Game-Labs Forum

Seasonal Patch: The Missing Links Part 1

admin

On 8/22/2020 at 12:50 PM, admin said:

2300 for long guns is just groshen compared to what navy guns will cost when they will be added to crafting.

@admin, your comment here got my attention. When are you planning to make Navy, and presumably Congreve and Blomefield, if not Pood Edinorog, guns available for crafting? A Forge was my first "building" and I'd love to be able to craft Blomefields, in particular, for myself.

Cheers 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Koltes said:

Go battle sails to increase armor by 25% and have damage reduction by 30%, due to less stress on the masts applied by the wind force.

I really like that too. Its fantastic and helps to make demasting harder

It is so unconnected with reality that I do not know what to say)

Thickness does not matter. 4th-5th rates have 115 base thickness. even long 18pd cannon has 174*1.05=182 pen. on 200m. Ship with navy mast + maximum port bonus + teak(s) build on battle sails has 179 thickness. Damage reduction does not matter as well, it is 2-3 more shots. Demasting became much easier than before if we add overall speed reduction from last patch and battle sails. Any pvp encounter now became a mast sniping fest.

• Like 1

@jodgi 

mast sniping got way harder, due to the ínaccuracy of single shots. To compensate for that people can put on sights. but if they do, they dont put on other mods. and its still harder.

It used to be that the mastes are basically the one spot on the ship that is damageable from every angle. While that being still the case, you can protect vs it by not getting mastraked, and if you do, you can to to even half sails or even slow, to prevent a lot of the damage. 

I am not saying its a complete protection, but nothing ever gets completely protected. There is just something you can do. Single shot mast sniping has become way harder due to the inaccuracy. Something along the lines of Turpos' mast hit accuracy just isnt possible anymore. At least thats my experience now. It might change when we have more data.

I mostly like the windshaddow. 

It is because it becomes really hard to follow someone through the tack, rake them and then speed away, which is what doran allways did to me ;) It is because when you tack, ofc you will get raked, but the enemy will be immediately in your wind shadow and you will be behind them for a counterrake and you will get in 2 rakes, because the enemy has to tack. You know the game. Basically for every rake from downwind then the enemy is tacking you will recieve 2 rakes in the following or 1 broadside and a rake, depending on what you will do. But the most important part is that you will be slower with your tack than the enemy because you are going into the tack with less energy due to the windshadow.  

Again this is from limited experience with the new mechanics. We will see how it all plays out. 

• Like 3

There is one more thing which i am curious about. Since  when you rake the enemy during their tack, you are in their wind shadow. So if the enemy reverses the tack, you have little way to prevent overshooting. The wind shadow is not only slowing you down when you want to speed up, it's also preventing you from slowing down intentionally. So keeping behind someone through the tack is harder. Overall for me it means that: if you give up the wind for a rake, you better make  it worth it, because in almost 100% of the cases its better to just keep the wind if you have it.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Puchu said:

There is one more thing which i am curious about. Since  when you rake the enemy during their tack, you are in their wind shadow. So if the enemy reverses the tack, you have little way to prevent overshooting. The wind shadow is not only slowing you down when you want to speed up, it's also preventing you from slowing down intentionally. So keeping behind someone through the tack is harder. Overall for me it means that: if you give up the wind for a rake, you better make  it worth it, because in almost 100% of the cases its better to just keep the wind if you have it.

Yes exactly and that was part of the reason I was able to put up a fight against 3 frigates on my earlier example. Careful tacking, keeping the wind and placing your wind shadow over other people is a recipe for success :)  

• Like 1

Today's hotfix

Fin_003_s.png

• Hercules, Pandora, Xebec HP buffed, thickness buffed
  • Turning curves changed slightly for more turning penalty at full speed and at less penalties at low speed.
    • Optimal turning zone is from 50 to 85% ship speed. With increased resistance the ability of rudder to turn the ship becomes worse due to resistance of keel
  • Full sails receive a penalty to turning and slightly increased penalty to mast thickness and hp.
  • Determined defender now requires attacker to have 30% more crew to overcome stiff resistance. 
  • Like 11

8 minutes ago, admin said:

Today's hotfix

Fin_003_s.png

• Turning curves changed slightly for more turning penalty at full speed and at less penalties at low speed.
    • Optimal turning zone is from 50 to 85% ship speed. With increased resistance the ability of rudder to turn the ship becomes worse due to resistance of keel
  • Full sails receive a penalty to turning and slightly increased penalty to mast thickness and hp.
  • Determined defender now requires 30% more crew to overcome stiff resistance. 

Awesome changes! love that you're further making full sails weaker.

Regarding determined defender is that a 30% advantage for the defender? or attacker.

Like if ship A has 100 crew and ship B wants to board ship A with 101 crew it could with current mechanics.

Does ship B need 130 crew now to be able to board the 100 crew ship A? or does ship A need 130 crew to be safe to be boarded by the 100 crew ship B. 

26 minutes ago, admin said:

Today's hotfix

• Determined defender now requires 30% more crew to overcome stiff resistance. 

Could you please collaborate a little more on this?
Does this mean that if enemy has 100 crew I must have 130 crew for my determined defender perk to kick in? 

Edited by Koltes

1 hour ago, admin said:

Today's hotfix

Fin_003_s.png

• Determined defender now requires attacker to have 30% more crew to overcome stiff resistance. 

nice improvements. the determined defender should only work if the player is prepared already

Interesting hotfix. Boarding is too strong now though and I fear nerfing determined defender will make it even stronger... those that can't fight proper battle but just rageboard will prevail even with no other skill... (I'm looking at you WTF/CNS).

Edit: apparently you fixed the main post so it's a buff to determined defender, if I got it right this time around. Thanks.

Edited by Frosty

51 minutes ago, Darth Sidious said:

I like the way you illustrated the patch.. You have amazing image editing skills. I hope August Friedrich Siegert would have thought the same. :D

Hopefully soon you will be able to accompany the description with videos.

Yeah. Nicely done. Original by A.F. Siegert is called "Der kleine Kunstfreund", painted 1859.

csm_200305stadtmuseum2_df718b17be.jpg

Edited by Cetric de Cornusiac

1 hour ago, admin said:

Ok.... this is food for thought for PVE.

My initial complaint was that, against elites and HDF you could be rageboarded if you're not fast enough, enough of a reason to not even try battle sails. However, with this change, I'll give battle sails a shot.

• Like 2

Determined defender now requires attacker to have 30% more crew to overcome stiff resistance. 

@admin Will upgrades like double-hammocks then give MORE CREW?

cause a very cramped 1st rate with double hamocks still doenst have 30% more crew than the same ship without hamocks nor beeing cramped or very cramped.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Andi421 said:

cause a very cramped 1st rate with double hamocks still doenst have 30% more crew than the same ship without hamocks nor beeing cramped or very cramped.

Attacker will have to reduce enemy's crew in combat then, till he's able to board.

@admin Is twitching Trinco fleet in planning? It is way too hard to be tied with RVR.
Flags = RVR activity
Chests = ability to fight PBs competitively

Specifically:
1. Tag is the problem (ship is surrounded by AI)
2. Tagged ship is cut off from the wind and cant move
3. With high pen from sharp angles the tagged ship is 75% chance to die
4. Sometimes to get a single flag we have to grind 3-4 fleets = potentially loosing 3-4 1st rates