Game-Labs Forum

Flags, Ensigns, Banners

I'm an amateur of vexillogy, I hope this help the devs

Original old Venetian Flag (early XVIII Century, maybe last years of the Republic)
With book open: peace flag (War flag the St. Mark lion has got a sword)

gATgJ4M.gif

Old XVIII - early XIX Century flag chart (sorry for the size)

Knta72q.jpg

2BrdDT7.jpg

SeGkuYi.jpg

Two intersting items: original Trafalgar Spanish and British flags

uVaZaSz.jpg

uW1MQ3F.jpg

• Like 1

The size of that castillian banner is just absurd :o or was it used in the rigs ?

The union one I saw on a article from a while ago after being auctioned. "Experts" claimed it still retained the smell of gunpowder...

The size of that castillian banner is just absurd :o or was it used in the rigs ?

The union one I saw on a article from a while ago after being auctioned. "Experts" claimed it still retained the smell of gunpowder...

in the past, navy flags had to see far away, so they was need build it big, very big! About the UJ, i don't know the fate of that flag, but is sad to see this piece of history going to acuction  :(

PS. the Spanish flag, if I remember right, was used on the Nelson's funeral, some people cut piece of this like a souvenirs!

Edited by Capt.Pig

I'd love to see the use of signal flags in battle and open world. Sailing in groups spread across open waters using signal flags to call out spotted sails on the horizon would be a fantastic touch. Also the use of pennants would be useful. At the moment groups have the flag icon above their ships which is a real shame as the game itself looks absolutely stunning. So is it possible to have the group flag as a pennant on the topmast? Again with the use of the telescope to spot sails and pennants it will add that bit more of a question mark on who is around you etc. Sails, I don't want to see custom made. However flags yes.... I played a game many years ago, Cutthroats. In this you could hoist different country flags as a Ruse de Guerre but as a pirate. Something like this mechanic would be great to see used by pirates and privateers alike.

Hey I would be great if you would change the naval flags of Denmark-Norge and Sweden.

The Danish-Norwegian flag should look like this:

220px-Naval_Ensign_of_Denmark.svg.png

And the Swedish:

600px-Naval_Ensign_of_Sweden.svg.png

I Dont know how old the Swedish navel flag is but the Danish-Norwegian "orlogsflag" is to my knowledge from around 1750 in the current form.

As the admin said in a QA that they planed for the option to change the flag, I thought i would share two options for Danmark-Norge. (with correct versions of the flags)

The first is the Norwegian royal flag/state flag from 1318 to 1698/1748 

eTuZRMu.png

The second is the Norwegian flag from 1814 to 1815. This is similar to the danish flag but with the Norwegian lion facing away from the pole. 

2Sd58lQ.png

The flag with fifteen stars and stripes, which would eventually earn the name "Star Spangled Banner," came into being in 1795 when Vermont and Kentucky joined the Union. The current American ensign is entirely appropriate for the setting of this game.

Edited by Franklin2013VMI
  • Like 1

in the past, navy flags had to see far away, so they was need build it big, very big! About the UJ, i don't know the fate of that flag, but is sad to see this piece of history going to acuction  :(

PS. the Spanish flag, if I remember right, was used on the Nelson's funeral, some people cut piece of this like a souvenirs!

Fear not, there's 3 survivors from the battle. One of them is on display on the Greenwich museum. Quite a exemplary private collector.

• Like 1

The flag with fifteen stars and stripes, which would eventually earn the name "Star Spangled Banner," came into being in 1795 when Vermont and Kentucky joined the Union. The current American ensign is entirely appropriate for the setting of this game.

nope the flag was set up in 1777 there is too much star in game

nope the flag was set up in 1777 there is too much star in game

I apologize for any confusion this may be causing, but I am not sure I follow what you're saying?

The "Betsy Ross" flag you originally referenced, which is comprised of the iconic thirteen stripes and circular constellation of stars, appeared in 1776 and was purportedly made by Betsy Ross upon commission by Washington. A variety of flags shown in the image below were flown throughout the course of the War for Independence between 1775 and 1783.

As the cutoff for this game is 1820, it could be argued that any of the colors prior to that year are eligible to stand as the American faction's flag. However, with the number of ships present in-game leaning more towards the last decade of the 18th century and the first two of the 19th century, the "Star Spangled Banner" was likely chosen by the development team as the most suitable to break from the gaff of Constitution, Lynx, and Niagara.

Maybe the eventual addition of user-submitted (and admin-approved) flags will allow folks to fly other colors more appropriate for ships like Rattlesnake and hopefully Bonhomme Richard. Until then, the current colors are what Americans in the game get, whether we like them or not.

screen-shot-2014-07-02-at-9-24-55-am.png

Edited by Van Valkenburg

This could be an area of later revenue with different hull paint and sail emblems, similar to Elite Dangerous. To keep the game going and developing you need after sales marketing ideas and dedicated players understand this. I would not object to paying a few Euros for and eagle of my mainsail. They would only need to be visible in the open world as in battle you would use your battle sails. 

Hi

( i wanted to post a pics. here but it was not allowed )

There should be red privateer flags in the game for the Dutch ships if you want to be accurate ( this means ofcourse that you should be playing as a privateer for your nation to fly it )

I would love to see my home towns privateers flag ( the flag is my profile pic ). ......let me make my case.

I'm from  a tonw called Vlissingen ( Flusshing in enlish) in the province of Zeeland in the Netherlands. 

This town i awlso the birthplace of Michiel Adriaenszoon de Ruyter our countries biggest naval hero. ( there where more naval heroes from my birthplace but i wont get in to them )

Privateers flew a red flag and a large amound of the dutch fleet where privateers . 

and from those a lot of them where from privateering compagnies who came from Vlissingen , most of them i think.

and they flew their own Flag so the prey knew who where chacing them 

Our town stil uses this flag to this day

in a lot of old paintings where Dutch ships are in battles you almost every time you see the red flag of privateers in them granted usualy you see a red flag with a arm holding a sword or somthing , but i realy think our 

So to be accurate in the game when portraing The Dutch fleet there should be red flags to 

I'm in to history and when i make a case for my Vlissingse bloed vlag ( flusshing's Blood flag )  its not just becouse i would like it but it realy was used and capitans all over the world knew it and the privateers from Flushing they where realy good in wat the did 

And the did operate in the carbeein

to make my point have a look at this link below and read wat it says behind the word Flessing

https://books.google.nl/books?id=jCp6Er2kmIUC&pg=PT314&lpg=PT314&dq=dutch+privateers+from+Flushing&source=bl&ots=2jhVFI8XZP&sig=M8qMmPG0PrvUb3DhbIZc1R_-19A&hl=nl&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiB6benq-bKAhVB_Q4KHdROAhgQ6AEIODAE#v=onepage&q=dutch%20privateers%20from%20Flushing&f=false

this is from a book called The sea rover's Practice, and if the word for a person or a ship from Vlissingen/Flushing to be a synonym for a privateer or pirate says it all i think

Even the Porugese had the same synonym  .."Pisselingh " which meens pirate and/or some one from Flushing.

oh and this "Pechelingue" is the spanish term for dutch privateers named after Vlissingen

I hope i did not bored you and that my spelling was not to bad , if you want to know more or need more pics/info let me know.

Thank a lot and i realy love your game

Johan van der weele aka. Vlissinger

• Like 1

For the pirate section would be really great to creat/ upload his own created pirate flag,

because every pirate has his own indivdual personality and so should it be for their jolly rogers!

it could be realized with a provided editor or something like that, for example like GTA 5. you can create your own Clan Emblem with such a tool.
Ofcousre the designed flaggs should be profed till they can them use.

Personally its really important for me and many others it seems, i mean it would be a really "small" feature in this awesome and beautiful game, but an important one.

Edited by K34N
  • Like 1

Indeed.. and regarding the in this game used French tricolore blue (hoist side), white and red. That flag came for the first time into being in 1794. For role playing purpose the most logical currend game year is i.m.o. 1795. 

Edited by Swieb

Hi

( i wanted to post a pics. here but it was not allowed )

There should be red privateer flags in the game for the Dutch ships if you want to be accurate ( this means ofcourse that you should be playing as a privateer for your nation to fly it )

I would love to see my home towns privateers flag ( the flag is my profile pic ). ......let me make my case.

Hi Johan. I understand your point and it is a nice idea.. but in fact we all are playing as privateers for our nation. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Privateer 

Thus being a privateer is 'de jure' not the same as being a pirate. The problem with so many different versions of nationality flags for individual players being part of the same fraction is i.m.o. confusion. A better idea is i.m.o. is that we get, beside the national flag, the possibility to create a more personal flag (can be used as the clan flag too) waving from the top of the main mast.

An example (see picture below) of the use of flags on ships is the replica of the US topsail schooner "Pride of Baltimore II" The original was favoured by privateers for its speed and ability to sail close to the wind. United States flag is at the stern or backside of the ship the place were always the national flag belongs. The ship at the far right top of the picture is waving the flag of Portugal above its stern. The US flag is the same as in the game, being the national US flag that was in use between 1795-1818, having 15 starts and (remarkable) also 15 stripes. The idea to use the 13 stripes to represent the 13 colonies having founded the US in 1776 was introduced in 1818. In top of the foremast is the flag of the State of Maryland waving, the flag in top of the mainmast is a private flag, I think the flag of the ship owner.

1280px-PrideofBaltimore1.jpg

Finally it is possible to place pictures after (I believe) your 3rd forum post.

Edited by Swieb
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My flag proposal:

Every clan can choose a historical flag, every player can choose to use either the clan flag or the historical flag.

Example: dutch clan chooses voc flag, player has the option to use a voc flag or a dutch flag. Non clan players can only use the nations originl flag.

Why? To prevent battles with 100000000 different flags (that would be chaos).

----

Pirate flag suggestion:

Pirates should be able to pick any historical pirate flag.

Personally I would love the option of a flag creator or uploader (thats gets checked by admins ofcourse). This way pirates can use their own pirate flag. Famous pirates also had their own flags. (But no pink pony flag ofcourse, flags with the pirate theme).

• Like 3

Here are some countryflags for the Denmark and Sweden:

I have seen this one on several paintings as well, mostly on the flagships of the Swedish navy:

attachicon.gifSweden CoA.png

Enjoy!

It seems to me that this Swedish naval flag belongs to the Bernadotte dynasty, the current Swedish royal family. The centre shield in the flag shows also the colors of the French tricolor. The first Swedish king of the House of Bernadotte, Jean-Baptiste Jules Bernadotte, was by birth French. He served a long career in the French army and was appointed as a Marshal of France by Napoleon Bonaparte. Later, after a remarkable carriere swith, he was chosen to become king (Charles XIV John) of Sweden. As heir of the Swedish throne he turned in 6th and 7th coalition wars against Napoleon and his former home nation France.  

Edited by Swieb

Found this site which i think would help. Here you will find most navy's of the time we are looking for.

http://tmg110.tripod.com/archive.htm

Regarding the Dutch naval ensign showed on the linked webside, that is incorrect. The Dutch don't use specific ensign flags, for that is the national flag in use too. What is shown as the Dutch ensign is the navy jack, waving at the jackstaff (at the bow) of a docked Dutch warship.

For the pirate section would be really great to creat/ upload his own created pirate flag,

because every pirate has his own indivdual personality and so should it be for their jolly rogers!

it could be realized with a provided editor or something like that, for example like GTA 5. you can create your own Clan Emblem with such a tool.

Ofcousre the designed flaggs should be profed till they can them use.

Personally its really important for me and many others it seems, i mean it would be a really "small" feature in this awesome and beautiful game, but an important one.

I already suggested this in another post. Its fun if people can get historical flags but a real pirate want his flag to instill fear in his enemy :D (but it should be sort of accurate tough, no pink pony flags)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...