Game-Labs Forum

TESTBED - Port User Interface Feedback.

On 10/9/2018 at 11:48 AM, admin said:

I have no idea man - are they so annoying?.. a lot of people complain in private and F11 that they need the acknowledgement pop ups on actions otherwise they dont know what they did. We added it on player feedback.    Like deleting the player has 3 acknowledgements now, to protect players from themselves.

A much better experience is to have cancel actions - eg for 24 hours after deleting a character you could bring it back, or 1h after deleting an outpost. Then players are confronted with reality of what they did and can go back, without being bothered with acknowledgements they don't ever read. 

It's the kind of thinking that eg Labour party promotes in UK now :P People got lazy with their choices - more often than not they chose first and think later. One reason for this is that modern interfaces often allow them to do this (which is kind of good I guess) . 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, vazco said:

A much better experience is to have cancel actions - eg for 24 hours after deleting a character you could bring it back, or 1h after deleting an outpost. Then players are confronted with reality of what they did and can go back, without being bothered with acknowledgements they don't ever read. 

It's the kind of thinking that eg Labour party promotes in UK now :P People got lazy with their choices - more often than not they chose first and think later. One reason for this is that modern interfaces often allow them to do this (which is kind of good I guess) . 

ouch

16 hours ago, Hethwill the Harmless said:

Need or Want... ?

Anyway, I did it differently and fairly fast ( given the rewards are, by devs words, inflated ). I took Hunt and Search and Destroy missions. Sailed out and attacked NPC fleets sailing the OW. Used only Herc and Surprise. Missions were to hunt a mix of 4th and 5th rates.

Kill Missions of 4th rates while sailing a 5th rate are nice and challenging and can be dangerous at points if the player does too many mistakes.

I understand your place of choice to be Bermuda. That can be challenging to find fleets ( but if you sail SE towards Treasure Island you will find more than hugging bermuda ).

I understand the game online and all that, but! how to pumping other ships alone? or everything comes to that "buy a DLC with a ship and play it all the time, and go to the ocean on the PB. I don’t really like frigates, I like battleships, I want to build all the existing ones, and pump everything, but with the new mission system I I can't do this
because the game imposes on me to play on hercules ...

Did you hit the "craft" button with your Farm showing on the right side of the Buildings and Crafting window, and not with Workshop selected?  I wonder if your Workshop is conflicting with your Food Supplies Farm?  The little window says "Building...Workshop", where you use Fish Meat and Salt to craft Food Supplies. 

Edited by Barbancourt

34 minutes ago, Barbancourt said:

Did you hit the "craft" button with your Farm showing on the right side of the Buildings and Crafting window, and not with Workshop selected?  I wonder if your Workshop is conflicting with your Food Supplies Farm?  The little window says "Building...Workshop", where you use Fish Meat and Salt to craft Food Supplies. 

Yes, I press the craft on the farm, the Workshop put the thought that it will allow me to use the accumulated goods on the farm, but no, I could not get the goods from the farm.

7 hours ago, litle said:

I understand the game online and all that, but! how to pumping other ships alone? or everything comes to that "buy a DLC with a ship and play it all the time, and go to the ocean on the PB. I don’t really like frigates, I like battleships, I want to build all the existing ones, and pump everything, but with the new mission system I I can't do this
because the game imposes on me to play on hercules ...

I do not understand your comment, especially regarding dlc usage. It is not mandatory. Any ship will beat NPC 1v2 of the same model. Not easy, but challenging. Please leave the feedback relative to missions in this thread

Please simplify the port UI, having to open several windows to put the cannons or repairs to the boat makes the new system complicated. Make everything more simple and intuitive. I like the configuration of the current UI, the only thing that would do is decorate it with funds of naval themes etc. The UI of the testbed seems complicated. 

• Like 3

I like today's hotfixes. The "grid" display in warehouse makes it easier to check in one glance.

Do all fish in your ships hold have the same icon, so you dont know if one is a 5K fish you shouldnt convert ?

Or is there a difference ?

Also removal of piastres from crafting is a nice move.

End of post and back to testbed, 1 more bellona to kill for my 1st epic chest :)

Edited by Jan van Santen

i like the look of the new ui, but i do admit the popups can become messy, specially if you manage a fleet. this could be avoided by allowing panel positions to be saved. being able to stack and dock panels at the edges could help too.

the warehouse/cargo grid layout is definitely better!  those icons are going to be a bit of work :) it would be a nice touch if icons of different classes (consumables, resources, trade items, etc) had slightly different colored (or toned) background. class could also be the default sort order (i'm not really sure what the current sort order is??).

in cargo panels, an option like 'sell to market' similiar to 'send to warehouse' would be nice to have.

contract resource selection list needs love: a search field, or at least a bigger scrollbar and being sensible to keyboard input (arrow, top, bottom, even first letter positioning).

blueprint type selector could be a bit bigger too, it appears kind of squeezed into the panel title bar. in general popup selection lists are a bit crude. could use a slightly bigger 'font' and be a bit smart(er) avoiding unnecessary scroll depending on content.

also locked blueprints could show requirements to unlock.

i've seen requests to make the font smaller in general. fair enough, but they are just fine for my eyes and resolution, a bit smaller and they would be uncomfortable to read. if font has to be altered, having an independent ui-scaling option would be the best approach.

but it looks definitely good!

Edited by znôrt

Love the grid work.

Love the fact that we have sound effects in the port but I personally feel there's too much ocean sound for such a calm harbor. Should be the same sounds as when we're sitting still in OW on calm waters. A slight slapping of waves on the hull and some creaking sounds.

I can see the reasoning behind the for the 8x Doubloon charge to teleport. Maybe an explanation/reason for the charge in the popup.  It could be argued that I have my own ports and ships and would not pay my own crew extra to haul my person to wherever I needed to go.

I'd still like to see the ability to sort the Navy window per column title. I do like the way you've given us the ability to narrow the view of ships per harbor. Something that would help out with that concept would be the ability to toggle the "Ships on sale". I've got quite a few ships that I've placed in the auction house in KPR and do not normally consider them in my inventory of ships in KPR. By having the option to take those on/off the list would give us the option of a cleaner lineup.

• Like 1

Did a quick search through this thread for "scroll" and did not see this coming up. But anyway I just decided to try out this new UI and found that the drop down lists and scroll bars having some strange behaviour. Does anyone else experience this or just me?

Here's a video showing some examples, sorry about the music being included. First you can see the "blueprints window" auto scrolls down to the bottom. Then in the "shop" clicking a entry flashes the other entries as though they are being selected with the cursor also. Then you see the on the "hold window" the filter drop down flashes through every entry below where the cursor is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sp-AaQqCR5w&feature=youtu.be

How do I get back into the live game from the testbed?

UPDATE: Got it. Right click on Naval Action [testbed] in Stem, choose Properties, opt out of Beta.

And just seen Hethwill's answer two posts below - thank you!

Edited by Chertiozhnik
Got the answer.

Disconcerting to leave a sunny port and straight into a storm with zero visibility (unable to see the port, no idea what has happened or where I am, for a new player especially very confusing). Weather in port should match open world weather I think.

Also I think in this instance the Enter Port tab had disappeared when I entered Open World, it should still be there if I haven't hoist sails and moved.

Would be nice to be able to see the Open World from port, I don't want to have to keep going into Open World and retreating again because 2,000 pirate ships are waiting outside.

Personally I'd prefer Port to be a nice picture of a quay, some warehouses etc with the actions relevant to that port clearly laid out... a bit like the current version only prettier. With at least a map showing wind direction, weather and ships in the offing as a nice-to-have.

Edited by Chertiozhnik
Clarify

1 hour ago, Chertiozhnik said:

How do I get back into the live game from the testbed?

I have installed Naval Action [testbed] and the start screen only shows the testbed shard. The live shards do not appear.

I uninstalled and reinstalled twice but my Steam library only shows the testbed version.

You have to change the option in the Steam game properties

image.png.958932d5383803f67de189493b701aca.png

11 hours ago, Ink said:

Captains, please keep this topic for UI suggestions and issues, recent posts regarding switching between outposts are moved here:

I thought teleporting was an “User Interface” function and the associated fee “Feedback”.

Maybe by un-pining this particular feedback you think it will grift down into the depths of this forum and go away.

Well we will see when this goes live!

"Good job from the moderation team to change @Teutonic's post with @BuckleUpBones's post, lol."

I’m also not happy about the muck-up with Teutonic post, if it was his thread, it would be embarrassing to place me as topic lead.

Edited by Guest

Уважаемые, не находите ли вы, не очень привлекательными  надписи городов в открытом мире? Может стоило бы это улучшить, красивыми прописными буквами ,или ещё что нибудь придумать ...

love it that you changed back to grid in warehouse, one question though now that there is no text to quickly show what each item is other then mouseover it, will you have an own picture for every item or will some be shared like the hull/sail repairs, different fish, resources etc.