Game-Labs Forum

Clan Flag DLC

Clan Flag DLC comes in 2 tiers:

1. tier: creation permit

2.tier: show off permit

How it works:

1. tier: creation permit

• Any clan leader can buy a creation permit.
  • That contains a permit to submit a flag for approvel by devs + the show off permit for 10 persons
  • Cost could be 40€

2.tier: show off permit

• allows the buyer to use the flag
  • cost are 2,99€

For example for such flags:

image.png.9bca2273a8940b7bb6bdc8eb63c699

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 16

39 minutes ago, Gregory Rainsborough said:

Or we can just customise our own flags as we do already, for free.

Who on Earth would pay 40 quid just so other people see it?

such things have to go through dev approval. Making it cheap would lead to hello kitty flags and such stuff. A chance that people use their brains is higher when price is high.

A way to make it cheaper would be an automated system. like

flag-design-tool.jpg

Clan leaders would get a bunch of given symbols background colors etc...

That would make dev approval unnecessary.

Edited by z4ys

You would need some sort of QA department for this, make sure people won't abuse it with symbols like Swastikas as their clan logo.

To much work, clans had to send in their requested flag, have it checked by staff, allowed or denied ect.

Edited by Batman

It would be interesting if this was implemented for OW flags for clans that want to be recognized in the OW (whether for alliance or intimidation). Just a thought. 

Otherwise good suggestion. It's not in USD so I can't comment on price. Either way, it's not like z4ys is making financial decisions for the game 😂

Just now, SS Minnow said:

Why not make it free. It's a small subjective thing that would give some value added appeal.  Just code in the flags and import specific to a graphic format.

Because of

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT2KHcTcxCsbGD2GlJpHSM

• Like 4

Personally I'm not sure that I want clan-flags to be added...

As more historical flags will be added to the current flag DLC, a clan that wants their flag to be a kind of uniform can select a historical flag that they all carry. And in either case, a clan-flag DLC would be in competition to the current DLC that we got. Also, however stringent they were with the approval of clan-flags, I can't help but think that there would be a lot of weird and in-authentic clan-flags flying about. For one thing it's hard to deny, on somewhat arbitrary grounds, the flag design of someone that already paid a significant price for the clan-flag DLC.

In short, I'm in no hurry for clan-flags to be added. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Anolytic said:

Personally I'm not sure that I want clan-flags to be added...

How about not to replace the national flags, which it should never do except for pirates, but instead to fly in a half-size under the national flag or from the top of the mast?  I'd think it would be included in the current flag DLC.

Edited by Barbancourt
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rediii said:

All cosmetic DLCs are better than ship DLCs

This, I never once had the urge to buy a ship as DLC, but now that flags are out all I want is more customization. It's crazy that the devs didn't ease in with flags first and jumped right into paid ships. It's just gonna look bad down the line when those two ships are the only DLC ships available, not to mention shallows being kind of ruined by them. (rip)

My bank has yet to go above 2k doubloons or 100k reals, I lose maybe a ship a day on average. I have no problem replacing ships either capturing or buying cheap ones on market on top of crafting ever so often. I don't see the appeal for the req anymore (complete paper boat only good for boarding and that's it), while  the herc still sits surprisingly as a shallow water 5th rate that absolutely dominates on all levels.

Definitely would've been better off as DLC permits, that way you could add more down the line and it still be fair play, each being a free ship every single day lends itself to being lazy and uninspired. Every other ship I see is a herc/req and I feel bad that people think that that's the only way they can afford to play. Casuals have never really found a home in NA and DLC ships is like the worse form of in game-welfare I could imagine there being and I can't understate that the model is completely unsustainable, and we very likely won't see another DLC ship because of it now that people think that access to a rare, premium ship isn't enough, that they need to get it for free forever. You'll never get past setting that sort of precedent, especially when there's no way to reverse it.

Edited by Slim McSauce

48 minutes ago, Slim McSauce said:

This, I never once had the urge to buy a ship as DLC, but now that flags are out all I want is more customization. It's crazy that the devs didn't ease in with flags first and jumped right into paid ships. It's just gonna look bad down the line when those two ships are the only DLC ships available, not to mention shallows being kind of ruined by them. (rip)

My bank has yet to go above 2k doubloons or 100k reals, I lose maybe a ship a day on average. I have no problem replacing ships either capturing or buying cheap ones on market on top of crafting ever so often. I don't see the appeal for the req anymore (complete paper boat only good for boarding and that's it), while  the herc still sits surprisingly as a shallow water 5th rate that absolutely dominates on all levels.

Definitely would've been better off as DLC permits, that way you could add more down the line and it still be fair play, each being a free ship every single day lends itself to being lazy and uninspired. Every other ship I see is a herc/req and I feel bad that people think that that's the only way they can afford to play. Casuals have never really found a home in NA and DLC ships is like the worse form of in game-welfare I could imagine there being and I can't understate that the model is completely unsustainable, and we very likely won't see another DLC ship because of it now that people think that access to a rare, premium ship isn't enough, that they need to get it for free forever. You'll never get past setting that sort of precedent, especially when there's no way to reverse it.

I don't have much time to play, thus I like ship DLCs

I like sailing beautiful and new ships, thus I like ship DLCs

I want a lot of new ships in game, thus I want a lot of ship DLCs

I agree with protecting in-game economy, thus I want to limit the number of ship DLCs a player can use each day

I have been a casual player in NA as you define it (a player who spend not much time on NA) since before OW was implemented. And my in-game bank account has always been very low, but believe me 'I found a home in NA' as you put it. And ship DLCs help.

You players who are against ship DLCs, mainly because you spend a lot of time in game and want to keep those beautiful ships for yourself, just because you have 'big in-game bank accounts' and don't need ship DLCs, you are not nice.

🙂

NB btw, you give a lot of good arguments in favor of adding more ship DLCs :

It's just gonna look bad down the line when those two ships are the only DLC ships available

Casuals have never really found a home in NA 

• Like 2

If you give freedom to flag design, it's going to be abused and create a ton of legal problems. Swastikas, dicks, hammer & sickles, abuse... You know, the stuff kids need to look 'cool' and show the emptiness of their heads.

So whatever solution we'll come to, it has to include a check by devs for keeping the game clean.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LeBoiteux said:

You players who are against ship DLCs, mainly because you spend a lot of time in game and want to keep those beautiful ships for yourself, just because you have 'big in-game bank accounts' and don't need ship DLCs

At the risk of throwing this thread further off topic, none of what you wrote here is true. It's not me who is against DLC ship, its the community (a large portion at that) who feel as if there are more negatives than positives to the method of dlc ships that we have. Had it been done more carefully in the beginning we wouldn't have this discussion. The fact of the matter is, by all current accounts from developers, the DLC method seen now will not continue any further for good reason.