Game-Labs Forum

Manage ports AND save time - coming soon

Just now, z4ys said:

I always keep my catch or take as much I can carry. Trade goods are just odd. When I get those I am not as happy as when I get one with mats. 

one of my friends built a lvl 3 shipyard in tumbado all looting players. .good times.

• Like 8

30 minutes ago, admin said:

Shipbuilding improvements

• Clans will be able to improve shipbuilding in their ports making better ships, faster ships, stronger ships tweaking the port perks to their liking

What about solo players then? Abandon them all, because they cannot build better, faster, stronger ships?

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, Iroquois Confederacy said:

Very excited about the fortification changes.  Clan-based forts is huge!

A little nervous about this:

I like as many merchants on the water as possible (for obvious reasons :P), but I'm definitely interested to see how it works out.

Also  remember until last week many of us had so much resources that we never had to make runs.  I had like over 100K of each of the basic mats in my clan warehouse in US coast and the one in the bahamas so that I could pump out 1st rates in either one.  Only the Bahama one was the one i had to make runs and it was normally short runs for stone or lith stock pile.  

8 minutes ago, Bodye said:

@admin   Please make it simple for new players so they can craft ships by themselves (at least up to 5th rates, these ships should be expandable) In current system, its impossible because EU trader was removed and resources are crazy expensive so new players are usually just robbed in capitals.

This sounds like an issues with the players.   People always over charge to try to make the best profits and than they buy up any stock if some one tries to sale cheap.  The best answer to this is get them out of the port or teach them how to set up contracts. Back when I was pirate on global I would fill any contract that was just above cost for new players, but I wouldn't put it for low cost cause idiots from other nations would buy it and than haul it back to there nations to sale for profits.  We policed Pirates capital econ very well to keep every thing pretty much at cost or for slight profits, but that was also cause one major clan ran pirates at the time.  

Resources are not expensive, the problem is more Reals seem to be harder to get these days. I can get Doubloons easier than I can get Reals right now.  Though I admit I haven't tried trade runs yet but might do some test runs with them.

Just now, mikawa said:

What about solo players then? Abandon them all, because they cannot build better, faster, stronger ships?

you could always take one from someone else at cutlass point.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, admin said:

ports can be specialized. You will either have a shipbuilding center making awesome ships, or a resource base mining everything, or a naval base with forts and towers protecting a choke point
port perk system will take care of this naturally

or forgot to add - hostility missions will be distance based so frontlines  will come back.

So - to build awesome ships, you would have to hyper-specialize one port, which would make it impossible to hyper-specialize the same port into a defense area, which would make it impossible to hyper-specialize the same port into a mining hub - do I understand that correctly?

If so, might I suggest that only region capitals could be so specialized, so that some sailing between the mining and crafting is required?

• Like 3

Just now, Tac said:

you could always take one from someone else at cutlass point.

I didn't get your argumentation. How to take a ship from someone who has a better ship than me? 

• Like 4

Just now, Intrepido said:

Yeah, forts are useless 90% of the time.

I can see savvy port battle commanders not building any forts at important ports just because of the points they give away to the silly mortar brigs. Its easier to not lose your ship then to defend a fort.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tac said:

you dont make one you take his.

Silly. You just simply can't do that. If the other ship is better then you'll have no chance. Proved already by upgrades but the difference is that upgrades are available for all not only for clan members.

3 minutes ago, Tac said:

I can see savvy port battle commanders not building any forts at important ports just because of the points they give away to the silly mortar brigs. Its easier to not lose your ship then to defend a fort.

Hope forts in future port battles can be controlled/manned by players

The thing that worries me is that the small player must hope to be on a friends list.  Personalities can be involved and players could get excluded.  Make it so that anyone from the nation can take advantage of these facilities.  Yes, the clan deserves the biggest advantage, but that's what taxes are for.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, mikawa said:

Silly. You just simply can't do that. If the other ship is better then you'll have no chance. Proved already by upgrades but the difference is that upgrades are available for all not only for clan members.

Skill is the most important factor, i refuse to concede that because player A has a better ship then player B player B cannot win.

• Like 6

I apologize for bombarding you with questions and commentary:

Will fort placement fall into the same mold forts are currently in?  IE - Will clans simply choose to build forts in the exact same physical locations they are in currently, or will they be able to place them where they choose around a fort?  (The latter would be better, but would take much more programmer time, I expect.)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mikawa said:

As stated by others you can always capture one, or you could buy one.  I remember my first real ship I had crafted.  Surprise I collected all the mats for by my own resource buildings and capture and breaking down ships.  I went to a larger clan (at the time I refused to join a clan as I tend to play most games solo at start).  They only asked for a slight profit on the LH contracts to build the ship and even hooked me up with some basic mods.   There are many clans that will do this for others in there nation.  I won't build you the ship for free, but if you bring me something in trade or most of the mats I'll do it.  most the time I won't even charge you the LH cause I got so much of it as is.   All you got to do is ask and get to know the right folks.  Hell show up around PB's and some folks will even hand out ships before or after them to support defense of ports.  I can see how some of these clans that can build really good cheap ships would want to have as many screeners as they can get.  Even solo players are always welcome to screen for a battle or help with agro for a flip.

5 minutes ago, Tac said:

If only forts were not just a free point giveaway in port battles they may actually be useful.

They need to go back to the old point worth for the towers 75 and forts 150.  Right now the points are way to high they can get 500 points before you can even get points on the cap circles depending the map set up (Forts are something like 225 now).  That and they need better range cause some of them are pretty much useless and only easy points for a mortar brig to take out.  I would give them the same range as a mortar brig so you either got to work fast or in pairs to take a fort down or have some one drive the argo so they don't sink the mortars brigs.   Now the towers can keep normal range, but they need to be at key chock points and cover cap circles.  Right now most towers are pretty much useless cause of positiion and range.

2 minutes ago, mikawa said:

I didn't get your argumentation. How to take a ship from someone who has a better ship than me? 

Believe me just cause some one has a top of the line decked out ship doesn't mean they are better than you.  I captured a good number of ships over the years better than my own simply cause they where poor players.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, admin said:

Good news Captains

Port management feature is under development and will be deployed to live servers next big patch. 

• Infrastructure development
    • All clans big and small will be able to improve their controlled ports and invest into infrastructure expanding resource development. 
    • With enough investments the need for hauling will be completely removed from a clan, creating a cluster city which allows production of all resources (with the exception of rare woods)
  • Shipbuilding improvements
    • Clans will be able to improve shipbuilding in their ports making better ships, faster ships, stronger ships tweaking the port perks to their liking
  • Fortifications improvements
    • Clans and their friends will be able to develop fortifications to protect their holdings
    • All current fortifications on map will be removed

For PVE server we plan to convert the map to the historical map allowing access to all ports and allowing capture through economy sabotage (without changing nations) giving partial access of this feature even on the PVE server.

Ok, I've been highly critical over the past month or so, but this is actually sounding extremely impressive. If you manage to pull it off I'll tip my hat for you.

• Like 3

What if forts didn't give points in Port battles? They are there to defend and give a defensive advantage and can still be destroyed but the PB should be decided by players and ships not by giving away free points. Just throwing it out there.

Hopefully if you can build a fort you will be able to place it freely could be quite strategical.

Edited by Tac
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tac said:

Skill is the most important factor, i refuse to concede that because player A has a better ship then player B player B cannot win.

Show me a video where a player on a ship with no upgrades wins against a player with best upgrades and I'll believe you. We recently fought 5 ships against 1 and had no chance. This was not because of skill but because he had legendary upgrades on it.

Besides, the chance to save time is best news since ages.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, admin said:

one of my friends built a lvl 3 shipyard in tumbado all looting players. .good times.

Most of the ship parts (later raw mats) that we used for our ships are enemy player contribution^^.

Will breaking up ships in ship production specialized towns give more parts? Might be a useful feature with limited rare woods.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Tac said:

They should allow the forts be manned by players and the forts to also have the ability to mount mortars. That way the fort could choose its target at the direction of the port battle commander and also be able to hit back at the mortar brigs.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Archaos said:

They should allow the forts be manned by players and the forts to also have the ability to mount mortars. That way the fort could choose its target at the direction of the port battle commander and also be able to hit back at the mortar brigs.

i agree but i dont think this option is on admins agenda,it's been suggested for years.

• Like 1