they should be considerably lower then what they currently are. Overall I agree with your opinion though.

• Like 1

I think this change is a welcome one and if done correctly should bring more interest in port management. 

I hope also that a change will be considered to port upkeep fees and that instead of just a daily payment of Reals taken from the clan bank that ports required various trade goods for their upkeep. Stock items for every port such as grain, meats etc. and more luxury items for more developed ports, Items like the trade woods and Lancashire iron for shipbuilding towns. This would mean the owning clan would have to source and supply the town with these items to keep it going. If unable to supply then maybe the effectiveness of the ship building would reduce or there would not be enough garrison to man the forts or the production reduces.

This would also allow economic sabotage by an enemy nation blockading a port to prevent traders entering with the supplies it would also help tie in many of the existing trade goods into a functioning economy as port owners could post contracts for items they need and are not able to transport themselves. 

• Like 6

I am very surprised by this announcement and think it sounds amazing.

A few thougts:

- consider a strong buff (especially range) to fortifications, currently ports with more defenses are easier to take because of points

- maybe fully stacked ports need several attacks (aka preparation raids?) to weaken/destroy defenses

- could we have a 2nd look at the once proposed land lord mechanic the (vocal) community shat on (which actually would fit into a clan based system very well)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mikawa said:

Show me a video where a player on a ship with no upgrades wins against a player with best upgrades and I'll believe you. We recently fought 5 ships against 1 and had no chance. This was not because of skill but because he had legendary upgrades on it.

Besides, the chance to save time is best news since ages.

I can show you how i capture a purple teak/wo 4/5 constitutuion with a capped caguarian crew space LGV :) with no upgrades and 1 knowledge slot

Not always the best upgrades Wins! 

• Like 3

Question: Right now fortifications are some kind of a handicap for the defenders since they don't do much and they give 500 victory points to the attacker. As a port owner what's the incentive to me to just build any defenses at all? I rather not make any so I don't give up those points in a port battle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikawa said:

Silly. You just simply can't do that. If the other ship is better then you'll have no chance. Proved already by upgrades but the difference is that upgrades are available for all not only for clan members.

This statement currently is, always has been, and hopefully always will be: wrong.

Yes: Upgrades and Mods will tip the balance if the opposite Captains are anywhere near even in skill.
No: They are not an instant win button. #

I personally am FAR from being the best PvPer on the War server. And I also am too stingy, often times simply too poor to put all the best upgrades on my ships. Yet I still am a very regular player in GBs RvR fleet and tend to do alright even against players of my own skill level.

I hat to start sounding like some of the old 'git gud' crowd but mods are OP is in most cases a cheap excuse....

Edited by Tom Farseer
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Farrago said:

I don’t know if it has been decided but I hope that when capturing a port, you capture any/some improvements. That would drive RVR.

When you attack a place what happens?  Econ stops, places get destroyed by cannon fire.  People get killed.   It should not stay the same.  They need to rebuild the captured ports if they want them to do better.

44 minutes ago, Havelock said:

- could we have a 2nd look at the once proposed land lord mechanic the (vocal) community shat on (which actually would fit into a clan based system very well)

I actually liked that concept but also understand how folks bitched about it's fairness.  I don't think it would work so well now a days, but I could see clan perks for those in the clan using the port over those not in the clan.

20 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

The solution is not hard:

Buff fortifications HP and offensive capabilities.

Nerf the ridiculous mortars (accuracy, reload time...)

Forts need the range of the Mortars more than anything, that way it's a risk to attack them and you have to make sure take it out before they sink.  The accuracy is only good cause it's a none moving targets.  Take away the accuracy and you will be never be hitting any thing.  It's actually not easy to target things since we don't have the red aim dot any more that we use to have.  You have to actually spot in your shots and draw closer from the last shot.

10 minutes ago, Cetric de Cornusiac said:

Hope this is no exclusive PvP War server content. Could use this on PvE as well.

Did you not read the first post?

For PVE server we plan to convert the map to the historical map allowing access to all ports and allowing capture through economy sabotage (without changing nations) giving partial access of this feature even on the PVE server.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Wraith said:

How do you propose to capture a port from another clan? :) give the war server a try, we don’t bite. 

I have been there some months. ^^

How to capture ports? Well, admin hinted it will be done by economic sabotage. If he wants more intricate trade war leading to results, he may look up my suggestion thread to the topic. :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tom Farseer said:

This statement currently is, always has been, and hopefully always will be: wrong.

Yes: Upgrades and Mods will tip the balance if the opposite Captains are anywhere near even in skill.
No: They are not an instant win button. #

I personally am FAR from being the best PvPer on the War server. And I also am too stingy, often times simply too poor to put all the best upgrades on my ships. Yet I still am a very regular player in GBs RvR fleet and tend to do alright even against players of my own skill level.

I hat to start sounding like some of the old 'git gud' crowd but mods are OP is in most cases a cheap excuse....

Yes and no I have to say, if a player is not in a successful clan he or she is somewhat limited to "basic ships", whereas the more successful clans will be able to build their ships to be stronger, faster, better faster ships.

We all know what it's like coming up against a 5/5/very sturdy ship loaded with repair mods. 

yes you can often overcome these situations if you know what you are doing but at the moment those kinda ships are rare because they are RNG based and as such usually one or maybe two in a fleet have those kind of ships. If a few of the "elite" clans are able to keep churning out those ships on a regular basis then it is going to create divides (especially combined with the really crappy wood distribution system we have currently.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Neads O'Tune said:

We all know what it's like coming up against a 5/5/very sturdy ship loaded with repair mods. 

yes you can often overcome these situations if you know what you are doing but at the moment those kinda ships are rare because they are RNG based and as such usually one or maybe two in a fleet have those kind of ships. If a few of the "elite" clans are able to keep churning out those ships on a regular basis then it is going to create divides (especially combined with the really crappy wood distribution system we have currently.

I honestly have never fought against a gold ship. there is just not enough of them to be a worry. the majority of the ships I fight with and against are 3/5s and sometimes with trims.

do you know of a group that regularly sails whole fleets of gold/purple ships? I can only think of 1 group...

• Like 1