Game-Labs Forum

Manage ports AND save time - coming soon

Well, I think this is very good creative idea. Plus I would like to add to it. With the possibility of the new ranks coming. I would suggest that a clan member with the higher ranks be given some of responsibility of managing their ports. So that the clan leader is not overwhelmed, trying to do it all themselves. So there could be some tools in place for the management of the port with the new port perks. There are players among us that they would be very happy in just managing the ports. You could even make a governor rank, for the clan. But glad to see some interaction with ports.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

Given the aggressive release schedule that the dev's have planned I'm not expecting to see any customization beyond things that affect numbers behind the scenes.

Perhaps admin is talking about plans after release? The features of Naval Action don't have necessarily to stop at release, the game could still grow afterwards. which is good for new attraction.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Cetric de Cornusiac said:

Perhaps admin is talking about plans after release?

"will be deployed to live servers next big patch"

For me this sounds before release.

OH HELL YEAH! Actual port management! Great work devs! May I please suggest that:

• whatever values you use that you make it so that a "full grown port" is not completed ridiculously fast?
  • Make clans and nations actually  have to work at this regularly and over a good length of time.
  • And make it so the ports will become dysfunctional if not regularly taken care of.
  • And maybe even make it so that the ports will autonomously revolt and go neutral if clans do not take care of their ports on a regular basis. 
  • And then.....make it so other nations can somehow do actual raids on the ports...attacking traders, attacking the port, stealing their resources, something that will disrupt and stunt the ports growth.

Please and thank you! :D

Edited by van der Decken
  • Like 2

I'm curious @admin, was this idea a stroke of ingenuity or have you planned it for some time? I'm amazed the last few updates have been pumped out seemingly right after being announced. Makes me think you guys arent as hard headed as previously thought, and could still blow it out of the water doing your own thing. :)

@admin I know you said all forts are to be removed but what about capital zone forts? Should capitols and non-capturable ports still have their fortifications?

Everyone is talking about forts being a liabity in PB. What about in a regular battle instance no more running under the guns unless it is you clan/friend list port? IMO we should have some forts for large regional cities or something. 

Just now, Slim McSauce said:

was this idea a stroke of ingenuity or have you planned it for some time?

I and probably others aswell had suggested it several times. It does prove that they listen to the community carefully and sometimes add suggestions to the game.

• Like 1

@admin In response to the solo players, I would assume that a clan can choose the function of the port - resource production, ship building, etc and that anyone in that nation would be able to utilize the port? So if the port is a level 3+ ship building port, then any player, even a solo player, who has an outpost there would be able to utilize the level 3 ship building IF he built a shipyard there?

• Like 2

Yes, yes yeeeeeesssss. This looks very good.

Please bring back alliances, if not between nations, then at least between clans. You know... a timed and signed contract between the leaders of said clans to initiate more political choices.

This way... your buddies that are pirates could help your buddies in the US fight the same port battle against say... a Spanish clan that is not your ally! Just a thought.

• Like 1

I sure hope I can get an answer to this question.  @Ink or @admin

Will the mechanic of production in ports be linked to trade? 

It was indicated previously but I'm not sure if it has been implemented yet, or ever will be.

Local goods become important part of the economy. Trading hubs will provide more trading or crafting resources if supplied by local goods.

• For example - bringing livestock from the nearby ports to the trading hub will help the port to produce more white oak. 
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Wraith said:

Wouldn't that be considered PvP?

I think they are going to allow attack on neutral ports and fight AI, but economic sabotage makes me wonder if they have something else thought up.

4 hours ago, Marinha Portuguesa said:

This is a great addition but as others have stated, you really should implement penalties for each port clans take after their first, empire over extension costs, otherwise the same clans will own everything.

Give clans a limit of only owning say 10 ports, this way other clans have to own the ports or they have to have special alt clans to own more than one and the folks to keep them in order.   That will also allow smaller clans more chance to own a piece of the pie.  

1 hour ago, Capt Aerobane said:

Now that clans can build defenses for their ports, its time for port raids so we can blow them all up!

Yah that is called a port battle.  Maybe that is a good thing to bring up, even if a port is successfully defend if the forts and towers where destroyed they get reset and have to be repaid for.  Maybe some other things get destroyed and have to be rebuilt in a certain time. Thus making mulit attacks on one port could weaken that port/clan.

1 hour ago, LIONOFWALES said:

Yes, yes yeeeeeesssss. This looks very good.

Please bring back alliances, if not between nations, then at least between clans. You know... a timed and signed contract between the leaders of said clans to initiate more political choices.

This way... your buddies that are pirates could help your buddies in the US fight the same port battle against say... a Spanish clan that is not your ally! Just a thought.

Pirates was not part of the alliance system they couldn't have any alliances and every one was at war with them.  This messed us over a bit cause Danes couldn't join our battles a lot of times to help us cause they where classed at war with us auto back on global even though we had a long standing alliance with that nation.   Though what we would do is let them tag other nations and join.  Really alliance system other than clan based is not good.  I think they said for it to work they would have to scrap nations and lets not try to get them doing amy more coding than they need too or this game will never release.

15 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

but economic sabotage makes me wonder if they have something else thought up.

Blockade of a port (ie cutting off supplies, war material and communications) by preventing any AI traders from entering a given enemy port ?

• Like 2

Port management opens up the possibility for better port battle triggering mechanics. Hostility missions aren't very fun, but what about using a combination blockades, economic warfare, and/or raids/assaults to create PB opportunities?

I have several ideas about this, are people even remotely interested in changing PB creation mechanics? If so I can write up a suggestion about it.

• Like 3

With this fantastic improvement how about clan ship docks so Clan builders can make and store ships for the members. 

I noticed Rare woods mentioned. Does this mean crafters can use rare wood types for upgrading ship quality??

Edited by Bubba Smith
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, admin said:

Good news Captains

Port management feature is under development and will be deployed to live servers next big patch. 

• Infrastructure development
    • All clans big and small will be able to improve their controlled ports and invest into infrastructure expanding resource development. 
    • With enough investments the need for hauling will be completely removed from a clan, creating a cluster city which allows production of all resources (with the exception of rare woods)
  • Shipbuilding improvements
    • Clans will be able to improve shipbuilding in their ports making better ships, faster ships, stronger ships tweaking the port perks to their liking
  • Fortifications improvements
    • Clans and their friends will be able to develop fortifications to protect their holdings
    • All current fortifications on map will be removed

For PVE server we plan to convert the map to the historical map allowing access to all ports and allowing capture through economy sabotage (without changing nations) giving partial access of this feature even on the PVE server.

Now this is cool, and worthy of posting for :) .

Edited by Dibbler
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

When you attack a place what happens?  Econ stops, places get destroyed by cannon fire.  People get killed.   It should not stay the same.  They need to rebuild the captured ports if they want them to do better

Damage, perhaps extensive, should happen sure but wouldn’t it motivate RVR if some improvements survive or the capturer at least isn’t starting from square one. A port that is successfully defended should also suffer some damage.

Otherwise, I worry that we’ll all just nestle in to our ports, build them up continuously, and never try to conquer. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Farrago said:

Damage, perhaps extensive, should happen sure but wouldn’t it motivate RVR if some improvements survive or the capturer at least isn’t starting from square one. A port that is successfully defended should also suffer some damage.

Otherwise, I worry that we’ll all just nestle in to our ports, build them up continuously, and never try to conquer. 

Perhaps the ports will have a limitation of the number of ships built per week, or run out of resources sooner than expected, or at the very least require about 1 weeks worth of work to upgrade it for each level and the ports having 5 + levels. So if they're leveled ports with limited production at each level, that might be a reason to expand. For example:

Shipyard Ports

• Level 1 produces 7th rate ships and can at max produce 5 per week no matter how many people have shipyards there
  • Level 2 produces 7th & 6th rates with max of 5 7th rates and 5 6th rates
  • Level 3 produces 7th, 6th and 5th rates with max 5 ships per rate per week, etc, etc ,etc

And the Fortification of those ports would be

• Level 1 has 1 tower
  • Level 2 has 2 towers
  • Level 3 has 2 towers and 1 fort
  • each time it's raided successfully it would lose 1 tower, then the 2nd tower, then the fort

Resource Ports would be much like shipyards but with production levels of whichever resource is desired...hemp, oak, iron, etc. This would certainly require expansion, especially if Resource Ports can be only one or two resources for the Shipyard Ports.

• Like 2