Game-Labs Forum

Arranged Weekend Trafalgars anyone???

Booyaah

lol slaps head.... quite right. Hopefully that Alliance feature will come, but Im getting ahead of myself.

This battle feature could test 'alliance' groupings perhaps.

Permit National groups to form before the 'lobby time, then open the lobby where groups could move from one side to the other with a timer function that MM's automatically if the players cannot produce equal sides in the timer

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I would like to continue with our 'normal tradition' this Saturday.  Apparently we need a minimum of 36 players for a large battle event to take place via the Events screen.  We only had 15-16 last weekend as most ppl got silver eyes with the crafting and did not want to fight in yachts apparently.  Sometimes we get caught up so much in progression that we forget to stop every once in a while and just have fun.  Now that things have settled down a bit, hopefully we can get back to business  :D

I believe the Event large battles occur at (correct me if I'm wrong):

12 PM PDT (pacific US daylight savings time) / 3 PM EDT (eastern US daylight savings time) / 9 PM CEST (central european summer time)

or 

3 PM PDT (pacific US daylight savings time) / 6 PM EDT (eastern US daylight savings time) / 12 AM CEST midnight (central european summer time) 

We have had 120 ppl sign up over the months and I see over 200+ online during weekend peak times.  Please fill out your desired time slot in the spreadsheet just so we can get a rough head count ahead of time: https://goo.gl/Tf6GBf

Depending on how many ppl sign up for each slot we could do trafs at both times or a combination of a large battle + several smaller battles.  I do not believe the event functionality has been tested thoroughly yet.  One thing they need to bring back IMO is the chat box while you wait on the timer.  I'm not sure how the Event functionality will balance the teams across nations, and I don't think we can really enforce anyone being on teamspeak anymore, so I would just say everyone shows up this Saturday and let's see what happens.

Steel or Snoopy or Jacob or anyone else from any of the larger guilds that normally attend, if you could poll your guys and post back in here with a rough head count for your guild/faction that would be helpful :)

Edited by Booyaah
  • Like 1

I personally think that we should help make the new feature work. The devs have already received some good feedback on how to increase the likelyhood of successful large battle events with current population levels. The convenience of joining such a battle from across the game world compared to a physical presence in plymouth is a huge improvement. I was there for the wonky first run which unnerved quite a few of us. Despite the actions of one sanctioned player we saved alot of time and work getting set up. Without those tests improvements to the system would be hard to accomplish. Let us be part of the process to splendid port battles!

That being said, I will not have access to my gaming rig or even meaningful internet access most of the time as I am moving frequently during two years of training as a professional firefighter. Thus I will have to take a step back from this for a while. I am glad we got together as a team, bridging factions and overcoming conflicts to make these battles possible. I am truly confident of continued success (or else...!) :D 

Thank you guys!

• Like 5

Thank you, we are discussing the schedule at the moment. An early *poll* resulted in the best time for this being:

22.00 CET saturday =

9.00 pm england

4.00 pm USA newyork

1.00 pm USA las vegas

4.00 am Australia perth (sunday)

6.00 am Australia sydney (sunday)

Just to confirm 

we are about to change the large battle timers around this main slot .. right?

Remind me why we need events to be timed again, especially on 3 hour timers?  We used to play 2 matches in a row and they don't take 3 hours each.  We can barely get 15 ppl now to show up once a week even though it's now easier being able to queue up from any port instead of heading to Plymouth.

Most the old school pvper's are not playing the game right now, the current active player base is around 75% PvE players I'd say.  There's a few US/Dutch and Pirate players that like pvp, but that's about it...

There is no way you are ever going to get 36 ppl to queue up in a 3-5 minute window, hell last night there were only 34 ppl on.  Need a custom lobby where players can choose sides and everyone hits a ready button before the match starts.  Or just bring back the random lobby at least and auto balance the teams randomly.

Edited by Booyaah

Sadly the interest in Traf battles has fallen off severely since the crafting patch was released, it's just a fact of life.  There is no new pvp blood coming in anymore to bolster it.

I will actually be in the Caribbean the next 2 weekends, so I doubt you'll see more than 3-4 US players if any.  GL though :)

Edited by Booyaah

Sadly the interest in Traf battles has fallen off severely since the crafting patch was released, it's just a fact of life.  There is no new pvp blood coming in anymore to bolster it.

Is it because of crafting or testers have already seen everything and now just wait for port battles and new ships?

We don't plan to add any significant new blood until early access opens. You guys do an awesome job already by providing us enough bug reports and things to tune and fix.

I think many people can't see the reason to play when they can't get better ships - especially people who, for various reasons, are not participating in the crafting (lack of resources, incentive, interest, etc.). A lot of us, including myself, really enjoy the line fighting, but this is not possible until people can get into ships of the line. 

I think more of the veterans would play if you could at least capture some of the bigger ships (all ships, I'd say), even if these were then lower quality. It would also make the PvE grind more interesting, with more variation.

In terms of the arranged trafalgars, I follow what Booyaah's saying: the events can't entirely replace the old system right now. Perhaps they could be combined? All those that are interested and have time sail to a neutral port (Plymouth or, in my opinion even better, Island Harbour), but the event system is used for the first battle if possible - and people who are unable to get to the designated port can at least participate in that one. If it fails to initiate or more battles are wished for, it can be done in the old fashioned way.

Is it because of crafting or testers have already seen everything and now just wait for port battles and new ships?

We don't plan to add any significant new blood until early access opens. You guys do an awesome job already by providing us enough bug reports and things to tune and fix.

Id say it has to do with the fact you don't know when the events are happening unless you are in port. 

Due to lack of communication it can be very hard to organise 30+ ppl in 5 mins.

lol even when we advertised an hour in advance for the trafs a month ago it still took a LONG time to sort out.

Mabie change the event lobby to similar to ST but give a few ppl (that are trusted) the ability to drag drop players into the team boxes and be able to force start the match once ppl are set. 

• Like 1

The Traf battles I saw on youtube is what brought me here. I have only been playing 3 days, and the first I did a lot of new character's to check out most of the start locations. I have most of Saturday to myself as the wife and daughter are busy so would love to get into a battle, but I only have a yacht and JL rank. But I can sink with the best of them (that's why my character name is Isink Alot)! So what time of the day do these occur?

I think part of the problem is risk vs reward.  There is not even double gold/xp for these events and you have a chance to loose your ship so only the really hardcore pvper's will play at this point. Before crafting came out, everyone had like 10 1st rates so no one really cared if they lost dura, but now that most ppl only have a few main ships, they don't want to lose what they have.

I bet if you made a post that said 'everyone who joins this traf on Saturday will get a crafting note' you would see 100 people magically show up  :)

Id say it has to do with the fact you don't know when the events are happening unless you are in port. 

Due to lack of communication it can be very hard to organise 30+ ppl in 5 mins.

lol even when we advertised an hour in advance for the trafs a month ago it still took a LONG time to sort out.

Mabie change the event lobby to similar to ST but give a few ppl (that are trusted) the ability to drag drop players into the team boxes and be able to force start the match once ppl are set. 

As Dazed said, most gamers aren't exactly punctual, there should be no hard countdown on filling the room.  The countdown should hold off completely until at least 10 players have joined, 36 is way too many as a minimum.  Also once the room opens, I would keep it open for like 30 minutes instead of only 5 minutes until 10 players join.  What happens is ppl are always trying to finish up that last trade run beforehand and get stuck against the wind in the OW or something.

The Traf battles I saw on youtube is what brought me here. I have only been playing 3 days, and the first I did a lot of new character's to check out most of the start locations. I have most of Saturday to myself as the wife and daughter are busy so would love to get into a battle, but I only have a yacht and JL rank. But I can sink with the best of them (that's why my character name is Isink Alot)! So what time of the day do these occur?

Check the original post, they usually happen around 3-4 PM EDT on Saturdays.  Look at the events tab in port and you can see a timed large battle countdown timer.  When that countdown reaches zero, then everyone can join.  Alternatively you can also just ask SteelSandwich or DazedNConfused in global chat 30 minutes beforehand what's going on.

Edited by Booyaah

Check the original post, they usually happen around 3-4 PM EDT on Saturdays.  Look at the events tab in port and you can see a timed large battle countdown timer.  When that countdown reaches zero, then everyone can join.  Alternatively you can also just ask SteelSandwich or DazedNConfused in global chat 30 minutes beforehand what's going on.

Any ship or rank requirements? I might be able to cap a snow by then! hum...... TS info in the other post still good?

Bring whatever you want!  Even a yacht I'd say is fine at this point.  

Yes you can join the dutch teamspeak and chat with them they are nice ppl, you might need to poke one of their TS admins and ask for basic permissions.

Tonight's battle was quite enjoyable - for some reason the matchmaker saw fit to exclude the smaller ships, however.

I think we need more incentives for these Events - double xp/gold perhaps otherwise this game mode will remain deserted.

Tonight's battle was quite enjoyable - for some reason the matchmaker saw fit to exclude the smaller ships, however.

I think we need more incentives for these Events - double xp/gold perhaps otherwise this game mode will remain deserted.

There were multiple comments from captains that Sea trials 1 like events were extremely enjoyable they asked to bring them back!. 

They are back - we listen. We have not received multiple congratulatory messages and thank you notes for that from those captains. Most people who requested them have not returned and are not playing. We were very worried that you guys will mostly sit in small events fighting equal battles, emptying the open world. But seems like our view is right.

Knowledge confirmed.

data is more valuable than an average individual player view (of course with exceptions).

if events require additional rewards to bring players in that means that they don't provide enough excitement and are not valuable at all gameplay wise when there is an immersive open world nearby. But they have very good utility function and help to arrange equal battles. 

• Like 1

when events first came out many ppl were interested - but then there were issues with it in the beginning and you still need to coincide the event times when you are in port.

id say these are the factors that limit ppl using events:

1. you lose duras in them - make some skirmish rooms for ppl to train and duel risk free.

2. if you look for an event at the wrong time you need to wait for a match- or just you need to wait for a match to open.

3. ship availability.

The event setup as it is now is great!

No need to improve the gold reward for it, you don't want to create a system that is a reliable gold farm.

1x g/xp is more than plenty. Prestige is the real reward of the large event.

@ dmin

Thank you for providing the needed changes. It worked very well yesterday and it shows promise for future events!

There were multiple comments from captains that Sea trials 1 like events were extremely enjoyable they asked to bring them back!. 

They are back - we listen. We have not received multiple congratulatory messages and thank you notes for that from those captains. Most people who requested them have not returned and are not playing. We were very worried that you guys will mostly sit in small events fighting equal battles, emptying the open world. But seems like our view is right.

Knowledge confirmed.

data is more valuable than an average individual player view (of course with exceptions).

if events require additional rewards to bring players in that means that they don't provide enough excitement and are not valuable at all gameplay wise when there is an immersive open world nearby. But they have very good utility function and help to arrange equal battles. 

If I haven't done so already, this Beagle is very grateful you added the events. :) What I'm saying is merely that we almost didn't get to play the battle because we were short of players and like you said there aren't that many ppl interested in this event.. hence the idea of better rewards as advertisement.

Events are nowhere near of becoming a farming avenue.. if that changes by all means reduce rewards.