Game-Labs Forum

Arranged Weekend Trafalgars anyone???

Booyaah

Dazed, how would you like a Trafalgar where the only rule is: 'no boarding'?

Would that make it more interesting for you?

I think what made last week's Trafalgar different from the rest is that every ensign could get a santi and rear admiral therefore joining the main battle line.

We ourselves have the same issue you guys are having with the attendance, only so it seems slightly less severe.

• Like 1

It would be cool for a match. But we can mix it up better than that - why not a frig only battle? or just 6th rates? it would increase turnout too since there are some who are good players but flat out refuse to play SOL matches.

Im guessing that there wont really be much turnout next wk but the hardcore will probably have frigates in a fortnight.

Dazed, how would you like a Trafalgar where the only rule is: 'no boarding'?

Would that make it more interesting for you?

Its a shame to limit game mechanics to have a enjoyable fight, does that mean that these features interfere with the enjoyment or worse stop the enjoyment, something to think about? 

Perhaps when Skirmish mode is implemented these features can be turned off to give the sides full control.

i wont name names - some very skilled people hide mid or rear and last to the end by always letting others do the business.

this is total crap..  our back became the front in the first match, by the time boarding was happening in the second game the US team was running so far downwind, the mop up crew were very busy 

this is total crap..  our back became the front in the first match, by the time boarding was happening in the second game the US team was running so far downwind, the mop up crew were very busy 

i wont name names 

He could well be talking about the US side, Jake. Calm your farm ;)

sigh...Ill let u in on a secret that it seems people have forgotten. if one team focuses masts, and the front guys all get dismasted (or at least partially so) all the team needs to do is match speed with slower ships and STAY TOGETHER and the masting gambit fails.

Unfortunately with mixed teams its hard to control more than your immediate view. and so what happens is that the beginning of a match as people follow the ship in front it stays controlled, but once the front ships mix it up the rear guys have the visibility to exploit mistakes or back up the melee - but sometimes dont.

i get annoyed when nobody mans up to do that job. that's all.

I remember the Combat Trial Trafalgars.... you kissed your game goodbye being the lead ship!

I agree a rota system needs to be in place or an in-game feature voted 'Commodore' prior to the engagement. Even better if you could then deploy ships formations, speed and sail settings before starting the combat. Oh where are those Admiral features promised? ;)

• Like 2

statistics

1st Battle (only counting SOL's)

Dutch vs USA  22 vs 26

Santi  17 vs 12

Vic     4 vs 7

Pav    1 vs 5

Bell    0 vs 2

inbalance(subtract even ships) : 5 Santi vs 3 Vics, 4 Pavel, 2 Bells

2nd Battle 21 vs 23

Santi  13 vs 12

Vic     5 vs 4

Pav    1 vs 5

Bell    2 vs 2

inbalance(subtract even ships) : 1 Santi, 1 Vic vs 4 Pavel

so people dont like uneven fights even between multiple SOL's? i hope those people also advocate for fair fights on open sea.

to be in the middle or rear of a line is not a pleasent position especially when the rest of your team charges downwind like crazy, throwing you under the bus as the enemy splits your line

it is so hard to sink a 1st rate, it is always easier to board it with 2 ships

demasting and boarding while having the wind and chasing the rear of the enemy is the dominant strategy

guys at the front who just charge blind downwind like in seatrials without trying to regain the wind deserve to get punished trough demasting, or getting spiked out.

alot of people trying to fight with the front of the line only making people in the back to go into irons especially when getting their T crossed in front of them. Try to split the enemy instead and keep the damn wind

The problem with masting is that it is too effective:

You can inflict two cooldowns worth of repairs in one double broadside - you would have to pound his hull forever to achieve the same drain on his repairs.

I don't fault anyone for using it but is annoying because instead of sailing your ships we get to play motionless hulks it's especially bad for the lead ship.

• Like 1

This is where realism might have to be softened a bit: in reality ships ended up demasted in 80% of battles; In the game environment the leading ships end up without the gameplay. 

We can increase bonuses for the reinforced masts to solve the problem you are talking about. 

or we can increase the mast strength universally, but this is harder to balance and will make demasting a lot harder in duels

I have a victory with common reinforced masts, fine reinforced masts and exceptional reinforced masts.

Even with those modules it takes only a few broadsides to take the first mast off.

I'm not sure whether or not those were lucky shots, but it seems to make only a slight difference, so not really worth taking those modules as of yet.

This is where realism might have to be softened a bit: in reality ships ended up demasted in 80% of battles; In the game environment the leading ships end up without the gameplay. 

We can increase bonuses for the reinforced masts to solve the problem you are talking about. 

or we can increase the mast strength universally, but this is harder to balance and will make demasting a lot harder in duels

The problem is the most visible in SoL fights, due to their immense firepower. When you rake someone's masts with doubles, you're pretty much guaranteed to take at least one mast off. In frigate fights, it seems to be more balanced, due to their lesser firepower.

I feel like the masts need hp boost (ever since the armor hp boost), but the problem lies elsewhere. For me the major issue is ability to demast with ball at long ranges, 1km even. Damage to masts should be only effective at closer ranges, similar to damage to hull which only starts to be effective below 600 range. 

Issue number 2 is unified repairs. I still don't know what was the issue with the first iteration of OW repairs. Right now though, with 3 unified reps, almost every fight comes down to demasting someone to take reps off him. Also with very imbalanced boarding mods, coupled with surgoen, it's much easier to board someone than sink him (it saves time, and results in less casualties). These last few days I find myself shooting at opponent's hull extremely rarely, because of it's uselessnes. And I don't like it.

I also like the idea of ability to tow ships in battle. This would provide a useful role for smallers ships in SoL battles as well as allow a demasted player ability to still participate in the battle.

• Like 6

Boarding is the fastest way to eliminate enemy ships.

Also with very imbalanced boarding mods, coupled with surgoen, it's much easier to board someone than sink him (it saves time, and results in less casualties). These last few days I find myself shooting at opponent's hull extremely rarely, because of it's uselessnes. And I don't like it.

Finally good to see other people figuring this out.

Sorry I had RL trump some stuff last weekend. I haven't been on much lately and haven't watched any videos yet, sounds like SHTF :)

For me personally, rolling in a Vic as Commodore required me to use hammocks and marines just to get up to 840 crew.  In a 2 module ship you unfortunately don't have any room to put on reinforced masts, I can't stand sailing a 1st rate at 66% crew that turns like dog sh!t lol.  This is just another example of the realism vs gameplay/fun argument, as I know there are a lot of ppl on here who want this game to be as close as possible to full historic realism at the sacrifice of balanced gameplay (i.e cannon loadouts).  I am just worried about the game ending up turning into a scenario where there is just 1 dominant SOL and 1 dominant frigate and sailing anything else would put you at a disadvantage.

I am just worried about the game ending up turning into a scenario where there is just 1 dominant SOL and 1 dominant frigate and sailing anything else would put you at a disadvantage.

Same fear here, same goes for modules.

Imho base hitpoints of the masts should increased, as well as the effective range of hurting masts should be decreased, as proposed by Laik.

Any module should give you a slight edge, not be a n easy win addon.

Some doublestacking of mods should be made impossible, how can 3x copperplating be faster then 1??

As for ships: I rly like the balancing between belle poule and frigate, both have pro's and cons and differ only slightly. Therefore sailing either of them comes down to playstyle and personal preference.

I would like to see all rates have the same balancing.

In ST I preferred the vic above the santi, current santi with 12pdrs and increased turnspeed just makes the vic obsolete.

So there are still some balancing issues here...

Grtzzz Bubbles