Game-Labs Forum
admin

TESTBED - Port User Interface Feedback.

First, Good Job to the Devs! My only real complaint is the warehouse window. I think the old system is better because I could see and organize everything to my likening. Plus moving the whole text line of materials is awkward. the old "block" system was much more comfortable. Second, no where could I find the requirements for upgrading my shipyard etc... And last is the cannons info. It is a real challenge to equip your ship with guns but someone already posted about this so I won't go into it. It looks great and takes a bit to get used to but I think overall you guys have done a great job. Thanks!

• Like 1

311310_screenshots_20181001120621_1.thumb.jpg.7d4735c63ae606f2f500d648802251b7.jpg

@admin

please change the ui a bit and make our life easier.

if you go to equipment, the hold must open directly.
It would also be great if you can change the ships in the equipment

• Like 5

The silver button at the top of the port UI screen that says "Sail Out" should say "Leave Harbour" or "Set Sail" (at least in the English language).  The words "Sail out" have never been spoken.  Additionally, the button could be far more ornate....it's kinda plain.

For my 38 years in the Navy, what I heard was a Bosuns call (general call), then the Bosun's Mate shouting "Hands to stations for leaving harbour!"

Edited by Angus MacDuff
  • Like 6

20 hours ago, Louis Garneray said:

For example we need to click less... Why can we right click on something to send it to chat (almost useless) but we can't right click on it to send it to ship hold or warehouse?

this feature is coming
Alt Click - will send the item to warehouse if it is in hold/ will send the item to main ship hold if it is in the warehouse
+ Right click - and option will do the same (send to warehouse or to hold depending on its location)

+ we will improve usability and reduce need for scrolling allowing the player to just drag and drop the item/items to warehouse or hold without looking for empty space.

grid is under consideration as well. we made the list because we thought icons will be a bottleneck. we might add a square grid as a switchable option in warehouses and holds. 

• Like 16

Main Ship Shortcuts:

Would it be possible to spare some of the clicks to hire the crew of the mainship.

- Clicking on the hat: autonatically fill the main ships crew (and fleet ships if existing) , if money needed (for hiring) a confirm dialog, but thats all.

- or in the Crew Panel, a button with (hiring and filling all)

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Mr.Crowley said:

Hello 

The issue I seem to be having will be a easy fix I hope. The check code to get into the testbed won't work. Has it been changed?

Waiting your reply and sharping knives

Mr.crowley 

Capturetestbed.PNG

If you mean you can't see the testbed in the dropdown list, I had the same problem. You have to enter the code in the box and click checkcode to get the testbed option to appear in the dropdown list.

Is it possible to Nickname the owned  ships. If I had several ships of the same type in the dock its toilsome to find the right.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Schwabbel said:

Is it possible to Nickname the owned  ships. If I had several ships of the same type in the dock its toilsome to find the right.

That would be a very helpful feature that maybe wouldn't require too much effort to program (displaying my ignorance here). If it were only visible to the player in Port UI it would assist in sorting through a long list of ships.  I've had the same problem.

1 hour ago, admin said:

grid is under consideration as well. we made the list because we thought icons will be a bottleneck. we might add a square grid as a switchable option in warehouses and holds. 

A word of advice - it's good to avoid switchable options as much as possible. It doubles the amount of bugs, testing and support and creates different experience for different players, which is a hell to manage once there are too many customizations. Once you multiply all the switchable options by all the resolutions, screen ratios, window setups etc, you can't really deliver a minimal quality of interface to all your users. Once you add customizations, suddenly the use of interface requires knowledge then, which is not desired.

This book is focused on web, but explains concept really well:
https://www.amazon.com/Dont-Make-Me-Think-Usability/dp/0321344758

Google's approach is good. They aim at delivering best experience to all their users with a single interface. They have some customizations, but they're minimal. They aim at giving you a very limited number of ways of how you can perform a single operation or flow.

Edited by vazco

41 minutes ago, vazco said:

Once you add customizations, suddenly the use of interface requires knowledge then, which is not desired.

I think this game requlres a lot of knowledge (which is desired), so a little bit more for satisfying different handling approaches is a good thing !

Can i have an office in the port pls

its getting cold in the harbor in the coming season

there are some nice interiors especially in the higher ranks (just a thought)

the perk reset 

perhaps a direct choice for paying an amount of cm  

in the harbor, it is not necessary to buy a permit you already are in the port (way of live upgrade reduce clicking )

Storage money log:

does not give the amount of money for gaining or loss from the trading and taxes revenue (after maintenance)

DLC from ships vs admiralty

the DLC from the Hercules and the le requin put pressure on the dock slots 

perhaps when buying the DLC from steam also adding an extra dock space slot to it so the admiralty DLC is not infected by it

Overloaded ships:

give it at least 1 knots speed instead of dead in the water.

ship shop

miss the option to destroy a ship in your ship shop after the selling period has expired (data load and useless ship destroy clicks)

Furthermore a well-done job. 

Edited by Thonys

Thanks Devs for a great update. After a few days on the server, I've had a few issues, but all have been mentioned in this thread. Looking forward to seeing this on the live server. I really enjoy the new missions as it will reduce the same old/same old grind of unlocking slots on new ships.

Not too sure about all the new buildings required for crafting though, but I suppose it will encourage specialization.

I know the devs said they would not look at the port graphics, but it would be nice to have a dockyard scene, or tavern scene when not doing ship related stuff to give you the feel that you are really in port. Too long just looking at a ship can drive you a bit crazy, as is evident looking at most hardened pvp'ers.

Gold resource does not have an icon and is blank white.

Also what is a piastres, and how do you get it?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Schwabbel said:

I think this game requlres a lot of knowledge (which is desired), so a little bit more for satisfying different handling approaches is a good thing !

Knowledge and learning requrement for using an interface is only good when you want to narrow or lower the number of people using it. It may be good for you personally if you desire it. It's just not that great for sales and for support costs :)

Edited by vazco

30 minutes ago, pit said:

Gold resource does not have an icon and is blank white.

Also what is a piastres, and how do you get it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piastre

Realistically, they shouldn't be available to begin with. 

Edited by Galt

7 hours ago, Angus MacDuff said:

The silver button at the top of the port UI screen that says "Sail Out" should say "Leave Harbour" or "Set Sail" (at least in the English language).  The words "Sail out" have never been spoken.  Additionally, the button could be far more ornate....it's kinda plain.

For my 38 years in the Navy, what I heard was a Bosuns call (general call), then the Bosun's Mate shouting "Hands to stations for leaving harbour!"

Agreed 'Set Sail' would be better and that is a really washed-out ugly button. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Hullabaloo said:

Agreed 'Set Sail' would be better

or "Anchors Aweigh"

"Said in preparation of getting underway.", historically better.

1 hour ago, Angus MacDuff said:

Why not?  Pieces of Eight are in every pirate movie and they are the preferred loot from any wreck in the Caribbean.

That is fair, to my discredit. That I was thinking of the current definition which denotes middle eastern association even though the origin is era appropriate. My bad. 

• Like 1

Overall @admin I am loving the missions and new port UI. My only issue is the lack of being able to check your missions out in open water and the scaling of all the windows. The scaling issue is one I just have with any of the UI in this game. Everything is so big and at times covers up other important information. There needs to be a better scaling system in this game in general.

• Like 4

really need to redo the sorting in the new warehouse and minimize the space usage, for instance when i want to open a chest it automatically sorts itself alphabetically which makes it almost impossible to keep track of things you get from chests unless you open it in a empty ship

1 hour ago, Wyy said:

really need to redo the sorting in the new warehouse 

I agree.  In fact,  how about just not sorting it at all until and unless we click the sort button?