Game-Labs Forum

Flags, Ensigns, Banners

Hey I would be great if you would change the naval flags of Denmark-Norge and Sweden.

The Danish-Norwegian flag should look like this:

220px-Naval_Ensign_of_Denmark.svg.png

And the Swedish:

600px-Naval_Ensign_of_Sweden.svg.png

I Dont know how old the Swedish navel flag is but the Danish-Norwegian "orlogsflag" is to my knowledge from around 1750 in the current form.

This swedish ensign would be correct for ca. 1650 - 1815, after that the upper left corner was red and white. The army fleet ensign was all blue, if I remember correctly.

Yes, that's correct Malachi. In game right now, the swedish flag is really the swedish civil flag with our police emblem on, which I think is really weird... The correct naval flag would be the one that Norbi shows up there, "örlogsflaggan".

I hope the devs fix this soon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_flags_of_Sweden

EDIT: The flags seems to be right now. Ignore my reply :)

Edited by Olof Cederström

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Could the British naval ensign be changed to the red ensign?

This is the correct ensign for royal navy ships operating in the north Atlantic / Caribbean.

The white ensign for the channel fleet/med fleet and the blue was for south atlantic/indian/pacific.

Many thanks

• Like 2

I would really like to see clan banners and nation flags on OW.

In battle the only signal I can think of that makes sense is a speed and depower signal that raises before the sails are done. It makes line formation sailing so much easier. :)

Potentially you could also reflect the crew settings, but that would have no historical bearing.

• Like 2

It's more a roleplay thing, but people go nuts to personalize their stuff in MMOs, Mind you, with uploaded images it involves a bit of moderation to avoid copyright or trade mark infringement. I'm sure you guys have already considered this. WOT uses stock emblems you can buy to put on your tank, which almost nobody uses. Arche Age had a whole player driven economy of talented artists selling their skill in making upload art (it's challenging making a 256x256 pixel PNG file that looks good).

don't know if this has been posted before, but how about putting a feature in the game that uses signal flags to use certain commands for the whole fleet?

e.g. signal "follow flag ship in a line" and then everyone accepting this order would automatically have his ship follow the flag ship in a line at a certain distance.

this would make sea battles also more organized and not an autoscooter of ships bumping into each other.

and also this is exactly what those flags were used for in historical battles. its just simple commands and would make it possible to focus the fire a bit more effectively since the player does not always have to navigate and shoot.

oh, and how about making "read signal flags" a crew skill that they have to learn before u can use them?

Signal flags would not be a fake feature in a game with fleets and squadrons in battles fought between organised and mature groups. It would be easy to police as well. I am in a group right now that plays online Napoleonic battles where Teamspeak is available but we agree not to use voice comms and instead use in-game written messages sent by mounted couriers. It works brilliantly. I see signal hoists as a very similar feature; a slower, more anachoronistic but very immersive gameplay element that would not be used in the MMO game but in stand alone squadron/fleet battles between friends could be, and to great effect.

I can explain it but I guarantee it would work and so would be worthwhile thinking about including.

I´m in the game to have fun, not to learn to decipher dozens of signal flags. Remember that the Naval action world is not real, and we are not real sailors in the 17th century. Don´t make the game any more complicated than it is.

• Like 1

I don't have a flag that you guys can use but I do have an idea, In PvP2 the Brits and the US are trying to get some sort of "fight club" going, now if this fight club could be implemented into the base game then the rewards could be, skins,flags etc..

This probably wasn't the most helpful idea but it is just to add more content into the game.

Thanks.

• Like 1

It's more a roleplay thing, but people go nuts to personalize their stuff in MMOs, Mind you, with uploaded images it involves a bit of moderation to avoid copyright or trade mark infringement. I'm sure you guys have already considered this. WOT uses stock emblems you can buy to put on your tank, which almost nobody uses. Arche Age had a whole player driven economy of talented artists selling their skill in making upload art (it's challenging making a 256x256 pixel PNG file that looks good).

The WoT emblems were supposed to give crew skill bonuses, yet they never implemented it. Our clan uses them as squad identifiers, but had no real purpose in game other than as markers.

Here, it'd just be nice to have our personalized flags flying, such as my badazz profile pic :)

• 3 weeks later...

08e936c8c516168970a56360c49a66f0.png
Norwegian naval flag used from 1814-1821. The traders used the national flag, which was this at the time, without the middle cut out.

Thought this could be an option to use for the Denmark-Norway players. 

I know Denmark and Norway both used Dannebrog (the Danish flag) during their union, but the age of sail goes on after the union ceased to exist.

• 2 weeks later...

I can imagine how this would be unsuitable for PVP but: Let's just say at some time in the future AI fleets were reintroduced; Then a set of appropriate signal flags with an appropriate side panel in the fleet control panel would be pretty awesome.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

i would like to have a flag at the mizzen indicating the player's rank and at the foremast a flag indicating the PvP kills. the latter should be done in groups like white flag for no kill, green flag for 1-10 kills, blue for 11-50, and so on...

PvE kill are too easy to achieve to give them a flag

Edited by Sea Archer

• 4 weeks later...

It would be cool to be able to use the standard 29 ICS signal flags, as well as the numbers, hoisted at will to signal messages, although this would not be very historically correct since they didn't come into their current form until much later. Maybe the Popham code could be used. I think this would be both fun and educational, and give the much ignored ICS flags a much needed boost. And it would be great to hoist "LOL" in the rigging after outsmarting a pirate... If one would like more historical accuracy I guess the Popham code, which was used at Trafalgar, could be dug up, but then a lot of people would become very proficient in a code that is no longer used, so the educational value drops rather sharpish.

....I guess the Popham code, which was used at Trafalgar, could be dug up, but then a lot of people would become very proficient in a code that is no longer used, so the educational value drops rather sharpish.

The educational value is wonderful in context. A modern code would be an anachronism; like putting an engine on the HMS Victory for "educational value".

I do love the idea of signalling our lulz, but it's only funny in the most historically accurate way possible.

Edited by Pad Seayew

• 3 weeks later...

The regular french navy flag pre 1789 and between 1814/1815 & 1830 was plain white ( <--- the French... ).

However the french navy banner in presence of the french royalty was with the Lys ( was it flown at Toulon ? )

fb_fr_royal.jpg

The full white navy flag can be seen in this painting of the 1779 Battle of Martinique.

The merchant marine however could not fly a fully white ensign.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_ensigns#The_royal_Arms

Edited by Captain Jean-Luc Picard

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...