Game-Labs Forum

Arranged Weekend Trafalgars anyone???

Booyaah

Shooting sails to burn a repair is an exploit?  Since when?

While I don't like unified repairs personally, shooting sails is strategy, not an exploit.  It has been since ST1 when we had unified repairs as well.  It's risky.  If you fail to be successful at it, then the enemy has all that time that you were shooting sails to simply shoot your hull.  Leaving you at a dps disadvantage.

Not wanting unified repairs is one thing, but complaining about people using strategy to win battles under the current game mechanic conditions is something else.

If something can not be an exploit because it is 'available under current game mechanics' - then there are no exploits.

And in those terms you are right - how can it be an exploit if there is no such thing?

I just worry that this'll make PVP duller and less popular if it becomes the default tactic that you have to use to win.

And that it is unrealistic because in real life the (French) habit of shooting at rigging pretty much always failed against the (British) habit of shooting at a ship's hull.

regards

I dont agree that its the default tactic - its a tool in the toolbox when an enemy approaches an opposing line in a certain way

eg. a team decides to go straight at the line to cut the enemy team in half - nelson style - but they forget that one of the best naval tactics of all time is crossing your enemies T, allowing your whole line to focus on the lead ships of the enemy.

As the current mechanics make ship bows pretty strong, the obvious alternative is the sails or masts which are conveniently in line, which puts them all in the beaten zone (cone of fire) of the enemy combatants.

All tactics that you can dream up will have a counter when you think about it - experience is the key.

PS. Runners be running.

• Like 1

We had a discussion about all carronade fleets before the previous Trafalgar, since they were felt to be unrealistic and too powerful. We decided against implementing a rule since all  carronade vessels ( shooting doubles) were maximising an aspect of the game mechanics back then. Their excessive use did help to change the game mechanic in a meaningful way and in the end the test-feedback-change cycle worked.

We use these rather unique, massive battles to test mechanics and tactics, pushing the limit way beyond your usual engagements. The last Trafalgar did influence the way repairs are working now. So let us keep adapting and finding out what exactly needs to change regarding the current mechanics without additional boundaries, hampering our work. 

Btw. so far I only found Brandon's footage of the 25th here:

Where did the rest upload theirs? I also like to see more feedback from the battles here :)

Edited by Jacob de Montagne
  • Like 2

I dont agree that its the default tactic - its a tool in the toolbox when an enemy approaches an opposing line in a certain way

eg. a team decides to go straight at the line to cut the enemy team in half - nelson style - but they forget that one of the best naval tactics of all time is crossing your enemies T, allowing your whole line to focus on the lead ships of the enemy.

As the current mechanics make ship bows pretty strong, the obvious alternative is the sails or masts which are conveniently in line, which puts them all in the beaten zone (cone of fire) of the enemy combatants.

All tactics that you can dream up will have a counter when you think about it - experience is the key.

PS. Runners be running.

I don't think it's the default tactic - but because of the repair mech at the moment it COULD become the default.

And that if that happens the devs may consider separating hull and sail repairs again.

regards 

I don't think it's the default tactic - but because of the repair mech at the moment it COULD become the default.

And that if that happens the devs may consider separating hull and sail repairs again.

regards 

I would like this too ^. The ideal compromise will be 2 of both hull and sail reps (on separate 10 min timers) and the module rep as it is now - still on timer.

The old repairs in ST1 had the option of hull, sail, pump, rudder, and mag. So you had 3 but you JUST repaired what you chose.

In this current Rep test you hit repair and it does both hull and sail. HOWEVER, if you are both masted and your hull is hurt i want to prioritise where that rep goes. who cares about sails if you are about to sink?

This was the first Trafalgar i've been apart of since Sea Trials and it was a blast. I was only there for the first one but I can't wait until these happen regularly in the open world.

As a bonus you get a ton of gold from these battles.

3324574.jpg

Oh wow. That is sweet. To bad I only have a Cutter :(

Edited by Suriel

I had a pretty good multi-demast off a single broadside on Snoopy (maybe a tad bit lucky :P ), but I was never using chain.  I don't like the lack of range or slow projectile speed (plus too many people furl sails as soon as they see a chain shot).  I think demasting and damaging sails is effective in Trafalgar though, most ppl will not even re-actively pull up to battle sails when their sails are getting shot.  They get caught up worrying about 5 other things happening and their position all at the same time that they forget the basic things sometimes.

HjUb0PH.png

p.s.  And WTH everytime I watch the videos you guys always say 'target booyaah first' :o

Edited by Booyaah

regards 

It's a tactic.  Even if sail repairs were separate from hull repairs, you should still use it.   The whole idea is if you can demast and/or slow your charging opponent, then that leaves them stuck in the middle of a proverbial killing field...

We had a discussion about all carronade fleets before the previous Trafalgar, since they were felt to be unrealistic and too powerful. We decided against implementing a rule since all  carronade vessels ( shooting doubles) were maximising an aspect of the game mechanics back then. Their excessive use did help to change the game mechanic in a meaningful way and in the end the test-feedback-change cycle worked.

We use these rather unique, massive battles to test mechanics and tactics, pushing the limit way beyond your usual engagements. The last Trafalgar did influence the way repairs are working now. So let us keep adapting and finding out what exactly needs to change regarding the current mechanics without additional boundaries, hampering our work. 

Btw. so far I only found Brandon's footage of the 25th here:

Where did the rest upload theirs? I also like to see more feedback from the battles here :)

a bit late but here is mine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKYLGOOJVQM

I always record the trafalgars i am part of.

Edited by OlavDeng2
  • Like 1

I cannot really organise the entire event tonight. Although I am staying home, contrary to my original plans, I cannot speak and play that long due to a flu.

We will still meet up and have at least one battle, same time same place.

Feel free to organise a frigate fight for tomorrow, Chromey, I cannot help at the moment.

Third time I sink first, I am doing something wrong! :)

We started late but managed to have three battles thanks to a warm up skirmish.

Losses in these fleet engagements are quite light (if you do not suicide your ship like me, trying to breach the line) and most ships lost are frigates being boarded or sunk by 3rd or 1st rates. One hour proved to be insufficient to end these battles decisively as the last number of battles showed. I like the pace of the battles, a big fleet engagement ought to take longer than a duel. One participant suggested an increase of time for big engagements, maybe time scaling with BR. I understand that not everyone has the time to do so. Let's think about that though!

Here is the footage from the 1st event battle, fast forward to 6:00 to view the opening salvo. Involved Nations: US, Dutch, British, Danish, Pirate, French, Spanish in order of participating numbers. In total we had 39 players involved.

https://youtu.be/7SSny0nOzmw?t=360

Thank you all for coming.

• Like 2

Ah i see Markus, a.k.a. Jacob de Montagne, was so friendly to post my YouTube clip. Thnx markus for posting it!! :)

It was a great battle again!

At this moment im also working on the warm up battle we had with the English. Ofcourse not in free flight mode this time... When fighting real enemies i rather be in my Victory.

You can also see footage of that battle soon on my YouTube page.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

Greetingses :)

I am a bit annoyed by the captions in the videos of last Saturday accusing us (SLRN) of trying to interfere with Trafalgar, and it was very bizarre how the big pre-Traf battle was interpreted in the Dutch ts channel (still love you guys) vs what happened on our side.

There were no hostile intention towards the event on our part (and we had a few non-SLRN GB players in our ts at the time who should be able to verify this)

If you recall global chat this was an agreed engagement (TDA/SLRN) which was delayed by US players getting tagged by AI (it happens, and it would have been tight even under perfect circumstances) and I even mentioned before that we would be running late for Traf.

If you have sailed in that battle (nobody was forced to join!) you agreed to it and cannot then claim we did something vile and unspeakable.

I still enjoyed the event (sailing alongside TDA players no less) and I'm looking forward to the next.

Yeah, I must've missed it in the video, but the SLRN battle was just a happy opportunity.  It delayed the Trafalgar, but everyone I know was fine with it.  No hard feelings from us.